• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Please explore before you say stuff like this...there is no forced QTE segment here. You playing in linearly does not mean the game is linear, you didn't look around the area at all. I fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

when I got to that point I was so bored with the game I just started stabbing people so maybe that's where I went wrong.

As for exploring, the disguise system is such piece of crap that I don't want to. It's killed what I liked about the Hitman games and I take no joy in using cover to hide from people.

I'll probably just burn through the rest of the game now and forget about it. It's clearly not the game I was expecting (or wanted). Some people like it and that's great, but it's not for me.

MormaPope

Banned
Thinking about it, I'm really impartial to this Hitman not being like Blood Money or past Hitman's because there really aren't stealth games being made that are like old Metal Gear Solids or Splinter Cells anymore.

The stealth genre has evolved in a way that sort of left trial and error and difficulty behind in favor of accessibility and freedom to the point that most modern stealth games are way too easy. Hitman is undergoing a transformation that feels refreshing in the current videogame landscape.

Please explore before you say stuff like this...there is no forced QTE segment here. You playing in linearly does not mean the game is linear, you didn't look around the area at all. I fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

But why should we be forced to play this crazy game of hide and seek, as if every single one of the goons in the orphanage can recognise - through a mask no less - that I am not who I am pretending to be? I don't play this game like Metal Gear Solid, I play it like Blood Money, and if (when!) that fails, I play it like when I get caught in Blood Money, i.e. all guns blazing.

derFeef

You know whats really going on my nerves in this game? Keyprompt overlays. It ALWAYS defers to the item and not the action, and it can be a pain in the ass if you need to act quick and there happen to be an item up close. ARGH!

QFWEl.png

IO says "fuck you" over concerns about the save/checkpoint system

Within 5 mins of using the system I got where they came from. It is very clever, I don't see what is wring with it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You could knock out people all over the place, and accident kill guards to still get SA rank in blood money. So it's not really in contradiction at all.
But in Blood Money you didn't need to do all that, and it was better if you didn't
(disclaimer: I'm a terrible player so I couldn't get SA in any single mission)
. In Absolution you need to kill to recharge instinct, and if you don't want to play hide and seek you're going to need it a lot.

You know whats really going on my nerves in this game? Keyprompt overlays. It ALWAYS defers to the item and not the action, and it can be a pain in the ass if you need to act quick and there happen to be an item up close. ARGH!

Had an issue like this earlier that drove me nuts, it would be nice if they could clean this up a little with a patch at some point. During Attack of the saints
worked my way around the level to poison the nun's coffee. Unfortunately I happened to be carrying an iron or something, and right beside the coffee cup was a knife or something I guess, and despite trying as hard as possible, moving myself and the camera around, when doing the Y prompt to put the poison in, he just kept swapping which item he was holding, and because the item kept landing right below the coffee cup, couldn't get it to do the poison two times, and third I took so long trying I got spotted.
I guess I could have just accepted it, but I wanted no alerts so had to restart - and I hadn't used the checkpoint yet haha.

Yes, Jesper Kyd is seriously missed.

Agreed. The new soundtrack feels... borderline non-existent, unless this is a bug. Most of the time it's quite quiet or its some odd ambient music. In any case, I don't really notice the music too much (asides from the neat main menu music).

justjim89

I never really noticed the soundtrack as anything remarkable in Hitman games before. It's such a minor factor compared to everything else. I'm sure they're perfectly good songs but I really couldn't care less. The soundtrack in this game has struck me as just as serviceable as any past ones.

I just beat Shaving Lenny finally. That felt like a Hitman mission, and I think I'll be replaying it a lot. Lots of kill methods, absurd accidents, great environments, and entertaining NPC banter. Of course, the icing on the cake was
unloading a full clip of an assault rifle into Lenny's back as he begged me not to kill him.

I never really noticed the soundtrack as anything remarkable in Hitman games before. It's such a minor factor compared to everything else. I'm sure they're perfectly good songs but I really couldn't care less. The soundtrack in this game has struck me as just as serviceable as any past ones.

I just beat Shaving Lenny finally. That felt like a Hitman mission, and I think I'll be replaying it a lot. Lots of kill methods, absurd accidents, great environments, and entertaining NPC banter. Of course, the icing on the cake was
unloading a full clip of an assault rifle into Lenny's back as he begged me not to kill him.

Kyd's soundtracks were great. So dark and dramatic. I was hoping this one would be just as good. Some dark stuff inspired by classic Americana. Maybe more electronic-geared, I dunno.

And
you should have left him in the desert to rot. Very funny.

Ciastek3214

You are deaf, fact.

