• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

I'm not so sure why people are obsessing with getting the Helmut disguise for SA. Just for the challenge of it?

Because the disguise is severely nerfed on pro difficulty.There are now multiple people who can see through the disguise. In fact on Pro, the best disguise in Paris is the Auction staff one which you can easily get with the Piano knockout and then use a nearby pipe to avoid being frisked.

The most straightforward SA run in Paris is get the auction staff disguise>poison Dalia>kill Victor in the bathroom. There is almost zero chance of failure.

I want to make a comment about the sound engine. You can't notice most of the times, but it's pretty advanced.

But you can see it (well, hear it) in the Landslide mission. You can hear how she sounds different when you are in front of her in the crowd, directly behind her, behind her but with the water wall in between, and in the nearby streets before reaching the plaza.

With the latest update to this game, I got a notification about HDR. The game looks extremely washed out, and when I use the gamma setting that asks me to make the gray square almost invisible, it is always visible. I wound up disabling HDR.

I have a KS8000. Does anyone know what the deal is?

How are you supposed to get the evacuation phone from Novikov's bodyguard? I tried poisoning the food he tastes but now he goes off in another direction and gets sick in a trashcan instead of going to the bathroom. And he can see through pretty much every disguise so not really sure how to get to him.

Ladekabel

What do I have to do to not make the Banker and the General meet? I have done Cherry Blossom and Honeywomb opportunities and the Swedish guy waits in the oil puddle but right before the general arrives he leaves and the general turns around at the top of the last stairs.

Mathi

How are you supposed to get the evacuation phone from Novikov's bodyguard? I tried poisoning the food he tastes but now he goes off in another direction and gets sick in a trashcan instead of going to the bathroom. And he can see through pretty much every disguise so not really sure how to get to him.
He still goes to the bathroom sometimes, but I have no idea what triggers it. I replayed Paris a couple of times this weekend on professional difficulty and half the time he would go to the trashcan instead of the bathroom after eating the poisoned food.

You could easily take out the security guard while the bodyguard is by the waste basket. Just make sure the av tech and model down the hallway are done chatting. You could leave or hide their bodies by the nearest rest room and no one will notice.

BTA

Did the Elusive last night and I'm surprised my incredibly foolish plan worked.

I just threw the explosive duck at the line of models and everything went fine. Felt sorta cheap because it was the preorder bonus one, not unlocked, but whatever.

I'm a little sad the next one's on Hokkaido. I probably won't have beaten enough of the story missions by then to really try it.

What do I have to do to not make the Banker and the General meet? I have done Cherry Blossom and Honeywomb opportunities and the Swedish guy waits in the oil puddle but right before the general arrives he leaves and the general turns around at the top of the last stairs.

You just have to do everything faster. Strandberg waits longer than Zaydan, so that's all the time you have.

Did an alarm get set off somewhere? That might spontaneously cancel the event.

Ladekabel

You just have to do everything faster. Strandberg waits longer than Zaydan, so that's all the time you have.

Did an alarm get set off somewhere? That might spontaneously cancel the event.

Even then Zaydan should have kept going to the meeting point. But I did it. This time I stayed in my hiding spot and did not change position.

Roussow

So I got Mastery 20 on Paris, thinking about hitting up Hokkaido second, just because that fucking 3x zoom sniper looks so god damn cool. Although it seems like it's not going to be as easy. Or would you recommend getting mastery in release order? Also -- I haven't really touched escalations, do they help with mastery level?

Demoskinos

Yeah, not sure what triggers him going to the trash can instead of the bathroom. That *should* work most of the time and its by far the easiest way to nab him.

Oreoleo

So I got Mastery 20 on Paris, thinking about hitting up Hokkaido second, just because that fucking 3x zoom sniper looks so god damn cool. Although it seems like it's not going to be as easy. Or would you recommend getting mastery in release order? Also -- I haven't really touched escalations, do they help with mastery level?
Most escalations give 5000 points after finishing the 5th escalation, so it can help with mastery, but it's not as efficient as just doing opportunities and challenges.

Hokkaido is a relatively easy map when you get a hang of it and the challenges are cool so you could probably do it first.

On one hand, mastery unlocks matter less for Hokkaido level 20 than for any other level because your loadout is disabled anyway until you reach level 20.

On the other hand, Hokkaido is much harder if you don't have an unlock from Colorado level 15 (which can still be smuggled in). And Colorado is incredibly hard without unlocks and experience from earlier levels... and by then you might as well be doing all of them anyway.

Even though escalations give XP, a lot of them assume you have higher-level mastery to unlock starting points - otherwise you will be wasting a ton of time just getting to the correct locations.

On one hand, mastery unlocks matter less for Hokkaido level 20 than for any other level because your loadout is disabled anyway until you reach level 20.

On the other hand, Hokkaido is much harder if you don't have an unlock from Colorado level 15 (which can still be smuggled in). And Colorado is incredibly hard without unlocks and experience from earlier levels... and by then you might as well be doing all of them anyway.

Even though escalations give XP, a lot of them assume you have higher-level mastery to unlock starting points - otherwise you will be wasting a ton of time just getting to the correct locations.

Huh? Which unlocks would be essential for Colorado? I played it episodically so I may be forgetting something but I don't think there is anything that useful you can take with you apart from the poison vial for the poison kills challenge. And a sniper for the sniper kill.

Huh? Which unlocks would be essential for Colorado? I played it episodically so I may be forgetting something but I don't think there is anything that useful you can take with you apart from the poison vial for the poison kills challenge. And a sniper for the sniper kill.

Breaching charges for when you can't remember which one of the five different types of keys you need and where it is. You could bring the lockpick but then you lose out on free throwable distractions. Also audio distractions, for the same reason.

And, yes, poison for the quadruple poison kill while you're farming for XP.

And a silenced SMG for the escalation, although I forgot you'd have one from Paris level 15 anyway. Not as many as I'd thought.

I guess the takeaway from all this is unlock breaching charges ASAP and bring them unless you have a reason not to.

Also, the list of recommended mastery levels for escalations: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dXItqz9GajHQUdVTro6foqSdrhpW32CbmKWpEnq-Axo/edit#gid=0 Hokkaido only has one escalation and it's definitely not useful for leveling up. Basically impossible until you reach level 20 and unlock the loadout.

mreddie

Finished game, I want more. Bonus missions aren't filling enough!

GIVE ME CANADA!
GIVE ME MEXICO!

GIVE ME NEW ORLEANS! again.

The road to Colorado professional mastery starts fast just as on normal, since you can bust out seven challenges by starting with a SA run using the double ram kill. Then it slows down.

Second run can get you four challenges at most, and third run three at most - and then you can only do one per run, not counting Suit Only.

In the end seven is about how many runs you need for the other levels, but gaining half a level per run just feels tedious.

Stall19

Well got SASO on Paris on the Pro difficulty. Had to do it a little differently since they put a guard in the target's bathroom.

He still goes to the bathroom sometimes, but I have no idea what triggers it. I replayed Paris a couple of times this weekend on professional difficulty and half the time he would go to the trashcan instead of the bathroom after eating the poisoned food.

Thanks for this tip. It took me six attempts before I got him to go to the bathroom. I actually made that a save point and completed the mission in three different ways starting from there.

Despite my cribbing earlier I got to level 10 in Paris and completed all the challenges. Getting Helmut's disguise was a real pain in the ass until I went and looked at some Youtube videos and one guy had a pretty straightforward way to get it. Basically you take the audio distraction device down to the place where the speedboat exit is and you activate it at the right time to make Helmut go and investigate it. Pretty good idea. I also stopped giving a damn about silent assassin near the end because some of the challenges were messy anyway but also because of the camera placements.

Today I spent about two hours doing SA/SO on Sapienza. Taking out the virus took almost as long as taking out the targets. Something that was already annoying just got even more so at this difficulty. Thinking of trying a run where I first take out the virus and then make a save point and do the other challenges from there. Not sure if it's possible though.

Fitz

Today I spent about two hours doing SA/SO on Sapienza. Taking out the virus took almost as long as taking out the targets. Something that was already annoying just got even more so at this difficulty. Thinking of trying a run where I first take out the virus and then make a save point and do the other challenges from there. Not sure if it's possible though.

I was doing SASO Sapienza the other day and I went for the kill switch method to take out the virus. Getting the dongle takes longer than I like, waiting for the mourning scientist, but you can then easily sneak into the observatory, take the stairs down and you're only a short hop from the laptop. Only have to take out the 1 guy near the laptop, and for extra safety a couple of guys on the ledge above.
Incidentally, you can then easily go back up from there to take out Silvio via the video tape, then you've got easy access to the rooftop to get to Francesca.

I just shoot the stalactite to destroy the virus every time. Zero engagement with anyone in the biolab - even did it as the golf coach once.

If you've practiced, it's even easier to just shoot the virus through the glass with the Silverballer.

Trouble

Banned

The 3x sniper is nice, but the 5mm pistol has more utility (not detected during pat downs). One thing about that sniper is that it's not subsonic, so it's louder than the Jaeger.

Once you hit professional the Krugermeier 2-2 (Bangkok lvl 20 reward) is probably the most useful unlock. It's the quietest pistol in the game.

Foffy

Banned
David is quite the energetic dude in this stream.

I thought he'd be chill, but hearing him drop swear words. Wows. :p

Get him in for mocap, IO! Sounds like a dream of his.

So Linux is confirmed, but don't miss this banner that went up on the Steam store page:

Linux___Mac_banner.jpg

Also, if we're talking casting: I always thought James McAvoy's Professor X looked more like 47.

After 3 hours, my Colorado professional SASO run is done, with a completion time of 25 minutes. I only needed breaching charges and the Silverballer in the end.

It's exactly the same as how I normally do SASO except:

1. I exit the compound through the fence gate once I get behind the barn, then climb back over the wall just before the backyard. Too many people inside to deal with. Then I lure the newly added guard with the radio and quickly climb up the woodpile while push-ups are happening.

2. I fill up all the body containers on the upper floor of the farmhouse, then take out Graves and Berg, then knock out the hackers - leaving only the sleeping guard and one hacker conscious. Took no chances that someone could search the upper floors after the accident kills and find a body.

Completed Marrakesh professional SA/SO. Still the dullest level in the game. And the devs planted a guard whose only job is to stand in front of and stare at the food you're supposed to poison to kill Zaydan. Very subtle. Gonna do Bangkok next and I expect another guard will be directly staring at the food that poisons the lawyer.

BigAT

Looks like a great month. I'm glad they are doing more in Hokkaido. It's probably my favorite map but it's sorely lacking in escalations.

Huh. I thought they'd already confirmed that the next ET was in Hokkaido, am I just imagining that?

Holding off on my Professional run of that map until I can use the new suit.

Top Bottom