• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Salsa

I got this a lot when I started playing. Turned off MSAA and haven't had a single crash since.

did this, so far so good

but man those jaggies D:

played up to the mission after Chinatown, having played Chinatown in two differents way so far (immediatly restarted after being succesful once)

im having fun

justjim89

In some more encouraging news, Nick at IO Interactive said the following in a petition about changing the disguise system.

We are currently looking at how to tweak the detection system with disguises.

Could be good news.

richi_one

No more Sniper Challenge codes left at the store, but we did have extra pre-order bonus "Kazo TRG" sniper rifle codes.

PM me for it. :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I really don't understand this game.

- It's not trying to be a hitman game
- It's not trying to be a traditional stealth game
- It's not trying to be a shooter

I... I don't know what I'm playing other then to call it a disjointed mess.

Really enjoying the game. I got 162,000 points in Chinese New Year mission (the last sub-mission in Run For Your Life), which was by far the highest score I've ever got. Two of the kills were signature and I also got the silent assassin. Felt like a badass. Really cool mission and environment with the hundreds of NPCs and being able to blend in the crowd.

KAP151

I just lost my entire campaign file due to a save freeze/corruption.

A warning to others - backup your files. I lost a shit load of work.

All I have now is my contracts stuff. All the campaign is gone.

Lots of other reporting the same on the Hitman boards. If your game hard freezes while auto saving... chances are its goodbye file =(

Pissed off big time.

Lots of other reporting the same on the Hitman boards. If your game hard freezes while auto saving... chances are its goodbye file =(

Pissed off big time.

Which version?
Sorry to hear that

Pissed off big time.

How exactly is this happening? On PS3 as well? Kinda makes me nervous. Never had to backup a save file, haha.

KAP151

Mine was on 360, but its happening on PS3 as well.

"Sadly this doesn't seem to be an isolated case. Square Enix got back to one user who complained of the issue telling them that "if a save is corrupt, there will be no way to recover your current progress". They advised to "try clearing the game data utility before starting the game again" in order to "avoid such occurrences in the future".

How about IO admits they didnt fucking test the game properly....

MormaPope

Banned
I honestly don't think 47's ever been more... badass than in Absolution. Bateson's voice is god damn amazing.

He's at full badass in Absolution. Replay King Of Chinatown and do the contextual melee attack to every civilian in the mob, beating down 30 dudes is very satisfying.

Does 47 still do that thing where he'll hold his gun behind his back if you're armed in front of people? I always thought that was pretty cool in Blood Money.

Salsa

ibu5Iqq6rsL7Ms.jpg

im totes hiding you guys

I really hope they lose the level segmentation in the next game. Nobody wants to go from point A to point B in a Hitman game. I'm rarely this conflicted over a game. It does a lot of things well, but I never asked for this.

Derrick01

Banned
I really hope they lose the level segmentation in the next game. Nobody wants to go from point A to point B in a Hitman game. I'm rarely this conflicted over a game. It does a lot of things well, but I never asked for this.

Well the next one will be next gen so who knows what can happen with the increased RAM and other specs. At the very least they won't have the blame consoles excuse.

Derrick01

Banned
So, if this whole game would the same but with big sandbox levels, it would be a "true Hitman" to some of you?

Needs to be a little more than that. Reduced focus on story, disguise system fix, and the near total elimination of the hunted type stuff where you're basically playing splinter cell. I don't mind if that's tossed in there briefly in one spot to mix things up.

Even with all that it's not guaranteed to be a good game of course. Still have to make great, memorable sprawling levels with many clever solutions.

Foffy

Banned
So, if this whole game would the same but with big sandbox levels, it would be a "true Hitman" to some of you?

Not with the disguise system they have in place, no. I personally think that's THE detractor from making this a Hitman experience. I can appreciate linear levels in Hitman (Silent Assassin has a number of these, which is still my favorite game in the series), as long as they play focusing on social stealth, not Sam-Fisher-sneak-and-take-cover-stealth. I hope the patch addresses this. It's come to my attention that on Hitmanforum, disguises were supposed to be like they were in older games (in the orphanage level, you could interact with fellow guards with no issue, and there were even parts where you had conversations with them to stay in character) but this was strangely changed.

