• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I dont want to crap up this thread like last week when the guy sold his ps3 and u guys got all butt hurt. So oni jazer you just keep believing what u want.
If anyone here is into slasher flicks I picked up Black Christmas @ Fry's for $19.99 the pq is really good. Next week Dead Silence.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
anyone have any coupons for SVS? Im ordering two PB10 NSD's, one for my pops and one for me.

captive

Days like these... said:
I dont want to crap up this thread like last week when the guy sold his ps3 and u guys got all butt hurt. So oni jazer you just keep believing what u want.
If anyone here is into slasher flicks I picked up Black Christmas @ Fry's for $19.99 the pq is really good. Next week Dead Silence.
I dont think anyone was butt hurt that he sold his PS3, it was more of the attitude that he came in with asking who is winning the "war" and then he says he sold his PS3 but wants a stand alone anyway, and then says he picks HD DVD because it has less of a chance to fail, even though he just asked who was winning.

/doesnt care about "shitting up the thread"

Raistlin

Argyle said:
paidgeek (the Sony insider on AVS Forum) has gone on record saying that the master for House of Flying Daggers is very soft, so the current BD pretty much is as good as it gets :(

I don't have it ... but I thought it was noisy? If not, maybe I'll get it then.

I hope it has PCM audio :(

Raistlin

Oni Jazar said:
This is why Planet Earth HD DVD is selling so well on amazon:

:lol

I can't imagine there are all that many people the fell into this ... but it's pretty damn funny IMO.

This actually was an argument when they originally went with the HD DVD name. Some people might get confused.

This one is my favorite:

hanks to Amazon's pathetic scheme, I now own an HD DVD format piece of plastic. It was very deceiving of them to have the HD formatted DVD as the first choice in a search on this series. So I'm out almost $80 because I took the plastic off... I now know that an HD DVD is not only a different format, but is being compared to laserdiscs, so don't bother buying this version of Planet Earth or an HD DVD player for that matter.

:lol Dear god :lol

It was deceiving that you are too stupid to check the format? Yes ... Amazon is trying to deceive you into buying media you can't use :lol

The laserdisk dig just makes it even better :lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
captive said:
anyone have any coupons for SVS? Im ordering two PB10 NSD's, one for my pops and one for me.

I dont think they do coupons.. but if you buy the silver or white ones, they are cheaper because they are in "overstock"

captive

StoOgE said:
I dont think they do coupons.. but if you buy the silver or white ones, they are cheaper because they are in "overstock"
When i was checking out there was an option for coupons or codes.
Anyhoo, i bought them, ouch at the shipping but what do you expect for 60lbs a piece.
Cant wait till i get a reciever.

First, I don't want to insinuate anything about why PE is selling so well, but there is a likely explanation for all those who bought it by mistake:

1) Big push to get PE's ranking up by viral marketing efforts on AVS.
2) PE does indeed go high in the rankings.
3) PE HD ends up first search choice due to high ranking
4) People mistakenly buy it, keeping its ranking high and showing up near the top for PE searches.

It explains the comments in those posts anyway, although I wouldn't assert it's responsible for its overall high ranking without data. It's possible, though.

captive

Onix said:
It was deceiving that you are too stupid to check the format? Yes ... Amazon is trying to deceive you into buying media you can't use :lol
Idunno man, have you ever worked retail or an IT helpdesk?
Goddamn i could talk at length at how retardedly stupid people are and can be.

C4Lukins

Ignatz Mouse said:
First, I don't want to insinuate anything about why PE is selling so well, but there is a likely explanation for all those who bought it by mistake:

1) Big push to get PE's ranking up by viral marketing efforts on AVS.
2) PE does indeed go high in the rankings.
3) PE HD ends up first search choice due to high ranking
4) People mistakenly buy it, keeping its ranking high and showing up near the top for PE searches.

It explains the comments in those posts anyway, although I wouldn't assert it's responsible for its overall high ranking without data. It's possible, though.

