• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Just because the levels and locations have character and atmosphere does not mean 47 does. He did in Hitman 2. He appears to in this. In Blood Money, it was barely there.

47's cold emotionless nature was used to great effect in Blood Money and made for some genuinely interesting character moments. The bird was another bit of deception much like the levels themselves, designed to give the impression that 47 has a softer side. When he quietly discards it, his true nature is revealed. Same goes for how he treats Diana, who is supposed to be his closest human contact. When she confides in him that she doesn't believe she'll survive for much longer, he callously replies, "Has my fee been transferred?".

Whether or not 47 needs stronger characterization is debatable, but regardless I feel the direction they're going with Absolution is just dull.

Let's say the Hitman Absolution turns out to be a complete piece of shit for you. Will you still be saying that?

If it's awful, I'm sure I can still find something to like about it. The atmosphere appears to be laid on thick just the way I like it. The graphics are impressive. I love that it appears to filled with incidental dialogue. What someone said about an NPC coming to 47 after finding a corpse because he was dressed like a cop sounds neat.

I came to terms with the fact that Absolution is significantly different from Blood Money quite a while ago. From watching the early videos, I knew that this was not the Hitman game I'd waited all of these years for. I was disappointed at first, of course, but I felt it was unfair to write the game off because of this. IO have clearly put a lot of effort into this game and they look to have created a great game. Not necessarily a great Hitman game, but a great game nonetheless. I'm pretty sure that I'll really enjoy it, despite it not being the game I wished for 6 years ago.

Yeah, i can't say that I'm not feeling bitter because I loved Blood Money and would love a game just like that but it's happened and if I get the game, then I'll judge it on it's own merits as opposed to criticising it just because it's different - which honestly seems to be the basis of the hatred now.

A game doesn't necessarily become shit to me just because the concept has changed up a bit, it has to just be shit.

I hope reviewers don't just base their viewpoint/reviews on this, because that's not helpful to anyone who's on the fence about it's worth as it's own product at all.

Preordered the game a week ago from zavvi.com: it says it comes with a sniper challenge... Am i supposed to get a code by mail or something?

justjim89

47's cold emotionless nature was used to great effect in Blood Money and made for some genuinely interesting character moments. The bird was another bit of deception much like the levels themselves, designed to give the impression that 47 has a softer side. When he quietly discards it, his true nature is revealed. Same goes for how he treats Diana, who is supposed to be his closest human contact. When she confides in him that she doesn't believe she'll survive for much longer, he callously replies, "Has my fee been transferred?".

Whether or not 47 needs stronger characterization is debatable, but regardless I feel the direction they're going with Absolution is just dull.

That's actually a good point, and I suppose you're correct in that. I don't mean to seem down on Blood Money, I love the game. And yeah, he has some great moments in Blood Money. I was entirely wrong there. But it doesn't seem as though he's suddenly a sniveling crybaby in Absolution. He kills Diana, for Christ's sake, though i haven't watched the scene and don't plan on it until I play the game. I think the bird in Blood Money is a good illustration of his personality. He killed it because it represented a threat to his safety and giving away his position. He cares, but prefers to not let it endanger him.

Perhaps that's not well represented in Absolution. I don't know. I'm not going to spoil myself nor will I analyze a story I've yet to see play out fully. If it seems as though they took it too far or poorly represented him, then that is a shame. I'm not above admitting when I'm wrong. Hell, I was a stark defender of Other M til I played the game myself.

*shudders*

That was disappointment. There's no way this game could ever approach that level of soul-crushing defeat.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't know what I want more, this or far cry 3.

Far Cry 3 looks a lot better and more ambitious, even with the few things they dumbed down from FC2.

edit: Cannot roll my eyes enough at the bunch of "whiners/fear of change/stop saying bad things about this game I'm hyped about!" posts in the last page or so.

RevDM

Banned
That's actually a good point, and I suppose you're correct in that. I don't mean to seem down on Blood Money, I love the game. And yeah, he has some great moments in Blood Money. I was entirely wrong there. But it doesn't seem as though he's suddenly a sniveling crybaby in Absolution. He kills Diana, for Christ's sake, though i haven't watched the scene and don't plan on it until I play the game. I think the bird in Blood Money is a good illustration of his personality. He killed it because it represented a threat to his safety and giving away his position. He cares, but prefers to not let it endanger him.

Perhaps that's not well represented in Absolution. I don't know. I'm not going to spoil myself nor will I analyze a story I've yet to see play out fully. If it seems as though they took it too far or poorly represented him, then that is a shame. I'm not above admitting when I'm wrong. Hell, I was a stark defender of Other M til I played the game myself.

