• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrarca

Banned
AVS: Are you guys morons? They include PS3 games because they're made on Blu-Ray as well! Thats why there's such a surge! HELLO???

PS3 which is 95% of the Blu-ray base puts its games on blu-ray discs. This article plays around with terms like "software" and "discs". Movies are never mentioned.

Therefore, they are including videogames in their numbers.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I thought I've seen it all at GameFaq or GameSpot........AVS beat'em by a mile

Have you guys seen the front cover/cover story of this month's issue of the AV Magazine The Perfect Vision yet? There are pics and scans going around in the usual places...

Hint: Big picture of the PS3. In a huge yellow type overlay...

SONY PS3
World's Best Blu-ray Player!

I'd post the pic of the online version, but I'm still not sure what the rules are for that sort of thing. You can get the online PDF version of the magazine for free on their website.

And Sony's strategy all comes 'round, full circle...

chubigans said:
Ill assume its not true considering this has never been done with DVD sales...PS2, Xbox and Xbox 360 games are pressed on a DVD, after all.

Nielsen handles movies, not formats.

It occurred to me later that Universal and Toshiba would have access to the same data, and could quickly point out such shenannigans.

Hellraizah

I think the war is far from over. It would probably be over if Universal was turning neutral. It's still on HD DVD side. Also, some companies listed as "Blu-Ray supporters" only are neutral, like Apple and Samsung.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Pristine_Condition said:
Have you guys seen the front cover/cover story of this month's issue of the AV Magazine The Perfect Vision yet? There are pics and scans going around in the usual places...

Hint: Big picture of the PS3. In a huge yellow type overlay...

I'd post the pic of the online version, but I'm still not sure what the rules are for that sort of thing. You can get the online PDF version of the magazine for free on their website.

And Sony's strategy all comes 'round, full circle...

I don't know. I ran into one thing with the PS3 playback that really annoys me (but most people here will dismiss it/try to spin it into a positive).

Using the PS3 BRD remote I pause a movie. Now, with most standalone DVD players and the 360 HD-DVD drive you can normally hit the "Play" button to resume playback; so I'm used to doing so. But on the PS3 with the remote if you hit "Play" on a paused movie it kicks you out to the XMB dashboard and you have to restart the disc to continue from where you paused.

This can obviously be fixed in a firmware update.

ManaByte said:
I don't know. I ran into one thing with the PS3 playback that really annoys me (but most people here will dismiss it/try to spin it into a positive).

Using the PS3 BRD remote I pause a movie. Now, with most standalone DVD players and the 360 HD-DVD drive you can normally hit the "Play" button to resume playback; so I'm used to doing so. But on the PS3 with the remote if you hit "Play" on a paused movie it kicks you out to the XMB dashboard and you have to restart the disc to continue from where you paused.

On the contrary, how annoying is it when you press the eject button of the 360 addon remote and your console's tray opens up? Who deserves to be shot for that one?

I've had many instances when I put a disc in and the HD DVD drive just refuses to read it until I eject it and back in.

ManaByte

Gold Member
DarkJediKnight said:
On the contrary, how annoying is it when you press the eject button of the 360 addon remote and your console's tray opens up? Who deserves to be shot for that one?

I've had many instances when I put a disc in and the HD DVD drive just refuses to read it until I eject it and back in.

What the **** does the PS3 BRD playback have to do with HD-DVD?

:lol :lol at Blu-ray people declaring the format war over. You guys can't just make the format wars end by saying they are over :lol :lol :lol This war depends on what the studios and consumers say, not just a few hundred, or thousand, uber-hardcore video fanatics.

Also, if you seriously believe that Universal is going to jump ship based on 3 weeks of sales when this war has only about 1% of all possible consumers on board, you are indeed crazy. They are in this for the long run, not just for the first few months.

P.S. even if HD-DVD did go under tomorrow, I still would be satisfied with my purchase of a $200 add-on (because I would still have access to over 100 HD movies and they would be cheap).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ChrisJames said:
:lol :lol at Blu-ray people declaring the format war over. You guys can't just make the format wars end by saying they are over :lol :lol :lol This war depends on what the studios and consumers say, not just a few hundred, or thousand, uber-hardcore video fanatics.

Also, if you seriously believe that Universal is going to jump ship based on 3 weeks of sales when this war has only about 1% of all possible consumers on board, you are indeed crazy. They are in this for the long run, not just for the first few months.

