• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

To be fair, nowhere in the article does Tore actually confirm it'll be yearly. All he's announcing is alternating development.

Hm, that interesting. Semi-annually? A new game every other year?

I'm wrapping my head around that if that were the case. So... let's say, 2014 would be Eidos, 2016 is IO, 2018 is Eidos, 2020 is IO? That certainly would give like 3, 4 years of dev time for each studio, or it would allow them to alternate with other projects?

I want to say that yearly would make more sense. But every other year would be okay with me.

The original Assassin is not back.

This game is the Franchise downfall. Much like Conviction to Splinter Cell. How can you screw up so hard??? After what they gave us with Blood Money. Absolution just feel like a travesty of what a Hitman game is all about.

If you are new to the franchise I can understand why you like the game. It is also gorgeous. Honestly the game is looking great. It is a descent stealth/action game. But that's it. Far from the previous Hitman games.

The story itself is not great, never have been a big selling point of the Hitman games to be honest. But this one is low on the charts even for a hitman game as far as story telling is concerned.

Some protagonist are great though. Like Dexter. Great acting.

Gameplay wise? What the fuck man. Instinct pool? Who thought of that? Completely take out of the game one big part of what Hitman fun was about.

The hunter being hunted. That's just what I felt throughout the game. And I didn't like it. Also not enough different type of missions map.

Another great franchise tossed in the thrashcan. Honestly, if you played previous Hitman games and you like this one, I don't know how's that possible.

justjim89

The original Assassin is not back.

This game is the Franchise downfall. Much like Conviction to Splinter Cell. How can you screw up so hard??? After what they gave us with Blood Money. Absolution just feel like a travesty of what a Hitman game is all about.

If you are new to the franchise I can understand why you like the game. It is also gorgeous. Honestly the game is looking great. It is a descent stealth/action game. But that's it. Far from the previous Hitman games.

The story itself is not great, never have been a big selling point of the Hitman games to be honest. But this one is low on the charts even for a hitman game as far as story telling is concerned.

Some protagonist are great though. Like Dexter. Great acting.

Gameplay wise? What the fuck man. Instinct pool? Who thought of that? Completely take out of the game one big part of what Hitman fun was about.

The hunter being hunted. That's just what I felt throughout the game. And I didn't like it. Also not enough different type of missions map.

Another great franchise tossed in the thrashcan. Honestly, if you played previous Hitman games and you like this one, I don't know how's that possible.

Because some people are able to enjoy games for what they are and not what we wanted them to be.

Also, Dexter is an antagonist. Antagonist. 47 is the protagonist. lrn2highschoolenglishclass

eXistor

I'm sure if I had played previous Hitman games I'd be raging now too, but as a Hitman virgin, I'm loving my first experience. After this I'll play Blood Money and see how it compares.

Derrick01

Banned
Resident Evil 4

*throws hands in air*

"Viiindiicaation"

Picking a shit series to begin with doesn't mean anything. It was only ever considered survival horror because the controls were so bad you were at a huge disadvantage against most non-zombie enemies.

vidcons said:
The loss of randomly generated dungeons and quests was crucial to the franchise.

That's when it got good. Randomly generated levels and quests is a waste of everyone's time.

derFeef

Picking a shit series to begin with doesn't mean anything. It was only ever considered survival horror because the controls were so bad you were at a huge disadvantage against most non-zombie enemies.

bgFbB.gif

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I've said it before, but I will never understand how people can trap their enjoyment of a game behind its name. I hear this all the time and it is kind of silly to me. I enjoyed Blood Money, and I enjoy Absolution. If it was called Tetsuo is a piece of shit idiot I would still like it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've said it before, but I will never understand how people can trap their enjoyment of a game behind its name. I hear this all the time and it is kind of silly to me. I enjoyed Blood Money, and I enjoy Absolution. If it was called Tetsuo is a piece of shit idiot I would still like it.

Well, I guess stating your game is part of an established franchise with a collective of identifiable mechanics and design philosophies weights certain expectations on said game, especially since existing within a franchise is likely to lure in fans of said franchise.

I'm mostly enjoying it, but I'm very disappointed that it is, in my opinion, an extremely shitty Hitman game.

vidcons

Banned

That's when it got good. Randomly generated levels and quests is a waste of everyone's time.

So really, you don't have an issue with franchises changing direction, you just want to bitch and moan about a game you haven't played.

Very nice.

Derrick01

Banned
So really, you don't have an issue with franchises changing direction, you just want to bitch and moan about a game you haven't played.

Very nice.

Not a very good reader are you?

Changing a franchise when it's a shit one to begin with is fine. It'd be like if Conviction and Blacklist were the first two splinter cells and then people started whining because they put out Chaos Theory next. Yeah I liked RE 1-3 when they came out, I was also 8 and had no idea what critique meant let alone how to actually do it at that point.

not_so_special said:

Don't worry about it. He's stretching as hard as he can to try and make my argument about this bad game look bad.

rvy

Banned
Managed to get a Suit Only run in "A Personal Contract", but SA ranking is hard on... well, hard. I don't think it's even possible.

vidcons

Banned
Meaning that trying so hard to remove it from the rest of the series just so you can feel better about its failings is pointless. It's a sequel with a Hitman name, it gets judged by Hitman standards.

And no I haven't played it and I'm not sure if I will now after reading dozens of reviews and impressions here. You can say that that invalidates my opinion on this but so far everything I have read on the game from people who have played it have been things I saw coming for the longest time. Maybe I'll get to it when I no longer care about the series like Splinter Cell. I can play Conviction now and feel nothing other than "this isn't a good game really".

Not a very good reader are you?

Changing a franchise when it's a shit one to begin with is fine. It'd be like if Conviction and Blacklist were the first two splinter cells and then people started whining because they put out Chaos Theory next. Yeah I liked RE 1-3 when they came out, I was also 8 and had no idea what critique meant let alone how to actually do it at that point.

Don't worry about it. He's stretching as hard as he can to try and make my argument about this bad game look bad.

And no I haven't played it
"And no I haven't played it"

Your argument is terrible to begin with but you do a pretty good job at invalidating yourself post after post.

Lothars

Your argument is terrible to begin with but you do a pretty good job at invalidating yourself post after post.
It's Derrick, I would take anything he says with a grain of salt.

I've heard so many mixed things about Absolution but I still plan to play it.

Derrick01

Banned

Well I could just go back through this thread and grab people's complaints on the game and say "I told you this was going to happen" on each one but I figure that'd be a little too obnoxious.

I'm not sure why I need to buy and play something that I already knew was going to have all of these crippling problems. It seems redundant. And a waste of my money.

Played this morning and am up to the 3rd mission. For the second mission in Chinatown, all I did was walk to the left at the start to trigger the car alarm and the mark walked to his car and I wired him and threw into the dumpster, then simply walked to the exit which was nearby and the mission ended.

I was disappointed it was this short because the map looks really cool and there's lots of NPCs. Did the mission a second time to see what else I could find and found the sniper where the DJ room is and got the evidences and so on, but imo you shouldn't be able to beat that mission so fast. It's not like I was trying to beat it fast, I take my time in games and always have longer play times than most people, yet that mission was over in a couple minutes. It shouldn't be possible, especially accidentally which is how it pretty much was for me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well I could just go back through this thread and grab people's complaints on the game and say "I told you this was going to happen" on each one but I figure that'd be a little too obnoxious.

I'm not sure why I need to buy and play something that I already knew was going to have all of these crippling problems. It seems redundant. And a waste of my money.

That's just allowing others opinions speak for your own when you don't even know if te accurate or not, which is an incredibly weak basis to form an argument on. People still keep saying "convictionized" or "dumbed down", neither of which apply to Absolution. The only flaw is the AI being too stingy with disguise covers, which I don't recall ever hearing about. And from what I've played on Hard, it isn't bad to the point of disguises being useless. Rosewood is a tricky level to move around in with one, but I got through it with no covers blown, and the way I went wouldnt have worked without it. That sentence means nothing to you without actually playing through it yourself.

This game is absolutely delivering as a Hitman game to me, even if it isnt much like Blood Money. The amount of options in each level is still present, even if they're on a different scale. Hunter and Hunted is massive in a different scope, but still very impressive for all the ways it can play out.

derFeef

Aww man I might nudge it down to Hard again, this is brutal!

Like I said before, I am not sure what you think is wrong with it, actually is. But I am also tired of the thread wanting to cater to you, or argue with you. Nothing personal at all, but I think it's not getting anywhere.

Derrick01

Banned
That's just allowing others opinions speak for your own when you don't even know if te accurate or not

I did know though. Anyone could have if they paid attention to what the devs were saying and what the previews were saying in the past year. Someone doesn't need to tell me that running into a wall hurts I figured that one out on my own too.

Papercuts

I did know though. Anyone could have if they paid attention to what the devs were saying and what the previews were saying in the past year. Someone doesn't need to tell me that running into a wall hurts I figured that one out on my own too.

Know what? I don't recall your posts predicting the AI being so hard to get by. That's really the only major change that's causing people to play the game differently.

justjim89

Derrick, why are you here? I don't mean to seem disrespectful, but it seems a bit silly. You don't own the game, you don't plan on owning the game, and your presence here is apparently to just talk the game down and justify not owning it. Pissing in other people's cereal just for the sake of pissing in their cereal. Is being right on the internet that important to you?

Sethos

Banned
Derrick, why are you here? I don't mean to seem disrespectful, but it seems a bit silly. You don't own the game, you don't plan on owning the game, and your presence here is apparently to just talk the game down and justify not owning it. Pissing in other people's cereal just for the sake of pissing in their cereal. Is being right on the internet that important to you?

That's just Derrick. On the inside he's actually very fluffy and warm.

AppleMIX

You haven't been her long. Derrick is a vortex of negativity.

Can anyone confirm that you cannot get Silent Assassin rating in segments that don't have you assassinating anyone?

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to get SA during the Prologue? I got 34 410, but that still wasn't enough for SA.

derFeef

Linesr doesn't suit the game at all even if the levels aren't as big as previous outings.

Dude, one area leads into another one, that's linear!
Also this game is hard when you are really tired. Anyone just keeps going if you mess up? I have the bad habit of restarting when I am not liking the way it goes ... guess I should stop doing that.

It's because he's the hero NeoGAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll attack him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a faithful customer, a legacy protector. A True Fan.

When I mess up, I just start shooting. I've never tried for a SA ranking on the first playthrough of any Hitman game. Sometimes I make it through without being spotted and everyone is lucky to be alive, other times I leave a trail of bodies in my wake.

The only time I actively restart a mission is when I have to because I died.

Papercuts

Dude, one area leads into another one, that's linear!
Also this game is hard when you are really tired. Anyone just keeps going if you mess up? I have the bad habit of restarting when I am not liking the way it goes ... guess I should stop doing that.

I always start playing more aggressively as I get farther in Hitman games. I think trying something like suit only from the start on a first time play through gets old. I completely shot up the gun store which was a lot of fun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The check pointing system is definitively broken in your favour if you're not on a high difficulty, so much so I don't believe it was intentional. Take the mission where you need to take out three targets in one area. On normal there's three+ checkpoints you can activate in that area, and whenever you respawn at a check point it resets the entire level's pacification down to neutral.

So, you can take out a target near a checkpoint, and no matter how nasty and messy and fucked up the kill is you can "reset" at the checkpoint and in turn "reset" the game world. I tried it, and you can cheese your way through all three kills.

Kill target one -> hit checkpoint -> messy kill, shootout with cops -> crowd dispersed, level now super hard -> die by cops -> respawn at checkpoint, target one marked as kill, cops/crowd reset to neutral, repeat with target two.

Did the same thing with target three, which was super messy causing SWAT to roll in, the crowd totally dispersed, and pinned down near a locked door there's no way I could open. Died, respawned, and all three targets were dead. Everyone neutral, so I just walked to the door, unlocked it, and left.

hitwnsh7.png

hit2pjs2n.png

Foffy

Banned
Maybe he got caught again
. I haven't reached this part, but maybe... just maybe...

Lynch is gonna break him out again!

Nah, the issue I find is the scene is just a repeat of the opening dialog to the first game, hence why I was confused with its placement. It also doesn't make sense as in the first game he was arrested in California, and I believe the jail he's in is in South Dakota. Perhaps its an easter egg, but a strange, inconsistent one. I think the Kane in the cell doesn't even have a messed up nose from the one in the bar fight.