*shudders*

That was disappointment. There's no way this game could ever approach that level of soul-crushing defeat.

There's a scene where

He is having flashbacks of shooting Diana and you can tell based on the tone of the music and ambiance of cinematography that 47 is clearly distraught about what happened. He's driving in a car pedal to the metal, steaming mad riddled with guilt

Guys.. Do yourselves a favor and watch this clip. It loads after the cutscene so no spoilers contained.

[*bullshit youtube link*]

Isn't there some kind of rule here against posting that something is spoiler-free if there's a pretty big fucking spoiler in it?

Thanks a fucking bunch man.

Far Cry 3 looks a lot better and more ambitious, even with the few things they dumbed down from FC2.

edit: Cannot roll my eyes enough at the bunch of "whiners/fear of change/stop saying bad things about this game I'm hyped about!" posts in the last page or so.

That's all this thread is is whining, hyperbole, people who haven't played the game losing all hope because others are crying wolf.

If you love this franchise, play it and see how it compares. Don't trust anyone else because you don't know their history with it. That's how I feel about the whole thing at this point.
Isn't there some kind of rule here against posting that something is spoiler-free if there's a pretty big fucking spoiler in it?

Thanks a fucking bunch man.

Hey, he's got to use something to make his case that he was right all along and hates the game. Be weary of any Youtube links posted in this thread.

Derrick01

Banned
Are you reading the same thread as me?

All you people that want the same damn game from 6 years ago, go play the older ones.

Holy bunch of cry-babies in here.

This thread is starting to remind me of /v/. Which was exactly what I was trying to get away from when I joined GAF

I don't know. Am I?

It seems to happen in most OTs that I follow. People find bad impressions from posts or reviews or whatever it is and start to worry about the game, and then a few get very upset that the thread isn't a circle jerk anymore. I don't even have to look back far to find an example because it just happened with AC3. I remember when I was told I was overreacting to those early impressions too, "wait for more Derrick!". And the person who gave the impressions was 100% right and it was a giant shit hole of a game.

DukeBobby

I dunno what spoiler you're talking about? The video loads after the cutscene?

It shows a mission that has yet to be revealed by anybody at IO.

Therefore, it's a spoiler.

I don't know. Am I?

I guess you missed the comment claiming that Uncharted was more of a Hitman game than Absolution. Oh, Sleeping Dogs too.

My favourite though is this gem.

I cannot believe that after hearing about it in the press for a year that Square-Enix was going to squeeze out a turd, reading articles about the density and corn count of said turd, watching big budget trailers showing the turd bombastically fall out of the anus, and then watching youtube videos of this turd splatter onto your bowl, that some of you guys are still trying to convince yourself that it's ice cream.

But who am I to say it's poop? I haven't eaten it yet.

Kikujiro

people hating on this game to the point of trying to convince everyone else to hate it are pretty damn ridiculous, let people enjoy what they want and stop looking down on those who do enjoy it

Obsessed nerds are the same as religious nuts, constantly trying to convince others that they are the only bearers of the truth.

The most amazing thing is that they aren't gonna buy the game, yet they are here shitting on it again and again. I mean, if I'm not interested in a game or I think it will be bad, I share my opinion and move on, I don't need to convince anyone my taste is better. But maybe that's a way for them to feel better about themselves, since it's so important for them, guess they truly are on a mission from God.

RevDM

Banned
It shows a mission that has yet to be revealed by anybody at IO.

Therefore, it's a spoiler.

So one comes into a Hitman Absolution OT and sees a YT link posted about Absolution and is mad for clicking it because the video was about Absolution?

Right. Sounds like you're just going RevDM offense force here.

DukeBobby

It seems to happen in most OTs that I follow. People find bad impressions from posts or reviews or whatever it is and start to worry about the game, and then a few get very upset that the thread isn't a circle jerk anymore. I don't even have to look back far to find an example because it just happened with AC3. I remember when I was told I was overreacting to those early impressions too, "wait for more Derrick!". And the person who gave the impressions was 100% right and it was a giant shit hole of a game.

The thread has been a constant stream of negativity since the first page. I don't recall any sort of 'circle jerk'.

justjim89

There's a scene where

He is having flashbacks of shooting Diana and you can tell based on the tone of the music and ambiance of cinematography that 47 is clearly distraught about what happened. He's driving in a car pedal to the metal, steaming mad riddled with guilt

Doesn't seem entirely outrageous. Perhaps easy to kill her in the moment, but she was his closest and most longtime compatriot. It's bound to get to him. Especially if he was manipulated into doing so, which I don't want to know. He's a cloned human, but he's still a human. It's not like he's never shown regret or discomfort with his work. Hitman 2 started with him retired because he rejected the world of assassinations in an attempt to get closer with God. He only got dragged back into it when a close friend of his was held for ransom. He donated his fortunes to the church. These are all very human emotions.

Odrion

Banned
The thread has been a constant stream of negativity since the first page. I don't recall any sort of 'circle jerk'.
There are people are having fun at the expense of this game being a bland turd of a product and you're being way too serious about it. If you can't find the humor in it or tolerate other people's opinions then that's your problem.

Gbraga

He probably assumed that because you have a Resident Evil 6 avatar, you must have enjoyed every aspect about the game.

Unless he actually thinks that the QTE's were actually good, in which case he is in the minority (like I am in regards to thinking that Absolution will still be a good game).

I really dislike this kind of mentality, I guess I'll just have to stop using avatars of recent games if I want to be taken seriously here, looks like if I don't like the game your avatar comes from, your argument is invalid.

justjim89

It's a poop jerk.

Kindly go away if you're not going to legitimately contribute, please. You've added nothing to this thread but snide remarks and needless cynicism. If you're determined to not enjoy the game, please leave and let the rest of us have our discussion, positive or negative.

I really dislike this kind of mentality, I guess I'll just have to stop using avatars of recent games if I want to be taken seriously here, looks like if I don't like the game your avatar comes from, your argument is invalid.

It's best just to make your avatar something obscure so no one knows where your allegiances are.

Like me and my lovely Shaq Fu avatar.

DocSeuss

Derrick, your skepticism is something I find off-putting, but I am curious how you felt about Far Cry 2.

I'll give the haters this much. Yes it not exactly like your precious previous entries in the series. Though to say because of that it sucks, it's shit because of that, is just silly. It a good game that changes the style of Hitman in ways but still keeps very much the theme and dark overtones of the old games alive. Also the background dialog and conversations you hear are great! :D

Derrick01

Banned

I don't deny it's been more negative than positive as a whole but I'm just saying I can see the same pattern forming. There's always a group that hold their ground and try to chase haters off even if there's legit criticism. The person who was posting their impressions in the AC3 thread a few days before it came out had people trying to downplay what he was saying just because it was negative, I was chastised for posting negative Dishonored impressions post-release. People like to live in their bubble where everything is cheery and safe and to many of them the OTs are supposed to be those bubbles.

DocSeuss said:
Derrick, your skepticism is something I find off-putting, but I am curious how you felt about Far Cry 2.

Loved it despite the couple of problems it had. It was probably as close to something like Stalker as consoles will probably get from a big publisher. It was tough and punishing and had a lot of innovative and cool ideas that were more realistic or sim-like than gamey. FC3 looks like it'll be more gamey with its xp systems and always on mini maps but it still looks like it'll be fun.

DukeBobby

I'll give the haters this much. Yes it not exactly like your precious previous entries in the series. Though to say because of that it sucks, it's shit because of that, is just silly. It a good game that changes the style of Hitman in ways but still keeps very much the theme and dark overtones of the old games alive. Also the background dialog and conversations you hear are great! :D

There are several posters who have provided constructive criticism, yet there are a few who post things like this. If they have nothing better to say, then what is the point of staying in this thread?

Cheers for the impressions. They will probably get ignored though, as they aren't overwhelmingly negative.

I don't deny it's been more negative than positive as a whole but I'm just saying I can see the same pattern forming. There's always a group that hold their ground and try to chase haters off even if there's legit criticism. The person who was posting their impressions in the AC3 thread a few days before it came out had people trying to downplay what he was saying just because it was negative, I was chastised for posting negative Dishonored impressions post-release. People like to live in their bubble where everything is cheery and safe and to many of them the OTs are supposed to be those bubbles.

If it's any consolation, I like that you do this, because as you say, most OTs seem to busy being "BEST GAME EVAR HYPE 120%" mode to actually look at the things we are seeing and finding why someone would have faults with it.

Flaws are okay, every game has flaws, it's okay to discuss flaws. However, if you like what you see and don't find any of the things either Derrick , me, or anyone finds as faulty..well, faulty, then by all means enjoy yourself, but I don't think the discussion of these faults should be muted.

rvy

Banned

Looking forward to trying it for myself, thanks for the impressions.

There are several posters who have provided constructive criticism, yet there are a few who post things like this. If they have nothing better to say, then what is the point of staying in this thread?

Don't get me wrong, if they don't like the more streamlined approach or some of the changes, fair enough. It fine to explain and discuss your displeasure with those changes, but to say those changes make the game a bad game is one thing, to say it's disappointing to see a Hitman change some things you loved about the series is completely different.

I played the game a bunch today. Got pretty far into it too. Got past "The Saints" stuff. If anyonehas any questions ask away. Btw, huge fan of Contracts and Blood Money.

DukeBobby

I wish more of the detractors in this thread were like you, Derrick. At least you back up your criticisms, even though I disagree with what you say. There are a few more level-headed posters, but there are still several posters who are treating the OT like a playground where they can ridicule the game at will, even though their arguments are flimsy, ignorant and sometimes idiotic.

Considering half of RE6 felt like it could have almost played itself, and the fact that I remember from the RE6 OT you like the combat, yet most of the combat had hit detection problem, and bullet sponge enemies waiting to have a command prompt show up on screen I don't understand how you find Absolution's prompt worse considering it doesn't put you in some weird cinematic angle like RE6.

This is not some attack at your avatar, and I do not represent GAF users in general (GAF is not a hivemind).

I just see a dissonance between your possible enjoyment of RE6 but a dislike for QTE when that game is mostly QTE.

I played the game a bunch today. Got pretty far into it too. Got past "The Saints" stuff. If anyonehas any questions ask away. Btw, huge fan of Contracts and Blood Money.

Is Derrick right?

Odrion

Banned
I wish more of the detractors in this thread were like you, Derrick. At least you back up your criticisms, even though I disagree with what you say. There are a few more level-headed posters, but there are still several posters who are treating the OT like a playground where they can ridicule the game at will, even though their arguments are flimsy, ignorant and sometimes idiotic.
Stop sobbing and lashing out at people who made jokes about a game you admittedly lowered your expectations for. The sooner we refrain from throwing insults at each other the sooner we can have some actual discussion on this game and franchise again. And that's what you want, right?

edit: Here, I'll start. Playing Contracts again, I really understand the improvements of level design Blood Money had. There aren't a lot of areas in Contracts where you just get lost in a maze of identical hallways and rooms, but they exist and it's infuriating.

Gbraga

Considering half of RE6 felt like it could have almost played itself, and the fact that I remember from the RE6 OT you like the combat, yet most of the combat had hit detection problem, and bullet sponge enemies waiting to have a command prompt show up on screen I don't understand how you find Absolution's prompt worse considering it doesn't put you in some weird cinematic angle like RE6.

This is not some attack at your avatar, and I do not represent GAF users in general (GAF is not a hivemind).

I just see a dissonance between your possible enjoyment of RE6 but a dislike for QTE when that game is mostly QTE.

But that's really not how it works... You should be setting up your own finishers, the game gives you complete control over the combat options. When you execute a coup-de-grâce, it's not random at all, you just met the requirements for it. If you do a quick-shot and then slide into the enemy, you'll be setting up a coup-de-grâce, they're not random prompts that show up so you can stop shooting.

And I'm not talking about prompts, but QTEs, and RE6's were also horrible and have nothing to do with combat, which was the thing I loved about RE6.

I really want to play this as I loved the last Hitman but the amount of good games out at the moment is absolutely overwhelming.
Borderlands 2, AC3, Black Ops 2, DoA5, The Witcher 2, ME3 (multiplayer) etc... Its too much

But that's really not how it works... You should be setting up your own finishers, the game gives you complete control over the combat options. When you execute a coup-de-grâce, it's not random at all, you just met the requirements for it. If you do a quick-shot and then slide into the enemy, you'll be setting up a coup-de-grâce, they're not random prompts that shows up so you can stop shooting.

And I'm not talking about prompts, but QTEs, and RE6's were also horrible and have nothing to do with combat, which was the thing I loved about RE6.

The problem is the RE6 is design to give the player low ammunition, so going for a melee prompt from doing enough damage doesn't seem like a choice to me (you have to do it eventually). Design wise I guess the game is doing different things, but as a player I feel like they achieve the same "take away control" feel, which from the Hitman video seems to be doing so in spades.

Basically command prompts feel like QTE enough for me to compare it to one.

Gbraga

I really want to play this as I loved the last Hitman but the amount of good games out at the moment is absolutely overwhelming.
Borderlands 2, AC3, Black Ops 2, DoA5, The Witcher 2, ME3 (multiplayer) etc... Its too much

Damn, I only played ME3 of those

Already have Witcher 2 downloaded and waiting for me to finish Sleepings Dogs though

Gbraga

The problem is the RE6 is design to give the player low ammunition, so going for a melee prompt from doing enough damage doesn't seem like a choice to me (you have to do it eventually). Design wise I guess the game is doing different things, but as a player I feel like they achieve the same "take away control" feel, which from the Hitman video seems to be doing so in spades.

I don't think I get what you mean by that, would you please elaborate?

Top Bottom