• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

HocusPocus said:
Well you can't blame them for being upset about purchasing an HD-DVD system. They almost seem as sad as you seem happy about Blu-Ray dominating to justify your own purchase. Ironic? ;)

What I don't understand is what where they thinking when they bought a HD DVD player? Did they convince themselves there was no chance HD DVD could potentially lose?

If you've purchased either format, you go in knowing one or both of them may die. To then react like this when things start to look bad is just beyond infantile.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
HocusPocus said:
Well you can't blame them for being upset about purchasing an HD-DVD system. They almost seem as sad as you seem happy about Blu-Ray dominating to justify your own purchase. Ironic? ;)
funny i dont see anyone exactly dancing in the street gloating and cheering for this news.
I see a bunch of logical people making fun of some of the very illogical fanboy ridden meltdowns and or delusion happenings at avs.
Seriously if i didnt know better i would swear these people were joking, its actually quite ridiculous.

captive

Onix said:
The 'Blockbuster should stop renting PS3 titles' analogy is my favorite :lol
this one is pretty good too.
PS3 can't be programmed into my Harmony remote = functionally incomplete (actually the only reason I didn't buy one last fall)
Seriously? SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY? you didnt buy a ps3 because you cant program your harmony to work with it? Is this a ****ing joke, wow, just wow.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Onix said:
The 'Blockbuster should stop renting PS3 titles' analogy is my favorite :lol

Format war for rental stores is SUPER annoying, since they have to secure shelf space and pay rent for multiple formats.

Not to mention my local rental store still doesn't have either format.

And I will state that attaching yourself emotionally to a storage medium (on both sides) is beyond sad. I hate SD card - XD is where it's at...

captive said:
Seriously? SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY? you didnt buy a ps3 because you cant program your harmony to work with it? Is this a ****ing joke, wow, just wow.

Actually, it is kind of annoying. The dream of a one remote future, shattered on the rocks of Bluetooth Island..

captive

Stinkles said:
And I will state that attaching yourself emotionally to a storage medium (on both sides) is beyond sad. I hate SD card - XD is where it's at...
i hate micro SD, i have one stuck in my laptop, i hate it cause its not compatible without an adapter.
im only half joking, its stuck cause im a jackass :-(

Actually, it is kind of annoying. The dream of a one remote future, shattered on the rocks of Bluetooth Island..
I love my harmony as much as the next guy, i have had it since before anyone knew about it, but it doesnt really bother me there is a lame work around but im lazy.
Im waiting holding hope that logitech will make a bluetooth/IR remote.

Raistlin

captive said:

:lol

You know, I'm actually frustrated by the lack of IR myself. I have a universal (Home Theater Master ... Harmony sucks :p), but to honestly consider that a deal-breaker is just laughable.

What makes it all the funnier is that for about $30, you can get a PS2 remote, and a USB to PS2 adapter ... and then program your universal to use the IR remote codes from the PS2 remote :lol You don't get EVERY feature this way, but all the major ones are there.

Mrbob

Stinkles said:

Agreed.

But at least those who attached themselves to a certain format have a vested interest in it, unlike a huge corporation who feigns interest in one format in an attempt to **** things up for everybody while pursuing a secondary objective.

If you guys don't know why someone could possibly want to purchase an HD DVD player, maybe it's because they want to watch a lot of awesome movies (not available on the other format) now in HD rather than have to wait for who knows how long. I'm talking about movies like Batman Begins, Children of Men (minus the supposed import), Eternal Sunshine, the Matrix, all of Universal's catalog (classics like The Thing and The Sting).

I'm satisfied with my $200 HD movie player; it's not like my movies will stop working if/when HD DVD "dies". I'll still have a shit ton of high quality HD movies, but I'll just have to invest in Blu-Ray now (big deal, sounds fun :p).

[end rant]

and yeah, the Blockbuster deal is a big blow, but not a nail in the coffin or anything...

-
MrBob said:
unlike a huge corporation who feigns interest in one format in an attempt to **** things up for everybody while pursuing a secondary objective.

You are talking about Sony right? :lol

Stinkles

Onix said:

You know, I'm actually frustrated by the lack of IR myself. I have a universal (Home Theater Master ... Harmony sucks :p), but to honestly consider that a deal-breaker is just laughable.

