• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

ScOULaris

As a multiplatfom AAA title? No, you can't. And S-E will not settle for anything less, for better or worse. So you will get Absolution or nothing. I would rather have Absolution than nothing.
That's a defeatist attitude if I've ever seen one.

"Either you encourage them shitting on the series or you don't get anything at all."

MMaRsu

I can safely say even without having palyed Absolution yet, that this is a big nonsense.

Yeah and I can safely say that having played it 95% this is not nonsense and 50% of the game revolves around making yourself through rooms without being unseen Conviction style going from cover to cover and staying in crouch mode. Especially in hard you wont have enouch instinct to get past all the guards, and in most levels you cant find a disguise that fools most of them. In most of the bigger sandbox levels there are a few costumes that fool almost everybody but it's slim.

On some levels with a ton of guards its impossible to disguise yourself in a certain way that you could traverse the level without going from cover to cover etc.

If you dont want to believe me then dont.

Wessiej

I began this game thinking 'fuck all the haters, and fuck Mmarsu (thats what I always think),....but they are right. DAMMNIT THEY ARE RIGHT. Fuck you -O-.

Yeah, and in turn the fans who made the franchise what it is today get shitted on and stop buying the series.

And if it fails with the mainstream too for whatever reason, the franchise is simply shitcanned and they move on to the next generic action game they can make.

Hitman games never needed big hollywood talent ( which they wanted to replace Bateson with ), and loads of money pumped into advertising. All they needed to do was copy Blood Money, and take it from there. Add whatever they thought would help the game. I'm not adverse to a cover system if applied correctly.

I don't want to traverse through rooms all conveniently set up in a certain way with chest high walls and the level design in Absolution is set up that way. There are only a few precious sandbox locations that feel on the bigger side. In these levels you do have various ways of disposing your target, but it never feels like a godly planned execution like in previous titles imo. None of it is truly satisfying. And the number of hits are damn low, or at least feel low. There are too many levels where you go from door A to door B and on the move you have to avoid thugs and cops like a regular splinter cell game.

There is nothing wrong with changing a games mechanics if it doesnt work. But BM mechanics were almost perfected when you hold them up to previous titles. This game mostly throws all that shit out of the window in favor of making a more shootbang, visceral experience that hits all the marks on the playtesters cards.

The story is weak as shit, and so are all the sidecharacters who are annoying as hell. The way the agency is portrayed in this game is also way out of wack with my perception from previous games. We have never been close to them, but discretion was always one thing high on their list. In this game, nothing will stop them from getting to 47 and they don't care about being seen. Neither does 47 by the way.

The AI is so goddamn stupid, but annoying as fuck in this game too. WHY in gods name when guards are on high alert, and standing right in front of a dumpster or closet where you are hiding, do they not notice you when you peek out of it? Why does suddenly going into crouch in the enemies line of sight reduce suspicion?

It's not bad to change a game if you change it for the better. Only the people who wanted a more linear, more handholding and gritty experience from Hitman will be glad with this game. The mainstream appeal is quite high now, but I hope it sells like shit.

I agree with almost everything you say, but I do still believe there is a good game in absolution.

it does have hints of old hitman, at least early on but it is always sad to see a series abandon its roots and try to simplify and streamline everything in favour of some more sales. I don't blame IO, but I do think a lot more could have been done to preserve the core hitman experience.

the problem I feel lays squarely at the door of instinct. the levels and everything about the game is built around this mechanic, to not use it is to like not use a gun in call of duty. it's just not possible to extract any enjoyment out of the game if you refuse to use it. any sequel that make come has to drop this mechanic or at least not create the entire game based around using it.

You know I remember the days when gamers used to love getting sequels to their games. Now all I ever hear is "They changed it to much..!WAHHHHHHH" OR "It's all the same just with a few tweaked graphics! WTF is this shit. Halo 3.5 confirmed!" I hardly even see a happy medium when it comes to this.

Gamers have truly become the most whinniest, bitchiest, and most unappreciative group. It makes me pretty sad.

derFeef

Um, what? Why would you even say that? The similarities are in plain sight, and people who have played it have made the comparison as well.

So Absolutionis about ledge-grabbing, shooting while hanging upside down, not caring how many dudes you kill, etc.?

As someone who's played Hitman games since 2001, Absolution still looks like a good time and a tough challenge on higher difficulties.

guess I'm no true scotsmen

MMaRsu

You know I remember the days when gamers used to love getting sequels to their games. Now all I ever hear is "They changed it to much..!WAHHHHHHH" OR "It's all the same just with a few tweaked graphics! WTF is this shit. Halo 3.5 confirmed!" I hardly even see a happy medium when it comes to this.

Gamers have truly become the most whinniest, bitchiest, and most unappreciative group. It makes me pretty sad.

Pff whatever. There is still a decent game in here, and if you liked Conviction or previous Hitman titles and dont mind a linear game with a focus on story and the usage of cover then by all means pick this game up.

If you want explorable sandbox levels that are open to messing around in and trying new things then turn around and leave this thread my man.

The games graphics are unreal, it looks bonkers. The sound is very good too, and there are hardly any glitches or bugs in the game as far as I've seen. The game is polished.

The few sandbox levels that are in the game are ok, but none feel on the level of past games. There is nothing like Opera House, A New Life in this game.

I've probably given enough of my opinion on the game. It's not a bad game, it's certainly not a good Hitman game. I may be harsh on the game, but that is just because I hold this series in high regard. Even if it was clunky and trial and error, there was still something special about those games that this game misses.

Interfectum

Pff whatever. There is still a decent game in here, and if you liked Conviction or previous Hitman titles and dont mind a linear game with a focus on story and the usage of cover then by all means pick this game up.

If you want explorable sandbox levels that are open to messing around in and trying new things then turn around and leave this thread my man.

The games graphics are unreal, it looks bonkers. The sound is very good too, and there are hardly any glitches or bugs in the game as far as I've seen. The game is polished.

The few sandbox levels that are in the game are ok, but none feel on the level of past games. There is nothing like Opera House, A New Life in this game.

I've probably given enough of my opinion on the game. It's not a bad game, it's certainly not a good Hitman game.

This is probably the best way to put it. I haven't played it yet but I'm guessing this will be my exact opinion of it after I have. And it's what I've been fearing ever since it was announced and Tore started running his mouth about Blood Money being too complicated. (lol)

Foffy

Banned
I've probably given enough of my opinion on the game. It's not a bad game, it's certainly not a good Hitman game.

I think this depends on what aspect of Hitman you're talking about, here. I've always seen Hitman as a series where you can take out a target, and the games have often had "suggested" ways of doing so. I don't think that's seemed to have changed, save for a more emphasis on botching hits in cutscenes (this is not new to the series) or levels where there's not a particular target (also not new).

Is it that it's too much like the first two games where there's really very few choices in how the game wants you to take out a target and less of it being a sandbox attempt like in Blood Money?

I think you misunderstood my post. I agree with pretty much everything yousaid. It's just insane seeing people bash the game relentlessly for it taking a few steps differently.

MMaRsu

I made this thread over a year ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441516

Not saying I can predict the future or I'm a genius but...

So many retarded quotes you can't help but say most of us doubters were in the right.

"We have paced the game a little bit more than previous games. In Blood Money, we felt it was one huge mission, then another huge mission, then another huge mission… and you always start outside and probe your way in. It got a little repetitive at the end."

LOL

That is the best shit about Hitman.

Former IO employee "Voodooman"
:
"At the next Hitman game coming, they tried a person in charge with passion and balls to rethink (Nor me), but alas he was removed and K & L management has taken over. It does not bode well for IO and Hitman future"

Yeah this said it all.

Hi Guys

We won't be dictated to by the fans

We will be dictated to by focus groups though and be lead by the ideals of publishers too

We will also copy other developers if we want, even though we had something unique going ourselves

FUCK YOU GUYS,
We are awesome.

IO
xxx

sCHOCOLATE

After reading through all these comments and game site reviews, the answer is clear. The only satisfaction will come from the Hitman HD collection.

Hitman faithful have been waiting for this new chapter. IO Interactive wants to move the series(game mechanics and storyline) along, I understand that.

But to dilute the bread-and-butter, most anticipated, concepts of the new game and add what seems to amount to "filler" is not the way to maximize sales.

Hitman set itself apart by giving the player plenty of freedom to explore, strategize and execute their plan. Each level in the previous games, that I played, were enjoyable simply because the choices were many. Definitely not because of some graphical technology or cinematic wizardry.

Hitman Absolution was available in retail in Ontario last Friday. I looked long and hard at that $59.99 price tag. I decided to wait until somebody returns their copy on trade.

When the Hitman HD collection finally shows up, I'd have no problem paying $59.99 or more for the set.

If a new James Bond film was released where Bond arrives at each engagement carrying enough firepower to level a small city, that movie is no longer a James Bond movie. Similarly, a Schwarzenegger movie without copious amounts of firepower and violence is often relegated to an afterthought, i.e., Kindergarten Cop, Twins, Junior. A.K.A. something the actor and all involved probably wants to forget ever happened.

MMaRsu

I guess it's spot-on.

Not really a great review because he talks about bugs when there are hardly none. The AI is just retarded.

It's telling that the best part of Hitman Absolution is Contracts - a game mode with no terrible story, no pointless moving from one place to another, no cutscene kills. It's a shame to watch a developer so fundamentally misunderstand a game, but it's worse to see a series so lauded for its imagination exhibit so little.

The three is harsh but vindicated if he felt that way. Read his full review if you want.

Wishing for this to sell badly is the craziest thing I've ever heard. If it sells badly you'll never get another Agent 47 game, let along one that returns you to what you want from the franchise. No offense, but Square don't give a shit about you/us. They care about sales. This is a punt, to see if the franchise has legs. But if it doesn't do 4 million, it's done, and I'd bet the one in early days of development at Montreal is done as well.

MMaRsu

Wishing for this to sell badly is the craziest thing I've ever heard. If it sells badly you'll never get another Agent 47 game, let along one that returns you to what you want from the franchise. No offense, but Square don't give a shit about you/us. They care about sales. This is a punt, to see if the franchise has legs. But if it doesn't do 4 million, it's done, and I'd bet the one in early days of development at Montreal is done as well.
If it doesn't do 4 million? Lol.

I don't care about Square, I want a good Hitman game. A worthy sequel.

I will buy the HD collection instead.

Interfectum

I think it will sell well enough to warrent another one and I hope the devs of Hitman 6 listen to the feedback and act accordingly.

The blueprint is there in Blood Money. Follow it.

Similarly, a Schwarzenegger movie without copious amounts of firepower and violence is often relegated to an afterthought, i.e., Kindergarten Cop, Twins, Junior. A.K.A. something the actor and all involved probably wants to forget ever happened.

Kindergarten Cop was great. You just have to have a soul and know what your getting into.

There is no online pass for Absolution:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/11/19/hitman-absolution-online-pass-ditched-content-free

Hitman: Absolution will no longer require an online pass to access the new Contracts mode, Square Enix has revealed.

It was originally planned that a code would be included in the game's box to unlock the mode, in which you can create your own custom hits within the game’s levels, sandbox-style.

A post on the game's Tumblr reads, "We'd actually planned to have this mode accessible via a code in the game's box, but we really want to make it available to anybody that plays the game - so we want to take a new approach."

European gamers will still see a code inside the box promising to unlock the Contracts mode, but this isn't needed, as the entry goes on to explain.

"If you’re in North America you’ll see the mode automatically appear in the game menu. If you’re elsewhere, you can redeem the code inside the box, or you can simply select the Buy Contracts Pass option. From there, head to the store where Contracts will be free to access."

It's pretty good news, as we found in our review of the game that Contracts mode really extends the lifespan of the game as well as provides an opportunity to be both creative and competitive with your mates.

Hitman: Absolution will release on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC on November 20.

njr

I made this thread over a year ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441516

Not saying I can predict the future or I'm a genius but...

It's interesting how at every step until the moment of release the people in doubt were told to wait and see.

- When they initially revealed information about streamlining the game (making it accessible), the skeptics were told to wait until they show footage. I'll agree with this.

- They unveiled a more action oriented footage of the game which they always do, but the skeptics were told to wait for a video with more stealth based gameplay.

- They finally showed KOCT which finally gave a positive reaction, because they showed Hitman at its core.

The game had so much potential if they had listened to valid complaints. It's a shame that those complaints were just passed off as being a unappreciative purist that doesn't want to accept change.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Are there any deals for the console version? CAG had one for Newegg for $47.99, but I think it already expired.

sCHOCOLATE

Kindergarten Cop was great. You just have to have a soul and know what your getting into.

Tsk, tsk. Did I say it was a bad movie? And I have a soul, thanks.

What percentage of movie goers(average watchers and Schwarz fans) remember(or want to remember) Schwarz for any of those three movies I lisetd?

The most memorable movies are the ones where Schwarz plays to his strengths. It doesn't mean he shouldn't break out of type-casting, but he got the best media mileage out of movies involving guns and violence.

IO Interactive should have played the majority of Absolution to the strengths of the franchise they established. What it appears they now have is a split audience. And historically, game developers don't want this situation. All in, for the win.

Robso

Don't mean to come across as ignorant (but I will do). I've never played a Hitman game and have avoided everything I've seen about this due to wanting to get the Hitman HD Collection (if it ever gets announced).

I'm just wondering, if Absolution were to be my first Hitman does anyone know if the previous games would be spoilt?

MMaRsu

Don't mean to come across as ignorant (but I will do). I've never played a Hitman game and have avoided everything I've seen about this due to wanting to get the Hitman HD Collection (if it ever gets announced).

I'm just wondering, if Absolution were to be my first Hitman does anyone know if the previous games would be spoilt?

No the previous games would not be spoiled, but this game is pretty damn different from those other titles. I would still recommend playing BM or Hitman 2 before this game though. Just to know what is so good about those games.

Robso

No the previous games would not be spoiled, but this game is pretty damn different from those other titles. I would still recommend playing BM or Hitman 2 before this game though. Just to know what is so good about those games.

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I'm planning to do. Really hope this supposed HD Collection finally gets announced.

Interfectum

Added a shit-ton of reviews to the OP:

j7zd28IjgY0yf.jpg

IGN - 9.0
After several years of increasingly totalitarian games where you're very much following a pre-determined path, it's nice to have a game that doesn't just encourage improvisation; it requires it.

CVG - 9/10
Overall though, Absolution delivers on the anticipation of a series that has been lingering menacingly in the shadows for six long years. It does so with creativity, genuine player choice, the odd smile and an unrivalled panache for turning murder into an art form.

Games Radar - 4.5/5
Absolution continues Hitman’s tradition of open-ended gameplay, accommodating the silent assassins and blatant sociopaths among you.

Gaming Trend - 90/100
Stealth is my genre, and from sneaky signature kills to spectacularly horrifying 'accidents', nobody does it quite like Agent 47.

OPM and OXM - 9/10 (very early review, grain of salt required)
Here [Hitman has] finally been perfected in what is probably a peak for the series so far. It takes the ideas that made the original games so great and presents them in a modern context of checkpoints, hints and forgiveness but without sacrificing any of the challenge, excitement or shivery-skinned thrill of pulling off some impossibly and beautifully planned hit.

Game Informer - 8.75/10
Despite all of Absolution's improvements, Hitman still isn't for everyone. The pace remains slower and more methodical than most action games, and you'll find yourself reloading checkpoints countless times, in part because they are frustratingly tied to physical locations. If you take a different approach than what the developer had in mind, you may miss them completely. Attaining the rank of Silent Assassin still requires patience, skill, and more than a little trial and error. But while Hitman is slower than most games, it's also smarter. Devising a strategy to your advantage, and leaving before anyone knows you're there are the hallmarks of a perfect hit, and Absolution proves Agent 47 is still the gaming's premier hitman.

Polygon - 8.5
It's not as cerebral as Hitman: Blood Money. But that doesn't stop Hitman: Absolution from being a smart, unique action title, and a hell of a lot of fun.

Destructoid - 8.5/10
While some simplifications could irk fans who may complain that the game has been watered down, the range of difficulty options should provide ample satisfaction for players who seek a classic Hitman experience without totally alienating those trying its unique blend of stealth and exploration for the first time.

Xbox 360 Achievements - 83/100
Hitman: Absolution is the sequel to Blood Money that fans have been itching for. In terms of game mechanics it’s the best Hitman that IO Interactive has ever created, although the lack of inherently unique settings is a disappointment.

EGM - 8.0/10
Hitman: Absolution features plenty of smart new features and tweaks that modernize the franchise without abandoning the essence of what made it great-but the new save system is awful enough to undo a lot of that good.

Joystiq - 4/5
Hitman: Absolution has its flaws, but its healthy dose of stealth and creative assassinations reminded me once again why it can be so good to be a bad guy.

Gamespot - 7.5/10
Hitman: Absolution's vivid world and enjoyable stealth-action gameplay overshadow its few notable inconsistencies.

Eurogamer - 7/10
Hitman: Absolution doesn't make you feel that way often enough for my liking, but amidst the inevitable and deserved grumbling about its awkward checkpoint system, small levels and weird obsession with its daft story, hopefully those who persevere with it will be rewarded by enough of those moments to make the whole thing feel worthwhile.

Edge - 7/10
At its worst, Absolution is never less than a solid action-stealth title.

Gametrailers - 6.9/10
The check bounced.

PC Gamer - 62/100
A passable stealth game, but one that betrays almost everything that, until now, has made Hitman great.

Videogamer - 5/10
The problem with Absolution is that its new custodians from the Kane and Lynch team seem to have fundamentally misunderstood what made Hitman great.

Game Arena - 3/10
I felt like I was taking crazy pills.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Although the reliance on the weak story is in some ways the core of the problem, there’s also the fact that Absolution has become a stealth game rather than a Hitman game. It’s mostly about avoidance rather than blending in or surveying, and the execution of the conceptual shift is lacking.

Shacknews
It's difficult to tell what IO was trying to do with the characters: were they meant to be intentionally funny, or are they simply poorly designed? Given the story features sexy ninja assassin nuns and a villain with a robotic hand, I wonder why the game takes itself so seriously.

Kotaku
a good deal of Absolution's story involves a man named Dexter.

Conan O'Brian Reviews Hitman
Youtube Comment said:
fuck IGN, GTTV, Gamespot.

Foffy

Banned
For those that have access to the PC version already, are the Contracts IO made available? I've only seen them in footage of the console versions, unless they're under a different name on PC. Or does anyone know the name of them? I know one is simply called "The Hit on Sargent Meyer", and I think IO made about three for the game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Why does everyone say this about every controversial title? Not every game is a test. We've seen plenty of poorly received, poorly selling games get sequels.

Foffy

Banned
Why does everyone say this about every controversial title? Not every game is a test. We've seen plenty of poorly received, poorly selling games get sequels.

It's also from Square-Enix. Look at all of the XIII sequels it didn't deserve to get. I'm not sure Hitman 6 will be too heavily affected if Absolution is received poorly.

Top Bottom