• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiphopgamer claims Nintendo also doing pc ports in the future

Fabieter

This guy ever get something right?

Didn't see those videos with the exact year myself but this is what I read he seemingly got right before it got officially revealed.

He revealed that Sony would publish Lost Soul Aside 6 years before it was announced. And that it would be a PS5 exclusive.

Talked about PS Now/ PS Plus revamp 2 years before PS+ extra/premium tiers came out.

Said that ps1/ps2 games would come natively to ps5 and would be added to the service, which they slowly have been.

And he also talked about Sony having a larger emphasis on accessibility this generation, which they obviously have been.

Said that PSVR2 would be compatible with PC, 2 years before the PSVR2 even came out.

Also teased MGS3 remake and a full Astro Bot game long before everyone else.

Celine

Q: Several software houses have undertaken a multi-platform strategy - signing agreements with Nintendo and others to become licensees for several different game systems. Do you think this will have a rejuvenating effect on the industry?

Y: Well, let's say that we make a game called X and we port it to game systems from Company A, Company B and Company C. Then it doesn't matter if a user bought A's, B's or C's system, he'll be able to play game X on his own console. There's no difference between any of the game systems in this case.
Now I certainly understand the reasoning behind a multi-platform strategy. As I said before, development costs have spiralled upward, and it's become difficult to guage how well something will sell in the marketplace. They want to cut their risks and be able to sell that many more copies of a single title, so they decide to just release it on everything. I can understand that.
However, if this becomes the norm, then it'll have a dire effect on the marketplace. If users can play the same game on every single system out there, then there'll be no reason to buy one system over the other. It'll be just like buying a TV; no matter which one you buy you'll still have all the same channels. In the game business, software is our lifeblood. If that software becomes the same everywhere then there'll be zero difference between companies. The marketplace will just turn into a giant hardware war.
Now, you'll agree with me that TV sets are a fairly indispensible part of life these days. More people have them then don't. Washing machines and refrigerators are the same way. People have to buy them no matter what, so dealers end up relying on added extra features and advertising to compete in the marketplace. On the other hand, game machines are far from indispensible. If the software was the same no matter which system you buy, then the only point we'd be able to sell on is price. This industry is based on producing fun, innovative games, but if that goes away then we're all done for. That's why, even though I understand where software houses are coming from, I think ultimately it could break apart the industry.

Q: That's why you continue to produce games only for your own systems, including the upcoming Gamecube.

Y: Yes. Nintendo's business is to make games that can only be played on Nintendo systems. Nintendo's games only run on Nintendo's consoles, and no one else's. Our aim is to get people to think Nintendo's games are the greatest, the best in the world.
We're devoting all of our effort to that right now, and we'll be able to show our efforts to the world this year. We'll see how it turns out after the Christmas season, or about ten or eleven months from now.

- Hiroshi Yamauchi, 2001

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
giphy.webp

bigdad2007

I could MAYBE see them port stuff like Last Story, Xenoblade, some of their visual novel stuff. The more niche series that aren’t really on brand and are very old and have already received like 3 releases.

The day Zelda/Mario are ever on another platform is the day Nintendo stops making hardware like Sega before.

Fabieter Fabieter I think most of GAF has a perception of this guy that doesn’t match the industry insider’s perceptions. I saw Huber interview him recently and he has actually made rather large connections within the gaming industry and is a big people person, bridge builder, and conversationalist, to the point where he was said to be having heart to heart convos with a few execs from MS and Sony at one point.

Barely anyone here even knows this, so they have no reason to give this rumor the time of day. In a weird way that makes him the perfect person to leak things.

Nintendo is very well positioned to release stuff on PC AND mobile. Not taking there franchises to stratosphere would be a huge mistake.

spons

Gold Member
No way in hell they're going to port to PC. They want to ship consoles. Even if the Switch 2 is a massive flop, they'll just try again.

I can't imagine Nintendo releasing their games on any platform where they could be easily modded.

That said, if there is a universe where they did release some games on PC, they would be huge sellers.

Shut0wen

Banned
If the past has shown us anything nintendo is willing to sell anything if there consoles sell badly, the wii u pushed there interest to move to mobile, i wouldnt be surprised if this happens if switch 2 reaches the lows of the wii u

Astray

People ignore that Nintendo titles have been extensively pirated on PC thru Emulation.

They need a way to monetize that revenue stream, especially now that they are heading into a platform future, with backcompat making their titles evergreen as sellable products.

Pejo

It'd be hilarious if they took the Yuzu code that they just got shut down and made that their PC porting tool.

