• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
DarkJediKnight said:
The plan is, CE companies are holding off on allowing bitstream of audio codecs until their big receivers hit (Onkyo 800 series, Pioneer Elite 94, Denon 3808, Yamaha v1800 etc...). They know that if the Onkyo 605 could do bitstream, a ton of people will buy it and when the big receivers hit, it won't sell as well - where the manufacturers make the most profit due to higher margin.

So here's what's going to happen:

Come late summer when the big boys come to play, you might see sudden firmware updates to allow bitstreaming of audio codecs. That's just a theory of mine.
That would be nice, i have a few FOX BRD that i would like to hear in high def goodness. Assuming the PS3 either gets the option to bitstream it or decode it to LPCM, either way i just want to hear it. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DarkJediKnight said:
The plan is, CE companies are holding off on allowing bitstream of audio codecs until their big receivers hit (Onkyo 800 series, Pioneer Elite 94, Denon 3808, Yamaha v1800 etc...). They know that if the Onkyo 605 could do bitstream, a ton of people will buy it and when the big receivers hit, it won't sell as well - where the manufacturers make the most profit due to higher margin.

So here's what's going to happen:

Come late summer when the big boys come to play, you might see sudden firmware updates to allow bitstreaming of audio codecs. That's just a theory of mine.

its not the players, its the discs. If an HDDVD is authored in 'advanced' mode (most are), the format prevents the player from outputting the bitstream, no matter what the CE player guys want to do.

bluray is less clear though

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Guys, because of the way BRD and HDDVD mix audio, you CANT send it to the reciever. Audio commentary, PIP, etc WOULDNT WORK if its not mixed in the player.

StoOgE

DarkJediKnight said:
So here's what's going to happen: .

No, its not.

HDMI 1.3 is a marketing gimmick with no real world value. Nothing outputs lossless audio in a bitstream right now.. and neither HDDVD or BRD (once BRJ gets up and running) are going to be able to do so and have the audio function the way its designed.. and the advantage of having the player do it versus the reciever are minimal if they exist at all. Its just fine having the player decode it.

Deep Color isnt supported by anything. I would love it to be supported, but its not. The likelyhood that it will be supported in the next 5 years isnt very good either.

And the "audio sync" features can be supported in HDMI 1.2a.

StoOgE said:
No, its not.

HDMI 1.3 is a marketing gimmick with no real world value. Nothing outputs lossless audio in a bitstream right now.. and neither HDDVD or BRD (once BRJ gets up and running) are going to be able to do so and have the audio function the way its designed.. and the advantage of having the player do it versus the reciever are minimal if they exist at all. Its just fine having the player decode it.

Deep Color isnt supported by anything. I would love it to be supported, but its not. The likelyhood that it will be supported in the next 5 years isnt very good either.

And the "audio sync" features can be supported in HDMI 1.2a.

Well something is about to happen or there will be a lot of pissed off people. It doesn't affect me either way. My Marantz receiver is the most expensive thing I own and I'm not replacing it anytime soon.

StoOgE

DarkJediKnight said:
Well something is about to happen or there will be a lot of pissed off people. It doesn't affect me either way. My Marantz receiver is the most expensive thing I own and I'm not replacing it anytime soon.

Alot of people are about to get taken to the cleaners for nothing at all.. but they'll likely convince themselves that it was money well spent anyway, because thats what people that just wasted money do.

It doesnt help that Sony and Toshiba are pimping thier new HDMI 1.3 HDDVD/BRD players as "Deep color" compatible.. when neither format actually supports Deep Color...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DarkJediKnight said:
Well something is about to happen

yes

there will be a lot of pissed off people

there you go.

although you *can* output the bitstream (subject to the flag allowing it) - you'd just have bitstream for movie only, and if you want PiP/audio mixing, you revert back to in player decoding.

yes its screwed up but there you go. I expect receivers with built in processing will really only be aimed at audiophiles who prefer more control over the decoding

Oni Jazar

StoOgE said:
Guys, because of the way BRD and HDDVD mix audio, you CANT send it to the reciever. Audio commentary, PIP, etc WOULDNT WORK if its not mixed in the player.

