• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

fuck. this game is so close to being a good hitman game, how did they fuck it up?

I mean they could fix half my problems by getting rid of instinct and just making disguises actually, ya know, work.

Ciastek3214

fuck. this game is so close to being a good hitman game, how did they fuck it up?

I mean they could fix half my problems by getting rid of instinct and just making disguises actually, ya know, work.

I think just switching the disguise system bullshit off would break more than it would fix. Most of the levels seem to be designed around stealthy, hiding in cover approach.

I played Blood Money again after Absolution and had a great experience. The game felt fair, open and is basically the perfect Hitman game for me - my new favourite in the series. Now I am playing my old favourite Hitman 2 again and man, talk about rose-tinted glasses. The disguise system in this is even worse than Absolution's default. You pretty much just need to get within 5 metres of a guard to have your cover blown. Some guards, especially those in the Japan levels, are practically psychic and will open fire for no reason. I would urge those who fondly remember Hitman 2 from years ago to go back and try just the first level again - you will be sucked.

justjim89

Fuck. The patch apparently disables the trainer. Went to start a new game on expert and anytime I go to activate the trainer the game crashes. This pisses me the hell off. Why disable something that fixes your obtuse and broken detection system? Damn it. I've logged 33 hours in the game and love it, but that trainer and the detection adjustments made the back half of the game so much more playable. Their detection patch better be coming soon or I'm just not going to play this again. That leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

hey, anyone know how to do the signature kill against dom at the strip club?

I assume it has something to do with
the disco ball, but I don't think the guy wonders there.

CloudWolf

The disguise system in this is even worse than Absolution's default. You pretty much just need to get within 5 metres of a guard to have your cover blown. Some guards, especially those in the Japan levels, are practically psychic and will open fire for no reason.
Eh, I disagree. I'm at Hidden Valley right now (fuck that level, fuck it) and the disguise system is much more fair than in Absolution IMO. Sure, the guards notice you pretty quickly, but unlike in Hitman: Absolution you can avoid suspiction pretty easily by just casually walking past a guard while in disguise. For instance, Tubeway Torpedo would be terrible in Absolution because the guards would see through your disguise immediately in those narrow corridors, but in Hitman 2 you can just walk past them without raising suspiction (the meter will go to red, but as long as you keep on walking, it will go back to normal again).

I think just switching the disguise system bullshit off would break more than it would fix. Most of the levels seem to be designed around stealthy, hiding in cover approach.

only because there's no other option :(

you wouldn't need to go splinter cell if walking past guards in disguise actually worked, and it would feel about 1000 times more like a hitman solution to a problem than crawling through vents like a fucking nano-augmented rat.

Eh, I disagree. I'm at Hidden Valley right now (fuck that level, fuck it) and the disguise system is much more fair than in Absolution IMO. Sure, the guards notice you pretty quickly, but unlike in Hitman: Absolution you can avoid suspiction pretty easily by just casually walking past a guard while in disguise. For instance, Tubeway Torpedo would be terrible in Absolution because the guards would see through your disguise immediately in those narrow corridors, but in Hitman 2 you can just walk past them without raising suspiction (the meter will go to red, but as long as you keep on walking, it will go back to normal again).

my man

Jharp

This police evasion bullshit is really fucking terrible. Linear stealth sequences that force you to utilize the poorly implemented disguise system, or go without it and rely on the even worse stealth mechanics.

What the fuck were IO thinking? I just finished the
strip club
mission, which is pretty early in the game, so I'm hoping I don't have to constantly deal with this absolutely mind-bogglingly bad nonsense at the beginning and end of every mission, like I did for that one, but the way you all are talking about the game, i'm not so sure.

Shame too, there's some real cool stuff in here. But fuck, man, there's just so much more "what the fuck were you thinking, IO?? moments.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This police evasion bullshit is really fucking terrible. Linear stealth sequences that force you to utilize the poorly implemented disguise system, or go without it and rely on the even worse stealth mechanics.

What the fuck were IO thinking? I just finished the
strip club
mission, which is pretty early in the game, so I'm hoping I don't have to constantly deal with this absolutely mind-bogglingly bad nonsense at the beginning and end of every mission, like I did for that one, but the way you all are talking about the game, i'm not so sure.

Shame too, there's some real cool stuff in here. But fuck, man, there's just so much more "what the fuck were you thinking, IO?? moments.

It feels like a 70 - 30 split between linear shit levels and levels with actual *hits*. Even then many of the levels where you have to kill someone are populated with exactly 1 enemy type rendering the disguise system entirely moot.

Jharp

It feels like a 70 - 30 split between linear shit levels and levels with actual *hits*. Even then many of the levels where you have to kill someone are populated with exactly 1 enemy type rendering the disguise system entirely moot.

Which end is which? Based on where I'm at (again, admittedly early), I'm guessing that the 70 is the linear shit, and the 30 is the actual hits. I mean, so far it's been the tutorial, which we can ignore since even Blood Money had a super linear and uninteresting (at least from a gameplay perspective) tutorial level. Then the
Chinatown
mission, which was awesome, if short, then the
Terminus Hotel
, which had its moments and was overall a decent mission, even if
you don't actually end up fucking killing anyone
, then it's just all downhill from there. Nothing but police evasion, with the moment you enter the
strip club
being the only reprieve from linearity and badness, and even that mission was largely evading police! What the fuck!

Salsa

Just finished it. Really enjoyed it. Some missions were a huge, huge bummer and just non-hitman at all, but most of the game does feel like a Hitman game and the high points are pretty high. Also took me like fucking 25 hours to beat, its damn long.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have been playing the Chinatown mission to the point of mastery. I just broke 269,000 (36/36). Time to move on to the next mission. Absolutely loving this game so far.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Which end is which? Based on where I'm at (again, admittedly early), I'm guessing that the 70 is the linear shit, and the 30 is the actual hits. I mean, so far it's been the tutorial, which we can ignore since even Blood Money had a super linear and uninteresting (at least from a gameplay perspective) tutorial level. Then the
Chinatown
mission, which was awesome, if short, then the
Terminus Hotel
, which had its moments and was overall a decent mission, even if
you don't actually end up fucking killing anyone
, then it's just all downhill from there. Nothing but police evasion, with the moment you enter the
strip club
being the only reprieve from linearity and badness, and even that mission was largely evading police! What the fuck!

70 linear, 30 hits.

I don't mind the linear stuff, even though i feel more like Bourne than Hitman. The disguise stuff is pretty weird too. Like for certain levels like that early strip club one, going no disguise is more manageable lol.

The first Hitman game I actually finished, so they did something right this time around
KuGsj.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really disagree with the other level types being called linear. While the objective is getting to one point, you have many ways to get there.

Pikma

Banned
Has IO showed any kind of interest in fixing the disguise system? Or is it a "feature" like many devs like to pretend when things like this happen?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Well I have finally completed it, 27 hours on mostly Expert but I had to switch it down to Hard because I don't have the time like I have before now to keep replaying. All in all, a fantastic game. Courthouse was truly fantastic and there was a few levels that felt more like the traditional sandbox formula. All they need to do now is refine the mechanics more and use the extra resources of next gen hardware to truly expand the bigger areas with Glacier 2.0, I could tell there was a lot of restrictions because of it.

Courthouse, Rosewood, BlackWater Park, Chinatown, Cornfield, Hope, there is still plenty of fun and some great levels to go up there with BM/SA.

Bateson <3

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Has IO showed any kind of interest in fixing the disguise system? Or is it a "feature" like many devs like to pretend when things like this happen?

They've been looking into feedback on it, so I would be surprised if they don't do anything given the response.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
In playing the Chinatown map for close to 8 hours, I came to understand the disguise system a lot better. It seems to me that IO has crafted multiple ways to kill, but only a rare few can be done on expert or purist. By using one or two disguises, I was able to complete purist without ever really being threatened. It took time to learn the limitations of the map, but if Chinatown is any indication of how the rest of the game will play out, I am looking forward to dissecting the remaining levels.

Sojgat

In playing the Chinatown map for close to 8 hours, I came to understand the disguise system a lot better. It seems to me that IO has crafted multiple ways to kill, but only a rare few can be done on expert or purist. By using one or two disguises, I was able to complete purist without ever really being threatened. It took time to learn the limitations of the map, but if Chinatown is any indication of how the rest of the game will play out, I am looking forward to dissecting the remaining levels.

If you've only played A Personal Contract and The King of Chinatown, then you've played the two best missions IMO. There are some other high points, but it's mostly downhill from here.

Almost done with the game. Some thoughts:

1. Controls are amazing. Best in the series. Feels so good knowing that you can't fuck shit up. Not sure if that added to the "danger" in the previous games or not, but it's fairly impossible to blame it on controls if you fuck up.

2. Weapons, character costumes and animations: Love it! I know it's a taboo to ask for such things but I wish they made a multiplayer game running in Hitman universe. Either that or they need to make a sequel to Kane and Lynch using Glacier 2 and similar playstyle/gunplay. IO literally have to cheapen up and port the entire guns and animations and costumes over and will easily make the best Kane and Lynch game.
Loved the cameo, btw! Give me a sequel, IO! Unless the game decides to be canon to my actions then I'm sorry, I killed them both. I just had to!

3. Story: It's good but somewhat unnecessary. I'll say unnecessary because it takes away the "Contracts" out of the game that I enjoyed. I liked the whole "Working for contracts and executing targets but some shit happens on the side that will eventually blow up in his face" scenarios in previous Hitman games. Prologue mission should've taken place way later in the game. Of course, "Contracts" mode add that fun back, but it's not the same. Also, "News Report" at the end of each Blood Money level was the best feature of the game. I wish they added it in somehow (Radio does this but not in decent extend cause it's just story arc and not your personal progress) because it gave you an idea how stealthly you were portrayed. Yes, there is a score screen at the end but it doesn't add to the excitement that Blood Money did, where there were no witnesses and people thought it was an accident. Adding a storyline conflicted with this feature IMO.

4. Gameplay: Sticky situation. I'll call it sticky because it feels insanely scripted in an unscripted world. It mixes Splinter Cell: Conviction, Assassin's Creed and Batman: Arkham City into one game, and lost it's own identity in the commotion. I don't like using Instinct to blend in. The whole idea of wearing a disguise is so that no one recognizes you until you do something stupid or until you stand in someone's face for too long and they realize something is up. You enter an entirely different room filled with dozens of people, walk a few steps and everyone and their mother knows you don't belong here. Give me a break, A.I.; I'm just passing by minding my business.
The Saints
mission was the only one where it felt like you didn't need to engage any enemy and just take out the target. It's one of the only missions I played with suits. There were a lot of fun setbacks, kill scenarios and hilarious moments that makes this what Hitman truly was about, but it falls short with the bad stealth mode.

All in all, it's a great game if it wasn't called "Hitman". As a "Hitman" game, it's average.

If you've only played A Personal Contract and The King of Chinatown, then you've played the two best missions IMO. There are some other high points, but it's mostly downhill from here.
Are you serious? I think Terminus was the first mission that brought me a great feeling. The King of Chinatown was alright, but it felt like a bad level from Blood Money. The first mission was nothing special either.

Interfectum

No way.

Attack of the Saints, Shaving Lenny, Skurky's Law, Blackwater Park, Vixen Club and even Terminus had pretty excellent Hitman style gameplay.

Uthred

Not super far in but enjoying the more humanised 47, in the older games he was pointlessly mechanical, little more than a cipher, the epitome of a meaningless "videogame character". In Absolution the little touches of actual emotion help him feel like an actual character. It always felt they were going for the Dredd-esque emotionless machine but up until this game it never really worked because he was too emotionless.

Sojgat

Are you serious? I think Terminus was the first mission that brought me a great feeling. The King of Chinatown was alright, but it felt like a bad level from Blood Money. The first mission was nothing special either.

A bad level from Blood Money is the best this game has to offer. It would actually make a good tutorial for a Blood Money style game, which is what I thought it was and then the game disappointed me. Terminus is ok. All the good stuff in this game is front-loaded and then Blackwater Park is really good near the end.

No way.

Attack of the Saints, Shaving Lenny, Skurky's Law, Blackwater Park, Vixen Club and even Terminus had pretty excellent Hitman style gameplay.

Attack of the Saints is a Splinter Cell level. Shaving Lenny reminded me how limited in scope most of the environments were (oh the streets are blocked off and you can go into 3 of the buildings). Skurky's Law was where the disguise system's flaws really shined. Blackwater Park was pretty great (the challenges were good fun for this one), however environments populated by nothing but patrolling guards had worn pretty thin by this point. Vixen Club was ok, at least you have a target and a number of options to kill him. I've finished this game 3 times now, and I'm never going to touch it again. It's the SSX 2012 of Hitman games.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Invisible walls in a 2012 game? Not nice IO, not nice.

And WTF at 47 being
knocked out and captured not just once, but twice?
Is this the same legendary 47 I've been playing as in the previous games?

Taruranto

^Yeah, the story is pretty bad. 47 getting
knocked out like some idiot
was really cringe and facepalm-worthy. And let's not mention the attempts to sound "dramatic" with the Diana-flashbacks. Ugh.

I'm in the second half of the game and i really lost the motivation to play. Really doesn't feel like a proper Hitman game and i'm so tired of playing hide-and-seek.

A bad level from Blood Money is the best this game has to offer. It would actually make a good tutorial for a Blood Money style game, which is what I thought it was and then the game disappointed me. Terminus is ok. All the good stuff in this game is front-loaded and then Blackwater Park is really good near the end.
That's excactly what's bothering me about that level. There are a lot of options, but they are pretty obvious and too easy to approach. There's not much thinking or figuring out required. And I would not say that it's the best the game has to offer, not even as a Hitman mission. For example, The Chinese New Year, which takes place in the same location, felt a lot better and is not any less Hitman than The King of Chinatown. But I can understand that you're disappointed in the game, especially when you expected a game in the vein of Blood Money.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
^Yeah, the story is pretty bad. 47 getting
knocked out like some idiot
was really cringe and facepalm-worthy. And let's not mention the attempts to sound "dramatic" with the Diana-flashbacks. Ugh.

I'm in the second half of the game and i really lost the motivation to play. Really doesn't feel like a proper Hitman game and i'm so tired of playing hide-and-seek.
At least the second time was more believable. You can guess he
didn't see the puddle of water on the floor, so the electrocution could have actually happened.
But the first time?
Dude, why not just shoot him? He's 4 times bigger and stronger than you, only a fool would try strangling him with fiber wire! And it's not like he wasn't carrying his silenced Silverballers.
There's no fucking excuse for that degree of incompetence.

Sojgat

That's excactly what's bothering me about that level. There are a lot of options, but they are pretty obvious and too easy to approach. There's not much thinking or figuring out required. And I would not say that it's the best the game has to offer, not even as a Hitman mission. For example, The Chinese New Year, which takes place in the same location, felt a lot better and is not any less Hitman than The King of Chinatown. But I can understand that you're disappointed in the game, especially when you expected a game in the vein of Blood Money.

I like the game, but each time I play it my enjoyment decreases as the story progresses. After 6 years I expected more.

At least the second time was more believable. You can guess he
didn't see the puddle of water on the floor, so the electrocution could have actually happened.
But the first time?
Dude, why not just shoot him? He's 4 times bigger and stronger than you, only a fool would try strangling him with fiber wire! And it's not like he wasn't carrying his silenced Silverballers.
There's no fucking excuse for that degree of incompetence.

I saw the puddle of water, believe it or not. I knew something is up.

Anyone else find traversal pretty bad? Have to huge the walls to find the small ass trigger prompt area.

And is it just my shitty computer, but does the game freeze a bit during a transition to a cutscene or new map? Game runs fine during gameplay. Hmmm.

The biggest lost IMO is blood moneys newspaper article thing.

Without those I don't feel much incentive to silent it up :/

Could 47 always soak up so many bullets? He has crazy amount of health for a stealth game character lol.

t-ramp

And is it just my shitty computer, but does the game freeze a bit during a transition to a cutscene or new map? Game runs fine during gameplay. Hmmm.
Probably just loading from the hard drive makes it freeze. Nothing to worry about, I don't think.

Could 47 always soak up so many bullets? He has crazy amount of health for a stealth game character lol.
Even on Purist he seems to be able to take more hits than I would like.

Probably just loading from the hard drive makes it freeze. Nothing to worry about, I don't think.

Even on Purist he seems to be able to take more hits than I would like.
What I think is funny is, that he's dead after two punches, but needs a dozen bullets to be taken down with guns. Shouldn't it be more like the other way around?

kuroshiki

Almost done with the game. Some thoughts:

1. Controls are amazing. Best in the series. Feels so good knowing that you can't fuck shit up. Not sure if that added to the "danger" in the previous games or not, but it's fairly impossible to blame it on controls if you fuck up.

All in all, it's a great game if it wasn't called "Hitman". As a "Hitman" game, it's average.

This. Previous hitman series control was just so janky I couldn't stand it at all. kudos to developers to nailing this down.

I just booted up my PC for the first time in a few days and I noticed an update for this game on Steam. Any word on what they fixed?

Question on the the Rosewood mission:

Was having a lot of trouble
collecting the fuses and just couldnt get past the guards without devolving into a shootout. I watched a video on YouTube and the fuses were in completely different spots. Does the game randomize the location, or was I watching perhaps an older build or a different platform (im on pc)? Can I reroll the fuse placement? I've tried it like 20 times and I can't do it.

Question on the the Rosewood mission:

Was having a lot of trouble
collecting the fuses and just couldnt get past the guards without devolving into a shootout. I watched a video on YouTube and the fuses were in completely different spots. Does the game randomize the location, or was I watching perhaps an older build or a different platform (im on pc)? Can I reroll the fuse placement? I've tried it like 20 times and I can't do it.

had no problem on normal. Only knocked out the guy at the start and stealth walked my way around the rest.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game. Tried to use stealth whenever I could, but I had no problems playing it like a shooter. Unfortunately I wasn't very subtle, so my playthrough felt more like a TPS. Nice game, but it surely doesn't feel like the old Hitman games, except for some levels.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I hate how enemies / NPCs somehow know you are knocking someone the fuck out from behind doors... And here I was thinking I was the only guy with Xray vision.

Top Bottom