• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

RevDM

Banned
Is there a reason why? It's not really contributing anything worthwhile to the thread.

ib1usuY48ryOeN.gif

I've contributed a shit load to this thread by watching all the horrible gameplay videos and reporting back. Just because I didn't come back with a bag full of sunshine doesn't mean I'm not contributing

Ciastek3214

Just because the game didn't have the story up to this point doesn't mean it shouldn't try to make a more chesive narrative. I actually enjoy where all the reviews are leading, ending the game with
47 death and Victoria taking his place
would be glorious.

Oh yeah, Victoria and her wireless caffeine injector. I've seen missions 1-12 and she's in maybe 3 cutscenes? Too little to at least establish a character that is supposed to be 47 2.0

Hitman series are supposed to be about this guy who is stone-cold killer, genetically engineered to be perfect killing machine. They had little to no story, and when it was there, it was just so we can have an excuse to kill somebody. This game however goes completely against that, trying to convey emotions in 47 and the player, and it does so badly, in a form of badly acted, badly written cutscenes that just slow down the game and fuck up the pacing. And the story is so sci-fi goofy (it always kinda was, but not to this extent), that it just makes you laugh or at least smile at the goofy characters, and it makes 47 stick out like a sore thumb. It's like you're playing (or watching in that regard) a completely different game.

Yes, God forbid someone decided to change something after 12 years...

DukeBobby

ib1usuY48ryOeN.gif

I've contributed a shit load to this thread by watching all the horrible gameplay videos and reporting back. Just because I didn't come back with a bag full of sunshine doesn't mean I'm not contributing

There's a big difference between providing constructive criticism (like several posters have done) and simply posting a link to a YouTube video and saying 'LOL, look at this'.

RevDM

Banned
There's a big difference between providing constructive criticism (like several posters have done) and simply posting a link to a YouTube video and saying 'LOL, look at this'.

Constructive criticism? Are you serious? Is I/O taking notes on what I'm saying? Because if they were, they would have listened to me last year when I said they are alienating their fan base with this stupid ass SC Conviction clone. The reason why I post "LOL" is because the game is fucking LOL. It's one big fucking joke. The only saving grace will be Contracts mode, which I have yet to see fully explored and why I'm going to wait on cancelling my preorder.

Raptomex

Constructive criticism? Are you serious? Is I/O taking notes on what I'm saying? Because if they were, they would have listened to me last year when I said they are alienating their fan base with this stupid ass SC Conviction clone. The reason why I post "LOL" is because the game is fucking LOL. It's one big fucking joke. The only saving grace will be Contracts mode, which I have yet to see fully explored and why I'm going to wait on cancelling my preorder.
Then why did you pre-order it?

Raptomex

I pre ordered it before I saw the videos.
There's a video walkthrough of Contracts mode from Machinima I saw on YouTube last night. Not sure if you've seen it but maybe you should watch it since Contracts mode is the only thing you seem to consider interesting about this game. I would supply the link but I'm at work.

Yea I won't be spending much time in this thread. I'll report back on the 20th when I've played a few hours.

I'm also going to have my younger brother play the game next week, he played all the Hitman games upon release, but isn't much of a 'gamer.' He played the SC games, Thief games, and Hitman games years ago. It will be interesting to see what someone that isn't tainted by the constant discussion has to say about the game.

RevDM

Banned
There's a video walkthrough of Contracts mode from Machinima I saw on YouTube last night. Not sure if you've seen it but maybe you should watch it since Contracts mode is the only thing you seem to consider interesting about this game. I would supply the link but I'm at work.
Yes I did, need to see more.

Did you watch the 'Run For Your Life' video that was shown over a year ago? If so, wouldn't it have sent alarm bells ringing?
Yes I did, I bitched about it constantly. I preordered the game because I/O insisted that the core elements of the Hitman franchise were still there.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I have cancelled my pre-order from GMG, even thought the game only cost me $23. For those of you who are disappointed with the game, please vote with your wallet and do not buy it.

I told y'all about Blood Money's story on the previous page and you ignored me. Now it's your own damn fault if you can't see why turning 47 into a KILLER HAUNTED BY HIS PAST and PROTECTOR OF CHILDREN is a cliched and boring turn.

Salsa

people hating on this game to the point of trying to convince everyone else to hate it are pretty damn ridiculous, let people enjoy what they want and stop looking down on those who do enjoy it

Ciastek3214

I told y'all about Blood Money's story on the previous page and you ignored me. Now it's your own damn fault if you can't see why turning 47 into a KILLER HAUNTED BY HIS PAST and PROTECTOR OF CHILDREN is a cliched and boring turn.

I find it entertaining. Plenty of fun watching how a series deenies it's own core element, the protagonist.

It doesn't even make sense given the past games, really. Mmmmmeh.

Pandemic

Pre-ordered the game, pretty excited, but that recent PC mag review was pretty straightforward, and had said "many of the assassinations you perform are pre-determined cutscenes in which Agent 47 fails to kill his target, rendering all of your work pointless" which is odd..

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
people hating on this game to the point of trying to convince everyone else to hate it are pretty damn ridiculous, let people enjoy what they want and stop looking down on those who do enjoy it

stoplikingwhatidontlike.jpg

People like to try to convince others into their opinions. I mean I have criticized AC3, but will I make others think like me? Hell no, if they enjoy it, then more power to them!

Also, because people like to think they know a game before playing it. Most gameplay shown has promise, from all reviews, only one has proven average (because a 6 is not a 3 as some like to think), and God forbid to think that reviews aren't anything more than an educated opinion (most of the time).

EDIT: Oh, GAF impressions. Linear levels? Erh, nevermind this post!

DukeBobby

They were fucking awful in that game as well, what's your point?

He probably assumed that because you have a Resident Evil 6 avatar, you must have enjoyed every aspect about the game.

Unless he actually thinks that the QTE's were actually good, in which case he is in the minority (like I am in regards to thinking that Absolution will still be a good game).

Raptomex

He probably assumed that because you have a Resident Evil 6 avatar, you must have enjoyed every aspect about the game.

Unless he actually thinks that the QTE's were actually good, in which case he is in the minority (like I am in regards to thinking that Absolution will still be a good game).
I think Absolution will be a good game.

justjim89

I also enjoyed the Hitman movie. Certainly a bit dumb, but an entertaining Bourne rip-off. And Olyphant was good in it, way too good for that movie. Maybe I'm also one of the outliers in this thread because I enjoy and appreciate efforts to characterize 47 on a deeper level than stone cold killer who was genetically engineered to not give a shit. That's tired and one-dimensional. Perhaps that's the point, him being a bad character.

I also enjoyed the Hitman movie. Certainly a bit dumb, but an entertaining Bourne rip-off. And Olyphant was good in it, way too good for that movie. Maybe I'm also one of the outliers in this thread because I enjoy and appreciate efforts to characterize 47 on a deeper level than stone cold killer who was genetically engineered to not give a shit. That's tired and one-dimensional. Perhaps that's the point, him being a bad character.

Please refer to my earlier posts on the subject to learn why 47's characterization is not the result of laziness, but a deliberate piece of commentary by the developers.

I don't know what I want more, this or far cry 3.

I think Far Cry 3 looks kinda lame to be honest. Really gamey and filled with busywork. But I'm one of those people who loved parts of 2. Even if Absolution turns out bad(which I'm not gonna say it is either way until I play it), Blood Money being my favorite game means that any new Hitman is better than no Hitman.

justjim89

Please refer to my earlier posts on the subject to learn why 47's characterization is not the result of laziness, but a deliberate piece of commentary by the developers.

Just because the levels and locations have character and atmosphere does not mean 47 does. He did in Hitman 2. He appears to in this. In Blood Money, it was barely there.

From looking at those videos, it seems clear (at the moment, I haven't really looked at them in much depth nor do I really plan to due to spoilers) that the game has taken a significant change from Blood Money which is disappointing.

I will wait for more impressions from players and reviews before deciding whether to take the plunge, because the gameplay actually looks really awesome at times but it might not be the game I was eagerly anticipating any more.

But that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it, and a few of the missions look really cool.

squidyj

MMMM.... no, I don't think so, it looks like a great game that's easily going to eclipse it's predecessors. Can't wait.

Ciastek3214

I think Far Cry 3 looks kinda lame to be honest. Really gamey and filled with busywork. But I'm one of those people who loved parts of 2. Even if Absolution turns out bad(which I'm not gonna say it is either way until I play it), Blood Money being my favorite game means that any new Hitman is better than no Hitman.
Let's say the Hitman Absolution turns out to be a complete piece of shit for you. Will you still be saying that?

I'm laughing at some of you guys with how much hate your spreading. I've played it. On the difficulty onee level up from normal. I've had to restart and do parts over and over. It been quite tough.

I will say the quick time figting feels meh, and yes the game is more streamlined a bit when t comes to levels but other then that I'm impressed. All you people that want the same damn game from 6 years ago, go play the older ones. I get so sick and tired of people on one side or the other. You change too much, people bitch, you make it stay the same, people bitch abut lack of innovation. Gimme a break.

I'll be releasing my video review on the 18th, but I'm really enjoying it and I honestly didn't think I would, if that says anything. To each their own of course but the level of hate in here is truly stinking up the place.

I'm laughing at some of you guys with how much hate your spreading. I've played it. On the difficulty onee level up from normal. I've had to restart and do parts over and over. It been quite tough.

I will say the quick time figting feels meh, and yes the game is more streamlined a bit when t comes to levels but other then that I'm impressed. All you people that want the same damn game from 6 years ago, go play the older ones. I get so sick and tired of people on one side or the other. You change too much, people bitch, you make it stay the same, people bitch abut lack of innovation. Gimme a break.

I'll be releasing my video review on the 18th, but I'm really enjoying it and I honestly didn't think I would, if that says anything. To each their own of course but the level of hate in here is truly stinking up the place.

Good to hear your quick impressions. Thanks!

DukeBobby

From looking at those videos, it seems clear (at the moment, I haven't really looked at them in much depth nor do I really plan to due to spoilers) that the game has taken a significant change from Blood Money which is disappointing.

I will wait for more impressions from players and reviews before deciding whether to take the plunge, because the gameplay actually looks really awesome at times but it might not be the game I was eagerly anticipating any more.

But that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it, and a few of the missions look really cool.

I came to terms with the fact that Absolution is significantly different from Blood Money quite a while ago. From watching the early videos, I knew that this was not the Hitman game I'd waited all of these years for. I was disappointed at first, of course, but I felt it was unfair to write the game off because of this. IO have clearly put a lot of effort into this game and they look to have created a great game. Not necessarily a great Hitman game, but a great game nonetheless. I'm pretty sure that I'll really enjoy it, despite it not being the game I wished for 6 years ago.

justjim89

Good to hear some positive impressions. This thread is starting to remind me of /v/. Which was exactly what I was trying to get away from when I joined GAF.

Oh great, another "you people don't like change" argument.

Well if you came back with actually questions for me, I might take you serious. I don't. There are plenty of great positive aspects to this title and just because "It's not exactly like the older games" I hear a bunch of whinning. Go cry to mama.

Top Bottom