I think there is just simply probably a bigger percentage of HD-DVD owners who are videophiles then there are BR owners, and this is the type of title that appeals to that demographic. The only reason for that is is the PS3 thins out that sector for BR. I am sure there are a few people who have made the mistake that you show in those Amazon comments, but I doubt it is any signifigant number and is not worth arguing over.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Days like these... said:
So i guess the reason the blu-ray version of Planet Earth is also #1 is because people are also confusing it with the dvd version?

As you know it's really easy to confuse BLU-RAY and DVD
When, it's far more difficult to confuse HD-DVD and DVD

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Suikoguy said:
As you know it's really easy to confuse BLU-RAY and DVD
When, it's far more difficult to confuse HD-DVD and DVD

I was being sarcastic. Check your detector detector I think its broken.

So let me get this straight if it's #1 on blu-ray it's cause its popular if its #1 on HD DVD its cause people are confusing it with the dvd? Gotcha! You guys are truly something else.

Raistlin

Days like these... said:
I was being sarcastic. Check your detector detector I think its broken.

So let me get this straight if it's #1 on blu-ray it's cause its popular if its #1 on HD DVD its cause people are confusing it with the dvd? Gotcha! You guys are truly something else.

No ... not at all. People are just confused because titles that have been on both (and are day and date) ... generally have favored BluRay ... or at least been close.

Planet Earth is selling a decent amount better on HD DVD ... which is unusual.

The confusion issue could account for a little bit, but not much. I'm of the opinion the numbers are mostly due to demographics.

thaivo

Just got me a Toshiba HD-D2, and it is F'ing fantastic! Paid $250 at Costco. I've been on the fence for the last year or so, but at that price, I'm getting a great DVD player, and 5 HDDVD's.

The alternative was to buy the Sony player at $500 and no movies...

So, call me cheap, but I'm willing to take my chances. If in the event HD-DVD goes belly up, I'll still have the movies that I bought for it, and a really excellent upscaling DVD player.

djkimothy

thaivo said:
Just got me a Toshiba HD-D2, and it is F'ing fantastic! Paid $250 at Costco. I've been on the fence for the last year or so, but at that price, I'm getting a great DVD player, and 5 HDDVD's.

So, call me cheap, but I'm willing to take my chances. If in the event HD-DVD goes belly up, I'll still have the movies that I bought for it, and a really excellent upscaling DVD player.

Doesn't the new Sony player come with 5 free blu-rays?

thaivo said:

Congrats on your purchase!

x.v.Color
Thanks to the adoption of a newly approved international color standard called xvYCC (an option in the HDMI v1.3 spec and which Sony participated in helping to create), the color space has been greatly expanded. 1.8 times as many natural colors as existing HDTV signals will now be faithfully reproduced. (x.v.Color capability is available on select BRAVIA televisions, Blu-ray Disc players and the PlayStation3 computer entertainment system.)

From the spces for the new Sony Blu-Ray player.

So unless this is wrong (possible) the players already support Deep Color. Or is that what Toshiba was claiming too?

Ignatz Mouse said:
From the spces for the new Sony Blu-Ray player.

So unless this is wrong (possible) the players already support Deep Color. Or is that what Toshiba was claiming too?

Deep Color = 36 or 48 bit = WAY MORE than 1.8x as many colors as 24-bit color.

Current BD and HD-DVD are not Deep Color and there is no proposed spec to start shipping backwards-compatible discs as Deep Color. It might be possible, and it might be totally impossible (my money is on the latter, but regardless there is no proposed spec to even try).

Of course, they could definitely start shipping high-def discs that are 100% unplayable on all the current players, but believe me when I say that that ain't happening.

I'd be very happy if the current specs had been held back and only finalized once they provided for Deep Color, but that did not happen.

Raistlin

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Deep Color = 36 or 48 bit = WAY MORE than 1.8x as many colors as 24-bit color.

Deep color includes 10-bit (30-bit RGB), 12-bit (36-bit RGB), and 16-bit (48-bit RGB). However, current tests show that few people can see beyond 12-bit, so we will probably never see much that actually supports 16-bit.

