• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

I think almost everyone can agree with this.

Considering I've been playing it more as an action game, I actually didn't mind this level. I'm a big fan of 'infiltrating big bases' missions, and while they're completely out of place in a Hitman game, it was perfectly serviceable.

I'm enjoying this game as an action game now, and if they fix the disguise system I'll replay it later as a proper Hitman game.

justjim89

I honestly didn't have very much trouble with Dexter Industries. Although it did just take me 2 hours to figure out how to make headway in Blackwater Park. I managed to find one security guard who gave me a small window to take his outfit. Great level once you get into it, though.

By the way, guys, I strongly recommend using the trainer to adjust detection. It makes the disguise system work as it conceptually should have. If you get too close, you'll have to use instinct a bit to get past. But it's not like how it typically is where you just have to hold it down anytime you're in the same room as guards. Detection is actually balanced. And with that, my biggest point of contention with the game has disappeared. I'm playing on hard, and I got through the Blackwater penthouse fairly painlessly once I was able to obtain a disguise. I could imagine the pain it would be using default detection settings. So yeah, anyone playing on PC should really use it. It's not cheating if it makes the game play like it logically should.

For those that don't know/don't remember, here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/943496-hitman-absolution/64739273

eXistor

Just finished it. I have to say, except for some lame levels
Dexter Industries especially was kind of ass
and too much of a focus on "evade"-type levels, I had a blast playing it. Visually it was mindblowing, such great attention to detail. There was a staggering variety of levels on display. I would have liked a few more open levels like supposedly the previous Hitman games had (this was my first). The few that were like that were fantastic.

Also the disguise system has some weird quirks. How come, in thick fog, wearing a disguise that completely covers my face and body, guards find me so suspicious that they open fire almost instantly? Or why am I hidden when I'm eating donuts in a cop uniform, but the second I stop eating said donut, I'm suspicious.

Quirks aside, great game had a lot of fun with it. My next Hitman game will be Blood Money, everyone says it's the best one and that it shits all over Absolution, so I'm curious to see how it stacks up, having no rose-tinted glasses to put on.

rvy

Banned
Sniper Challenge is very cool. No idea why they didn't include some sniping sections in the actual game. Maybe even a prologue to the prologue, lol.

justjim89

Just finished the campaign. 31 hours total. I'm definitely going to keep playing it and try to get more challenges and what not. And I'll definitely dive deeper into Contracts. All in all, a great game. It doesn't deserve anywhere near the amount of hate it's gotten. All in all, as an entire experience, I'd easily put it over Blood Money. Maybe level by level Blood money has more true "hits," but this game plays so much better. So story is better. The characters are better. 47 himself is better. The whole experience is dripping with atmosphere, and you're really entrenched neck deep in this supremely dense universe. It's a true sequel to Silent Assassin and Contracts, and I can't wait to see where the franchise goes from here.

DukeBobby

Just finished the campaign. 31 hours total. I'm definitely going to keep playing it and try to get more challenges and what not. And I'll definitely dive deeper into Contracts. All in all, a great game. It doesn't deserve anywhere near the amount of hate it's gotten. All in all, as an entire experience, I'd easily put it over Blood Money. Maybe level by level Blood money has more true "hits," but this game plays so much better. So story is better. The characters are better. 47 himself is better. The whole experience is dripping with atmosphere, and you're really entrenched neck deep in this supremely dense universe. It's a true sequel to Silent Assassin and Contracts, and I can't wait to see where the franchise goes from here.

After all of the pre-release negativity, I expected a lot worse. Many of us really enjoy the game.

Jintor

I enjoy it... I just don't see myself dicking around with it for hours on end like I did with Blood Money. There's just zero impetus to replay it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I've gotten up to
Blackwater
and I have zero desire to play a good chunk of those levels ever again. So many questionable design choices and half baked ideas, not enough realizations and capitalization on the parts that really needed it. It's not a bad game, but it's not something I have enjoyed enough to say I "Like" it, and it is absolutely not Hitman to me.

justjim89

I still need to finish Contracts (about half done), but after beating Absolution, I'd rank the franchise as follows:

1. Silent Assassin
2. Absolution
3. Contracts
4. Blood Money
5. Codename 47

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dat score.

Z7tUF.jpg

Dat score.

Dat justice.

Creating contracts is pretty awesome. You could basically rewrite an entirely new story and weave new targets which I'm gonna do. Get ready for a twisted, dark, conspiracy thriller.

OPERATION GREYHAWK. ELIMINATE ALL TARGETS. THEY KNOW TOO MUCH.

Timothy Hawke was right!

After all of the pre-release negativity, I expected a lot worse. Many of us really enjoy the game.
Yeah it's easily the most polished Hitman experience. Yes you do lose some sense of freedom and experimentation, but in exchange for an overall improvement in most other aspects of the game, and this is just the first game in the series to adopt the new changes and mechanics, with a few tweaks the next game could address all of the issues people have with Absolution, there is already a solid foundation to work on. I was over on reddit and people were asking whether they should buy this game, I was amazed by the amount of people who haven't played the game but kept on saying that "according to reviews" the game is garbage and everyone should stay well away. Last time I checked, a metacritic score of 80 from 40 reviews is pretty damn good. Some even claimed that the game has turned into a stealth shooter, "according to reviews". That is utterly ridiculous, I have not fired a single bullet in the entire game, except in the tutorial level where you were forced to try out the point shooting mechanic.

MG310

Some odd bugs..but otherwise enjoying it so far. Worst bug that has happened 4 or 5 times is where somebody will spot a body on the floor even though I had moved it from that spot and put it in a trunk.

Papercuts

Some odd bugs..but otherwise enjoying it so far. Worst bug that has happened 4 or 5 times is where somebody will spot a body on the floor even though I had moved it from that spot and put it in a trunk.

Are they seeing the body or the blood pool? If you use a gun or melee weapon like a knife it leaves a pool that the AI notices now.

FireStarta316

Neo Member
I am about halfway through the campaign and am deciding if I should wait for the patch or not. I do think its a good game but not really a Hitman game. Blood Money is one of my all time favorites so this game was a bit of a letdown.

_RT_

I'm not a Hitman guy as I've always been a console gamer. I guess the closest I've been is a Splinter Cell (which I love!) guy.

I have absolutely loved this game so far.

Stealth when I can be.
Run and gun when I fuck up.

So. Much. Fun.

Even better when I can kill a room, grab a new disguise, and stroll out like a boss.

I see myself playing this over and over again. As a 36 y/o guy I never find myself saying that.

Biff

Is there anyway to disable the Glacier 2/generic intro video when I load the game?

Something like renaming the video file in my Program Files drive?

Just beat it. It was pretty good. I didn't like a lot of the levels and the disguise system along with how much time I spent chilling behind cover left a sour taste in my mouth. Not a bad game, not a great game. Just alright. I found myself really enjoying some parts of the game, so I think after replaying the bits I liked and loosening up a little more (I reloaded every time I fucked up) it'll grow on me quite a bit.

MormaPope

Banned
The courtroom mission is annoying as fuck. Just not fun for me.

You want the easy way to complete the first part? This process worked flawlessly for me.

1. Go upstairs to the library and go into the middle of the room when there's only one cop inside of it. A courtroom clerk will walk in, subdue him before he walks into the cop's line of sight. Get the disguise and drop the body in the closet inside the library. You'll have to be very quick and this step might take a few tries.

2. As the clerk, stay upstairs and go the the upper level of the courtroom. A cop will be in front of computer/monitor. As the defendant has his turn in court, the cop will walk away from the computer. Go to the computer and shutdown/mess up the tv on the lower level using the computer.

3. The judge will call for a 5 minute break. Go to the bottom level of the courtroom and go towards the front left. One clerk will see you from the other side so use instinct. Sneak by the female clerk that's on her cellphone and go into the judge's chambers. He won't be hostile or aggressive at all. Subdue him and disguise yourself as the judge. Hide the body. Don't forget to pick up the keycard he drops.

4. Walk through the judges chamber back to the judge's stand and wait for the courtroom to be filled. You'll get the option to say the verdict and after doing so the case will be over. Walk towards the door that needs the keycard, use the keycard and go into the jail below.

The judge disguise makes the first part of the jail section incredibly easy.

Jintor

You want the easy way to complete the first part? This process worked flawlessly for me.

