• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Joeku

You still have 45 hours for The Chef. (Hitmanmaps.com now has a very helpful countdown.)

The one obstacle with a theme park level: you never want to allow 47 to harm kids, for obvious reasons. How do you come up with a theme park with adults only without making it completely unrealistic?

Night-time, some celebrity asshole took it over? Or a rich fraternity bought it out? Both?

Finally got the Intro Pack, super impressed with the depth of the game, I don't think I ever played something as detailed and open-ended in another stealth game. Is this game the best stealth game ever or close?.

Seriously thinking about getting the first season on digital now.

Tuffty

Finally got the Intro Pack, super impressed with the depth of the game, I don't think I ever played something as detailed and open-ended in another stealth game. Is this game the best stealth game ever or close?.

Don't know if you've ever played MGS5 but you might have seen some criticism or suggestions here around the time where people felt like the game would be better if the open world aspect of the game was taken away and instead there were multiple sandbox areas like Ground Zeroes instead, with enough creative level design and depth to each one to warrant repeat playthroughs.

Hitman is that game. It's what I wanted MGS5 to be and I think it's one of the best stealth games of recent times for sure.

TheZink

On PS4 it's super cheap right now.

Joeku

Don't know if you've ever played MGS5 but you might have seen some criticism or suggestions here around the time where people felt like the game would be better if the open world aspect of the game was taken away and instead there were multiple sandbox areas like Ground Zeroes instead, with enough creative level design and depth to each one to warrant repeat playthroughs.

Hitman is that game. It's what I wanted MGS5 to be and I think it's one of the best stealth games of recent times for sure.

Pretty much all of this.

Night-time, some celebrity asshole took it over? Or a rich fraternity bought it out? Both?

Dismaland, then?

"A mysterious artist has created a satirical theme park to criticize the rich and powerful. A billionaire who was the target of the park's mockery wants the artist eliminated while he visits the park."

Or:

"A mysterious artist has created a satirical theme park to criticize the rich and powerful, but a billionaire bought the park and has subverted its message to celebrate wealth and mock the powerless. The artist wants the billionaire eliminated while he visits the park."

Might be a little too convoluted...

Bladelaw

Beat the Chef elusive yesterday night. It wasn't pretty or flashy, and ended with me chasing him down a hallway with a pistol after botching my plan, but I stashed fresh costumes nearby and was able to escape.

I did something similar. It was ugly as hell but here's how it went: (spoilering in case folks want to figure it out on their own)
I started in the Kitchen as a Chef since the opening movie said there were special security exceptions for cooking staff and stashed a lethal injector in the pantry. I grabbed the injector intending to use it on the target but that went out the window. I looked around for the Chef and couldn't find him for a while. I ended up getting caught trespassing in the dressing room and had to run. In doing so I moved some guards unknowingly out of a hallway nearby. The handler says the Chef is moving around the first floor, so I look to change costumes and get a clean shot. In trying to distract a waiter I end up alerting a guard who sends me into Combat. I run into a hall and the Chef just walks into the hallway all by his lonesome. I pull out the ICA silenced pistol, put a bullet in his stupid toque and run. No one saw me pull the trigger (obviously his entourage saw him die) and I run still dressed as a chef around the back of the helicopter and fly away.

That run had no business working but man it felt great to pull it off.

Joeku

Dismaland, then?

"A mysterious artist has created a satirical theme park to criticize the rich and powerful. A billionaire who was the target of the park's mockery wants the artist eliminated while he visits the park."

Or:

"A mysterious artist has created a satirical theme park to criticize the rich and powerful, but a billionaire bought the park and has subverted its message to celebrate wealth and mock the powerless. The artist wants the billionaire eliminated while he visits the park."

Might be a little too convoluted...

I meant "for the night". The target could just be someone who is an adrenaline junkie and the park just added a new, super crazy coaster.

Really I just think there could be a ton of fun kills and things to fuck with and a night-time theme park would look fantastic in this engine.

Stoze

Now that I've sank my teeth in a little more, I wish they did escalations differently. Either just have 2 or 3 instead of 5 or beat the first one and you can skip to the third, beat the third and you could skip to the 5th. Based off the couple I've fully completed they can really mix it up as you go but it's way too repetitive to get there.

