• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

R1CHO

I like the disguise system, its more logical, maybe they can tweak the reaction of the enemies, but it seems fine to me.

I am enjoying the humor of the game, the npcs dialogues, the cut scenes, the eastern eggs, the incompetent agency... very good.

Derrick01

Banned
There's no substantial credibility when you use the perception of others, their opinions and expectations to form yours. Especially when you try to act like your opinion is so coveted. You want your opinion to have some weight? Then go form one for yourself and stop relying on the impressions of others completely. If you still hate it so much, at least some semblance of a critic will come forward.

Right now all that I'm getting from your criticism is you refuse to play the game as you don't mind being spoken for. You had an excuse pre-release.

Even RevDM and MMarsu gave it a chance in some sense.

So when I play it and have the same complaints, all of a sudden it magically becomes credible?

Sorry I don't buy that.

Carbonox

This game is so good. Going through the missions again this time on Hard mode and doing every challenge. Addictive as fuck.

Possible GOTY for me.

PnCIa

Just do Hitman-like things and your Instinct fills right up quick. Silent subdue/kill, changing to a costume, accident kills, getting safely to a new area. I wouldn't want it to recharge automatically, that'd feel too easy.

Things like silent kills, which i would call the main source of instinct, are actually not "Hitman-like" activities. Less interactivity is "Hitman-like".

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This game is so good. Going through the missions again this time on Hard mode and doing every challenge. Addictive as fuck.

Possible GOTY for me.
Wow, i want to love the game like you do but i have problems with the disguise system.

Any tips how to use it right would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, i want to love the game like you do but i have problems with the disguise system.

I'm only playing on normal difficulty, but what issues are you guys having with it? Just the range of being spotted? Is it much smaller in higher diffs?
Edit- I forgot in higher diffs instinct is less abundant and in the last diff it's not even there so I could see why it's an issue since you have to walk past guys wearing the same outfit using instinct.

vidcons

Banned

Don't use disguises? Seriously, don't know what to tell you. Play stealthy, don't look enemies in the face.

I'm digging the story here. It's not high art, but it's really fun grindhouse/pulp/crime fiction.
Yeah, I'm not sure what people are complaining about. This is just thrilling. The barber shop mission was so much fun.

I'm digging the story here. It's not high art, but it's really fun grindhouse/pulp/crime fiction.

The plot is pretty basic so far (just finished Run For Your Life) but the voice-acting is phenomenal, isn't it? Oddly enough I think 47's VA is the worst, he comes off wooden like he's reading off a script, but maybe that's the intention.

Maybe I need to get further, but I haven't found the story to be "absolutely atrocious" or "garbage" yet, is it just a plot thing or does the story completely change later on or something?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm only playing on normal difficulty, but what issues are you guys having with it? Just the range of being spotted? Is it much smaller in higher diffs?
I don't know when exactly i should use it. Everytime i see some arrows i use instinct, or when i walk past a guard i use instinct but often my instinct is empty when i need it the most.

What am i doing wrong? i use it too early? but then i'm afraid i get seen by some guy.

The plot is pretty basic so far (just finished Run For Your Life) but the voice-acting is phenomenal, isn't it? Oddly enough I think 47's VA is the worst, he comes off wooden like he's reading off a script, but maybe that's the intention.

Yeah, I don't think it's intentionally at all. The line so far that has stuck out the most was just after he
rescues Victoria and he points a gun at her asking her something (I forget what he says), but it sounded fucking terrible.

Yeah, I don't think it's intentionally at all. The line so far that has stuck out the most was just after he
rescues Victoria and he points a gun at her asking her something (I forget what he says), but it sounded fucking terrible.

I think Bateson did a great job, the issue is that he was brought back after the mo cap sessions, so unlike the other characters, 47 doesn't share the same motion and voice actor, meaning Bateson had to act his way around the other guy's lip sync, if that makes sense.

Really man? I love pulp and crime fiction, particularly the high quality resurgence of the genre in the comics industry right now, but I can't even term this that, it's just really bad. Or at least really bad execution/dialogue, I can at least see a world where this had been written to be a good story. Hey, if you're enjoying it though,you're enjoying it, and I doubt it's only you. Very specific taste I'll say.

Otherwise I'm with C_R up there, the more I play the closer I think it is to GOTY for pure gameplay. The disguise system has been frustrating a few times, but I never think its cheated me, just that its a very specific system that you need to use the way they want you to. A bit of a clash for a game that's begging you to go do your own thing. But if you're having fun and willing to engage in the game's rules, it's really rewarding. Kinda wish you didn't see a level's challenges until the first time you finish though. It's be cool to see how many I got just by playing naturally, and it would put me off restarting and restarting to do things dif. ways.

As much as it pains me to admit it, this game is really disappointing. I was hoping Derrick's negativity pre-release would turn out to be misguided, but it wasn't. There's no point playing it stealthily, I could only complete Terminus by shooting my way through.

MormaPope

Banned
As much as it pains me to admit it, this game is really disappointing. I was hoping Derrick's negativity pre-release would turn out to be misguided, but it wasn't. There's no point playing it stealthily, I could only complete Terminus by shooting my way through.

Then that's on you? I completed that mission killing only like 2 or 3 dudes.

For real? You won't like the next level then haha. I got through this fine stealthing, but the very next area I had some real troubles with for awhile (bong house). I'm on chapter 16 I think though (op sledgehammer) and there's no where I've had to resort to shooting my out yet. Tbh, any time it's started to go that way anyway I've restarted checkpoint. I feel like I failed if it gets to that haha.

Xater

I just lost my entire campaign file due to a save freeze/corruption.

A warning to others - backup your files. I lost a shit load of work.

All I have now is my contracts stuff. All the campaign is gone.

Lots of other reporting the same on the Hitman boards. If your game hard freezes while auto saving... chances are its goodbye file =(

Pissed off big time.

Happened to me as well. Luckily it was during the last cutscene of the game. had to watch the ending on Youtube though.

Really man? I love pulp and crime fiction, particularly the high quality resurgence of the genre in the comics industry right now, but I can't even term this that, it's just really bad. Or at least really bad execution/dialogue, I can at least see a world where this had been written to be a good story. Hey, if you're enjoying it though,you're enjoying it, and I doubt it's only you. Very specific taste I'll say.

I thought the dialogue's really great. NPC conversations are awesome and/or hilarious. The plot itself is a bit hamfisted, but I really dig it. It clicks with me, you know? I love the NPC dialogue as I'm sneaking around, it's engaging stuff. Plus, I kinda like 47 as a badass navigating all this craziness around him.

Sethos

Banned
I've actually just started playing it as a shooter, it's easier, more fun and the ragdoll is glorious. Feels a bit like MGS4 to me, they put enough focus into shooting that it overtook Stealth as the fun way to progress.

I feel dirty.

I completed Terminus without killing anyone. There's a fire escape on the rear of the 7th floor. Take your time on the 8th.

I thought the dialogue's really great. NPC conversations are awesome and/or hilarious. The plot itself is a bit hamfisted, but I really dig it. It clicks with me, you know? I love the NPC dialogue as I'm sneaking around, it's engaging stuff. Plus, I kinda like 47 as a badass navigating all this craziness around him.

Well, I'll give you that 47's part is pretty brilliant. Some of the ridiculous stuff that's going down and 47 with that voice actor taking it stone cold seriously. The character Lenny though..christ haha. He's been the worst for me so far. I could maybe convince myself though that they made most of the cast so annoying so you can get 100% satisfaction when you take them out.

Well, I'll give you that 47's part is pretty brilliant. Some of the ridiculous stuff that's going down and 47 with that voice actor taking it stone cold seriously. The character Lenny though..christ haha. He's been the worst for me so far. I could maybe convince myself though that they made most of the cast so annoying so you can get 100% satisfaction when you take them out.

Well, it's working.