Bernardougf

If true be prepared for a pc subscription giving you access to amazing NES titles.
I dont think even that will happen... maybe with legacy titles only from nes/snes/n64 ?? ... nothing past that... they have the most lucrative console at the market they are selling cheap 10 year old hardware with a constant price like fresh hotcakes ... they are not dumb like Ms and apparently now Sony to risk their console business.

Holammer

If true be prepared for a pc subscription giving you access to amazing NES titles.
If they did release on PC and wanted to sell old games there, I would go with a Capcom Stadium solution instead.
The target audience of those games are in their 40's and 50's now (the ones buying Switches for their kids), they don't have the time and patience to wait for Clu Clu Land to finally get added to the subscription service.

Soodanim

I'd be very surprised if Nintendo did release games on other systems. I'm under the impression they're doing very well for themselves as it is with a business model that doesn't follow the console race. They have the name brand and the legacy to continue with that, and seem to place higher value on that than the tangible gains from PC ports.

However, a related thought:
With the effort put into Nightdive's remasters and the quality of the decomp/recomp projects, it shows the potential. If you factor in the advances in frame generation, Nintendo could, if they chose, release some meaningful upgrades. Or they could not do that and keep charging monthly fees for zero effort content.

BlackTron

Q: Several software houses have undertaken a multi-platform strategy - signing agreements with Nintendo and others to become licensees for several different game systems. Do you think this will have a rejuvenating effect on the industry?

Y: Well, let's say that we make a game called X and we port it to game systems from Company A, Company B and Company C. Then it doesn't matter if a user bought A's, B's or C's system, he'll be able to play game X on his own console. There's no difference between any of the game systems in this case.
Now I certainly understand the reasoning behind a multi-platform strategy. As I said before, development costs have spiralled upward, and it's become difficult to guage how well something will sell in the marketplace. They want to cut their risks and be able to sell that many more copies of a single title, so they decide to just release it on everything. I can understand that.
However, if this becomes the norm, then it'll have a dire effect on the marketplace. If users can play the same game on every single system out there, then there'll be no reason to buy one system over the other. It'll be just like buying a TV; no matter which one you buy you'll still have all the same channels. In the game business, software is our lifeblood. If that software becomes the same everywhere then there'll be zero difference between companies. The marketplace will just turn into a giant hardware war.
Now, you'll agree with me that TV sets are a fairly indispensible part of life these days. More people have them then don't. Washing machines and refrigerators are the same way. People have to buy them no matter what, so dealers end up relying on added extra features and advertising to compete in the marketplace. On the other hand, game machines are far from indispensible. If the software was the same no matter which system you buy, then the only point we'd be able to sell on is price. This industry is based on producing fun, innovative games, but if that goes away then we're all done for. That's why, even though I understand where software houses are coming from, I think ultimately it could break apart the industry.

Q: That's why you continue to produce games only for your own systems, including the upcoming Gamecube.

Y: Yes. Nintendo's business is to make games that can only be played on Nintendo systems. Nintendo's games only run on Nintendo's consoles, and no one else's. Our aim is to get people to think Nintendo's games are the greatest, the best in the world.
We're devoting all of our effort to that right now, and we'll be able to show our efforts to the world this year. We'll see how it turns out after the Christmas season, or about ten or eleven months from now.

- Hiroshi Yamauchi, 2001

Great quote, will be the most ignored post of the thread!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Anything can happen. I doubt it at the present moment, but I also didn't think they would go mobile and it ended up happening.

If the Switch 2 is another Wii U situation they might.

BlackTron

I mean…It’s a Yamauchi interview from 23 years ago.

I've already quoted Yamauchi myself referring to this whole "consoles are dying" thing, so what? Do you think those comments ring any less true today just because time passed? Nothing he said needs to be adjusted with "well sure maybe back then, but today..." it's all principles, which don't change.

Astray

Holy shit! They did!

Most people thought it was to port PS5/XsX games to Switch.

But the real porting is from Switch to PC!!!!

I am now 100% into this rumour.
They need a steady supply of ports for Switch 2 to be at its most successful, particularly for 3P content.

Hudo

How the fuck is this thread still on page 1 but that thread about Midori confirming the existence of a Final Fantasy Tactics remaster/remake has been buried into oblivion?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Didn't see this bro in a long time

Still, I can see Nintendo doing PC games like they did smartphone games. They really did it, but you know... eh

Sorcerer

Maybe all it really will be is Nintendo Online playable in the cloud in addition to actual Nintendo hardware. Make an extra tier to play anywhere with the cloud. Nintendo would not have to worry about hacks and mods. That would be a very Nintendo thing to do. No giving a cut to Valve. I believe they have some games that are actually cloud only if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

Variahunter

I would honestly love it just to contemplate the meltdowns from the Nintendo fans.

And I say this as a former (I still buy every Nintendo console though) Nintendo fanboy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom