• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

rvy

Banned
I'm not sure I get what you mean by better game. Do you mean things like serviceable controls, something the series always kind of lacked?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I mean. Everything feels tight and responsive this time around. Not just controls, but also cross-hairs and so forth. In Blood Money you needed to use 1st person to aim properly, for example.
You could also abuse the AI getting stuck into the "I warned you to GTFO" animation. No more.

The very start of the first area? There's a keycard
hidden between some boxes. It's around the area where a guard's standing by himself, in the area behind the trailer and the generator.

I was trying to sneak up on him and found the card by accident

Cool, will try.

RevDM

Banned
Yeah, I've never heard of the engine powering the game (Glacier2?), but the game looks and performs really well. Granted, small environments and all that, but wow. One of the best looking games I've ever played. Must be the super powerful and flexible CPUs in all next-gen consoles.

It was developed for Absolution

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm only on the king of chinatown mission but I dressed as the drug dealer guy (there's only 1 of him so I thought that was my best chance) and my disguise was blown by a chef because I was stood in the wrong area in the street. I think it was for trespassing but he said something like "that disguise isn't fooling anyone" and I couldn't find the right part to stand on before he told a cop. frustrating.

I did like the prologue though. I found
some sleeping pills and mixed it with the coffee and food
to get both the things I needed.

It's not really as atrocious as Conviction. It's more like if Conviction wasn't a TOTAL betrayal of series fans and wasn't the video game equivalent of the Hindenburg. That is, still clearly divergent from what people liked about the series and still insultingly dumbed down, but better designed, with great production values, and some glimpses of yesteryear.

But I just don't think this really is Chaos Theory 2. That's...you know, strong.

The game isn't, I think, a bad game. But this is such a meaningless phrase these days. So little gets pumped out that is well and truly bad. Everything is underwhelming or disappointing and this pretty much fits snuggly into that category of sadness for me.

Why is this game "dumbed down" when it's brutally difficult and bordering on unfair with its stealth while Blood Money was an absolute joke.

Double D

Finished it last night and really loved it. It wasn't the Hitman game I wanted (although I think I may find that once I dig into Contracts mode), but I had a blast anyways. And for all the bashing the story got I enjoyed it quite a bit. Maybe not the overall plot, but the way it was all intertwined was pretty neat.

Grisby

1) The problem exists on both PS3 and XBOX, the game freezes, forcing you to reset your console and your save is wiped.
XBOX thread: http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/57276-xbox-360-wipedcorrupted-save-file-twice-now-help/
PS3 thread: http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/57229-wiped-savegame-ps3/
On the PS3, you can only backup your save game with PS+ cloud saving (I was wrong about this, please ignore). Not sure about 360.
PS3 wins visually compared to 360, according to Digital Foundry.

2) I would suggest Normal if it's your first Hitman game, you can have fun with the new mechanics without too much restriction and frustration. The game is meant to be replayed anyway with different routes and alternative approaches, you can change the difficulty setting whenever you like.

What platform are you on? Happened to me on the PS3 as well. I think I'll wait until there's a patch or until they decide to let us backup our saves onto a flash drive.
Thanks man, gonna make a good full member.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why is this game "dumbed down" when it's brutally difficult and bordering on unfair with its stealth while Blood Money was an absolute joke.

I don't give games credit for being broken on their harder difficulties. Game mechanics not being deep enough and systems not being robust enough to support harder difficulties are examples of too much streamlining, not the opposite.

This game is broken without some of the new, AfT mechanics. No one seems to dispute this; moreover, you're being too kind to the game by calling it "brutally difficult"/"bordering on unfair." This is not a good thing.

edit: I'm assuming you are referring to higher difficulties since the base difficulties are embarrassing.

Yeah I got the notion that it's a better made stealth game than Conviction, which is nice in its own way I suppose, but when it comes at the expense of what makes Hitman special then does any of that really matter? I guess that's up to each person. To me it obviously doesn't. I would kill for Blacklist to be how this is but with not as many dumbed down elements. If anything it seems like Blacklist will outdo this and even Conviction on the bullshit scale.

I'll give this game one thing though it does look amazing on PC and even on consoles. But again it seems like this push for insane graphics came at the expense of the gameplay. They mentioned that these consoles held them back from making bigger levels, so why not tone down the graphics a hair? It's the completely wrong focus to have when making a Hitman game. At the very least it proves the difference between a game on consoles (like Deus Ex 1, Morrowind and even all of the past Hitman games) and a game made for consoles.

I don't. If anything these people caught up to what I had been warning everyone about for roughly a year now. I don't say that to brag, just that I've had enough franchises ruined for me that I can see the signs a mile away now and IO was making sure they posted every sign possible before release.

I'm not sure I get what you mean by better game. Do you mean things like serviceable controls, something the series always kind of lacked?

I'll admit, you were right about it not being Hitman enough.

But I think you should give it a shot down the line. Cause while it's not Blood Money 2, I think it's a great game in its own right. Yeah, it uses the Hitman IP, but I'm okay with that, because it turned out to be a really good game. But if you don't... I now understand.

But I'm really in love with this game, I gotta admit.

Fuck, I'd love to see Kane & Lynch 3 running on this engine. We could finally get the fully realized Collateral club scene we deserve (though KL: Dead Men tried). The crowds are spectacular and environments look fantastic. Running a KL-heist action game on this would be sublime (especially if they carried over some of the Dog Days style). Plus, I really love the characters, as horrific as they are.

Zeliard

I took the plunge. Benefit of knowing pretty much exactly what to expect as far as changes to the Hitman formula is that the game can't possibly disappoint me. :> Just leaves room to be pleasantly surprised.

I don't give games credit for being broken on their harder difficulties. Game mechanics not being deep enough and systems not being robust enough to support harder difficulties are examples of too much streamlining, not the opposite.

This game is broken without some of the new, AfT mechanics. No one seems to dispute this; moreover, you're being too kind to the game by calling it "brutally difficult"/"bordering on unfair." This is not a good thing.

edit: I'm assuming you are referring to higher difficulties since the base difficulties are embarrassing.

Expert's pretty broken since instinct drains way too fast but Hard is quite manageable on replays of levels. Consequently, if this game goes to the extreme in one direction then what does it say about Blood Money when I can just throw my infinite supply of coins on every level and moonwalk to Silent Assassin ratings? Normal in Absolution is tougher than Pro in Blood Money.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
LOL

hitmandeusex530.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/20/hitman-absolution-dlc-has-agent-47-inspired-by-deus-ex-human-r/

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Expert's pretty broken since instinct drains way too fast but Hard is quite manageable on replays of levels. Consequently, if this game goes to the extreme in one direction then what does it say about Blood Money when I can just throw my infinite supply of coins on every level and moonwalk to Silent Assassin ratings? Normal in Absolution is tougher than Pro in Blood Money.

Well, whatever you like. I think the games are difficult in different ways. This is not the way I wanted.

^^^ I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS

Well, whatever you like. I think the games are difficult in different ways. This is not the way I wanted.

^^^ I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS

I get that Absolution is not a so-called proper Hitman game but I don't see it as a dumbed down experience; nevermind "insultingly" dumbed down. The scope of the game is different but I feel it's executed much more confidently than past games.

So is Expert actually fucked up? Because that's what I was planning on starting with.

Yes, instinct drains absurdly fast.

Normal is a fine experience if you tweak instinct not to give you hints or see enemies. Hard's fine too but it'll test you on your first run through the levels.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Has it been confirmed that not all levels can achieve Silent Assassin ratings? I've done Terminus now with not being spotted in Suit Only and collected both evidence yet all I ever get is Shadow. :-\

I think there are multiple Eidos Montreal teams. So I wouldn't worry about a Deus Ex sequel being put on the back burner for Hitman.

IO and Square Enix Montreal to tag team the series like Infinity Ward and Treyarch. Hitman to become an annual franchise next generation evidently.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...lit-over-two-teams-like-call-of-duty-dev-says

If it turns out as awesome as Absolution, I'm cool with that. I'm not against (Near) Annualization as long as the end product is good. So this is alright in my book. And we might get Kane & Lynch 3 on Glacier 2!

derFeef

IO and Square Enix Montreal to tag team the series like Infinity Ward and Treyarch. Hitman to become an annual franchise next generation evidently.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...lit-over-two-teams-like-call-of-duty-dev-says

That was known for some months actually. Not sure I like it.
Although will look forward to what IO does next.

This is crazy. Square Enix Montreal should focus on one game and one game alone: Deus Ex sequel.

Thief more likely, or who is doing this?

That was known for some months actually. Not sure I like it.
Although will look forward to what IO does next.

Thief more likely, or who is doing this?

I bet Nirolak would know, but I believe Eidos Montreal is doing Thief 4, Deus Ex Sequel, and now Hitman. They have multiple teams. I read that somewhere.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Daww, it's like they love you Derrick! (Glad to see you back)

So is Expert actually fucked up? Because that's what I was planning on starting with.

Absolutely. I gave up in the same place as Messofanego, at the start of Hunter and Hunted. I'm a paitent man, but after the bullshit of trying to do expert (suit run also complicated things somewhat) on Run For Your Life I just about gave up. Bumped it down to normal, I don't give a fuck anymore. I'll worry about actual challenges when I do Contracts mode instead.

Derrick01

Banned

This is an idiotic move on a supreme scale. One I would expect from someone like Square Enix. If you need more proof the series is done for for good then here it is.

Also SE Montreal and Eidos Montreal are 2 different studios I think.

MormaPope

Banned
This is an idiotic move on a supreme scale. One I would expect from someone like Square Enix.

Also SE Montreal and Eidos Montreal are 2 different studios I think.

How?

And if you don't like the direction Absolution is putting the Hitman series in, it sorta seems counter productive to hope the next Hitman is what you wanted along while bashing how they could potentially reach that point.

Also you looming around this OT saying "I don't mean to brag but I knew this what was going to happen for a year, the series is dead but maybe someday I'll play it to see how bad it is." is sure going to be fun.

Derrick01

Banned
How?

And if you don't like the direction Absolution is putting the Hitman series in, it sorta seems counter productive to hope the next Hitman is what you wanted along while bashing how they could potentially reach that point.

I don't really have to explain why whoring the franchise out yearly is a bad idea do I?

Zeliard

Yes, instinct drains absurdly fast.

Normal is a fine experience if you tweak instinct not to give you hints or see enemies. Hard's fine too but it'll test you on your first run through the levels.

Absolutely. I gave up in the same place as Messofanego, at the start of Hunter and Hunted. I'm a paitent man, but after the bullshit of trying to do expert (suit run also complicated things somewhat) on Run For Your Life I just about gave up. Bumped it down to normal, I don't give a fuck anymore. I'll worry about actual challenges when I do Contracts mode instead.

Think I'll start on Hard and just turn it up to Expert once I get the hang of how the disguise system now works with instinct and such, and turn it back down to Hard if Expert is just idiotic and broken. If difficulty can be changed after starting then it isn't as big a deal.

Derrick01

Banned
Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed are both annualized, and the end products have been ultimately pretty good (my frustration/anger at AC3's modern day segments asides).

Those two franchises are prime examples of why this shouldn't happen. Two ultra casual franchises that have no regard for balance on the MP side or quality design decisions on the SP side. AC3 is probably the biggest mess and disaster of a AAA game that I've ever played. And I'm not even factoring in franchise fatigue.

Has it been confirmed that not all levels can achieve Silent Assassin ratings? I've done Terminus now with not being spotted in Suit Only and collected both evidence yet all I ever get is Shadow. :-\

Did you do all the challenges? They bump up your score. Also, what difficulty level are you playing on? It also effects your score.

Those two franchises are prime examples of why this shouldn't happen. Two ultra casual franchises that have no regard for balance on the MP side or quality design decisions on the SP side. AC3 is probably the biggest mess and disaster of a AAA game that I've ever played. And I'm not even factoring in franchise fatigue.

I don't play MP on either franchise, but for the most part, the SP in both franchises have been fine to me. AC3 has its issues, but I've found it mostly fun and solid. ACB and ACR were both great. I'm not a fan of the MW series, but I dig WaW, Black Ops and BO2.

You might be right about franchise fatigue, I'll admit. That said, for me, as long as the end products are fun games, I'm okay with it.

vidcons

Banned
Morrowind was the beginning of the end of the Elder Scrolls series. The loss of randomly generated dungeons and quests was crucial to the franchise.

Or, god man, do I need to even mention when Final Fantasy went multiplatform? Or the Souls series? Those franchises were defined by their platform.

What a day we live in, where a franchise is run into the ground. *shrugs, slumps in chair, pees in bottle*

vidcons

Banned
My buddy Ted handed me a slice of pizza with a bunch of veggies on it. He said it was degreased and the vegetables came from an organic farm outside of town.

Then he dropped the bomb shell, it was from Papa Johns.

Left that pizza in the trash can along with Ted's friendship. I will not assist in their destruction of a beloved American Franchise.

njr

Just started playing on PC. I have to say I feel disheartened because of what this series has become. I was never a big fan of splinter cell and was expecting a lot of hiding in plain sight rather than hiding. To say this game betrays the Hitman series is a stretch, but my only exception to that is the story, which is atrocious garbage. On top of that, I can't find a difficulty that's right for me. I'm playing on hard, hiding in plain sight is a no go, so I won't even bother with higher difficulties. Normal seems to be too easy, but there's no difficulty that's similar to what they had in Contracts.

Is it possible to complete Suit Man on Hard in Hunter or Hunted?
I made it to the
grocery store where you can set off the fireworks, I slipped out of the store during the fire alarm but there are these two chefs standing right in the middle of the hallway, I can't get past them without alerting them. I watched a YouTube video guide but those chefs don't even exist in the video, the guy must be playing on Easy/Normal.

justjim89

For those playing on PC, I just made 2 contracts to try out. One is named Occupational Hazard and takes place in the gun shop, and the other is called New Girl and The Boss at the Vixen Club. My Steam name is justjim89.

I'm sure they're not terribly challenging, but I just figured I'd share.

My buddy Ted handed me a slice of pizza with a bunch of veggies on it. He said it was degreased and the vegetables came from an organic farm outside of town.

Then he dropped the bomb shell, it was from Papa Johns.

Left that pizza in the trash can along with my Ted's friendship. I will not assist in their destruction of a beloved American Franchise.

Wrong thread or a stunning piece of commentary?

Top Bottom