The 1.8x is a bit complicated. It isn't really talking about current color systems ... I don't have a good hold on exactly what it is referring to. However, it is definitely not talking about 1.8x 8-bit color.

Current BD and HD-DVD are not Deep Color and there is no proposed spec to start shipping backwards-compatible discs as Deep Color. It might be possible, and it might be totally impossible (my money is on the latter, but regardless there is no proposed spec to even try).

Based on how fixed-panel TV's work ... I'd say it is entirely possible. Otherwise Panasonic Plasma's wouldn't work :p

Of course, they could definitely start shipping high-def discs that are 100% unplayable on all the current players, but believe me when I say that that ain't happening.

Yes, that will never happen.

I'd be very happy if the current specs had been held back and only finalized once they provided for Deep Color, but that did not happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if a solution happens. Similar things have been done MANY times before.

Onix said:
I wouldn't be surprised if a solution happens. Similar things have been done MANY times before.

That's basically how we got color TV (NTSC) over what was designed to be a black-and-white signal. Hacking formats to expand them is historical fact.

M3wThr33

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
That's basically how we got color TV (NTSC) over what was designed to be a black-and-white signal. Hacking formats to expand them is historical fact.
Isn't that how we got Macrovision? By boosting the color correction or something to a f'ing huge value?

methane47

Amazon Planet Earth Comments and questions are funny...

Real rating is a minus 30! I was unable to access the DVD on ANY player! I took it to Best Buy, and they said it will not work in any player they have in stock and are unable to program any player to play the DVD. It was a total waste of money and a horrible experience with Amazon because they will not help in any way to correct the problem.

This is a beautiful video, but without an HD DVD player it would not read, and I had to exchange it for the other format. The write-up did not warn of this--very inconvenient.

Thanks to Amazon's pathetic scheme, I now own an HD DVD format piece of plastic. It was very deceiving of them to have the HD formatted DVD as the first choice in a search on this series.

I Purchased the HD DVD to finf out that it would not work in my DVD Player. I could not return It because it was opened but not used. How are you supose to know it a thing works if you don't open it. So your return is not worth a dime! I ored the regular DVD and Found that all one needs is DVD one. The outher four DVD Has the same things as on the first DVD.

Before you buy this HD-DVD make sure you have a HD-DVD Player, most people don't!!! The cost for a new HD-DVD player is $300-$500+. That's a lot of money for 1 set of DVD's

I thought since I have a high def TV that this would work but apparently you have to have a high def DVD player to play this dvd. I couldn't use or play this so I had to return it. I will be buying the regular dvd though.

A note of warning - even if you have an HD-TV, you'll need a special HD-DVD player to play this disc. If you have a normal DVD player it will not work.

Raistlin

Ignatz Mouse said:

and HDCD ... and DTS-ES ... and DD-EX ... and DTS Master Audio ... etc.

:)

captive

Oh man if anyone wants a laugh the hd media board at AVS has an awesome thread called "i have been wrong and stupid"
Some of the responses are great, from both sides.
But IMO the HD DVD supporters, whom you can easily spot with their awesome witty sigs seem to have the best responses.

However it makes me sad that people on both sides, and particularly hd dvd would rather have both formats die than have blu-ray win. Horrible logic ftl.
And before anyone jumps on my ass, i have said it before and ill say it again i want one format for HD, i dont particularly care which, i just happen to on a blu-ray player from buying a PS3.

thaivo

The Main Event said:
Congrats on your purchase!

Thanks, I picked up Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and it's blowing my mind... I forgot how beautiful the movie was, both filmed, and emotional impact-wise.

I remember loving the film in the theater, and I bought the DVD... but now it almost feels like I have the definitive version.... at least for the next ten years. :)

I'm mostly going to be renting through Blockbuster online, but could see myself amassing a small collection of HD-DVD's as time passes. I sorta stopped buying DVD's about a year ago because I knew I'd be moving to HD.