R1CHO

I just finished it, according to the stats 18h 30min, a mix of stealth and brutality on my gameplay.

I really enjoy the campaign, i think that not only is a good game, but also a good Hitman game.

I am ready for the dlc, if they have plans for more single player missions.

rvy

Banned

I disagree, Kyd is amazing. The previous soundtracks were all beautiful. If there's one thing that Hitman has done better than everyone else, it was the soundtrack.
The new soundtrack isn't bad, but it's forgettable. I don't see myself looking for tracks on YouTube. On the other hand, I can listen to White Room for hours.

If this is not remarkable for you then you are in fact deaf.

Another example of how Kyd is amazing.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm one of the last people who give any shits about 99.9% of video game music, it serves as background noise for me usually, but Kyd's work is usually one of the rare exceptions where it sticks out and becomes memorable to me. If he's not on this game at all then that's immensely disappointing.

Ciastek3214

I'm one of the last people who give any shits about 99.9% of video game music, it serves as background noise for me usually, but Kyd's work is usually one of the rare exceptions where it sticks out and becomes memorable to me. If he's not on this game at all then that's immensely disappointing.

He's not.

It's perfectly adequate background music, but it's not anything I'd actively seek out and listen to. It's fine. And I notice even less when I'm actually playing a game. As I said, unremarkable to me.

Never cease to amaze me, GAF.

justjim89

Never cease to amaze me, GAF.

How dare I not bow on my knees in submissive awe at the majesty and beauty of the incomparable Jesper Kyd! What a shaved ape I must be! I shall immediately strip off my clothing, run through the streets, and throw my feces at any unfortunate passerby! Because if I cannot appreciate JESPER KYD, can I really call myself a man? A human being? Alive?

Oh, loathsome existence! Oh, sick, twisted God in Heaven! Why, dare I ask, WHY was I born without the ability to recognize the unparalleled genius of one Jesper Kyd?

Come now, dagger! Enter my heart! Without a full appreciation and love for Jesper Kyd, the beating in my chest carries no meaning! Goodbye, cruel world! Goodbye, Jesper Kyd!

And .... scene.

Ciastek3214

How dare I not bow on my knees in submissive awe at the majesty and beauty of the incomparable Jesper Kyd! What a shaved ape I must be! I shall immediately strip off my clothing, run through the streets, and throw my feces at any unfortunate passerby! Because if I cannot appreciate JESPER KYD, can I really call myself a man? A human being? Alive?

Oh, loathsome existence! Oh, sick, twisted God in Heaven! Why, dare I ask, WHY was I born without the ability to recognize the unparalleled genius of one Jesper Kyd?

Come now, dagger! Enter my heart! Without a full appreciation and love for Jesper Kyd, the beating in my chest carries no meaning! Goodbye, cruel world! Goodbye, Jesper Kyd!

And .... scene.

Pretty much this. Thank you, saved me the trouble.

I think no Kyd is the only aspect of this game that actually disappoints me. The music is alright, but it feels like they played it safe with the music this time.

It's perfectly adequate background music, but it's not anything I'd actively seek out and listen to. It's fine. And I notice even less when I'm actually playing a game. As I said, unremarkable to me.

This is one point I gotta agree with Derrick. I love Absolution, but they played it safe with the music. Great music helps elevate a game and the mood (see Uncharted, Dead Space, RDR).

Kinda wish Absolution went for the 80s crime film vibe in terms of soundtrack as we saw on the Cinema Trailer. That would have been fantastic. I don't mind switching composers, I've no problem, but there's not too much outstanding about Absolution's soundtrack thus far (though the menu music is quite good, like I said).

Salsa

currently at chinese new year

unless they COMPLETELY FUCK IT UP towards the end here; this is a good game

my expectations where shit and so far im having fun. There was a couple of levels that were frustrating in the sense that I wanted to get them over with as fast as possible cause it felt like a kinda-bad stealth game, but the high points of the game are damn high.

Xander51

The production values here are nuts. I'm enjoying the graphics and the sound design so much that I keep giggling like an idiot.

Yes it's different from the other Hitman games, but they did make four of those, and it has been six years since Blood Money. I enjoy that they tried some different things here, and this is more smooth and playable than anything the old games could ever muster.

Salsa

That's true. It feels like a less open Blood Money, but it being a bit (sometimes barely) more linear gives them the chance to pretty much refine every aspect to ridiculous lenghts. Feels really good to play.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
LOL'd at
the cake
in Death Factory. Surprise, motherfucker.

But why should we be forced to play this crazy game of hide and seek, as if every single one of the goons in the orphanage can recognise - through a mask no less - that I am not who I am pretending to be? I don't play this game like Metal Gear Solid, I play it like Blood Money, and if (when!) that fails, I play it like when I get caught in Blood Money, i.e. all guns blazing.

I was specifically referring to his mention of a forced QTE for the target, which isn't true. For the level itself, I can see why people don't like that stuff but I find it to be fun. The orphanage was actually helpful with a disguise for 2 of the fuses when I did it, but it is definitly not like it used to be. They wanted to have levels like that and RFYL and those wouldn't work with BM's disguise system. If you dislike those levels then I can certainly understand why you don't like the change, but I like the hybrid they have going. Disguises have still been very useful to me on other levels.

Dexter's Industries, though, god damn. Level is brutal and felt like it was hurt by the radius of detection more than other levels. Least favorite so far.

derFeef

Shotgun, so good to let off some steam.
Overlapping button prompts can suck it, though.

currently at chinese new year

unless they COMPLETELY FUCK IT UP towards the end here; this is a good game

my expectations where shit and so far im having fun. There was a couple of levels that were frustrating in the sense that I wanted to get them over with as fast as possible cause it felt like a kinda-bad stealth game, but the high points of the game are damn high.

Glad you enjoy it, I think it's a really good game with some issues that can be fixed with a patch and make it an excellent game.

Papercuts

But in Blood Money you didn't need to do all that, and it was better if you didn't
(disclaimer: I'm a terrible player so I couldn't get SA in any single mission)
. In Absolution you need to kill to recharge instinct, and if you don't want to play hide and seek you're going to need it a lot.

Subdue doesn't kill. Subdue and hide is not bad, and Blood Money let you do this infinity with human shields while maintaining SA rank.

And .... scene.

applausemwx8f.gif

Game still rocks. I just miss some of the musical personality.

Hopefully it'll pick up.

But I'm not the only who has noticed that the music is really... really quiet, right?

Great, on PS3, just lost my save. Only got to Terminus. If this happens often, this is going to be bad.

EDIT: Locking my ps3 up everytime I created a save data. I'll wait for patch and just play Allstars for now.

derFeef

Hmm have not noticed the music being too quite. It certainly kicks in at the right moments imho. It's okay, too "movie-like" maybe, but pretty badass.

Xander51

Hmm have not noticed the music being too quite. It certainly kicks in at the right moments imho. It's okay, too "movie-like" maybe, but pretty badass.

Yeah the music is really dynamic and cool, love the way it fits to what's going on on-screen.

I'm currently on Dexter Industries and I've been playing on Purist so far. I've only gotten Silent Assassin on the sandbox levels like KOCT and Street of Hope. All of the stealth missions I always find myself in shootouts or finding myself silencing witnesses with screwdrivers or something, so I can avoid using the awful QTE system. Less than half a second to react to button prompts is never fun, and often always leads to death. 47 should've learned to use the fighting systems from Batman or Assassin's Creed.

Papercuts

The music picks up a lot when your cover gets blown, and I had some nice chanting while I was under suspicion and dragging a body which was nice. Still nothing on Kyd's level to me which is a shame.

I'm currently on Dexter Industries and I've been playing on Purist so far. I've only gotten Silent Assassin on the sandbox levels like KOCT and Street of Hope. All of the stealth missions I always find myself in shootouts or finding myself silencing witnesses with screwdrivers or something, so I can avoid using the awful QTE system. Less than half a second to react to button prompts is never fun, and often always leads to death. 47 should've learned to use the fighting systems from Batman or Assassin's Creed.

I don't mind the fighting system being so lame because aping off of Batman/AC would just encourage it. You never have to get in a fist fight, though on Purist that stuff will be hard to avoid without knowing layouts.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
As much as it pains me to admit it, this game is really disappointing. I was hoping Derrick's negativity pre-release would turn out to be misguided, but it wasn't. There's no point playing it stealthily, I could only complete Terminus by shooting my way through.

I fail to see how it is possible to NOT make it through a level stealthily on normal.

Another thing I appreciate about Absolution is that it's mostly free from the spontaneous BS that was always present in the older games. All the times in Hitman 2 of random, GUARDS NOW SEARCHING FOR SUSPICIOUS BALD MAN, or in Blood Money when there are mystery witnesses being recorded in the mission results screen.

Jintor

This. Still makes me laugh at how dumb it is. I wonder who thought that was a good idea?

Also, nobody could swim, so on that Drug Rehab mission you could totally just shove one of the guys in the pool and if you were fast enough nobody would notice.

Top Bottom