P.S. even if HD-DVD did go under tomorrow, I still would be satisfied with my purchase of a $200 add-on (because I would still have access to over 100 HD movies and they would be cheap).

Yes, lets all ignore the fact that

-Universal is the only company exclusive to HD-DVD
-They are only releasing a few movies between now and June
-There will be tons of exclusive releases by the five exclusive BD companies in the same timeframe
-This pattern of sales will likely continue unless HD-DVD pumps out the software. And because they're five companies short, thats a bit harder to do.

ManaByte said:
What the **** does the PS3 BRD playback have to do with HD-DVD?

What I'm saying is that these are consoles first. Both formats have their minor glitches when it comes to playing HD movies.

ChrisJames said:

I'm not declaring victory, but there have been articles recently from people who follow these sort of things saying that given the huge amount of titles coming out on Blu-ray, the gap will continue to get bigger - meaning Blu-ray's worse days are behind them. Think about it, Universal is not even in the same league as Sony, Fox, Disney in terms of quantity of new titles. And if there's one thing I learned from this format war is that NEW TITLES SELL!! Universal has some amazing back catalog, but those movies don't sell because not a lot of people want to double dip on say - Sting and Deer Hunter.

Universal has Jaws, Battlestar, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park 1, ET, and that's really it in terms of titles that can sell well.

I think the format war hinges on whether or not Blu-ray can get the Java 1.1 into their players in time for Warner's Harry Potter and Matrix movies. Because from what it looks like Warner may release them on HD DVD first until 1.1 Java is completed that allows true PIP and interactivity.

wasting

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
What I'm saying is that these are consoles first. Both formats have their minor glitches when it comes to playing HD movies.

Isn't PS3 supposed to be the best Bluray player though? Noone claims 360 addon to be

wasting said:
Isn't PS3 supposed to be the best Bluray player though? Noone claims 360 addon to be

The PS3 IS the best Blu-ray from many points. But people shouldn't confuse best with best picture quality. The Pioneer Elite Blu-ray and the Panasonic look better. IMO, you can only tell on a huge 8 foot screen really. These are still $1000 dedicated machines. This is serious hardware. The PS3 certainly beats the living shit out of the Samsung player. I'd say that if The 2 mentioned have a A rating for video, the PS3 is an A-, and Samsung a C+ before firware update and B- after update.

Well, aside from the pause issue which is an easy firmware fix, the other is the 720p playback, and the occasional disc reading glitches.

The 360 add on IMO, freezes constantly for me during layer changes. It has terrible audio, and the eject system is downright stupid but video playback is real good.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ok, who started the debate on which was a better player, the 360 Addon or PS3? :lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
Suikoguy said:
Ok, who started the debate on which was a better player, the 360 Addon or PS3? :lol

DarkJediKnight.

Pristine_Condition posted a link to a site calling the PS3 the best BRD player and I kind of disagree due to the pause issue and many other issues that stand alone players don't have and then DarkJediKnight had to try to spin it by bashing the 360 HD-DVD player to divert attention away from the PS3.

Again, I fail to see what PS3 BRD playback has to do with the 360 HD-DVD player and why that player had to be brought up at all when it has nothing to do with fixable issues on the PS3 aside from trying to divert attention.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
ManaByte said:
Again, I fail to see what PS3 BRD playback has to do with the 360 HD-DVD player and why that player had to be brought up at all when it has nothing to do with fixable issues on the PS3 aside from trying to divert attention.

Besides the fact it has nothing to do with this thread, which has to do with Sales.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
<distraction attempt> Hey guys... you ever see a flying pig? </distraction attempt>

ManaByte said:
DarkJediKnight.

Pristine_Condition posted a link to a site calling the PS3 the best BRD player and I kind of disagree due to the pause issue and many other issues that stand alone players don't have and then DarkJediKnight had to try to spin it by bashing the 360 HD-DVD player to divert attention away from the PS3.

What the hell are you talking about? You brought the 360 addon into discussion when talking about the PS3 pause issue - NOT ME! You compared the pause issue directly to the 260 addon. If that's not bashing, I don't know what is.

I then mentioned that while PS3's blu-ray playback does have issues, so does the HD DVD addon, comparing the ejecting methods of both systems. With the BD remote, you press eject and the disc is out, not so with the Addon.

Maybe you ought to go back and read what you wrote before flinging shit.

ManaByte

Gold Member
DarkJediKnight said:
What the hell are you talking about? You brought the 360 addon into discussion when talking about the PS3 pause issue. You compared the pause issue directly to the 260 addon. If that's not bashing, I don't know what is.