Now if I could only pick up the first Matrix movie stand-a-lone, and the LOTR Trilogy... maybe this Fall, or Winter..

I'm beginning to really not worry if HD-DVD wins or not, I'd prefer that it did, but even if some titles blu-ray exclusive, I can pick up the regular DVD and the D2's upscaling makes it look pretty great.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DarkJediKnight said:
This is for all you 5th Element Owners out there.

hopefully this will work for those of us that imported the US version, or have a UK version (can't remember which one I have)

Its actually not that bad PQ wise, so looking forward to see what the release acheives.

As for House of the Flying Daggers, its worth picking up. The video isn't that bad. In places its a little noisy but in others its very nice indeed. And the audio is fantastic.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
captive said:
However it makes me sad that people on both sides, and particularly hd dvd would rather have both formats die than have blu-ray win. Horrible logic ftl.
I think most HD DVD owners here have stated that if Blu-Ray wins we'd simply make the switch. We''ve taken a calculated risk and if it doesn't pan out at least we didn't pay $600 for our players. I don't think anyone here is a hardcore Toshiba fan. Unfortunately, I cant say the same thing for Sony just check this thread alot of PS3's most ardent fans/supporters from the gaming side are in here.
I personally dont want both formats to die cause I dont like the idea of digital distribution. So I really dont know where you're getting the idea that we ( HD DVD supporters) would rather both formats die than support the other side. I think it's actually the other way around.

Crisis

Banned
Mrbob said:
Heh. This is the drawback to calling your format HD DVD. People think the discs will play in their DVD player.

To be fair, with those combo discs, HD DVD isn't helping that confusion.

captive

Days like these... said:
I think most HD DVD owners here have stated that if Blu-Ray wins we'd simply make the switch. We''ve taken a calculated risk and if it doesn't pan out at least we didn't pay $600 for our players. I don't think anyone here is a hardcore Toshiba fan. Unfortunately, I cant say the same thing for Sony just check this thread alot of PS3's most ardent fans/supporters from the gaming side are in here.
I personally dont want both formats to die cause I dont like the idea of digital distribution. So I really dont know where you're getting the idea that we ( HD DVD supporters) would rather both formats die than support the other side. I think it's actually the other way around.
dude you took what i said completly out of context.
I was talking about the people at AVS.
IMO i dont think theres anyone here on EITHER side that would rather have no optical disk than have the format that didnt chose win. Except maybe Alcibicas(however you spell his name)

captive said:
dude you took what i said completly out of context.
I was talking about the people at AVS.
IMO i dont think theres anyone here on EITHER side that would rather have no optical disk than have the format that didnt chose win. Except maybe Alcibicas(however you spell his name)

There's a few. There are also more than a fex Xbox supporters here who have expressed a system-loyalty based responseor have said they've bought the add-on on a whim and don't really care if neither format makes it.

I have been an ardent Sony supporter, but that's in part *becuase* of BluRay. I've been saying since pre-launch that people who want a system only for games, and not movies, will do better with a 360 (unless they're into Sony 1st party stuff).

Edit: a quick look shows Days Like These has a history of trolling Sony fans..... hmmm. No wonder this dived into system wars territory.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
gkrykewy said:
I'm seeing double. Did you read the previous page in this thread? :lol

Of course, but garbage logic about why PE on HD DVD is selling better..........now THAT'S worth repeating in this thread.

btw, I was playing around with a different receiver today (still crap to you audiophiles, so don't ask), and the sound was much improved. I will say, though, that the difference in sound between top tier movies like King Kong and Matrix and other HD DVD's is huge. I'd say even bigger than the visual disparities.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Ignatz Mouse said:
Edit: a quick look shows Days Like These has a history of trolling Sony fans..... hmmm. No wonder this dived into system wars territory.
Defensive much? If it makes you sleep better at night to call me a troll be my guest.

gkryhewy

VanMardigan said:
btw, I was playing around with a different receiver today (still crap to you audiophiles, so don't ask), and the sound was much improved. I will say, though, that the difference in sound between top tier movies like King Kong and Matrix and other HD DVD's is huge. I'd say even bigger than the visual disparities.

