• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

at bloody last, those dreadful levels are behind me. the level afterwards is okay so far but I'm hoping for another level like the one just before you enter the pit of hell to help wash the taste of awful out of my mouth.

MMaRsu

at bloody last, those dreadful levels are behind me. the level afterwards is okay so far but I'm hoping for another level like the one just before you enter the pit of hell to help wash the taste of awful out of my mouth.

Blackwater park is cool till after the assassination. Then at least the first part of the epilogue is total shit again.

That 'level' where you buy a suit..rofl

Blackwater park is cool till after the assassination. Then at least the first part of the epilogue is total shit again.

so long as none of the missions are as bad as
dexter industries
, it's not a problem.

the sad thing is that the game was going well until that section. it's really soured the overall experience for me unfortunately. the next mission looks interested based on the cut scene and such, so I guess we'll see if it can redeem itself just a little bit, but it's gone from a game which I was happily recommending to one that I wouldn't wish upon anyone.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah what was that all about xD
Like RPS said assassinations happen in cutscenes but buying a suit is a full level, what?!

Aaron

Watching the video review, I can tell this isn't made by the Hitman people, but instead the Kain and Lynch people. The way the levels are designed doesn't suit a Hitman game. Dishonored is closer to the previous Hitmen than this is.

Zeliard

If you don't mind me asking; which is what exactly?

Just another in a long line of franchises that have gone the linear, cinematic route and in the process removed or reduced much of what made them special in the first place. They have massive budgets for production values and marketing, so they never take any chances.

It's become so commonplace now that it's basically a cliche. A game from a classic franchise that comes out and doesn't reduce depth and complexity in an attempt at wider appeal will be massively subverting expectations.

So I watched the Gametrailer review.

Is it accurate or does many of you feel the same way. It looks like the reception even in here is a bit mixed.

Good thing is that it looked like most of the problems could be fixed with a patch. Has there been any info on that yet?

The GT-review is utter shit and looks very unprofessional. It was enough for me that they seemed to find it funny to smash buttons and show how weird the animation of 47 drawing his pistol would look like if it was repeated in a fast way.

justjim89

Nevermind, I guess it was just an update to the pre-load. Damn. I want to play this game already.

The GT-review is utter shit and looks very unprofessional. It was enough for me that they seemed to find it funny to smash buttons and show how weird the animation of 47 drawing his pistol would look like if it was repeated in a fast way.

Yeah, I love the part where they complain that the game punishes you for taking out guards.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yeah, they really wanted to make the game look bad.

justjim89

Like I said, I think the Polygon review strikes a fine balance between the "9/10! Greatest Hitman yet!" reviews and the "5/10! It's not Blood Money!" idiocy. Just because a game is different from previous iterations does not make it worse. And it does look like it plays a lot less clunky than the older games.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Just another in a long line of franchises that have gone the linear, cinematic route and in the process removed or reduced much of what made them special in the first place. They have massive budgets for production values and marketing, so they never take any chances.

It's become so commonplace now that it's basically a cliche. A game from a classic franchise that comes out and doesn't reduce depth and complexity in an attempt at wider appeal will be massively subverting expectations.

It's so fucking sad. I waited 6 years for a follow up to Blood Money hoping that they won't streamline the fuck out of it... Silly me. If you had talked to me two months, I would think you are crazy if you told me I wouldn't be buying this game on day 1. I cancelled my pre-order this week.

Like I said, I think the Polygon review strikes a fine balance between the "9/10! Greatest Hitman yet!" reviews and the "5/10! It's not Blood Money!" idiocy. Just because a game is different from previous iterations does not make it worse. And it does look like it plays a lot less clunky than the older games.

it's not a lot less clunky in my opinion. it's slightly more clunky if anything. I miss the radial menu to select items, I don't particularly like the d-pad set up, but that's just me.

ScOULaris

I feel exactly the same way. It's really depressing, especially when people try to minimize or ignore the damage that this trend is doing to our beloved medium.

justjim89

I feel exactly the same way. It's really depressing, especially when people try to minimize or ignore the damage that this trend is doing to our beloved medium.

As I've said, what's causing it isn't some conspiracy to make games easier. It's the fact that AAA games are increasingly expensive to make. You can't have niche franchises like Hitman anymore. Games need to appeal to as many people as possible and be streamlined enough so that a large percentage of those people will beat the game and buy the next one. It's how the industry works now. It's unfortunate, but at this point I just try to take the good with the bad, and I see this game as more good than bad.

derFeef

Steam unlocks at midnight. Perfect.
Can't wait to see that super linear and cinematic Hitman game everyone makes it out to be.

MMaRsu

As I've said, what's causing it isn't some conspiracy to make games easier. It's the fact that AAA games are increasingly expensive to make. You can't have niche franchises like Hitman anymore. Games need to appeal to as many people as possible and be streamlined enough so that a large percentage of those people will beat the game and buy the next one. It's how the industry works now. It's unfortunate, but at this point I just try to take the good with the bad, and I see this game as more good than bad.

Yeah, and in turn the fans who made the franchise what it is today get shitted on and stop buying the series.

And if it fails with the mainstream too for whatever reason, the franchise is simply shitcanned and they move on to the next generic action game they can make.

Hitman games never needed big hollywood talent ( which they wanted to replace Bateson with ), and loads of money pumped into advertising. All they needed to do was copy Blood Money, and take it from there. Add whatever they thought would help the game. I'm not adverse to a cover system if applied correctly.

I don't want to traverse through rooms all conveniently set up in a certain way with chest high walls and the level design in Absolution is set up that way. There are only a few precious sandbox locations that feel on the bigger side. In these levels you do have various ways of disposing your target, but it never feels like a godly planned execution like in previous titles imo. None of it is truly satisfying. And the number of hits are damn low, or at least feel low. There are too many levels where you go from door A to door B and on the move you have to avoid thugs and cops like a regular splinter cell game.

There is nothing wrong with changing a games mechanics if it doesnt work. But BM mechanics were almost perfected when you hold them up to previous titles. This game mostly throws all that shit out of the window in favor of making a more shootbang, visceral experience that hits all the marks on the playtesters cards.

The story is weak as shit, and so are all the sidecharacters who are annoying as hell. The way the agency is portrayed in this game is also way out of wack with my perception from previous games. We have never been close to them, but discretion was always one thing high on their list. In this game, nothing will stop them from getting to 47 and they don't care about being seen. Neither does 47 by the way.

The AI is so goddamn stupid, but annoying as fuck in this game too. WHY in gods name when guards are on high alert, and standing right in front of a dumpster or closet where you are hiding, do they not notice you when you peek out of it? Why does suddenly going into crouch in the enemies line of sight reduce suspicion?

It's not bad to change a game if you change it for the better. Only the people who wanted a more linear, more handholding and gritty experience from Hitman will be glad with this game. The mainstream appeal is quite high now, but I hope it sells like shit.

ScOULaris

Just bit the spoiler bullet and watched the GT Review. I think I'm gonna cry. :'(

The mainstream appeal is quite high now, but I hope it sells like shit.

I love the Hitman series, but I hope for the same. The developers need to realize that this is not a favorable direction in which to take a series.

If this kind of shitting on fans is rewarded, then things will only get worse.

derFeef

Just bit the spoiler bullet and watched the GT Review. I think I'm gonna cry. :'(

So you have not watched anything else thus far? What have you based your current opinion on then? And as mentioned, the GT review is ridiculous. Read the RPS or the Polygon one.

MMaRsu

So you have not watched anything else thus far? What have you based your current opinion on then? And as mentioned, the GT review is ridiculous. Read the RPS or the Polygon one.

It's not ridiculous. I've played through 95% of the game and it's pretty spot on.

ScOULaris

I have read almost every major review that has been published for Absolution (including RPS and Polygon), but the GT one was the first video review that I watched. I was previously avoiding it because GT reviews are notoriously full of spoilers.

To me, the more positive reviews seem to be glossing over what I consider to be EGREGIOUS problems, especially considering the series' past accomplishments. Those reviewers might appreciate the more linear, cinematic (lol) direction, but I certainly don't. Hitman has always thrived as a sandbox with freedom of exploration and execution, and Absolution does not seem to honor that tradition whatsoever.

I can understand why some people would like Absolution, but I would hope that other fans of the series can see why myself and many others are extremely disappointed with this entry in the series. Granted, I haven't played it yet, but the reviews and player impressions that I have been reading as of late make it pretty damn clear. There are several serious dealbreakers in there, for me at least.

I love the Hitman series, but I hope for the same. The developers need to realize that this is not a favorable direction in which to take a series.

If this kind of shitting on fans is rewarded, then things will only get worse.

Cool, so if your predictions come true there won't be another Hitman game. Or are you still clinging to obsolete notion that S-E or any publisher in this day and age will limit the budget of one of their strong IPs? Instead settle for slightly-less-refined-yet-hardcore game for niche market?

It's cool, I heard 80s were groovy as well.

BibiMaghoo

My deluxe arrived today.

The statue is fucking huge. I have no where to put it now. It's real nice though for those that care.

Also, thanks SE for having a naked lady showering at the title screen. Thats real fucking discreet.

MMaRsu

Cool, so if your predictions come true there won't be another Hitman game. Or are you still clinging to obsolete notion that S-E or any publisher in this day and age will limit the budget of one of their strong IPs? Instead settle for slightly-less-refined-yet-hardcore game for niche market?

You can still make a good refined hitman game without destroying what this series is about.

Its cool i guess you want all games to play the same.

You can still make a good refined hitman game without destroying what this series is about.

As a multiplatfom AAA title? No, you can't. And S-E will not settle for anything less, for better or worse. So you will get Absolution or nothing. I would rather have Absolution than nothing.

You know older Hitman fans have every right to complain about some of the changes to the formula in comparison. Go for it. Sure you might not like the new style/gameplay design, you might throw a temper tantrum at it, condemn it even... your blood pressure going up, not mine. This does not make it a bad game though. Again it comes down to different strokes for different folks.

Say a person who has no idea what Hitman is... comes in and plays this. Is he going to say it's bad when stacking it up on its own merits alone? Doubtful. Yet a hardened long time Hitman might fan who absolutely loathes the new mechanics and linear design and shits all over it. See what I'm getting at?

MMaRsu

As a multiplatfom AAA title? No, you can't. And S-E will not settle for anything less, for better or worse. So you will get Absolution or nothing. I would rather have Absolution than nothing.

Lol if that's the case I'd rather fucking have nothing.

If we can't have original games like Hitman games, which are almost like a genre on itself because there are almost no games like it, then fuck it all.

I'd rather keep replaying the old titles instead of playing new abominations on old titles like this. Going from Chaos Theory to Conviction was bad enough, and Hitman is probably my favorite series of the two and this one stings worse.

What games are there that play like Absolution? This year for example?

Yeah none, but it plays damn similar to Conviction.

And don't tell me you couldnt make a good Hitman games with triple A values.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

There is already a new Hitman game in the making and it's not from IO.

Top Bottom