Lenny's such a dick. The scene in the desert was so satisfying. What I really loved was
his hysterical crying over the stats screen if you choose to drive away instead of killing him (you get a trophy as well if you choose to leave him there. I felt much better leaving him for the vultures without any water than I would have shooting him. But what's hilarious is if you don't shoot at him, he'll run a short distance and call you pussy, only to shit himself if you take a shot near him (like at the ground). Too funny.

MormaPope

Banned
I've actually just started playing it as a shooter, it's easier, more fun and the ragdoll is glorious. Feels a bit like MGS4 to me, they put enough focus into shooting that it overtook Stealth as the fun way to progress.

I feel dirty.

Sneaking by dudes and only killing the dudes in your path by stabbing them in the head or neck with a screwdriver russles my jimmies to the max. Stealth in this Hitman is definitely different, but it's just as satisfying and times even better than past Hitman's stealth wise.

But you're right, this is the first Hitman that doesn't have really shitty firearm combat. Point shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun and hitting someone in the crotch 8 times is darkly satisfying, even more so when their ragdoll skids across the room.

Sneaking by dudes and only killing the dudes in your path by stabbing them in the head or neck with a screwdriver russles my jimmies to the max. Stealth in this Hitman is definitely different, but it's just as satisfying and times even better than past Hitman's stealth wise.

But you're right, this is the first Hitman that doesn't have really shitty firearm combat. Point shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun and hitting someone in the crotch 8 times is darkly satisfying, even more so when their ragdoll skids across the room.

The syringe, man, the syringe. I threw a syringe into a dude's eye.

I haven't done too much melee killing (surprisingly enough, I've snuck past most enemies, killed a few with pistols or the garrote wire, but I'm gonna step up the melee killing soon. Some awesome animations.

Well, it's working.

Lenny's such a dick. The scene in the desert was so satisfying.

Haha
I had a feeling it might be more rewarding to leave him, but I couldn't resist. I marched after him shooting all the birds to freak him out. I did consider leaving him in case I got a cheevo over it, but then I got the pussy comment, and that was that, boom.
How big is that area though?? The finish screen had so many random items on it haha seemed like you might be able to run out there much further than I assumed.

Haha
I had a feeling it might be more rewarding to leave him, but I couldn't resist. I marched after him shooting all the birds to freak him out. I did consider leaving him in case I got a cheevo over it, but then I got the pussy comment, and that was that, boom.
How big is that area though?? The finish screen had so many random items on it haha seemed like you might be able to run out there much further than I assumed.

I didn't really explore, but I found the dog bone and all the firearms. There's a tomahawk around somewhere that I wanted to get a hold of.

You should try
leaving him there. Too funny. Plus, he has it coming.

Kind of feels like a Splinter Cell game with Hitman influences. More linear, but there's still lots to do and mess around with, lots of ways to approach the missions. Perfectly satisfied with this.

derFeef

What? It's really easy to not kill anyone. I subdued two people and made no noise. Explore, wait, and try not going the main way.

MormaPope

Banned
The syringe, man, the syringe. I threw a syringe into a dude's eye.

I haven't done too much melee killing (surprisingly enough, I've snuck past most enemies, killed a few with pistols or the garrote wire, but I'm gonna step up the melee killing soon. Some awesome animations.

I'm glad they made throw-able killing items really easy to use. For example, in the King of Chinatown mission
I threw a brick into the the double door gutter thing to distract the cop that's posted up next to the cocaine. I pushed the cop in and snuck around a cooking stall to get a kitchen knife. When the King was doing blow I just threw the kitchen knife into the back of his head and walked away nonchalantly.

The amount of melee weapons and the corresponding animations are fantastic. It sorta reminds me of Manhunt in the aspect of using anything and everything as a weapon. In the Terminus mission you can replace your garote wire with measuring tape.

So when I play it and have the same complaints, all of a sudden it magically becomes credible?

Sorry I don't buy that.
I never said it held no credibility; your vindicated opinion based on similar complaints and observations doesn't mean people should consider you get objective source when critiquing Hitman. I've no doubt that if you play it you'll say the same things, you're that predictable, but I'll at least be comforted with your attempt to be thorough.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't think 47's ever been more... badass than in Absolution. Bateson's voice is god damn amazing.
Badass? Dude, the man couldn't kill a run-of-the-mill bodyguard in the
Run for Your Life
mission and got his ass handed to him. That's like the antithesis of badassery.

Just do Hitman-like things and your Instinct fills right up quick. Silent subdue/kill, changing to a costume, accident kills, getting safely to a new area. I wouldn't want it to recharge automatically, that'd feel too easy.
Aren't those exactly the kind of things that you SHOULDN'T do if you want to get a Silent Assassin rank? You know, only killing targets and not hurting anyone else. It seems to me that the ways you have to recharge instinct are in complete contradiction with the reasons you'd want it to recharge.

Interesting, the slower reaction times of easy difficulty makes the disguise system really bearable. It's a bit too easy, so maybe it could be tweaked on an NPC by NPC basis. But it's a glimmer of hope.

Run for Your Life

To be fair, that dude is like a Redneck Mexican Bane.

But yeah, 47 came off as a putz there. But it was funny.

If I treat it as a Bourne game of sorts, it's actually a lot more enjoyable. I liked the initial pitch of Splinter Cell: Conviction, where you were in public and being hunted and had to use your environment to escape. I like setting off fireworks in a store and then escaping while the fire alarm goes off, etc.

I don't have the patience any more to play it as a Hitman game, so this will have to do!

EDIT: Just seen Dilly's post above, I agree!

I didn't really explore, but I found the dog bone and all the firearms. There's a tomahawk around somewhere that I wanted to get a hold of.

You should try
leaving him there. Too funny. Plus, he has it coming.

Lol have you got to the courthouse yet?
Standing in front of the court in a judge disguise with a tomahawk whille a man with a tinfoil hat looks on in horror = this game haha.
I'll definetely be going back to levels though before I'm done with the game. The mission where you can do all the different crazy lab experiments to the targets, I just kept restarting after I did one, they were all so good. I'm pretty sure I'll never be done finishing off Lenny.

Oh and for the throwing objects discussion, they are so freaking cool, but I somehow did not even know you could do throw kills til last night when I was cycling through the achievement list to see what the visible ones were. I've done plenty of distraction throwing, but I get the feeling I've missed alot of cool kill opportunities. Of course the first thing I did when I realise was throw a cleaver straight at someone's head. It was greatly satisfying.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

the stealthy parts are pretty much everything I hate about stealth in games. It seems the industry is regressing in that regard.

also what I've played so far has been linear as hell. The game is basically a corridor shooter now. I just completed the Orphanage and the end when you
shoot Wade(?) in a forced QTE
pretty much killed what hope I had left. I don't think I've been this disappointed by a game since the original Assassin's Creed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Run for Your Life

Aren't those exactly the kind of things that you SHOULDN'T do if you want to get a Silent Assassin rank? You know, only killing targets and not hurting anyone else. It seems to me that the ways you have to recharge instinct are in complete contradiction with the reasons you'd want it to recharge.

You could knock out people all over the place, and accident kill guards to still get SA rank in blood money. So it's not really in contradiction at all.

the stealthy parts are pretty much everything I hate about stealth in games. It seems the industry is regressing in that regard.

also what I've played so far has been linear as hell. The game is basically a corridor shooter now. I just completed the Orphanage and the end when you
shoot Wade(?) in a forced QTE
pretty much killed what hope I had left. I don't think I've been this disappointed by a game since the original Assassin's Creed.

Please explore before you say stuff like this...there is no forced QTE segment here. You playing in linearly does not mean the game is linear, you didn't look around the area at all. I fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Please explore before you say stuff like this...there is no forced QTE segment here. You playing in linearly does not mean the game is linear, you didn't look around the area at all. I fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yup, was about to add, that is not what I did at all to finish that part off.

Top Bottom