I'm moderately embarrassed to say that I'm still using a 2.0 Sony (actually one of the speakers now says "ony") stereo/receiver from 1997 for all of my audio needs, simply because I like the sound quality and it's a nicely powerful system. That said, I finally got around to watching a disc after the 360 HD DVD 'night mode' fix (saw Children of Men for the first time, bought during the DD 20% off sale), and I was blown away by the sound quality. It was stunning. I also played around with the different audio processing formats on the player end, but it didn't seem to make a difference whether I specified 2.0 or DTS.

Days like these... said:
Defensive much? If it makes you sleep better at night to call me a troll be my guest.

I have a history of getting called a Sony fanboy by people who like to troll Sony... and given that you were banned for starting such a thread.... I guess I am.

captive

Just ordered Planet Earth, Flags of our fathers and Letters from amazon for my dad's birthday.
Im soooo tempted to jack the copy of Planet Earth for myself though. :lol

jjasper

captive said:
Just ordered Planet Earth, Flags of our fathers and Letters from amazon for my dad's birthday.
Im soooo tempted to jack the copy of Planet Earth for myself though. :lol

All great picks. I watched Letters and Flags last weekend.

Onix said:
and HDCD ... and DTS-ES ... and DD-EX ... and DTS Master Audio ... etc.

:)

HDCD is a horrible example, I studied it in-depth some time back. All it does is steal a couple of bits here and there (not even on every sample) and use them to control some different filters and such to process the sound in a way that many find pleasing. It is in no way anything approaching 20-bit audio or even 17-bit audio. It's a trick, and is more about marketing than anything else.

If BD is going to get real Deep Color in a backwards-compatible way, the best hope is that if they designed the way the video data is stored and interleaved to provide for such future growth.

Deep Color for the current playback platforms is no more than vaporware and nobody should expect it to happen. It could, but that is nothing to pin your hopes on.

djkimothy

This will probably be discredited from the HDDVD crowd since this is from a Sony rep, but found this on the forums of high def digest.

Let me just get this out of the way:
"Australia's population makes this irrelevant"
"This coming from a Sony rep"
"Only 6000 discs? This shows the failure of HD"
"blah blah blah"

http://www.apcmag.com/6427/sony_killing_hd_dvd_91_bluray_sales

Sony has made the audacious claim that 90.8% of the 6,000 high definition movies sold in Australia in the first quarter of 2007 have been in the BluRay format.

"Sony Australia’s latest HD Benchmark Report puts Blu-ray well ahead of the HD DVD format. Of the nearly 6,000 HD movies sold in Australia in Q1 2007, 90.8% were in the Blu-ray format," the company said in a statement.

"The report also reveals that for the third quarter running, total HD category sales are higher than non-HD models, representing over two-thirds of total spending, with a year-on-year increase in HD sales of over 80%.

Nielson numbers should be coming soon.

Raistlin

beermonkey@tehbias said:
HDCD is a horrible example, I studied it in-depth some time back. All it does is steal a couple of bits here and there (not even on every sample) and use them to control some different filters and such to process the sound in a way that many find pleasing. It is in no way anything approaching 20-bit audio or even 17-bit audio. It's a trick, and is more about marketing than anything else.

Really? I haven't studied it intently ... I thought it was using a wider sample ... sorry.

Okay, scratch that one off then. You get my point though.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
90% is impressive.. 6000K isnt.. thats what.. 1200 disks a month? So, BRD = 1000 movies a month and HDDVD = 200... Im going to go out on a limb and say stand alone player sales are non existint in that market and these are almost all due to PS3 owners.

Alot of money being made in that market :lol

Edit: to be fair, we dont know what HDTV penetration is like there either. For all I know, its nearly nonexistant as well... which would obvioulsy skew the potential market for these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom