• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Zep

Banned
Someone please try this for me. In courtroom, do the above mentioned to get the bathroom break. Kill person in bathroom and hide body, do not disguise. There is an escape vent by the door. After a while the guard will be impatient and come in.

I want to know what happens when they think he escaped. I would do it myself but my work schedule is insane.

Doesn't seem possible. The guard only threatens to come in after you change disguises and then if you walk too close to the door the dialog cuts off(thinking you're already out the door). So I initiated the dialog and hid inside the closet with the guy(because its the only thing you can do) and all I got a was a "blown disguise" while inside the closet, lol.

Foffy

Banned
That will probably take a little while longer. It's not exactly a quick and easy thing to fix.

There's a trainer that changes the values that lower the distance and the speed it takes for the AI to see through a disguise. In fact, I believe the trainer only changed maybe five variables or so in the game to accomplish this quick fix, all activated with a single button press.

Bailey 87

Game crashed and 15 hours of playtime is lost. I reached Dexter Industries on Purist. Fuck.

Game crashed and I lost 30 hours of playtime I completed it once and was doing my expert run :(

Decided to play it again on normal and get all the challenges done, just turned on the game and saw my save was corrupted again.

demolitio

Well, the patch is here and I still can't play. This is the most annoyed I've been with a game's launch. They answer the stupid questions when people don't even have good enough video cards yet this one gets overlooked on the forum. I guess it's an easier answer for all the rest.

These past few games have taken away all faith I've had in games actually working at launch.

feel

So..no disguise changes yet? ):
Just finished Blood Money (for the
first time, great game!) and I'm downloading Absolution (Steam), I know this has probably been talked about too much already, but real quick what is wrong with the disguises and the game in general that has so many fans disappointed? And should I wait for a fix/mod before playing? (I'm in no hurry)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There's a trainer that changes the values that lower the distance and the speed it takes for the AI to see through a disguise. In fact, I believe the trainer only changed maybe five variables or so in the game to accomplish this quick fix, all activated with a single button press.

The actual process of changing it seems easy, but I doubt they want to just slap a bandaid on it since I'd imagine that trainer trivialized a couple of the levels.

Just finished Blood Money (for the
first time, great game!) and I'm downloading Absolution (Steam), I know this has probably been talked about too much already, but real quick what is wrong with the disguises and the game in general that has so many fans disappointed? And should I wait for a fix/mod before playing? (I'm in no hurry)

They changed it so you need to use instinct to blend in, otherwise people of the same type (like other police men when you're in their outfit) will see through it. The distance they see is the issue, it's too far right now. I think it's fine if you're playing on Normal and maybe Hard, but Expert and Purist make it brutal.

feel

The actual process of changing it seems easy, but I doubt they want to just slap a bandaid on it since I'd imagine that trainer trivialized a couple of the levels.

They changed it so you need to use instinct to blend in, otherwise people of the same type (like other police men when you're in their outfit) will see through it. The distance they see is the issue, it's too far right now. I think it's fine if you're playing on Normal and maybe Hard, but Expert and Purist make it brutal.
Thank you.

Salsa

oh my god got the DirectX crash when I was about to finish a silent assassin/suit only run on the longest mission ive played so far

this is brutal

Game crashed and I lost 30 hours of playtime I completed it once and was doing my expert run :(

Decided to play it again on normal and get all the challenges done, just turned on the game and saw my save was corrupted again.
That sucks. I started again as well, although I know it may be for nothing. Hopefully there's a patch for consoles coming soon as well.

My memory escapes me sometimes. Has 47 ever been assigned to take out an objectively good person, with no dark underside? Seems like every one of his targets in every game is some type of scumbag. Even Swing King in Blood Money was dealing with gangs and caused several innocent deaths. I suppose a case could be made for Diana, as well, but even she appeared initially to be dealing in something a bit less than on-the-level. But I really don't recall 47 ever having to take out someone really beloved and with no apparent malevolent side. Which, to me, seems antithetical to the idea of an assassin. I think assassin, I think John Wilkes Booth or Lee Harvey Oswald.

Is this just to assuage the player of any sort of potential guilt? How come there's never been a mission where 47 had to, say, take out a beloved politician with lofty goals, and the fee is paid by some scumbag who doesn't want his illegal operations exposed? Amendment XXV in Blood Money was a great level and a great idea, but the VP was still a douche. I'd personally love it if you had to assassinate The President, or someone of that sort of notoriety, who has done no real moral or legal wrong on behalf of someone who is clearly up to no good. 47, at least within the actual assassinations in the games, is essentially a gun for hire who has never truly gotten his hands dirty.

This is one of the reasons why I could never fully wrap my head about the Murder Of Crows level; 47 is assassinating assassins to protect a politician yet the guards lose their shit if *he* does something suspicious and not the bad assassins?

The only time 47 has done something really evil is when he killed that innocent postal worker in Blood Money.

This is one of the reasons why I could never fully wrap my head about the Murder Of Crows level; 47 is assassinating assassins to protect a politician yet the guards lose their shit if *he* does something suspicious and not the bad assassins?