Also the audio mixing kinda drives me nuts in this game, I can't get them to where one doesn't feel like it's not drowning out the other. Really could've used more options there.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
omg i hope they let us do 12 more elusives for the rest of the costumes

i tackle levels carefully, reloading / restarting to get it clean

elusives is a fucking mess, and i love it. lots of quick improv thinking.

After mastering Paris yesterday I decided to start the second area Sapienza. I took off instinct and opportunities and also didn't look at the challenges before. Wow, what a level. Had so much fun exploring and trying to figure out what to do without much hand holding.
Ended up using the exploding golf ball to kill one and then disguising myself as the golf coach lover for the other.
Looks like there's a lot of ways to complete this mission though.

As someone who got SA on every mission in BM, and loved it to death, this game is a wet dream.

Paris is overwhelming. Soo many options, and opportunities. I hope the game keeps impressing me this way until the last episode.

When do they unlock? I just failed the chef one =P

Mupod

Yeah next time I play I'm turning opportunities off. It didn't sink in how easy mode they made the game until I used one in Sapienza (
Detective
).

edit: I asked above but nobody answered, how long is the chef up for?

Stoze

Yeah next time I play I'm turning opportunities off. It didn't sink in how easy mode they made the game until I used one in Sapienza (
Detective
).

edit: I asked above but nobody answered, how long is the chef up for?

Another 43 hours or so.

I don't understand how this game has recent reviews as mixed on Steam. I get at first a lot of people were unhappy but even recent reviews?

jiNz4wu.png

This is baffling to me. How can anyone play Hitman like this? 9 hours played and they're complaining because the campaign was short. I only moved on to the second level after 11 hours! Seems like a weird game to just push through the campaign and not replay the levels on, let alone give it a bad review because of it.

Joeku

That's gonna happen when a now-complete story mode literally does just keep you moving from one location to the next.

I'm glad for my own sake I played the episodes as they released.

Prurient

Banned
I have a really dumb, super OCD question... So I attained level 20 mastery on Bangkok, but the progress bar is now stuck halfway, where it should actually be full. I tried completing a mission there again and the bar looks fine at the end of a mission, but still broken on the destination screen. Anyway to fix this? It's so minor and dumb, but it's driving me nuts haha.

Zebetite

Banned
I don't understand how this game has recent reviews as mixed on Steam. I get at first a lot of people were unhappy but even recent reviews?

jiNz4wu.png

This is baffling to me. How can anyone play Hitman like this? 9 hours played and they're complaining because the campaign was short. I only moved on to the second level after 11 hours! Seems like a weird game to just push through the campaign and not replay the levels on, let alone give it a bad review because of it.

the steam reviews for this game are like the most densely-amassed conglomerate of idiocy ever assembled.

Mupod

Cool, I thought my other obligations would prevent me from trying that target but I should have time tonight. I know that map fairly well now, I actually just spent my first attempt exploring and being as methodical as possible. I tried out a lot of random things just to see how AI reacts. Like for example, logically I assumed that NPCs wouldn't like me barging into the washroom behind a target puking his guts out, but nobody cares.

jiNz4wu.png

I mean, at least it's an actual review. I couldn't find one that wasn't bitching about server issues.

How do you stash additional consumes? Just have a fresh body nearby?

You have to take another disguise in order to drop your current one, yeah.

Now that I've sank my teeth in a little more, I wish they did escalations differently. Either just have 2 or 3 instead of 5 or beat the first one and you can skip to the third, beat the third and you could skip to the 5th. Based off the couple I've fully completed they can really mix it up as you go but it's way too repetitive to get there.

Yeah, newer escalations have started using the Wild Card complication regularly (adding guards, removing objects, and changing objectives or targets completely) to make it less repetitive.

Personally I feel like the repetition is a challenge onto itself: it means you're not just trying to finish, you're trying to find a reproducible, fast route that doesn't depend on luck. If my completion time is 10 minutes per level, it feels like I haven't really solved it.

When do they unlock? I just failed the chef one =P

The next elusive target is in Marrakesh and will start some time next week.

Is intel not permanently stored anywhere? I understand why you recollect it during the mission, but I expected to be able to look at those whenever once my mastery hit a certain level or something.

