• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Got around to playing Landslide. I have to say, I was not expecting
the custom death/animation for shoving him off the top of the bell tower. That was a pleasant surprise that got a laugh out of me.
That was so brutal, the first time I did it I was taken aback.

PSN full experience user here. Haven't gotten an email for the soundtrack and documentary. Has it gone to spam for anyone else? Is there a way to claim it otherwise?

Roscoe182

PSN full experience user here. Haven't gotten an email for the soundtrack and documentary. Has it gone to spam for anyone else? Is there a way to claim it otherwise?

is your account linked ??
i only got the season pass like a week ago and the email was waiting for me as soon as the patch hit. wasn't in my spam was in my main email.

Trouble

Banned
That was so brutal, the first time I did it I was taken aback.

Sonofa. I totally missed it because my dumb ass
dragged the priest up to the tower not realizing that's where the opportunity was heading. I just choked him out and disposed of him over the edge which gave me the challenge

They did a really good job with the third bonus mission, every building feels totally different inside

My favorite so far is the lawyer's office with its many new blend-in spots.

That opportunity also tried something new which was exactly what I had been waiting for:
you meet with a guy who would see through your disguise, so you have to use blend-in spots strategically to dance around the room to get close to him.

It would have been even cooler
if you had to stay close to him, and he kept turning around and forcing you to use new blend-in spots
. That would probably have been too hard for an opportunity, though.

I also hoped that this opportunity would have you
"blending in" by standing behind objects that conveniently blocked your face, just for the silliness

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got around to playing Landslide. I have to say, I was not expecting
the custom death/animation for shoving him off the top of the bell tower. That was a pleasant surprise that got a laugh out of me.

I think I heard NPCs in the level actually sort of notice and mention it as I walked around, lol.

He has always
sampled a different dish each time he passes through the restaurant. People always did the poison as the first thing in a run because it's not actually random, so you always know which one he would sample first.

I found that it's actually pretty thoughtful which NPCs were made enforcers and for which disguises. In Paris, most low-tier disguises don't have to deal with many new enforcers, except certain guards near a handful of key locations. Helmut Kruger, on the other hand, gets a ton of enforcers added - this means you'll only be using him for one or two runs, so you're only dealing with the gauntlet once or twice as a special challenge.

When it's based on risk vs. reward, I think it works. Still need to put time into the rest of the levels to see how much that holds true.

Yeah, honestly, this is what I love. There are no more Universal Key/No Enforcer disguises like Kruger anymore. Anyone who would regularly be around him is able to tell that 47 isn't Kruger, instead of 47 being the magical long-lost-twin.

I want a carnival fairground that takes place at night, sort of like the abandoned one you see in the tutorial in Blood Money. A bunch of people, the sound of games and amusement park rides, a (returning) clown costume, being able to tamper with a ride and kill the target (with front page collateral) etc. Though I guess this would involve children and wouldn't fly.

Maybe season 2 will have more outlandish scenarios? I doubt it though...

Heh, what I would want for Season 2 is a place like a Mall or office highrise.

In the case of the latter... Have we had any Opportunities that involved an elevator accident?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

In the case of the latter... Have we had any Opportunities that involved an elevator accident?

Blood Money is littered with the corpses I pulled through the little door on top.

I do think an Amusement Park would be amazing but like what I saw people say to me last time is that kids might get in the way of making it happen. Dunno though.

Damn, a mall would be amazing.

I think we definitely need another suburbia playground in season 2.

Edit: Cruise ship would be fun too

Spent 2 hours tonight just messing around making contracts and doing stuff in the Prologue mission. Already it feels like Hitman, and if the rest of the levels are just bigger sandboxes I can't wait to really dive into this.

All these level ideas remind me of the Cool Ghosts video on Hitman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-muSM6_0g

The most important point they made was that Sapienza worked because the setting was not "normally non-intriguing place with something weird happening that needs explaining" (as was the case with episodes 3 and 5 to their detriment, I think), but "place that needs no explanation to be intriguing". Everything weird in Sapienza naturally fits (except the biolab) in the setting, so no "narrative real estate" is wasted explaining why there's an observatory with a plague doctor outfit (ingeniously, I don't think a single NPC said a single line about those things).

Marrakesh and Colorado were set in relatively mundane locations that have exciting stuff happening, but that means we end up spending most of the level hearing about how things got to be this way. Paris and Sapienza on the other hand were about the story that develops while 47 is in the level: What happens when Novikov comes face-to-face with various key characters? What happens when Francesca discovers how deep Silvio's plans go?

So for season two I hope IO will continue to focus on intriguing settings that need minimal explanation, not "setting A with incongruous B happening". Don't have, say, a shopping mall that has been overrun by a local prison break or an amusement park that has been rented out for the day by a religious cult.

Greedings

How do you all play this game?

I've basically been trying to do challenges for each mission, then moving onto another mission when I get bored and/or frustrated.

I normally do my first couple of runs of a mission without save scumming, then after that I save scum as much as I want. I wish I could stop save scumming though, it takes away a lot of the fun.

When I first do a mission I follow all of the opportunities. It holds your hand so it's not challenging, but the scenarios are fun and it helps you learn the levels.

Once I've done all of the opportunities and I know the levels better, that's when I go for the harder challenges that don't offer guidance. By this point I know enough to be able to experiment and come up with my own plans.

It works really well from a game design and fun/challenge perspective.

When I first do a mission I follow all of the opportunities. It holds your hand so it's not challenging, but the scenarios are fun and it helps you learn the levels.

Once I've done all of the opportunities and I know the levels better, that's when I go for the harder challenges that don't offer guidance. By this point I know enough to be able to experiment and come up with my own plans.

It works really well from a game design and fun/challenge perspective.

This is my exact strategy as well.

Stoze

All these level ideas remind me of the Cool Ghosts video on Hitman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-muSM6_0g

The most important point they made was that Sapienza worked because the setting was not "normally non-intriguing place with something weird happening that needs explaining" (as was the case with episodes 3 and 5 to their detriment, I think), but "place that needs no explanation to be intriguing". Everything weird in Sapienza naturally fits (except the biolab) in the setting, so no "narrative real estate" is wasted explaining why there's an observatory with a plague doctor outfit (ingeniously, I don't think a single NPC said a single line about those things).

Marrakesh and Colorado were set in relatively mundane locations that have exciting stuff happening, but that means we end up spending most of the level hearing about how things got to be this way. Paris and Sapienza on the other hand were about the story that develops while 47 is in the level: What happens when Novikov comes face-to-face with various key characters? What happens when Francesca discovers how deep Silvio's plans go?

So for season two I hope IO will continue to focus on intriguing settings that need minimal explanation, not "setting A with incongruous B happening". Don't have, say, a shopping mall that has been overrun by a local prison break or an amusement park that has been rented out for the day by a religious cult.

Good post. I think this is why Hokkaido is a big favorite as well, as its also inherently intriguing, unique, and it melds the weirder aspects like the high-tech hospital and tagged outfits into realistic environmental design so they don't feel out of place.

My dream level for Season 2 would be a giant tech company that parallels/satirizes something like Amazon or Google. You could kill targets by hacking a self driving car when they're in it and drive them into a wall or off a cliff, or by tampering with Boston Dynamics esque robots in the R&D department that go crazy, or fly a drone in for the kill, etc.

CloudWolf

Blood Money is littered with the corpses I pulled through the little door on top.

I do think an Amusement Park would be amazing but like what I saw people say to me last time is that kids might get in the way of making it happen. Dunno though.

Yeah, it's a shame they stopped building those hatches in elevators.

Majora

I feel like it'd be pretty easy to do a fairground type level without having children involved. I mean, for starters you could just straight-up ignore the issue and only have adults there. Would anyone really care? I mean, there are already no kids in the whole of Sapienza or the Bangkok hotel when it's likely that there would be if we were being realistic.

If you demand some type of narrative justification, just have it set at night as some kind of adults only event. Or have a rich dude hire it out for his son's 18th birthday party. Or do a late-night Halloween opening which is 18+ only. All quite mundane stuff that doesn't require a lot of NPC explanation.

There are very few potential scenarios I feel like you need to abandon because of the likely presence of children.

RaginRoss

How do you all play this game?

I've basically been trying to do challenges for each mission, then moving onto another mission when I get bored and/or frustrated.

I normally do my first couple of runs of a mission without save scumming, then after that I save scum as much as I want. I wish I could stop save scumming though, it takes away a lot of the fun.

So far i've been disabling Opportunities for my first attempt at a level and finishing it however I can.

I'll then replay with them enabled and complete all those, before going for the more advanced challenges until I hit full mastery for that level.

Greedings

I'm not really liking Marrakech so much. Maybe there's a way to get the targets to leave their respective bases, but right now I feel like I'm just getting a guard outfit and walking into there locations.

Not so much fun. Maybe I should try suit only.

Steam downloaded a 2.4 GB file/update(?). Does anyone know what it is exactly? (I already had the January update)

Edit: hmm seems to be the OST and Documentary.

I have a really dumb question. How do I trigger opportunities once they are created? The target typically stays on their standard path anyway...

Skyzard

Banned
About the harder difficulty mode - does it solve the issue of just running past everyone?

I remember on the Paris map with the 2nd level security guards upstairs that guard the stairs, after taking care of things I can just run past both of them at the stairs when coming down, even though one has a white dot on his head.

Will they chase you faster/longer or be more aggressive?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
About the harder difficulty mode - does it solve the issue of just running past everyone?

I remember on the Paris map with the 2nd level security guards upstairs that guard the stairs, after taking care of things I can just run past both of them at the stairs when coming down, even though one has a white dot on his head.

Will they chase you faster/longer or be more aggressive?
White dots notice you little quicker and seem to have better perhiperal vision I think. Took me a while to get past the bodyguards this time around.

Skyzard

Banned
White dots notice you little quicker and seem to have better perhiperal vision I think. Took me a while to get past the bodyguards this time around.

Thanks, that should work, will try it out later today. That was one of the things that really made me want a higher difficulty.

justjim89

Man, it's a shame how badly they fucked up Professional mode. I loved the idea of it, and was really excited but it's so bad. It feels like the worst parts of Hitman 2 or even Absolution where your failings don't even seem like your own fault so much as the game having it out for you. With only one save, having to replay the same parts of these missions you've already played over and over again, but now with exponentially more points of failure, is driving me insane. Because now there's an additional objective in each mission to delete the footage if you want Silent Assassin, because you will get spotted on camera.

How in the hell are you supposed to delete the security footage in Bangkok now? One enforcer guard outside, one inside, two other guards inside, and two cameras pointed right at the evidence computer? I can't even find a good angle to shoot the god damn thing from without getting spotted by someone. It's infuriating.

That's not even getting into the fact that you have to do every challenge to get full mastery, which means 10 or more runs, and even when you do the rewards are bullshit.

I might just be done until season two is announced. I got my winter suit, I got 130 hours in the game, I've gotten my $60 worth.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
My DLC list now mentions Digital Bonus Content which is not yet installed (update downloading). I assume it's that for soundtrack and documentary.

Anyone with a small download cap may want to uncheck that.

Ah thanks for the heads up.

I'm not really liking Marrakech so much. Maybe there's a way to get the targets to leave their respective bases, but right now I feel like I'm just getting a guard outfit and walking into there locations.

Not so much fun. Maybe I should try suit only.

I always play a new level with opportunities off and focus on the Intel. But in the case of Marrakech (and Colorado) I turned them on to minimal as I felt the levels were massive.

The level is great this way. Try the camerman opportunity, and the street printer one.

Foffy

Banned
For those that have played Professional deeply, are any of the hits available on Normal not possible to do? I know the mode only picked 20 for each location, but I was curious if they removed any options that weren't Challenges.

For those that have played Professional deeply, are any of the hits available on Normal not possible to do? I know the mode only picked 20 for each location, but I was curious if they removed any options that weren't Challenges.

At the very least, some of the omitted assassination challenges couldn't be done with SA on professional difficulty.

I know you could no longer do I'm On Fire with SA because
Caruso is now carrying the safe combination.

justjim89

Some are just harder to do, seemingly impossible. I still can't figure out how the fuck to do the Helmut Kruger opportunity.

Some are just harder to do, seemingly impossible. I still can't figure out how the fuck to do the Helmut Kruger opportunity.

It's not that hard, you just need to abandon the SA mindset. Knock him out when the guards have their back to you, put on his clothes and grab the cell phone, then run. His body will be found but that won't screw up the challenge.

justjim89

It's not that hard, you just need to abandon the SA mindset. Knock him out when the guards have their back to you, put on his clothes and grab the cell phone, then run. His body will be found but that won't screw up the challenge.

I know that. I meant it's now impossible to do it silently.

Here's how I do it and get SA:

- Go to the phone call spot by circling around from the opposite side of the helicopter so that you don't trigger the phone call and don't trigger the conversation with the guards by the shed (which sends one more bodyguard into the area once it finishes). Grab the wrench on the way if you don't have a melee weapon.
- Knock out only the guard patrolling on the grass side of the dividers while he is next to the dividers and no other guards are nearby or looking. Drag him up close behind the dividers and as far back from Helmut's phone call spot as you have time for.
- Now go near Helmut to trigger his phone call. He should not notice the body you dragged. It will just be a matter of time until he's standing there with all guards looking away.
- Drag Helmut up close behind the dividers in the same way.

This doesn't require finesse or rushing, and it should always work.

Top Bottom