You can already output the bitstream using the PS3 - and miss out on the menu sounds. It won't pass the TrueHD and DTSHD formats but it does pass DD5.1

StoOgE

Oni Jazar said:
You can already output the bitstream using the PS3 - and miss out on the menu sounds. It won't pass the TrueHD and DTSHD formats but it does pass DD5.1

which is fine for now, until the PIP stuff/interactive stuff that plays during the video starts showing up.. then alot more than menu sounds will be lost. Plus, there is absolutely NO benefit to passing it as a bitsream versus the player converting it.

Raistlin

StoOgE said:

And your last response to me was calling my statements baseless? :lol

Did you even read my response to you? - I PM'd it as well. You seem to be running with the false idea that deep color isn't even supported in TVs.

captive

Wow all of this because i mentioned i was buying a reciever that decodes high def audio, knowing full well that none of the players out pass said audio via bitstream. I feel a little special inside. :lol

http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=40273

Hitachi_BD_HD_Combo.jpg

First review of Pan's Labyrinth on HD DVD:

http://www.worldinhd.com/movabletype/archives/2007/06/le_labyrinthe_d.html

It’s a World Premiere and we’re happy to publish the first available review of this THX certified HD DVD. The master looks brilliant (picture and sound). The video compression is invisible and we couldn’t find any halos… Of course, we compared the HD DVD picture to the standard one available on the DVD. In short, the textures are richer and more expressive in HD. The real benefit of HD blows up on day scenes. Indeed, the master presents beautiful 3D effects and the colors are fully in line with the director’s vision and will (hot and natural). Nevertheless, the difference between SD and HD is less obvious during night sequences or very dark moments. In the end, this HD DVD looks very “cinema-like” and can be considered as a real upgrade to the DVD. The spanish DTS-HD Master Audio track just rocks ! It offers a very nice presence in the front stage (almost perfect stereo). The voices are great, understandable and well integrated. The rear effects are numerous and some of the EX/ES just amazing. The low tones are very rich and one can feel sub-bass lines in several sequences. Finally the overall sound dynamics is excellent. If we wanted to compare this HD DVD to some of the discs we’ve already reviewed, CHILDREN OF MEN would probably meet the same criteria in terms of transfer quality. Please note that no english subtitles are available on the disc !

One of my most anticipated HD release, only if New Line could give us a clue on when they'll start supporting both HD formats. Too bad that there's no English subtitles/soundtrack, cause I would definitely import the French release...

jjasper

The Main Event said:
First review of Pan's Labyrinth on HD DVD:

http://www.worldinhd.com/movabletype/archives/2007/06/le_labyrinthe_d.html

One of my most anticipated HD release, only if New Line could give us a clue on when they'll start supporting both HD formats. Too bad that there's no English subtitles/soundtrack, cause I would definitely import the French release...

Yeah I was pissed when I saw it had no english subs. As far as New Line goes I think they will conviently start releasing titles when TotalHD is ready for market.

StoOgE

Onix said:
Did you even read my response to you? - I PM'd it as well. You seem to be running with the false idea that deep color isn't even supported in TVs.

I know there are HDMI 1.3 TV's coming out. but that doesnt change two things:

1) None of these TV manufacturers are telling us anything about supported bit depth (at least at the new models Ive been keeping an eye on). Deep Color isnt one standard, its several different standards (similar to HDTV itself with different resolutions). Ive checked Pannys website for their new models, and there isnt anything about it. Pio hasnt even put manuals on its website for its new models that are starting to trickle out. HDMI 1.3 doesnt mean the TV itself supports deep color... so saying that new TV's support or will support deep color is akin to a TV manufacturer saying "this is an HDTV" and then not telling you what resolution it is.

2) There still isnt anything that outputs or supports deep color outside of a computer.

3) Your comment that BRD is "more likely" to support Deep Color is still completely and totally baseless. It isnt in the specs of either format. Sony might have talked about Deep Color and be pushing it, but so has Toshiba.. and neither one of them fully controls either format (otherwise their wouldnt be a format war, because Sony voted to include HDi in the BRD specs).