What makes it all the funnier is that for about $30, you can get a PS2 remote, and a USB to PS2 adapter ... and then program your universal to use the IR remote codes from the PS2 remote :lol You don't get EVERY feature this way, but all the major ones are there.

Best thing would be a USB IR dongle, from Logitech. Bam. I got plenty of unused USB ports.

Raistlin

Stinkles said:
Format war for rental stores is SUPER annoying, since they have to secure shelf space and pay rent for multiple formats.

Not to mention my local rental store still doesn't have either format.

I understand that ... so it is perfectly logical that BlockBuster did this. What I'm laughing about is the attempted analogy between a movie platform and game consoles.

I don't even know where to begin on how apples to oranges that is. :p

Agreed. Its one thing to be upset that your format of choice didn't win, but the way these guys are acting is just ... gaf-like. :D

See my above post.

captive

ChrisJames said:
If you guys don't know why someone could possibly want to purchase an HD DVD player, maybe it's because they want to watch a lot of awesome movies now in HD rather than have to wait for who knows how long. I'm talking about movies like Batman Begins, Children of Men (minus the supposed import), Eternal Sunshine, the Matrix, all of Universal's catalog (classics like The Thing and The Sting).

I'm satisfied with my $200 HD movie player; it's not like my movies will stop working if/when HD DVD "dies". I'll still have a shit ton of high quality HD movies, but I'll just have to invest in Blu-Ray now (big deal, sounds fun :p).

[end rant]

and yeah, the Blockbuster deal is a big blow, but not a nail in the coffin or anything...

-

Dude no one is saying we cant understand why someone would buy it.
Onix said, why you would buy a format knowing full well it could go under then when things dont go your why you meltdown just doesnt make since. Then stinkles drove it home by saying attaching yourself emotionally to a format is retarded.(or some like that) :)

And no he was talking about micorsofts half hearted support of HD DVD only to damage Sony. At least thats the theory i have heard.

Stinkles

Onix said:
See my above post.

Your above post was below my post. Now I am stuck in a loop.

For the record, the best things I have in HD format are still Dune and Planet Earth - both happen to be on HD DVD.

But I don't care. I just wish there was ONE format from the get-go.

Mrbob

ChrisJames said:
-

Naw, Sony wants Blu Ray to succeed.

MS doesn't give a shit about HD DVD. They just want the format around long enough to draw out this format war, as their real objective is to get people to digitally download movies instead.

Onix said:
What I don't understand is what where they thinking when they bought a HD DVD player? Did they convince themselves there was no chance HD DVD could potentially lose?

Well, if a person's main source of info about the two formats was AVS, I can totally see how they would come to that conclusion. AVS has been like an online HD DVD fanboy clubhouse. You couldn't get a balanced view there. It's getting a little bit closer to reality now, but at one point, IIRC, a survey of AVS readers was something like 70% pro-HD DVD.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Onix said:

If you've purchased either format, you go in knowing one or both of them may die. To then react like this when things start to look bad is just beyond infantile.

agreed.

I bought an A1 almost as soon as they came out. I just wanted HD and was prepared for potentially having a dead end machine.

Then I bought the 360 addon to keep my clutter down. Oops. Way too noisy on my machine (well, my 360 was way too noisy. I know YMMV)

then I bought an E1 which was very nice too.

Then I sold it and decided to put all my eggs in the PS3 basket. I already had a PS3 so for me it was less risk of obsoletion as I could still play games etc on it. and if the format goes belly up, you know that PS4 etc will still play bluray movies so at least your software is safe.

M3wThr33

Banned
methane47 said:
LOL whats even funnier are the comments

This one is what bothers me:

BlockBuster should NOT take sides, but support BOTH so that A MAJORITY of their customers will be able to have the HD Content they desire. By taking a side, they punish EVERYONE who purchased HD-DVD equipment.
Personally I have NO High Def DVD format equipment. I plan to stay out of the format war untill there is a standard.

He hasn't bought either one yet because he wants a standard but COMPLAINS when Blockbuster is trying to make a stand and progress toward the goal that he wants? That's really stupid. Then again, anyone defending HD-DVD at this point is going to look that way.

Edit:
Let's watch Hollywood Video go HD-DVD only and then we shake our heads as what little progress toward a single standard gets set back another 6 months. At this point, the HD-DVD crowd can't possibly think it's going to change the tide at all. Wouldn't they prefer a quick death, HD-DVDs discounted immensely and then shift over before the holiday season?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That blockbuster announcement sucks for me. I know it won't affect blockbuster online (which I'm a member of), but I was hoping to rent HD DVD's at my local store. :(

I wish they'd waited until after this holiday season, though. But either way, I'm guessing the decision is not set in stone. If HD DVD can have a big holiday season, I can't see why they wouldn't revise their strategy.

Being bummed is a completely understandable reaction. Being outraged is not.

And I find the comment about BluRay's popularity being artifically manufactured to be funny, given the huge cost-cutting and giveaways being used to even keep HD-DVD in the game at all.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Ignatz Mouse said:

And I find the comment about BluRay's popularity being artifically manufactured to be funny, given the huge cost-cutting and giveaways being used to even keep HD-DVD in the game at all.

Artificially deflated by Toshiba and Universal they mean.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If it weren't for the PS3 being a versatile, all-in-one media device, I wouldn't have touched the HD disc formats yet, as much as I've wanted such a format to feed my HDTV for a few years now. I just wouldn't be prepared to spend over $500 for a glorified DVD player that didn't have subtantial additional features besides playback of HD source material. I'd think anyone willing to be an early adopter when prices are highest has to understand the risks involved, else I have no sympathy.

jjasper

Ignatz Mouse said:

Speaking of cost-cutting Toshiba did not extend the rebate nor have they made a new one so the price is now only $100 between the HD-A2 and the Sony BDP-S300.

However the HD-A2 does not output in 1080p, Toshiba's lowest priced 1080p model (HD-A20) is now $499.99 the same price as the BDP-S300 which also outputs in 1080p.

Can't wait till the BDP-S300 is on sale. I will probably hit it up then so I can have a BD player in my bedroom.

kaching said:
If it weren't for the PS3 being a versatile, all-in-one media device, I wouldn't have touched the HD disc formats yet, as much as I've wanted such a format to feed my HDTV for a few years now. I just wouldn't be prepared to spend over $500 for a glorified DVD player that didn't have subtantial additional features besides playback of HD source material. I'd think anyone willing to be an early adopter when prices are highest has to understand the risks involved, else I have no sympathy.

Agreed.

Given a little time, I'm about ready to call the war, too. I know a lot of people have already, but the following:

Flat HD-DVD software sales despite recent deals and good releases
This announcement
The lowering of Sony's standalone price

Makes me think it's just about over.

M3wThr33

Banned
I wonder what last ditch effort the HD-DVD fans are going to do to try to save it. I did like that one week HD-DVD had higher sales. That was funny. (Although the Planet Earth HD-DVDs sales were a total fluke, as most people buying that thought it was a regular DVD because it was the first result on Amazon.)

Considering all the bad news they get hammered with . . . from the Goat head to the Church of England on their case . . . Sony finally caught a break that might help the PS3 a little bit.

This will probably help a few people sell themselves on the PS3 . . . if it really is THE HDTV disc standard, then it is a good deal as a game-machine/HDTV disc player.

However, the problem is that most consumers don't seem to care about (or understand) HDTV players yet.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I hope you do realize HD-DVD hasn't even begun to get warmed up yet.

They're going to have a new add-on drive for the 360. It should be lower in cost.

They're going to have mass production of HD-DVD drives from China.

HD-DVD has already won China thanks to the Chinese goverment making a variation of the specs the only standard allowed. China has one of the fasest growing large economies in the world, and Blu-Ray will never be allowed to be sold there.

What may boost Blu-Ray is the introduction of a new gaming console by Apple. We'll see if this happens.

Midas

Brimstone said:

They're going to have a new add-on drive for the 360. It should be lower in cost.

HD-DVD has already won China thanks to the Chinese goverment making a variation of the specs the only standard allowed. China has one of the fasest growing large economies in the world, and Blu-Ray will never be allowed to be sold there.

What may boost Blu-Ray is the introduction of a new gaming console by Apple. We'll see if this happens.

No PS3 in China?

Brimstone said:

I thought it was only Shadowrun that brought out your inner crazy. This post made my head spin.