Papercuts

The check pointing system is definitively broken in your favour if you're not on a high difficulty, so much so I don't believe it was intentional. Take the mission where you need to take out three targets in one area. On normal there's three+ checkpoints you can activate in that area, and whenever you respawn at a check point it resets the entire level's pacification down to neutral.

So, you can take out a target near a checkpoint, and no matter how nasty and messy and fucked up the kill is you can "reset" at the checkpoint and in turn "reset" the game world. I tried it, and you can cheese your way through all three kills.

Kill target one -> hit checkpoint -> messy kill, shootout with cops -> crowd dispersed, level now super hard -> die by cops -> respawn at checkpoint, target one marked as kill, cops/crowd reset to neutral, repeat with target two.

Did the same thing with target three, which was super messy causing SWAT to roll in, the crowd totally dispersed, and pinned down near a locked door there's no way I could open. Died, respawned, and all three targets were dead. Everyone neutral, so I just walked to the door, unlocked it, and left.

hitwnsh7.png

hit2pjs2n.png

Even on hard it's in your favor. You can shoot up the place and run away to a hiding spot until it gets cautious, then use a checkpoint and restart. Really dumb system, so I just ignore them now.

Nah, the issue I find is the scene is just a repeat of the opening dialog to the first game, hence why I was confused with its placement. It also doesn't make sense as in the first game he was arrested in California, and I believe the jail he's in is in South Dakota. Perhaps its an easter egg, but a strange, inconsistent one. I think the Kane in the cell doesn't even have a messed up nose from the one in the bar fight.

He's in the bar fight? Seriously? I didn't see him. Are you sure it's death row and not just... an arrest for being in a fight? But I haven't hit this section yet (just passed the gun range and saw Lynch)

Maybe they just reused lines they already had from previous games instead of getting the actors to record new dialogue.

good lord, I got stuck at one level for around an hour because of the instinct mechanic. LOL to those that said it would make things easier because it's the exact opposite. Also, there were some areas that are just pure fluff and could have been cut out. Other than that, I'm having fun with this game. Contracts mode is fun to play and I have came across some challenging contracts.

Derrick01

Banned

To be fair I'm catching up on a few days I missed back when no one owned the game yet. Allow me some gloating for now since I couldn't do it when the embargo ended :p

So is Expert actually fucked up? Because that's what I was planning on starting with.

Yeah, I dropped to Hard when I got to the fifth level, Hunter and Hunted. If they don't patch the distance disguise problem, it'll stay that way.

There is no benefit of playing exclusively on Expert as the achievement is for any "professional" difficulty which are Hard, Expert, and Purist. You get a few more points with Expert but that's assuming you get a perfect run each time and I don't want to spend 5 hours on a single level :p

Hard has the right amount of challenge and experimentation possible. At least for a first playthrough.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Purist mode is ridiculous. For anyone hoping it would somehow turn this game into a normal Hitman game let me tell you it doesn't. not at all.

Playing King of Chinatown I'm just walking around in the crowd and I must've stepped into a trespassing area and instantly the fake surrender thing comes up (which basically means you restart or die in a shootout).

Derrick01

Banned
Derrick do you still play Blood Money?

Actually I started it again while I was gone and put in a few levels here and there. I just finished A New Life again late last night and left off there. It's still a great game if not a little janky since I'm a little used to streamlined controls in most games now.

It's because he's the hero NeoGAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll attack him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a faithful customer, a legacy protector. A True Fan.

wee-bey-oh-shit.gif

Purist mode is ridiculous. For anyone hoping it would somehow turn this game into a normal Hitman game let me tell you it doesn't. not at all.

Playing King of Chinatown I'm just walking around in the crowd and I must've stepped into a trespassing area and instantly the fake surrender thing comes up (which basically means you restart or die in a shootout).

Easiest mission to do on Purist for Silent Assassin, especially if you're going the fugu fish route. Keep attention to the sound of getting spotted, then turn on Instinct.

King of Chinatown Purist Silent Assassin walkthrough

Derrick01

Banned
Well, after getting up to RFYL I'm thinking of getting blood money from GMG. Good idea? Playing Absolution is like being suffocated.

It's never a bad idea to buy Blood Money whether you're coming from Absolution or not. It's still a pretty decent looking game too which is impressive considering its age.

Top Bottom