Salsa

honestly this pretty much feels like a Hitman game so far

not the best one, and certainly one that tries to shake things up and is more character driven/cinematic. But there's many moments where I just go "yup that's hitman"

going through a level where you're disguised as a cop and enter a home full of hippies, where everyone can spot you except the guy who is smoking from a bong (you can just pass in front of them and he goes "woahh" or something), that's reminescent of the old games in the sense of tone, humor, scenarios, etc.

only difference is that in that particular situation you're escaping rather than killing a target, so yeah.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
I hope that IO patches the detection range when in disguises. It is too finicky now and makes disguises much less useful than they should be in a Hitman game. Unlike the checkpoint issue, that seems like it could be easily fixed.

If they can nail that down, then I'll be satisfied. I never liked leaning on disguises as much as I had to in the previous games, but I would still like it to be a useful tactic in this one.

I appreciate the focus on actively moving for stealth rather than the "social" stealth that past Hitman games leaned on too heavily, which mostly consisted of finding the right disguise and not running. I like that the evasion is more involved this time around.

Everything related to the audiovisual experience is uniformly amazing. Io has really done a great job, through texturework, environment design, and NPC dialog, in making each level feel lived in and full of personality that most games never get close to, especially past Hitman games. I'm really impressed on this front.

I'm still torn on Instinct as a vital gameplay mechanic. I'm playing on Hard, so it doesn't recharge automatically, and as a result I'm probably being too conservative with using it. The point shooting mechanic is the best of those types of mechanics that I have seen, despite it not being necessary to complete the game. I'm not a fan of Instinct for getting past guards as it is pretty silly, but then again, the past games were pretty silly in those situations too with a large bald man with a barcode on his head (I love that barcode gets addressed this time) that fits the description of a known assassin casually strolling by, so I can't get too annoyed at it. Of course, that hasn't stopped many posters in here from going nuts about how it ruins Hitman...

Every Hitman game has had large flaws, and this one is no different. It is just that the flaws are in different places than they were in the past games. It's definitely still a Hitman game, just done pretty differently. I can see how some people would say it is the worst Hitman game ever and how some would say it is the best Hitman game ever, even though I currently disagree with the latter.

I'm going to take a break on this one and wait for a patch or two. Hopefully by then we can get a good balanced discussion of the game going. Right now, the only people giving valid criticisms of this game in the past few pages are Jintor and EatChildren. The discussion is closer to reality than where it was at the beginning of the thread for sure. Hopefully after a couple of weeks, a couple patches, and a couple of haters leaving after getting tired of being so angry, we'll get there.

This is a divisive and interesting game for sure, and it deserves a better level of discussion than it has been receiving on this board.

MJLord

I don't think the disguise system is broken, It just isn't suited for the levels the game throws at you. For example,
The level where you're running from the cops, that level I'm pretty sure has ONLY cops in so its almost as if you don't even have a disguise.
However think about the level in Blood Money where you infiltrate the Christmas party, loads of different disguises there to get you past the guards at certain checkpoints. Like a party goer in the elevator at the beginning.

Thats my thought.

derFeef

Needs to be a little more than that. Reduced focus on story, disguise system fix, and the near total elimination of the hunted type stuff where you're basically playing splinter cell. I don't mind if that's tossed in there briefly in one spot to mix things up.

Even with all that it's not guaranteed to be a good game of course. Still have to make great, memorable sprawling levels with many clever solutions.

I wish I could acknowledge your opinion, but it makes it hard for me because you have not played it actually. I know you will not alter your opnion, but I think you would go easier on some of the points after having played the game.

Yeah, the disguise system is the game's biggest flaw. Shouldn't they help you? Instead, they only make the game harder. It doesn't make sense as a game mechanic, nor does it fit "reality".

It's cool, we all know you want to play BM in shiny HD graphics till the end of the world.

I'm still torn on Instinct as a vital gameplay mechanic. I'm playing on Hard, so it doesn't recharge automatically, and as a result I'm probably being too conservative with using it. The point shooting mechanic is the best of those types of mechanics that I have seen, despite it not being necessary to complete the game. I'm not a fan of Instinct for getting past guards as it is pretty silly, but then again, the past games were pretty silly in those situations too with a large bald man with a barcode on his head (I love that barcode gets addressed this time) that fits the description of a known assassin casually strolling by, so I can't get too annoyed at it. Of course, that hasn't stopped many posters in here from going nuts about how it ruins Hitman...

Just do Hitman-like things and your Instinct fills right up quick. Silent subdue/kill, changing to a costume, accident kills, getting safely to a new area. I wouldn't want it to recharge automatically, that'd feel too easy.

Derrick01

Banned
I wish I could acknowledge your opinion, but it makes it hard for me because you have not played it actually. I know you will not alter your opnion, but I think you would go easier on some of the points after having played the game.

I don't see why it's so hard to acknowledge my opinion especially when there's a lot of people who are saying similar things. The notion that it's impossible to know anything about a game unless you play all of it is one of the worst myths in this industry.

It's cool, we all know you want to play BM in shiny HD graphics till the end of the world.

Technically I was doing that the other day :p

I don't think they need to reduce the focus on story - this is at least one area that Absolution is far superior to the previous games. What they do need to do though is craft a story that will cater to more traditional open-ended Hitman levels.

Praise black friday hopefully I get the game delievered before next weekend. I played all other titles and read through most of the comments here especially about the disguise "issues". I just wonder do you have to either always sneak or be in a disguise or can you walk freely around in the streets or a hotel lobby as long as you don't pass into a certain territory with guards, cops, ... ?

Jintor

I don't think the disguise system is broken, It just isn't suited for the levels the game throws at you. For example,
The level where you're running from the cops, that level I'm pretty sure has ONLY cops in so its almost as if you don't even have a disguise.
However think about the level in Blood Money where you infiltrate the Christmas party, loads of different disguises there to get you past the guards at certain checkpoints. Like a party goer in the elevator at the beginning.

Thats my thought.

Yeah, the designs just aren't built to properly accomodate the way disguise recognition works. It's either impossible to get through in the only disguise available, or there's a single 'killer disguise' that works 100% on everybody, nearly no exceptions.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't think they need to reduce the focus on story - this is at least one area that Absolution is far superior to the previous games. What they do need to do though is craft a story that will cater to more traditional open-ended Hitman levels.

I don't mind if they can make a story that isn't a joke as long as it doesn't come at the cost of gameplay like it did in this one. That's when the priorities of game development become warped. Honestly I don't need a story at all for a hitman game to be great. I've said it in the past and I'll say it again even as I'm currently going through Blood Money again, I still can't tell you what the story is in the game. As far as I know I'm just going through and killing these guys just because someone wants them dead and that's good enough of a reason for me.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. IO has gotten really good at making characters/places that just make you feel....dirty...after playing. Between the 2 Kane and Lynch games (which I loved, flaws and all) and now Absolution, I really appreciate that they're making games/stories where the protagonists aren't paragons of virtue, but are flawed and sometimes outright despicable people.

47 was a lot more despicable in Blood Money.

Is it just me or does 47 always hold his gun... sideways when it's at his side?

It's how he held it in some artwork from Blood Money. Looks cool.

Hitman_Blood_Money_by_Oh_Blue_Eyes.jpg

This reminds, the old gloves suited 47 better. The new ones look more like biker gloves.

I don't see why it's so hard to acknowledge my opinion especially when there's a lot of people who are saying similar things. The notion that it's impossible to know anything about a game unless you play all of it is one of the worst myths in this industry.

Technically I was doing that the other day :p

There's no substantial credibility when you use the perception of others, their opinions and expectations to form yours. Especially when you try to act like your opinion is so coveted. You want your opinion to have some weight? Then go form one for yourself and stop relying on the impressions of others completely. If you still hate it so much, at least some semblance of a critic will come forward.

Right now all that I'm getting from your criticism is you refuse to play the game as you don't mind being spoken for. You had an excuse pre-release.

Even RevDM and MMarsu gave it a chance in some sense.

Top Bottom