The only time 47 has done something really evil is when he killed that innocent postal worker in Blood Money.
And his bird :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I had a question. Is it me or is the Vault action completely broken? It works 1 time out 10. Really frustrating.

You have to be in cover and hold up towards where you need to vault. It sometimes won't let you if there's something on top of the ledge, but it always works when I needed it to.

You have to be in cover and hold up towards where you need to vault. It sometimes won't let you if there's something on top of the ledge, but it always works when I needed it to.

Strangely enough the broken wall vaults in the Library do not work like this; at least on PC you have to be standing and push towards it for the vault action to become active. But yeah, everywhere else requires cover.

alife

Too bad about disguises not being patched yet.. I don't mind playing Purist mode, it's just boring to have to be Sam Fisher all the time. Why can't I run around in my chipmunk suit, killin' fooos =[

Finished it today, ugh it really got worse and worse, in the end it was jut the game throwing more and more enemies at you in smaller areas.

Can safely say I won't go back and replay the game as I have done with previous hitman games, it was only really satisfying killing the targets for me a very few times and the disguise system is just terrible, the whole instinct feature is terrible and should be removed, sure you can just play without it as they proclaimed but the game is so clearly built around it, why can't i see through key holes? Pffft.

Also a small thing but I really missed the newspapers, looking at a stats screen and having that points counter in everything but purist just didn't give the same satisfaction at all.

t-ramp

I think I might play through Contracts on my PS2 and come back to Absolution when I beat that. I've got a bunch of other games I want to play on my Xbox, too... maybe I'll put off Absolution for a while.

Sojgat

Some thoughts:

-The challenges are great fun, I would have never thought of playing in some of these ways. They help to guide the player towards all the content that might have been obscured (I can also see how many would find this a bad thing).

-The King of Chinatown level is a great quasi tutorial level. It and the preceding first mission (Absolution's actual tutorial level) felt the most like a "proper' Hitman game too me.

-Evidence seems kind of stupid/pointless in this game.

-Those two mini levels where you don't actually do anything annoyed me. As did
having the villains get the drop on 47 in cutscenes
, twice.

-The game really seems to decline in quality during the middle, then gets better again. towards the end, and then the last stage is just awful.

-While I like the art direction, it's a bit heavy handed IMO, giving the impression that all the stages look samey (it reminds me of Hitman: Contracts in that way).

-I actually think the more linear action/escape sequences would be fine in a Blood Money type game where you were given more formal contracts. They would serve much better as rare set piece highlights rather than constant interruptions where the game turns into 2nd rate Splinter Cell.

-All the Arkham Asylum influences like the 20+ enemy soldier stealth sections, checkpoint doors that close off areas you've just come from, and the linearity of many levels are a step in the wrong direction. However as instinct functions in Hard mode (burns up whenever you use it) I actually think it's a cool feature that lets you choreograph more complicated strategies (or it could just make the levels easier design, which would be lazy).

Having played the game a lot now, for me it just doesn't have the same replayability as Blood Money. I'm almost done with it, and I'll probably never touch it again. Whereas with Blood Money I went back to it over and over again for years. Absolution is a really good game, and I can't disagree with all the 9/10 scores it's getting, but overall I'm disappointed because all the improvements made would have been amazing in larger Blood Money style sandboxes.

Jintor

I just thought of one more thing I missed - split-screen shots, multi-camera shots. Remember when the game would push open a new viewing window when important stuff started happening in Blood Money? That shit was so awesome.

MG310

Attack of the Saints pretty much turned into "Throw items against the wall next to a door and choke everyone out as they walk through".

I think I cleared out the entire third area with my Scarecrow Radio combo :D

I have a question. What if I get an SA ranking on my first run on a mission and come back later for further runs in order to complete all the challenges without getting SA in any of them. Will the game still remember my best run (or highest score) or always just the last one?

Just completed the first few sections of Part II. Pacing seemed off in them. Completed them in no time. Didn't really even explore the areas much. Loved the cameos in the bar and gun-store lol.

Some general impressions (playing on Hard, not using Instinct):

- Thank God, Bateman is back. He has some great lines in it so far.

- Liked the VO in the menu from Victoria.

- Areas have lots of detail. Nothing feels too copy-pasted.

- Disguise system is so frustrating. Wearing a cook's disguise in the Chinese New Year lvl? Jesus Christ. Reminded me of the annoying beggars in AC1 they way they ran after you.

Also, wearing the goon's disguise with face-mask during the
orphanage
level? How are they so suspicious even though your face is totally covered? I must have reloaded the checkpoint about 15 times before finally breaking and killing everyone on that lvl the last time my cover was blown.

- Some parts seem impossible to complete without using Instinct. They only way I get around it is by throwing objects to create a diversion.

- Not being able to vault over more obstacles. Mostly only annoyed me on the roof of the Terminal Hotel.

RivalCore

I'm currently at Operation Sledgehammer. Loving the game so far, the detailing around the levels is incredible. Every single object seems to have its place.

Though fuck the disguises, especially in the Motel. Guards being able to spot you 20m away while wearing a balaclava...yeah. It wasn't like that in the previous games was it?

Top Bottom