Raistlin

StoOgE said:
I know there are HDMI 1.3 TV's coming out. but that doesnt change two things:

Oh you did? Then why did you specifically say that there were no deep color TV’s announced to your knowledge?

1) None of these TV manufacturers are telling us anything about supported bit depth (at least at the new models Ive been keeping an eye on). Deep Color isnt one standard, its several different standards (similar to HDTV itself with different resolutions).

And even if support for the minimum (10-bit) is what eventually becomes standard, it will dramatically reduce banding.

Ive checked Pannys website for their new models, and there isnt anything about it. Pio hasnt even put manuals on its website for its new models that are starting to trickle out. HDMI 1.3 doesnt mean the TV itself supports deep color... so saying that new TV's support or will support deep color is akin to a TV manufacturer saying "this is an HDTV" and then not telling you what resolution it is.

The models I’ve been looking at are specifically referring actual color support … not the fact they have HDMI 1.3.

2) There still isnt anything that outputs or supports deep color outside of a computer.

Really? No shit :p

3) Your comment that BRD is "more likely" to support Deep Color is still completely and totally baseless.

I beg to differ. I gave you three very logical reasons why … and you have countered none of them. Your argument is to simply call it baseless.

It isnt in the specs of either format. Sony might have talked about Deep Color and be pushing it, but so has Toshiba.

I have seen little evidence to Toshiba pushing it much … at least not publicly.

and neither one of them fully controls either format (otherwise their wouldnt be a format war, because Sony voted to include HDi in the BRD specs).

While this is true... I don’t see that being an obstacle.

1) BluRay has the major CE support. At least some (if not most or all that also make TV’s) of these companies either have Deep Color TV’s already announced or in the pipe. I really don’t see them being against it.

2) Sony is the one that has been modifying the AVC codec for use with BluRay on their own. If they end up adding deep color support and it doesn’t fubar non-compliant players (as we have already discussed) … why they hell would anyone care?

StoOgE

Onix said:
Oh you did? Then why did you specifically say that there were no deep color TV’s announced to your knowledge?

Because a TV having HDMI 1.3 and supporting deep color are two different things. It could have HDMI 1.3 inputs, and not support increased bit depth. Similar to Toshiba and Sony stating that their new HDDVD/BRD player supports deep color (even though they dont), these companies could just be stating "deep color" support because they are HDMI 1.3 compliant, and HDMI 1.3 allows for it.

Onix said:
And even if support for the minimum (10-bit) is what eventually becomes standard, it will dramatically reduce banding.

We dont even know if they support that.

Onix said:
The models I’ve been looking at are specifically referring actual color support … not the fact they have HDMI 1.3.

This, I'd be interested in seeing a link or something. Im not saying they arent coming, but Pioneer and Panny just released their new super duper Plasmas (well, Pio wont have the 1080p units till August, but the line has launched). They are all HDMI 1.3, but havent said anything about bit depth.

Onix said:
I have seen little evidence to Toshiba pushing it much … at least not publicly.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/deep-color/

- Here, among a million other links I can find is a result. Toshiba is part of the HDMI group that signs off on things like Deep Color. Just like Sony.

As far as getting Deep Color support to work without fubaring older players.. I agree, if either VC1, AVC, or anything else can come up with some workaround, its possible that either group could ok it. Sony getting AVC to support this workaround is no more likely than Microsoft getting VC1 to support a similar workaround.

At the same time though, BR group isnt just CE companies, they have to get studio support for it as well (same as HDDVD forum), and they have to get the studios to approve the change. It could happen, but its not in the realm of likelyhood for either group at this point... and certainly no more likely for BRD than HDDVD.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, for this father's day, I'm planning a Matrix Marathon.............with poker!! :D
It'll probably be at my house, cause only one other friend of mine has an HDTV, and his apartment is pretty small. Most of my friends have yet to see HD DVD, so it should be fun to see their reaction (if I get any at all).