Brimstone said:

Deadmeat? Is that you???

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
BRD being in blockbusters stores is a big hit, but I dont think its the nail in the coffin everyone seems to think it is. Some people get way too tied up in this "war" on both sides. HDDVD supporters are jumping off buildings and BRD supporters are chearing them on. :lol

If HDDVD does die, I'll be marginally pissed just because I'll be forced to buy a BRD player before I wanted to... but its not like the movies I own will stop working, so its not a huge deal.. until movies start getting cancelled for release, I really dont care... and I dont see that happening anytime soon. MS and Toshiba can afford to keep this going for a while longer, and WB is pretty invested at this point in both formats surviving... so long as I continue to see content, I'll be fine. Once content stops, I'll have to buy a BRD player (which I'll probably do anyway once PS3 prices drop, which seems imminent)..

On an unrelated note: I finnaly got the Road Warrior and Lost in Translation. The former is a very surprising transfer with alot of 3d pop. Some of the darker scenes are grainy looking.. but this is one of my favorite "bad" movies. I only hope the first Mad Max makes it to HDDVD soon.. (I dont care about Beyond Thunderdome)

Lost in Translation is a mixed bag. The outdoor scenes look absolutely great and have a real 3d pop to them. The indoor scenes are alot softer looking. Still a good transfer and much better than the DVD

Brimstone said:

Brimstone said:

Wow . . . you seem to have some decent points and then you get to that last sentence which just shows that you are insane. :lol

3902.jpg

This is going to be another good seller for Disney. This movie was terrible though: that T-Rex couldn't save it. It will sell like crazy on DVD and pretty well on Blu-ray regardless because... it's univ.... Disney.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I stick my head in this thread every few days to see what amusement I can get out of the constant back and forth.

Today... Brimstone did not disappoint....

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
speculawyer said:
Wow . . . you seem to have some decent points and then you get to that last sentence which just shows that you are insane. :lol

It has already been speculated by Prudential analyst Jesse Tortora that Apple is considering entering the game console market.

Apple is a hardware company.

Apple is a very strong software company, they have their own OS.

Apple now has a very close relationship with the most powerful semiconductor company on the planet, Intel.

Xbox LIVE is a direct threat to itunes.

Apple is cash rich.

Apple has very broad name brand recognition right now thanks to the iPOD.

jjasper

DarkJediKnight said:
This is going to be another good seller for Disney. This movie was terrible though: that T-Rex couldn't save it. It will sell like crazy on DVD and pretty well on Blu-ray regardless because... it's univ.... Disney.

I thought the T-Rex was pretty funny in the commericals but didn't have high hopes for it. Disney is pretty good with transfers so I might rent it at some point, since I am expecting to be eye candy.

BTw: I wouldn't be too hot about Apple making a gaming console. Even though their brand name is more powerful than ever I doubt they have forgotten how things went last time.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If I didn't own an xbox 360, I wouldn't own any of the HD movie formats. Unlike 90% of the console crowd, I'm glad Sony and MS went that route. It means that I haven't made a major investment. I got the add-on for $160 on Ebay, and I've never paid MSRP for any movie outside of Happy Feet (which I picked up on a business trip to DC). So, if it turns out that HD DVD is discontinued, I'd just sell the add-on + movies on Ebay and use it as a down payment on a Ps3. After going HD, there's no way I'm buying dvd again. My wife and I are both enamored with HD movies.

Brimstone said:
It has already been speculated by Prudential analyst Jesse Tortora that Apple is considering entering the game console market.

Apple is a hardware company.

Apple is a very strong software company, they have their own OS.

Apple now has a very close relationship with the most powerful semiconductor company on the planet, Intel.

Xbox LIVE is a direct threat to itunes.

Apple is cash rich.

Apple has very broad name brand recognition right now thanks to the iPOD.

Brim just take a deep breath get your HD-DVD player and go back to Costco(HOPEFULLY YOU BOUGHT THIS AT COSTCO RIGHT!) Trade it in toward a blu-ray player and go home happy. Confess your sins my son and you will be forgiven I promise.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
StoOgE said:
HDDVD supporters are jumping off buildings and BRD supporters are chearing them on. :lol
Cheering on the demise of the drama queens is only to the HD-DVD camp's benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom