• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

MaKTaiL

Sometimes I like to watch gameplays from players who are getting into HITMAN 2016 for the first time to see how they like the game. I stumbled into this guy's channel below and.... I've never been so angry at someone in my entire life like I've been after watching the first minutes.

Seriously, how hard is it to follow the tutorial ON SCREEN? He later complains the game is not teaching him anything when it clearly tells him what he is supposed to do. Gamers like him should be banished from the planet. It's even worse then the Giant Bomb guys. At least they can read information on the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR0BFk_I39w

Wait, you can't have the crowd storm the building or something like that? I felt certain that was something you could cause

In retrospect, this is why Marrakesh was a letdown at the start - that was a common expectation and it wasn't followed through on.

There's nothing you can do with the crowd, and the story goes out of the way to explain why creating a riot would be bad. I feel like that must have been written in at some point and the possibility of an actual riot written out.

MaKTaiL

In retrospect, this is why Marrakesh was a letdown at the start - that was a common expectation and it wasn't followed through on.

There's nothing you can do with the crowd, and the story goes out of the way to explain why creating a riot would be bad. I feel like that must have been written in at some point and the possibility of an actual riot written out.

I think they didn't find a way to implement that on the current engine. Maybe it has some kind of limitation for that, inciting a riot like that and moving a bunch of NPCs inside the consulate. Maybe it was too heavy for consoles or even powerful PCs to handle.

I'm only starting to get into this. I want to try and take it slowly and do as much as I can. Is there anything unlocked for completing the feats in the very first yacht tutorial section or just the satisfaction of having completed them?

MaKTaiL

I'm only starting to get into this. I want to try and take it slowly and do as much as I can. Is there anything unlocked for completing the feats in the very first yacht tutorial section or just the satisfaction of having completed them?

Just satisfaction. It's also a very good way to prepare for the real missions starting with Paris.

ActWan

I just got this game on the Black Friday deals for PS4 and damn it's great. Only played the prolouge missions and completed them like 90% so far and started the Paris one, I'm overwhelmed by the size of things and all the options.
I'm playing with opportunities and instinct turned off like I did in Absolution, I think it's a lot better plus all the ways you can kill a target are telegraphed to you pretty clearly while you move on.

You don't have to be disguised as the headmaster. I'm not sure if you can do it after killing the target though. When I did that challenge I switched disguises to find the pictures and then switched back to the headmaster to kill him.

You have to find them before killing him, but it doesn't matter which disguise you're in until you kill him.
Excellent, thanks. I figured that might be the case, but I wanted to be sure in case I was missing something somehow.

I think they didn't find a way to implement that on the current engine. Maybe it has some kind of limitation for that, inciting a riot like that and moving a bunch of NPCs inside the consulate. Maybe it was too heavy for consoles or even powerful PCs to handle.

That kind of scripting already works in the game. If you set off a loud gunshot or an explosion in the fashion show, everyone stampedes out and ends up standing in the garden or out front.

I think the difference is that the fashion show evacuation doesn't really lead to anything.

Warablo

That kind of scripting already works in the game. If you set off a loud gunshot or an explosion in the fashion show, everyone stampedes out and ends up standing in the garden or out front.

I think the difference is that the fashion show evacuation doesn't really lead to anything.

I saw that for the first time the other day and was in awe.

EDIT:
Also, it's kinda crazy that they change mission structures and even do voice over work for these "Elusive Targets" yet can only be played once in a week's span. I hope they eventually open them all up for everyone, maybe have them rotate if you failed the previous one. So you have to try another. Obviously become replayable if you beat them at any time.

^Coming from someone who had intro pack but didn't get into it until recently so I missed every Elusive Target until now.

It'd be cool for Hitman season 2 if they added some sort of way to ghost follow a target, like maybe throw a bug onto them (or their henchman) and get full audio/video of their entire path and dialogue.

Like I did the 1 min ET this week, which is great and all, but I missed out on all the dialogue she has. Watched a few VODs and picked some up but it would be nice getting it all. Some of the elusive targets in the past have had great flavor dialogue if you just follow them around, especially stuff like Gary Busey or The Chef, but with all the guards and cordoned off areas it can be hard to really soak it all in.

Jintor

It'd be cool for Hitman season 2 if they added some sort of way to ghost follow a target, like maybe throw a bug onto them (or their henchman) and get full audio/video of their entire path and dialogue.

Like I did the 1 min ET this week, which is great and all, but I missed out on all the dialogue she has. Watched a few VODs and picked some up but it would be nice getting it all. Some of the elusive targets in the past have had great flavor dialogue if you just follow them around, especially stuff like Gary Busey or The Chef, but with all the guards and cordoned off areas it can be hard to really soak it all in.

Yeah I end up relying on YouTube for that

I followed them all around as an elite soldier for an observation run. Even though two of the soldiers were enforcers this way.

The only real problem was that sometimes you end up stuck on one side of a conversation, and one person is far enough away that their subtitles don't play. I feel like a directional microphone for eavesdropping would be just the right level of gadget for Hitman without turning you into Batman, but I would hate for it to take up a gear slot.

Maybe season two should add a fourth loadout slot for pure reconnaissance items. Microphone, binoculars, a newspaper to let you blend in on any bench.

Oh, right, my elusive run.

I just took the easy SA:
threw a breaching charge down the stairs to distract both soldiers by the drainpipe, climbed up, pushed her over, slid down again. One of the soldiers was still away - I failed to get the other soldier away with my other breaching charge, so I took a chance on dropping down behind him and sneaking past. It worked!

I was sorely tempted to smuggle in an assault rifle right there. That would probably have been the worst idea I've ever had in this game.

I no longer feel bad for taking the "intended" SA opportunity. It feels like these newer elusives are designed with one "easy" SA solution, if you can get to it in the first few minutes of the mission.

LordAmused

Game is currently on sale on Steam, currently debating if I should buy it or not. How does it run on PC? (Got I5 4690+GTX970+16GBRam)

Stoze

I followed them all around as an elite soldier for an observation run. Even though two of the soldiers were enforcers this way.

The only real problem was that sometimes you end up stuck on one side of a conversation, and one person is far enough away that their subtitles don't play. I feel like a directional microphone for eavesdropping would be just the right level of gadget for Hitman without turning you into Batman, but I would hate for it to take up a gear slot.

Dishonored has a great solution for this, a scope/lens that zooms in and increases the volume on the particular spot you zoom into it. Coming into this game and realizing that audio is based off the camera position rather than agent 47, I was kinda surprised they didn't implement something like that.

Dishonored has a great solution for this, a scope/lens that zooms in and increases the volume on the particular spot you zoom into it. Coming into this game and realizing that audio is based off the camera position rather than agent 47, I was kinda surprised they didn't implement something like that.

If you hold the aim button while not wielding anything aimable or throwable, you can actually zoom in and it does increase conversation volume, and tune out ambient noise.

Still no subtitles, though.

Stoze

If you hold the aim button while not wielding anything aimable or throwable, you can actually zoom in and it does increase conversation volume, and tune out ambient noise.

Still no subtitles, though.

That's true, I forgot about that. It's pretty subtle though compared to in Dishonored where it's like a sniper rifle that eavesdrops, and I think it has proper subtitles as well.

I do think it would be cool to have like eavesdropping bug or binoculars in this game though.

Jintor

the absolute easiest SA for the elusive for me I found was
drop the sign on her
. It takes a while for her to random into it though

Gjerven

The chef in Paris was my first ET and I failed that hard. So this time I took no chances.
Smuggled in a silenced sniper on the west bazaar rooftop, and took it to the top. First time when I saw her I got in position and only saw the hat and took the shot. Make my way out of there only to realize I killed a civilian with same type of hat. Restarted and this time I hit her when she stood in a nearby alley. Went into combat mode right away. Stressed and panicked for 5 seconds before I changed into the nearby handyman outfit and made my way out.

I feel like I'm somewhat competent in the game (mastered Paris/Sapienza, level 15 in Marrakesh), but the stress after successfully killing the ET is hard to control.

MaKTaiL

The chef in Paris was my first ET and I failed that hard. So this time I took no chances.
Smuggled in a silenced sniper on the west bazaar rooftop, and took it to the top. First time when I saw her I got in position and only saw the hat and took the shot. Make my way out of there only to realize I killed a civilian with same type of hat. Restarted and this time I hit her when she stood in a nearby alley. Went into combat mode right away. Stressed and panicked for 5 seconds before I changed into the nearby handyman outfit and made my way out.

I feel like I'm somewhat competent in the game (mastered Paris/Sapienza, level 15 in Marrakesh), but the stress after successfully killing the ET is hard to control.
Take your time with the Elusives. Most of them you can scout for hours with a safe disguise. They are designed with a clear SA strategy on mind. In this week's case you could get her in two different ways. While she is on top of the building and while she is walking below the café's sign for an easy accident kill. For the Chef you could easily get him with poison or while he was walking past a bathroom. I understand you couldn't take any risks though but if anything happens you can easily restart and try again (before killing her of course).

Metal-Geo

Felt like speedrunning, taking out the Angel of Death.
There's just enough time to start at the school as a soldier; skip the intro animation; run towards the side of the headmaster's building; wait for the two soldiers to stop chatting; knock the one out next to the drainpipe; climb up the drainpipe and walk to the old hag. There's about a 4 seconds window here to kill her before the two soldier are up the stairs. I managed to push her over the wall for an accidental kill. The timing of everything is so perfect that I'm certain it was intentionally set up.

Game is currently on sale on Steam, currently debating if I should buy it or not. How does it run on PC? (Got I5 4690+GTX970+16GBRam)
I used to have a 4670k and 760 and it ran pretty well, usually around 60 fps at 1080p, though not at max settings I think. I imagine it'll run great on your specs.

I run on a 970 at 1440p with a gSync monitor and zero problems, get 60+ fps pretty solid most of the time using the nvidia recommended settings with DX11. Put nearly 150 hours into the game and its my GOTY.

Moff

I think that was a relatively hard elusive, often you can simply poison them and that's it

I am such a coward when it comes to elusives, I always just subdue them first, and if everything is clean I kill them. did that here, too, but somehow I still got a "body found", I never saw that happening, so no SA for me :(

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Just finished planning out my escape plan (came in as a waiter for the private club, knocked out an army guard for their suit, climbed the pipe and took out the security expert and her guard on the roof, baited a shopkeep and took his outfit. plan is to finish the mission like this and go backwards in my process and out the employee entrance of the private club) and happened to stumble upon her wandering around the market. Had to take a break to collect myself and then start surveying her patterns next.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Huh I started as a waiter, went to the bathroom and climbed up the roof but I don't see her. Just a young woman & a soldier.

Moff

Huh I started as a waiter, went to the bathroom and climbed up the roof but I don't see her. Just a young woman & a soldier.

that's the wrong roof
she is in the building which connects the orignal starting location with the military compound (school)

after she leaves there, she is never going to a secluded location again

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
that's the wrong roof
she is in the building which connects the orignal starting location with the military compound (school)

after she leaves there, she is never going to a secluded location again

hmm can i get there via the bathroom i mentioned?

i like solving the levels myself but timed missable cosmetics test my resolve...

Moff

i like solving the levels myself but timed missable cosmetics test my resolve...

I don't think so no, I think there are only 2 ways in, a drainpipe behind the roof that leads inside the military compound and is guarded and the normal entrance which is guarded as well

you also got plenty of time left

Video linked above is the absolute fastest way to do it, can get it down to like 25-40 secs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpgZKbZgSeU

You may have to restart if she is not peeking out when you get to the spot, its random whether she starts looking out or walking around on the roof. If you wait a bit she also peeks out but you may have a soldier next to you.

I did it this way and its incredibly tense since there is a female seller who likes to walk up and talk to you, and two patrolling soldiers, plus the randomness of the target on whether she is in the right spot when you get to it. It took me 4-5 restarts before everything aligned at the 30 second mark, and even then it was pretty tense getting away - be sure to immediately swap to a different item (coin, etc) after the shot since you are surrounded by people.

Well, that was an easy Elusive Target. Got Silent Assassin in 11 minutes and barley did anything.
I started on the mattress store rooftop and waited til I saw her. After a couple of times of her walking back and forth in the market area she went into the café and I shot the sign and it fell down on her. I changed to the shopkeeper outfit placed on the roof and headed to the exit.

Mupod

Well, a new CPU (went from 2500k to 6700k) fixed my old sound stuttering problem. Now I can even play in Marrakesh without the game's sound going to shit. Can crank the supersampling and other settings too.

So, beat S1 took me about 23ish hours just for a blind playthrough.

Pretty good tbh, since BM took me about 18ish, then another 30-40 hours of replaying levels to get SA rank, exploring etc. I love BM, I have probably replayed that shit too many times to count.

This has the same exact feel only even better. I mean really I cannot stop comparing it to BM because it is a sequel, a true Hitman sequel. It feels great, it's wonderful even with the distracting English voices everywhere.

I can't wait to go back through for mastery and gadgets, and I am so onboard for S2 but I will probably wait until it finishes. I hate piecemeal.

I will say that this game definitely beats out BM, and that is with a single season and I haven't touched escalations or contracts mode.

This is the best Hitman game by and large.

messiaen

Just picked this up on the GameStop deal last week. Was a little hesitant because of performance complaints I've read about. So far, so good on that front...but holy shit. This is an incredible, I play a bit of it at launch on a friend's computer.

Went back and played Absolution recently and coming back and really experiencing 2016 really made me realize how brutal Absolution was. The game really was a mess--I guess as a fan of the series I was happy to play another Hitman game, but after playing 2016, I have to say, Absolution was a massive misstep. You can see it meant well, but god damn did it execute poorly.

Also happy to see the coin back. I remember loving that in Blood Money. Really looking forward toward playing the rest of the game as a long time fan, really, really happy with this. Even the addition of the challenges is great. Gives you a little more direction instead of aimlessly exploring the level like in the older games.

Can someone explain to me how to accomplish an explosive device kill in "Explosive Secrets" and still score SA?
Yesterday I had no problem with it, managed 1:58 and today I shortened it down to 1:47 but the kill gets noticed every time. Odd.

Can someone explain to me how to accomplish an explosive device kill in "Explosive Secrets" and still score SA?
Yesterday I had no problem with it, managed 1:58 and today I shortened it down to 1:47 but the kill gets noticed every time. Odd.

The contract maker explained the trick on another site:

He makes you bring three specific weapons in order to force you to use a loud explosive device, which will bring guards to investigate. As a result, the intended way to avoid Body Found is to blow the target off the balcony with the explosion, so that the body can't be found.

But there is also an unintended solution if you manage to exit the level before the investigating guards find the body.

MUnited83

For you.
You might need to position the body of the guard in a different way so it doesn't get noticed by the people looking in that direction. Also, detonate the explosive a little bit before exiting, as exiting in the exact moment you blow up someone can sometimes ruin Silent Assassin.

The contract maker explained the trick on another site:

He makes you bring three specific weapons in order to force you to use a loud explosive device, which will bring guards to investigate. As a result, the intended way to avoid Body Found is to blow the target off the balcony with the explosion, so that the body can't be found.

But there is also an unintended solution if you manage to exit the level before the investigating guards find the body.
The guards by chopper become alert after the explosion and there's no way they'd be able to find the body as I'm mashing Y to escape in the chopper. It just seems a bit random to me. I'll try and upload a video later.

You might need to position the body of the guard in a different way so it doesn't get noticed by the people looking in that direction. Also, detonate the explosive a little bit before exiting, as exiting in the exact moment you blow up someone can sometimes ruin Silent Assassin.
Hmm, that might be it. I always skip the fly by after completion and escape a split second after the getaway.

Edit:
Thanks BernardoOne, that worked.
hitman_2016_12_03_21_kikxa.jpg

MUnited83

For you.
The guards by chopper become alert after the explosion and there's no way they'd be able to find the body as I'm mashing Y to escape in the chopper. It just seems a bit random to me. I'll try and upload a video later.

Hmm, that might be it. I always skip the fly by after completion and escape a split second after the getaway.

Edit:
Thanks BernardoOne, that worked.
Neat, I always like when times end in 47. Also, that might be the fastest time I've seen yet, congrats!

Man I got so bored looking for this lady when I finally found her with her guards right next to that gate exit I just pulled out my silverballer and shot all 3 of them and exited the level, SA be damned.

Reven

That was my first elusive contract and I screwed it up in the stupidest way. There's a puddle electrocution trap you can setup right outside the carpet shop and I was doing that but forgot to turn off the power first and immediately died when I did it lol.

Top Bottom