Raistlin

StoOgE said:
Because a TV having HDMI 1.3 and supporting deep color are two different things. It could have HDMI 1.3 inputs, and not support increased bit depth. Similar to Toshiba and Sony stating that their new HDDVD/BRD player supports deep color (even though they dont), these companies could just be stating "deep color" support because they are HDMI 1.3 compliant, and HDMI 1.3 allows for it.

As I've stated ... over and over again ... I'm talking about TV's that actually support greater than 8-bit color.

We dont even know if they support that.

Except that ... yes ... we do. >_<

This, I'd be interested in seeing a link or something. Im not saying they arent coming, but Pioneer and Panny just released their new super duper Plasmas (well, Pio wont have the 1080p units till August, but the line has launched). They are all HDMI 1.3, but havent said anything about bit depth.

I'll get you links when I'm back home (I'm in Chicago ... again).

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/deep-color/

- Here, among a million other links I can find is a result. Toshiba is part of the HDMI group that signs off on things like Deep Color. Just like Sony.

That's not what I'm talking about. Anyone involved in HDMI is included in those press releases.

I'm referring to Sony doing things like, copyrighting their own name for deep color for marketing/advertising use in products ... showing off and making a big deal at CES about their TV's that do support deep color ... adding deep color to their variant of AVC used in HD video cameras (yes, you actually record in deep color @ 1080i with their new video cameras) ... etc.

As far as getting Deep Color support to work without fubaring older players.. I agree, if either VC1, AVC, or anything else can come up with some workaround, its possible that either group could ok it. Sony getting AVC to support this workaround is no more likely than Microsoft getting VC1 to support a similar workaround.

I disagree. While MS is obviously capable of doing this, the difference is incentive. Sony IS making deep color TV's ... and is doing a lot of marketing related to deep color. At this point, what incentive does MS have to do this?

At the same time though, BR group isnt just CE companies, they have to get studio support for it as well (same as HDDVD forum), and they have to get the studios to approve the change.

Studio masters already use higher bit-depth for color. This is an encoding issue, and would be relatively transparent to them. This isn't an issue where studios would have to change how they film things.

It could happen, but its not in the realm of likelyhood for either group at this point... and certainly no more likely for BRD than HDDVD.

I totally disagree on both points ... and have made a number of fact-based and logical arguments. I'm finding it difficult to find anything similar in yours.

I think the problem here is simply that you are not aware of all of the facts. You do not seem to realize just how much Sony is pushing deep color on a variety of fronts (marketing, actual TV production, inclusion in AVC variant for camcoders, etc) ... and the fact that several TV manufacturers are including real deep color support in their TV's.

Once you are aware of all of the facts, I think your view will change a bit :)

StoOgE

Onix said:
I totally disagree on both points ... and have made a number of fact-based and logical arguments. I'm finding it difficult to find anything similar in yours.

Fact: It aint in the specs.
Fact: Sony doesnt control the BRD group, so while they may love Deep Color, they cant force it upon the whole group.
Fact: It hasnt been presented to the BRD for approval.
Fact: Current BRD players werent designed to decode 10bit color.

Clear enough for you?

In fact, your entire arguement is based on pure speculation that Sony can somehow code AVC to allow for deep color without upsetting old players. You have no proof that 1) This can be done. 2) Sony wants to do this. 3) Sony is trying to do this. 4) That anyone else would go along with it.

Who is the one lacking in logic or facts.

Could it show up? Sure.
Is stating as a fact "Its more likely to show up on BRD than HDDVD" stupid and baseless? Absolutely.

Raistlin

StoOgE said:

That doesn't mean it can't be added. DTS isn't in the specs for DVD ... nor is DTS-ES, DD-EX, progressive scan output, etc.

Fact: Sony doesnt control the BRD group, so while they may love Deep Color, they cant force it upon the whole group.

They do have a controlling interest ... have in the past modified the codec that would likely include it ... etc.

Regardless, if it is basically transparent, there is no reason to think there will be any friction to begin with,

I'm pretty sure this won't happen until they actually have something to demonstrate.

Fact: Toshiba is part of the same group that approved Deep Color, they advertise the XA2 as being "deep color" compliant and they are also releasing HDMI 1.3 TV's.

That has nothing to do with my argument of Sony's manner in promoting deep color, nor any real significance in the argument to whether either format may some day see deep color inclusion.

Clear enough for you?

Not really.

In fact, your entire arguement is based on pure speculation that Sony can somehow code AVC to allow for deep color without upsetting old players. You have no proof that 1) This can be done.

There is plenty of precedence for doing something similar. HDCD, DD-EX, DTS-ES, DTS Master Audio, etc.

2) Sony wants to do this.

True ... though I find it EXTREMELY difficult to believe most people aren't coming to this assumption.

How many times do I need to go over the reasons why? You seem completely oblivious to the marketing Sony has been doing at trade shows, etc (I'll get links when I get home) ... are denying the fact they are producing deep color TVs ... are denying the fact they already have included it into their AVC variant for video cameras (which was added after the fact incidentally)

3) Sony is trying to do this.

See above.

Who is the one lacking in logic or facts.

It continues to be you. You are completely disregarding what I have stated.

Could it show up? Sure.

And I've never said otherwise. I am not making any guarantees.

Is stating as a fact "Its more likely to show up on BRD than HDDVD" stupid and baseless? Absolutely.

Based on the facts I've outlined above, and in my original response several pages back ... I fail to see how any objective analysis would not come to the conclusion that BRD is more likely to see it.

It comes down to money. Sony has already invested significant amounts of money in deep color on a variety of fronts. They therefore have more to gain by it being supported in a media format.

Mrbob

StoOgE said:
Fact: Current BRD players werent designed to decode 10bit color.

Clear enough for you?

Not to derail this discussion too much, but I think I've been watching too much of The Office lately. I completely envisioned Dwight Schrute speaking with this post. :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Mrbob said:
Not to derail this discussion too much, but I think I've been watching too much of The Office lately. I completely envisioned Dwight Schrute speaking with this post. :lol

By all means, please derail the discussion. All that deep color crap is crazy boring. Sales numbers can't come out soon enough.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
By all means, please derail the discussion. All that deep color crap is crazy boring. Sales numbers can't come out soon enough.

I apologize ... I'm just REALLY hoping it does get included.

At this point, the only significant flaw in current HD movies is banding. To me, it's kind of an 'uncanny valley' issue. The top tier transfers look and sound so good ... the only thing that is majorly breaking the 'through a window' look is banding.

I find it really damn distracting.

captive

DarkJediKnight said:
Deep Color, blah blah blah....

Check out this cover.

3892.jpg

If there was a cover that screams "RAPE TIME!" this would be it.
does halle berry get nekkid in this movie?

StoOgE

Onix said:
I apologize ... I'm just REALLY hoping it does get included.

At this point, the only significant flaw in current HD movies is banding. To me, it's kind of an 'uncanny valley' issue. The top tier transfers look and sound so good ... the only thing that is majorly breaking the 'through a window' look is banding.

I want Deep Color as well, but reports from CES are that it is a slight improvement, its not something that will blow your mind:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,124236-page,1/article.html

The more likely culprit if you have really distracting color banding is bad color reproduction on your TV. Likely in the color of Green where most HDTV's simply suck. I have some banding issues that are visible at times, but its not very distracting in my home theater.

In my living room/game room on the 360 HDDVD add on, its pretty bad. Thats because I have a 44" piece of suck that is a RP LCDTV that has horrid horrid horrid color reproduction.

My bet is upgrading your TV to something with better color reproduction you will see improvement right away (the new Panny is awesome, the new Pios are supposed to be just as good, I have no idea about the new Sony's, I loathe LCD TV's picture so Im not too interested in them)

Raistlin

StoOgE said:
I want Deep Color as well, but reports from CES are that it is a slight improvement, its not something that will blow your mind:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,124236-page,1/article.html

I wouldn't expect it to blow my mind (though obviously it matters what is being demoed). Simply reducing or eliminating color banding and a slight increase in 'dynamics' is what I'm looking for.

The more likely culprit if you have really distracting color banding is bad color reproduction on your TV. Likely in the color of Green where most HDTV's simply suck. I have some banding issues that are visible at times, but its not very distracting in my home theater.