Here's the thing about intel: sometimes there's a piece of intel that you have to collect every time you play the level if you want to use it (like the
evacuation protocol
in Paris), so it can't be permanently unlocked.

Joeku

I have a really dumb, super OCD question... So I attained level 20 mastery on Bangkok, but the progress bar is now stuck halfway, where it should actually be full. I tried completing a mission there again and the bar looks fine at the end of a mission, but still broken on the destination screen. Anyway to fix this? It's so minor and dumb, but it's driving me nuts haha.

I had that same issue on a map, and what I think might have fixed it was getting another challenge completed that would have pushed my level up to a theoretical 21 if there was one.

Not sure, though. Hope it works!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is anyone genuinely still having server issues? I spent August through October in small city Wisconsin on a network connection that got about 2.5 Mbps down and I don't think I had the servers drop on me ever

I get if its an ideological issue for you, totally fair, but as a practical consideration has anyone had any connection issues since, well, since Marrakesh launched? Sapienza was the last time I ever recall having an issue

KingV

I did something similar. It was ugly as hell but here's how it went: (spoilering in case folks want to figure it out on their own)
I started in the Kitchen as a Chef since the opening movie said there were special security exceptions for cooking staff and stashed a lethal injector in the pantry. I grabbed the injector intending to use it on the target but that went out the window. I looked around for the Chef and couldn't find him for a while. I ended up getting caught trespassing in the dressing room and had to run. In doing so I moved some guards unknowingly out of a hallway nearby. The handler says the Chef is moving around the first floor, so I look to change costumes and get a clean shot. In trying to distract a waiter I end up alerting a guard who sends me into Combat. I run into a hall and the Chef just walks into the hallway all by his lonesome. I pull out the ICA silenced pistol, put a bullet in his stupid toque and run. No one saw me pull the trigger (obviously his entourage saw him die) and I run still dressed as a chef around the back of the helicopter and fly away.

That run had no business working but man it felt great to pull it off.

Sounds a lot like mine.

I started as a waiter in the kitchen and slowly started taking out the cooks and the security guard that hang out in that area.

I decided my best bet was to drop a propane tank on the floor and shoot it from a distance with a silenced pistol to see if I could get it called an accident.

Well I misjudged the explosion size and killed his entourage without killing the chef... so I had to run him down and kill him. Then I switched back into a different outfit and hightailed it up the back entrance and left.

I'd be interested in hearing how someone did it really clean. It seemed tough with the entourage.

Stoze

Yeah, newer escalations have started using the Wild Card complication regularly (adding guards, removing objects, and changing objectives or targets completely) to make it less repetitive.

Personally I feel like the repetition is a challenge onto itself: it means you're not just trying to finish, you're trying to find a reproducible, fast route that doesn't depend on luck. If my completion time is 10 minutes per level, it feels like I haven't really solved it.

Wild card sounds neat. I get that, it's about developing your own perfect solution and tweaking it over the course of at least 5 tries. It's just 5 is too much and the ones I've played so far have been essentially me just repeating the same thing twice, switching things up, and then repeating the same things twice again.

Here's the thing about intel: sometimes there's a piece of intel that you have to collect every time you play the level if you want to use it (like the
evacuation protocol
in Paris), so it can't be permanently unlocked.

So far this doesn't seem to be the case.
You can call in code 17 with no intel collected.
Same thing goes with the final test training mission;
dress up as a mechanic and do the jet without intel, dress up as KGB officer and call him into the radio room without intel.

Even if it did work like that consistently, that's why I said I understand why you would have to recollect it. I just want the text stored somewhere so I could look back at them like completed opportunities/challenges. It's not a big deal though.

Hitman is everything I wanted after playing Blood Money all those years ago. Chaos Theory introduced me to the genre, but it was Blood Money made me a lifelong fan of stealth games. Absolution was such a disappointment as a Hitman game; this is the Hitman game I had always hoped for and imagined for years.

The scale of the levels are insane.

I've never once had the game kick me out due to connection issues over 37 hours played. It sucks if it happens, but I have a feeling most of these people are just downvoting the game on principle. I get that it sucks, mostly for the future, but come the fuck on. The game is terrific.

Zebetite

Banned
I've never once had the game kick me out due to connection issues over 37 hours played. It sucks if it happens, but I have a feeling most of these people are just downvoting the game on principle. I get that it sucks, mostly for the future, but come the fuck on. The game is terrific.

It's pretty frustrating to see a Bad Game™ like Absolution handily outsell this one and then wonder what impact the Steam reviews are having on it. I "get" ideological purity more than most, but even I'm willing to ditch it if it means Hitman's no longer a Bad Game™.

Sadly we as a society are stuck with the sorts of individuals who are able to open a negative review with "I've played 40 hours of this game so far and have loved every minute of it" while keeping a straight face.

Phionoxx

Is anyone genuinely still having server issues? I spent August through October in small city Wisconsin on a network connection that got about 2.5 Mbps down and I don't think I had the servers drop on me ever

I get if its an ideological issue for you, totally fair, but as a practical consideration has anyone had any connection issues since, well, since Marrakesh launched? Sapienza was the last time I ever recall having an issue

I got in on the full season this weekend due to the sale price on Steam. Having a lot of fun but I have experienced being dropped from the Hitman servers / kicked to offline mode mid-mission. Although to be fair I am currently stuck with lousy DSL internet averaging about 3 to 5 Mbps down and 1 Mpbs up - so it's very likely that. I bet I wouldn't be seeing the issues with better internet. It also makes navigating the main menu quite slow as it must be pulling from the servers to populate the contracts and elusives. Once in game on a mission the menus are fine though.

The_Balm

I'd be interested in hearing how someone did it really clean. It seemed tough with the entourage.

How SAed it:
His entourage lags behind him for a few seconds when he walks past the bathroom with the waiter on their phone. I coined the waiter into the bathroom and stuck him in the cabinet. Then on the next loop did the same thing with the chef.

TheRed

Picked this up on steam sale. I must say, the graphics don't look crazy impressive in screens and just look nice. But in game in motion I am floored by it, the amount of detail and size of the maps is awesome. The art direction is very nice and slick and consistent. Looks gorgeous in 4K. Can't wait to play all the maps.

MaKTaiL

Also the audio mixing kinda drives me nuts in this game, I can't get them to where one doesn't feel like it's not drowning out the other. Really could've used more options there.
Escalations started out pretty easy in the beginning but as the game progressed they made it more and more difficult. Marrakesh's escalations are a real challange to figure out and Colorado's is one of the hardest to SA.

Elusives won't stop coming. Season 2 will be out next year but they will keep adding Elusives and Escalations to the old maps.

Dalibor68

Banned
killed the chef by
masscaring everyone in the dressing room / cantine / security room without getting spotted and then sniping the chef when hes holding his "speech" in the kitchen, switch uniform and ran away

Nothing special but honestly I couldn't be bothered to be much more creative when we have yet another paris 08/15 ET

Mupod

So you can still get silent assassin with lethal poison kills? I figured that rat poison would be better as you can kill them in a way that nobody notices or finds the body. The downside of course is that there's more work involved and obviously isn't as reliable unless you know exactly what bathroom they will run to.

MaKTaiL

So you can still get silent assassin with lethal poison kills? I figured that rat poison would be better as you can kill them in a way that nobody notices or finds the body. The downside of course is that there's more work involved and obviously isn't as reliable unless you know exactly what bathroom they will run to.

And sometimes they won't go to bathrooms but trash bins instead. Lethal poison counts as an accident.

Stoze

Escalations started out pretty easy in the beginning but as the game progressed they made it more and more difficult. Marrakesh's escalations are a real challange to figure out and Colorado's is one of the hardest to SA.

Elusives won't stop coming. Season 2 will be out next year but they will keep adding Elusives and Escalations to the old maps.

That will probably only make things worse for me as it'll become more time consuming and more likely to fail outside of the 5 times needed to complete it. It's all good though, clearly fully completing all of them is not for me. I didn't realize they retroactively added them either, and had I been there day 1 for each episode I could understand being content starved enough to want to do them 5 times.

That said I don't see what they would lose from a system where you beat it once and then unlock the next two, you could skip to the third if you want or play through the second if jumping ahead is too challenging. Then the same with the 3rd, beat it and unlock 4th and 5th.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, they patched it awhile ago so lethal poison would count for it. Rat poison is safer if you don't know the target is the only one who touches the drink/food.

But what seems to happen with this ET is if you wait by a door and leave once he dies it counts as a body spotted. Probably to prevent cheese with explosives, but damn that sucks to find out this way.

malcher

Is there going to be any difference content wise between buying the full disk version in January vs. buying the full experience now, but only playing it in January? I have a lot of games to play first, but I am thinking about getting the game on sale now to play later. Will the disk version contain something that digital would not in January? Like for example elusives from December being active in disk version, but obviously expired in digital version.

Is there going to be any difference content wise between buying the full disk version in January vs. buying the full experience now, but only playing it in January? I have a lot of games to play first, but I am thinking about getting the game on sale now to play later. Will the disk version contain something that digital would not in January? Like for example elusives from December being active in disk version, but obviously expired in digital version.

The physical version will contain the Requiem Blood Money DLC pack. But you will lose out on the December elusive targets.

Wild card sounds neat. I get that, it's about developing your own perfect solution and tweaking it over the course of at least 5 tries. It's just 5 is too much and the ones I've played so far have been essentially me just repeating the same thing twice, switching things up, and then repeating the same things twice again.

So far this doesn't seem to be the case.
You can call in code 17 with no intel collected.
Same thing goes with the final test training mission;
dress up as a mechanic and do the jet without intel, dress up as KGB officer and call him into the radio room without intel.

Even if it did work like that consistently, that's why I said I understand why you would have to recollect it. I just want the text stored somewhere so I could look back at them like completed opportunities/challenges. It's not a big deal though.

Yeah, a lot of opportunities work without intel. But I saw a lot of people being confused about
code 17
because
the bodyguard won't drop his phone if you didn't read the evacuation plans
? Interesting if it works differently now.

I agree that intel needs an overhaul - right now it's turned into a disorganized dumping ground for every bit of information. I would want to see subcategories, like for example:

Target intel: information about the people you need to kill.
Field intel: information about the location and background characters.
Key intel: information required to perform an action (like safe combinations).

This would enhance the espionage angle, because it feels like you are piecing together information. This could also make it so that all intel except key intel can be stored for post-mission reading.

I think escalations may have proven to be more hardcore than intended - the "Escalating the Situation" challenge was originally "Escalating the Situation I," suggesting that there would have been rewards for completing 20, 30, etc. escalations. I think they probably changed their minds and tied rewards to more approachable game modes.

Another idea: what if objectives were mandatory but complications were optional (like with the challenges in the Arkham games)? That could let them introduce everything in fewer levels, still let you play multiple runs to put everything together, without taking away the full challenge.

Stoze

I agree that intel needs an overhaul - right now it's turned into a disorganized dumping ground for every bit of information. I would want to see subcategories, like for example:

Target intel: information about the people you need to kill.
Field intel: information about the location and background characters.
Key intel: information required to perform an action (like safe combinations).

This would enhance the espionage angle, because it feels like you are piecing together information. This could also make it so that all intel except key intel can be stored for post-mission reading.

I think escalations may have proven to be more hardcore than intended - the "Escalating the Situation" challenge was originally "Escalating the Situation I," suggesting that there would have been rewards for completing 20, 30, etc. escalations. I think they probably changed their minds and tied rewards to more approachable game modes.

Another idea: what if objectives were mandatory but complications were optional (like with the challenges in the Arkham games)? That could let them introduce everything in fewer levels, still let you play multiple runs to put everything together, without taking away the full challenge.

Great post, all of this would be excellent and would remedy my complaints. The fact that a tangible item like a camera lens or party invitation gets put into the same category as a rumor you hear every time you start the level is messy.

I wonder if they'll be able to make any big changes like that come season 2. It seems like everything will abide by the architecture and ecosystem they've laid out, and the focus will be on churning out content rather than significant UI or system changes. I haven't followed the game since release though so maybe they've already done things like that.

Alchemist

On the verge of buying this. Can anyone confirm if The Complete First Season comes with the summer bonus episode? I read that it wasn't available to everyone.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yoooooooo, you mofos didn't tell me how amazing Hokkaido is! It's the most "Blood Money" setting out of all of the episodes so far.

Top Bottom