1. Go upstairs to the library and go into the middle of the room when there's only one cop inside of it. A courtroom clerk will walk in, subdue him before he walks into the cop's line of sight. Get the disguise and drop the body in the closet inside the library. You'll have to be very quick and this step might take a few tries.

2. As the clerk, stay upstairs and go the the upper level of the courtroom. A cop will be in front of computer/monitor. As the defendant has his turn in court, the cop will walk away from the computer. Go to the computer and shutdown/mess up the tv on the lower level using the computer.

3. The judge will call for a 5 minute break. Go to the bottom level of the courtroom and go towards the front left. One clerk will see you from the other side so use instinct. Sneak by the female clerk that's on her cellphone and go into the judge's chambers. He won't be hostile or aggressive at all. Subdue him and disguise yourself as the judge. Hide the body. Don't forget to pick up the keycard he drops.

4. Walk through the judges chamber back to the judge's stand and wait for the courtroom to be filled. You'll get the option to say the verdict and after doing so the case will be over. Walk towards the door that needs the keycard, use the keycard and go into the jail below.

Ooooooooooooooooooor
wait in the bathroom for the defendant after you break the TV, stuff him in the cupboard, go back to court and get sentenced, wait for the cop to unlock the door and waltz into the cells.

Nobody noticed that the defendant shaved while he was in the bathroom

Just beat it on ps3 hard mode. The final cinematic locked up my ps3 so I had to watch the ending on YouTube.
All in all a good game but the ai on hard was pretty frustrating. Disguises felt pointless, and I hated using instinct.
Gunplay felt good though, silenced silverballer felt so right in this game, I had a ton of headshots.

Zep

Banned
Ooooooooooooooooooor
wait in the bathroom for the defendant after you break the TV, stuff him in the cupboard, go back to court and get sentenced, wait for the cop to unlock the door and waltz into the cells.

Nobody noticed that the defendant shaved while he was in the bathroom

You see I thought I messed up
by being too late going into the bathroom(the guard protecting the door tells you to fuck off). I thought I had to start over, but I just walked into the girls bathroom, with 3 guards looking at me and climbed into the vent, lol!

This game makes absolutely no sense a lot of times.

Sojgat

Such a great game, with so many improvements for the franchise (stealth & combat mechanics, visuals, storytelling), yet still so inferior to the larger sandbox design of Blood Money. It's essentially Hitman: Arkham Asylum, and it's very well done, but limited in so many stupid, artificial ways. I really enjoyed it, while being frustrated the whole time thinking of what could have been. Bateson reprising the role of 47 was a nice surprise after hearing that he had been recast for so long. Also am I wrong in thinking that the most effective weapon in the game is a screwdriver?

Zep

Banned
Finished it. Last part of the game dragged on, but well worth the $30. NPC's were great throughout, most of the missions ranged from decent-great and the gunplay was fantastic. Seriously, outside of MP3 no game has made shooting feel so damn satisfying and gruesome.

That being said, the only way I'm going back to playing this is if that trainer is as advertised. There are a number of missions I wanna go back through and I'll be damned if I feel like being cheated due to the inconsistent disguise system.

Overall, a very polished game experience. AI can be dumb as shit(see last post) but all games have their quirks. Good job, good effort IO.

Papercuts

You can also
go around back where all the police are, take out the one in the building for his disguise if you went, then stealth around the bus and climb up into a window right into the judge's office when they aren't looking.

I find it easier this way.

Such a great game, with so many improvements for the franchise (stealth & combat mechanics, visuals, storytelling), yet still so inferior to the larger sandbox design of Blood Money. It's essentially Hitman: Arkham Asylum, and it's very well done, but limited in so many stupid, artificial ways. I really enjoyed it, while being frustrated the whole time thinking of what could have been. Bateson reprising the role of 47 was a nice surprise after hearing that he had been recast for so long. Also am I wrong in thinking that the most effective weapon in the game is a screwdriver?

Stuff like the screwdriver, knife, katana, etc. are all super useful. I always pick them over a wrench or general items you can't kill from afar with, since you can still distract with all the weapons that can be thrown in the noggin. Only one that's a question mark at times is the gas can, which can be fun when I want to shoot up a level. Throw into crowd -> shoot.

so after moving the game over to SSD the sluggishness pretty much cleared up. if you're getting choppy frames when the levels are loading try that out.

I couldn't agree more, well said. I'm about to start Blackwater Park and it's been a great ride. I like it better than Blood Money.

demolitio

I'm hoping they respond to me soon on the forum since they asked me for my .mdmp file for help. I still can't open the game at all after completing the first mission and it's been like this since the day after launch. Nothing like just getting into a game and then not being able to play it since.

I'm hoping they respond to me soon on the forum since they asked me for my .mdmp file for help. I still can't open the game at all after completing the first mission and it's been like this since the day after launch. Nothing like just getting into a game and then not being able to play it since.
what the hell? that's really strange

Sojgat

Stuff like the screwdriver, knife, katana, etc. are all super useful. I always pick them over a wrench or general items you can't kill from afar with, since you can still distract with all the weapons that can be thrown in the noggin. Only one that's a question mark at times is the gas can, which can be fun when I want to shoot up a level. Throw into crowd -> shoot.

My favourite shooting rampage part (I played just rolling with all my consequences for my first time) was Rosewood. I stabbed the first guy, threw the knife into the next , then used precision shooting to take out another 6 guys in that main area outside the chapel. Throwing the fire axe at people is so satisfying. Video games...

Papercuts

My favourite shooting rampage part (I played just rolling with all my consequences for my first time) was Rosewood. I stabbed the first guy, threw the knife into the next , then used precision shooting to take out another 6 guys in that main area outside the chapel. Throwing the fire axe at people is so satisfying. Video games...

I played a fucked up Contract in that level where you basically just ran into the first room, point shoot the two guards beating up the police officer, then chuck an axe in his head. It was pretty great.

RevDM

Banned
Someone please try this for me. In courtroom, do the above mentioned to get the bathroom break. Kill person in bathroom and hide body, do not disguise. There is an escape vent by the door. After a while the guard will be impatient and come in.

I want to know what happens when they think he escaped. I would do it myself but my work schedule is insane.

Foffy

Banned
PC version just got a patch. Anyone have any idea what it changed? It's a 366 MB update..surely more than disguise values have been changed here.

derFeef

Update:
- Players using the Russian language will no longer crash as soon as they use the sniper rifle.
- Various issues that have been seen on specific configurations that caused the game to not be able to start up at all have been addressed.
- Problems with the Sniper Challenge Unlocks not carrying over into Hitman: Absolution have been addressed. On first starting the patched game you will receive your unlocks.
o Note that North American users that have been provided the Sniper Challenge by Gamestop will need a separate unlock key in addition to this. Gamestop can provide these.
- Problems with negative level-scores have been fixed. Newly accomplished positive scores will be needed to erase your incorrectly remembered negative scores.
- A problem with keyboard and mouse controls where users would accidentally melee attack a person next to them when they intended to throw an item has been addressed.
- Legal and Intro movies can now be skipped immediately on startup after the game, on all launches but the very first on a machine.
- DirectX 10 hardware can now enable the simplest version of the Depth Of Field effect.
- Problems with audio occasionally being muted after ALT-TAB have been fixed.
- Various localization fixes.
- Miscellaneous other stability and general improvements based on crashes we have seen coming in.

Note that the above is really just our first set of fixes. We are continuing to monitor things and expect to provide further patches in the future.

The Iceman

Neo Member
There was the private investigator in Rendezvous in Rotterdam, who's captured by the bikers. You have to kill him, regardless of whether or not he's betrayed the client (which is unlikely).

Loved that mission. Ironically, this is the only target that I know of where you can actually engage in some torture. I'd turn off the electricity before killing him, then turn in on again. Did this three times before finally letting him die. Fuck, Contracts was such a macabre masterpiece...

Jackpot

Banned
The courtroom mission is annoying as fuck. Just not fun for me.

Run around back through the mini-library with the cop, remembering to grab the statue bust as you go past. One cop is distracted by the civilians asking what's back there, another can be hidden from by crouching next to the cop car immediately in front of you. The other 2 in the back can be distracted by throwing the statue. Then the ledge is clear for you to climb up on and into the judge's chambers. Kill the vcr, wait for judge, take his clothes, pass sentence.

This is better than waiting for the tinfoil guy in the bathroom as in the next level you're assumed to be doing an inspection and can go where you want.

Top Bottom