In my living room/game room on the 360 HDDVD add on, its pretty bad. Thats because I have a 44" piece of suck that is a RP LCDTV that has horrid horrid horrid color reproduction.

My bet is upgrading your TV to something with better color reproduction you will see improvement right away (the new Panny is awesome, the new Pios are supposed to be just as good, I have no idea about the new Sony's, I loathe LCD TV's picture so Im not too interested in them)

I don't believe my TV has banding issues for 8-bit matieral. I'll look into that.

Regardless, this isn't just coming to LCD's ... there are SXRD and plasmas as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas Instruments announces a DLP solution as well ... as that is the only major TV type that doesn't have announced products.

If you noticed, the article you linked to was actually demonstrated using a prototype deep color :p

StoOgE

Panny and Pio havent said anything about greater than 8 bit color being supported.

Panny's TVs are out now, and they only mention being HDMI 1.3 and supporting some crazy number of colors that are so much higher than what deep color supports, I figure its some stupid gimick they are running. They dont support 1080p24 though, so they are out of the running (well, they support it, but at a 60hz refresh rate :lol)

Pio isnt saying anything about their new TV's at all since they arent in B&M's yet.

Im not too interested in any other plasma manufacturers since thier TV's dont match the PQ of Pio or Panny.

Raistlin

DarkJediKnight said:
Official Specs for 5th Element Redux by Sony Encoder Paidgeek.

bluray_5element.jpg

BD50
AVC video encoding
LPCM 16/48
Dolby True HD 24/48 full blown master

O_O

OMGBBQ!!! Such awesomeness!

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
DarkJediKnight said:

bluray_5element.jpg

BD50
AVC video encoding
LPCM 16/48

I'm not a huge fan of the movie... but after so much hype by hardcore enthusiasts, I'm finding myself compelled to pick this up...

I honestly think Blu-Ray is going to "win" because its not 5 syllables long to say. And Blu-Ray sounds 'cooler'. Specs, sales charts, nothing else matters.

Christopher

DarkJediKnight said:

bluray_5element.jpg

BD50
AVC video encoding
LPCM 16/48

When does this release and how can you tell the difference with the covers looking the same?

Raistlin

AEBrock said:
I honestly think Blu-Ray is going to "win" because its not 5 syllables long to say. And Blu-Ray sounds 'cooler'. Specs, sales charts, nothing else matters.

:lol

I was actually thinking that just a couple days ago (well, not that it would influence who wins)

DVD is fine. 3 syllables, and rolls off the tongue. Adding the HD to it makes it a bit much though. 5 syllables, and it just seems like a mouthful.

BluRay with it's 2 syllables just seems cleaner.

captive

DarkJediKnight said:

bluray_5element.jpg

BD50
AVC video encoding
LPCM 16/48
Awesome, when?, WHEN? WHEN?

This movie rocks.

Raistlin

Christopher said:
When does this release

Not sure, though I thought someone posted the date a while back

and how can you tell the difference with the covers looking the same?

Even if the covers are the same, the specs on the back will be different.

The original release does not have a TrueHD soundtrack, nor is it BD50.

Raistlin

Crayon Shinchan said:
I'm not a huge fan of the movie... but after so much hype by hardcore enthusiasts, I'm finding myself compelled to pick this up...

That's the interesting question though. The original (Superbit DVD) version was hyped because it was reference quality.

Even with these specs, there is no way to know if this will stack up to its peers. It may be an excellent transfer ... but may not necessarily be reference (the master may not be that great?).

Not to re-derail the thread ... but I wonder if Sony will re-issue this again if they end up adding xvColor to BD? :lol

Part of the reason the original Superbit was reference quality was due to its color. The movie has VERY vivid color usage ... and the DVD transfer did it great justice. It's hard to get color that vivid, without being overblown. Usually you lose a lot of naturalness.

With that in mind, this movie actually may make a good candidate to show off xvColor :p

Fifth Element-- hot damn! I am a big fan of the movie, and I have repreatedly resisted getting it hoping this would happen.

[Perhaps we need a xvColor takeover watch?]

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Amazon has a July 17th date for the remastered Fifth Element

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom