• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Derrick01

Banned
It most certainly is not.

Graphics? Maybe not compared to this game but then again IO didn't choose to cripple the level design to squeeze out as much graphics stuff as possible with BM.

I don't know I think the environments still look pretty good and 47 looks pretty good, but most other people in the game are pretty ugly. Keep in mind this was a 2006 game after all.

ekim

Going stealth without killing anyone except the target isn't possible in king of Chinatown on expert right? None of the accident kills were possible for me to pull. And I don't want to lose score for killing non-targets. :-/

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Graphics? Maybe not compared to this game but then again IO didn't choose to cripple the level design to squeeze out as much graphics stuff as possible with BM.

I don't know I think the environments still look pretty good and 47 looks pretty good, but most other people in the game are pretty ugly. Keep in mind this was a 2006 game after all.

Gears of War came out in 06, man lol

Going stealth without killing anyone except the target isn't possible in king of Chinatown on expert right? None of the accident kills were possible for me to pull. And I don't want to lose score for killing non-targets. :-/

It is:
steal the poison fish and poison the drugs before the dealer gets there

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Ive done most of them on expert.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gears of War came out in 06, man lol

To be fair gears 1 looks pretty dated now as well. The maradi gras level in BM was nuts back then, even if its a stretch it's still very cool seeing them go from that to the crowds in this game on the same console. The NPCs are also ugly as hell in BM, lol.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
To be fair gears 1 looks pretty dated now as well. The maradi gras level in BM was nuts back then, even if its a stretch it's still very cool seeing them go from that to the crowds in this game on the same console. The NPCs are also ugly as hell in BM, lol.

It does look dated, but that game looks descent for its age. Also, Chaos Theory came out in 2005 :eek:

Derrick01

Banned
It does look dated, but that game looks descent for its age. Also, Chaos Theory came out in 2005 :eek:

That's more along the lines of what I meant. I didn't mean to imply that it looks great for our time, just that it's not some PS1 game that aged horribly in a generation. I thought the neighborhood of A New Life looked pretty good when walking down the street and as stated the mardi gras level was still more impressive than what most games could do up until Absolution came out. I mean the AC series always wanted to give that feel off with its crowds but never could come close.

To be fair I'm catching up on a few days I missed back when no one owned the game yet. Allow me some gloating for now since I couldn't do it when the embargo ended :p
say_wha.gif

who gloats over a game. clearly time for you to step outside.

say_wha.gif

who gloats over a game. clearly time for you to step outside.

Well with all the "EAT CROW LULZ" posts when the china town video was released...
KuGsj.gif

Only played the four first missions so far but it really isn't doing anything for me, everything just feels much more linear which takes a lot the enjoyment out of killing away, doesn't help with the many cutscenes that are for the most part more annoying that anything, would have been so much greater actually
shooting Diana yourself than having it happen in a cutscene

Also I'm having a hard time on purist mode, which kind of sucks as I prefer to play without HUD and everything just seems to be designed around instinct mode. Also the disguise and save system sucks, but we all know that. It looks fucking awesome though, shame they had to downgrade so much else in the process of making it look awesome, easily in my top 5 best looking games this gen.

sCHOCOLATE

Agreed. After revisiting the demo a night ago, Blood Money's graphics are fine. Clean, consistent and enjoyable.

Too much eye-candy rots the teeth and spoils the appetite for what a game should be focused on, properly executed code and solid gameplay.

Derrick01

Banned
But I'm not posting anywhere near as much as you are about a game you haven't or will ever play, and gloating about it being shit. Almost as if... there's a difference....

Eh I know I said I'll probably never play it but I know I won't avoid a really good deal on the PC version if it happens at a time of year I have nothing else to play.

Like I can picture Tony from Amazon competing with the Steam winter sale and offering it for half off and I just traded in the Ratchet Collection for $10 so for $15 yeah I'd likely get it. They've had crazier deals than that.

Well with all the "EAT CROW LULZ" posts when the china town video was released...
KuGsj.gif

Yeah this too. I know for a fact at least a couple of people in this thread were in most of the older ones and had crow pictures saved for "haters". You know who you are ;p

Eh I know I said I'll probably never play it but I know I won't avoid a really good deal on the PC version if it happens at a time of year I have nothing else to play.

Like I can picture Tony from Amazon competing with the Steam winter sale and offering it for half off and I just traded in the Ratchet Collection for $10 so for $15 yeah I'd likely get it. They've had crazier deals than that.

Yeah this too. I know for a fact at least a couple of people in this thread were in most of the older ones and had crow pictures saved for "haters". You know who you are ;p

I woulda called them out too. If you're going to play it that's cool, I've just never been a fan of people judging a game/movie/book/whatever without trying it first.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well of course you do it without alerting anyone. And yes, my score was fucked. If youhide bodies the score fixes itself but i actually ran out of space to hide them. This includes 5 in the ball pit.

Goddamn. Does expert add that many people?

Contracts had the best soundtrack. So good.

jesse-pinkman-breakin66s8p.gif

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
RoseWood is one of the best stealth missions ever. I've never been so tense in a game for a long time. I know how to get Silent Assassin and almost did, without having to kill anyone and keep my original disguise. I fucked up at the end for throwing the item right next to me which got the last enemy to detect :( Time to do it again!

So goood.

I am starting to think NotTheGuyYouKill is the like my lost twin brother because of how we seem to have the same thoughts and love for the same stuff on here. It's getting a bit creepy :p

RoseWood is one of the best stealth missions ever. I've never been so tense in a game for a long time. I know how to get Silent Assassin and almost did, without having to kill anyone and keep my original disguise. I fucked up at the end for throwing the item right next to me which got the last enemy to detect :( Time to do it again!

So goood.

I am starting to think NotTheGuyYouKill is the like my lost twin brother because of how we seem to have the same thoughts and love for the same stuff on here. It's getting a bit creepy :p

oyXH2.gif

Jintor

Looking at Absolution from a non-Hitman perspective, it's actually a pretty great pure stealth game (except when they decide to bottleneck you in a tiny room with one exit and six guards). Rolling from cover to cover, throwing (limited) things to distract attention (or in my case a single silenced pistol shot into a barrel, harming no-one but blowing up a car that distracted everybody's attention for long enough to get past), corner takedowns, hiding bodies; these are all the kind of things that work pretty great if this was a game about getting in and out unseen. But, it's just... that's not Hitman. There's so many other franchises I can go for if I want to play a stealthy git who doesn't get seen. But the daring of Hitman has always been social stealth, of being seen but not recognised or remembered. And the fact that I have to roll from cover to cover even if I blend in to the crowd perfectly is just stupid.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

So goood.

Wait until dexter industries and death factory.

Derrick01

Banned
Looking at Absolution from a non-Hitman perspective, it's actually a pretty great pure stealth game (except when they decide to bottleneck you in a tiny room with one exit and six guards). Rolling from cover to cover, throwing (limited) things to distract attention (or in my case a single silenced pistol shot into a barrel, harming no-one but blowing up a car that distracted everybody's attention for long enough to get past), corner takedowns, hiding bodies; these are all the kind of things that work pretty great if this was a game about getting in and out unseen. But, it's just... that's not Hitman. There's so many other franchises I can go for if I want to play a stealthy git who doesn't get seen. But the daring of Hitman has always been social stealth, of being seen but not recognised or remembered. And the fact that I have to roll from cover to cover even if I blend in to the crowd perfectly is just stupid.

Now see your first few sentences highly intrigue me as a massive stealth game fan but the part of me that says "this should be hitman" is fighting with that other part. I almost wish I could just not care about my favorite franchises. As you said there are still a lot of games I can play with generic don't get seen objectives with fairly decent pure stealth mechanics whereas I still don't know of many games that do what Hitman did. Or even try to really.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member

I do agree that the disguise system in this with the social combat mechanics on the higher difficulties seem to be broken and BM had a far better concept on how it was executed, but there is some of the sandbox elements injected in the layers of this game, and this does have a very few sand box levels that remind me of Blood Money, but it is totally reminding me of Hitman 2:Silent Assassin more than anything. I have a feeling the whole checkpoint and some of the level/technical design for this game was hampered by aiming for the current generation console limitations (As the director as hinted).

I really do love the depth of the stealth in this system but do miss the grand sandbox mythos of Hitman. I can kind of forgive that though since the story and atmosphere has a different tone with 47 and this much more personal and isolated approach. If more than anything this title has made me much more excited for the future of this series since it can only get better from here with Montreal wanting to make some interesting changes and they wont be restrained from the hardware of today so they can can combine the best of this and bring back that rich sandbox level up further. The feedback and fan response, and the time and tools now on their side even further, the ultimate Hitman game can be put in the making for the next sequel. Have no doubt but I have such strong confidence for the future, even if this title is different and had some things removed, the soul is heavily there and it's still a Hitman game in many ways. It's also far, far the funniest Hitman game to date and I've not even finished it yet!

Even if Derrick bought the game he would crap on it no matter how good it really is because for people like this their opinion is already made before playing it. Kind of like how sometimes you can tell in some game reviews the author made up his mind on the game beforehand.

Top Bottom