No I compared the pause issue to nearly every other disc player out there, and it's something that only happens with the PS3.

Suikoguy said:
Besides the fact it has nothing to do with this thread, which has to do with Sales.

Sorry but this is the closest thing we have to an official Blu-Ray thread since the mods locked the official one.

ManaByte said:

That's really annoying. I won't try to spin it into a positive, but I will note that it hasn't happened to me.

Does it happen every time? With every movie?

Just curious, sicne I've only watched a few BDs since I got the remote.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ignatz Mouse said:
That's really annoying. I won't try to spin it into a positive, but I will note that it hasn't happened to me.

Does it happen every time? With every movie?

Just curious, sicne I've only watched a few BDs since I got the remote.

Yup. I have 15 Blu-Ray discs and have watched maybe six or seven of them since I got the remote and it happens on every one.

ManaByte said:
No I compared the pause issue to nearly every other disc player out there, and it's something that only happens with the PS3.

You say it happens to you, it hasn't happened to me. And I think it's more your system than anything, have it checked out or replaced under warranty if it bothers you (which it should).

ManaByte

Gold Member
DarkJediKnight said:
You say it happens to you, it hasn't happened to me. And I think it's more your system than anything.

Why do I suddenly feel like I'm at AVS?

It's easily reproducable if you actually own a PS3 and the Blu-Ray remote. Start a movie, hit the pause button, and then hit the "Play" button on the remote to resume it.

Then again, I don't ever expect certain people to admit to that happening.

From the Gaming Forum thread on the 1.51 firmware:
knitoe said:
Wonder if it fix the Terminator 2 pause problem I had. I'll have to watch the whole movie again to find out.

Other people are experiencing this issue with BRD playback. Stop trying to spin it.

ManaByte said:
Why do I suddenly feel like I'm at AVS?

It's easily reproducable if you actually own a PS3 and the Blu-Ray remote. Start a movie, hit the pause button, and then hit the "Play" button on the remote to resume it.

Then again, I don't ever expect certain people to admit to that happening.

I don't know but here, look. PS3 paused during back to back screen shots of Crank.

1crank5.jpg

1crank4.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on

Would someone else please do this and confirm that it is a problem(which has already been confirmed elsewhere) so we can move on?

EDIT:

Mana did you just try it and its not doing it anymore? I see you posted that in another thread.

ManaByte

Gold Member
DarienA said:
Would someone else please do this and confirm that it is a problem(which has already been confirmed elsewhere) so we can move on?

I actually think 1.50 broke it. It happened to me last night while watching Open Season (the best BRD transfer yet, moreso than Crank).

But this morning they patched 1.51 and I just tried it with Open Season and it looks like they may have fixed it. I'll try it on some other discs tonight.

Suikoguy

ManaByte said:
I actually think 1.50 broke it. It happened to me last night while watching Open Season (the best BRD transfer yet, moreso than Crank).

But this morning they patched 1.51 and I just tried it with Open Season and it looks like they may have fixed it. I'll try it on some other discs tonight.

Yes, 1.50 had issues. I did not however, know that 1.51 was already out and fixed it.. Good :)

I was sick on Monday, and I watched Goodfellas during the day, during which I paused and then hit play a number of times. Did not happen.

I watched Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back a few days before that, ditto.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen to you, just that it did not happen to me. No spin.

Edit: Perhaps it hinges on resolution settings or somewuch? Or how it's connected? Anyway, it looks like they fixed it.

The Main Event said:
Why are people always ignoring The Weinstein Company?

I dunno. I really don't know their status, as I have Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back on BluRay, but apparently none of their other stuff is coming.

ManaByte said:
But on the PS3 with the remote if you hit "Play" on a paused movie it kicks you out to the XMB dashboard and you have to restart the disc to continue from where you paused.

So has this actually happend to anyone else besides this guy? I haven't updated to 1.51 yet but I've never had a problem pausing then playing with the remote or the controller. You sure you're not inadvertently hitting the stop button or something (it's right over the pause button you know)?

And please don't tell me I'm trying to spin anything, good grief.

Bebpo

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
So has this actually happend to anyone else besides this guy? I haven't updated to 1.51 yet but I've never had a problem pausing then playing with the remote or the controller. You sure you're not inadvertently hitting the stop button or something (it's right over the pause button you know)?

And please don't tell me I'm trying to spin anything, good grief.

It's Manabyte. He seems to encounter strange problems with everything PS3/Blu-ray related... (see FFXII BC for details).

ManaByte

Gold Member
Bebpo said:
It's Manabyte. He seems to encounter strange problems with everything PS3/Blu-ray related... (see FFXII BC for details).

1.51 also fixed the lingering BC problems that were not in 1.50.

xaosslug

Bebpo said:

:lol

and now that the "issue" is fixed he doesn't seem at all phased, in fact he's coming off like it wasn't a big deal at all.

ManaByte

Gold Member
xaosslug said:
:lol

and now that the "issue" is fixed he doesn't seem at all phased, in fact he's coming off like it wasn't a big deal at all.

My initial post said it could easily be fixed with a firmware update. 1.51 came out and it seems to have fixed it, especially since it just popped up when 1.50 came out.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
DarkJediKnight said:
I don't know but here, look. PS3 paused during back to back screen shots of Crank.

1crank5.jpg

1crank4.jpg

Those pictures of Crank look great. Is the actual movie as good as the quality of those pictures?

ManaByte

Gold Member
mckmas8808 said:
Those pictures of Crank look great. Is the actual movie as good as the quality of those pictures?

Open Season is better:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/openseason.html

Crank has annoying edge enhancement, which should've been left behind with DVD.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/crank.html
Despite all this, the presentation retains a weird consistency in its very inconsistency -- it only takes to a few minutes to get used to the approach and just go with it. Colors are never overdone, so the transfer retains a pleasing, natural, highly-detailed look throughout. My only real caveat is some slight but noticeable edge enhancement. Thin halos are present throughout, and there is more stair-stepping than I'm used to seeing in high-def. For example, in the opening scene there is a moving POV shot across a carpet with a hard-edge pattern, where jagged edges are clearly visible. This is the only drawback to a transfer that otherwise would have earned a five-star rating.

ManaByte

Gold Member
mckmas8808 said:
Sounds like we are talking about a videogame. So Open Season looks like the downloable trailer on the PSN store right?

I haven't seen the PSN store trailer, but the transfer is perfect.

Petrarca

Banned
HD-DVD fans at AVS are so mad that they are boycotting HD-DVD. It's a meltdown over there. :lol :lol :lol

Universal & Toshiba just need to get this over with already, it's bad for the hi-def industry. By prolonging the war they limit the growth.

some of AVS comments

Call me troll or whatever names you want to call me. run around in circles like scared fanboys. delete this post if you want. i give up.

i originally went with HD DVD because of MOVIES! hd dvd simply had more of the movies i wanted. what happened? hd dvd seems to have little interest in pushing their product. they have more old movies than current movies. their upcoming releases are practically non-existant. they don't appear motivated and i've lost almost all confidence in it, thanks to them.

why should i keep supporting a system that gives the impression of it being on it's deathbed?

instead of spending money on any more hd dvds, i'm putting it towards a BD player! i figure 2 things could happen if more people do this:

1. HD DVD gets off it's ass and kicks it into high gear and earns my support again.

2. HD DVD dies off quicker and BD gets Universal movies, which will be great for everyone!

how you would see me as a troll rather than a really pissed off HD DVD supporter is beyond me. fanboys don't know what else to do but cry troll. maybe if you actually CARED about better home entertainment rather than being a fanboy for one system or another, you'd actually see my point. and i don't think a troll would own the Toshiba HD-A1 along with the movies:
Aeon Flux
Unforgiven
The Thing
The Hulk
Christmas Story
Slither
Constantine
Van Helsing(you HAD to be an HD DVD supporter to buy THAT movie!)
King Kong
Blazing Saddles
Batman
Superman Returns
Doom
Pitch Black
Chronicles of Riddick
Army of Darkness
Sleepy Hollow
Lady in the Water
V for Vendetta
The Grinch
Wolf Creek
Corpse Bride
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Current BD Player: None.
Current BDs: None.

that's my story and i'm sticking with it.

I think you're voicing much of the frustration that many people are feeling right now for the same reason. To me, it's disappointing when the consumer cares more about the product (seemingly) than the companies that created it.

The hell is going on with HD-DVD? I bought a PS3 just because I was like others sick of the low disc output. However, that doesn't mean I don't still love HD-DVD. Anyways, I know there has been a million of these posts. But, I've never expressed my thoughts and by god if HD-DVD wants to just hang around then why did they ever get involved in the first place? They need to get it going. Why all the hard work just to go flatter than a pitcher of the house special? Why even get in the game if you were gonna fold like Andy Roddick in the US Open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom