• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

GonzoCR

Hokkaido SASO on Pro is a total slog. There's really no added challenge to placing so many guards in the morgue when they can be taken out so easily, it just takes forever. The new guard placements are my biggest issue with the mode, other than that it's fine, I guess.

Got Silent Assassin on Pro Paris. I don't know how the hell I'm gonna do it suit only. Though to be fair, I never did a suit only run on any level in normal difficulty.

GonzoCR

What do I have to do to get that email with the OST and documentary? My Steam account is linked to my SE account and I haven't gotten anything.

What do I have to do to get that email with the OST and documentary? My Steam account is linked to my SE account and I haven't gotten anything.

If you're playing on Steam the extras will automatically download through Steam for you. Just go into the game's installation folder and you'll find them there.

Won

Finished SASO on Pro for Paris. I think Hitman is a bit too "clunky" to do that with only one save.

Luckily I don't have mastery level 20 on most missions, so I'm not even tempted to waste time on it.

Moff

I don't think it's too clunky, Hitman before absolution has been 20x more clunky and the lacking save options on professional didn't hurt the game.

I think a) the levels are too big and b) the mechanics are much less forviging than in previous hitman titles. I don't feel the game is balanced for either pro mode or only 1 save. and having both is just not fun.

Or let me put it this way. Pre Absolution Hitman games felt like puzzle games. You didn't need to be a skilled player, you just needed a brain, to plan your approach and execute it. Hitman 2016 on Pro Mode feels more like an action/stealth game.

maybe I'm just whiney but it's honestly too hard for me, I'll make a few tries but I don't think I will really dive into it as I hoped I would.

Stoze

They could've made 1 save an option for both regular and pro mode, and just have it add to your point total in pro mode if it's turned on. I think in general the game would really benefit from customization stuff like that.

GonzoCR

If you're playing on Steam the extras will automatically download through Steam for you. Just go into the game's installation folder and you'll find them there.

Cool, thanks. Really liking the documentary.

Finished SASO on Pro for Paris. I think Hitman is a bit too "clunky" to do that with only one save.

Luckily I don't have mastery level 20 on most missions, so I'm not even tempted to waste time on it.

What do you mean by clunky? The controls? They definitely have some issues, but what usually gets me detected even in Pro mode is just sloppiness. And I actually like the 1 save restriction, I pretty much rely on save-scumming my way through stealth games, so it's cool to be forced to break the habit. I do think the extra enforcers are way too punishing in certain places within the levels.

I think a) the levels are too big and b) the mechanics are much less forviging than in previous hitman titles. I don't feel the game is balanced for either pro mode or only 1 save. and having both is just not fun.

Or let me put it this way. Pre Absolution Hitman games felt like puzzle games. You didn't need to be a skilled player, you just needed a brain, to plan your approach and execute it. Hitman 2016 on Pro Mode feels more like an action/stealth game.

So far I feel like professional is exactly a puzzle game with more pieces in play.

To put it another way, I don't feel like I have been punished for doing anything that I wouldn't have been punished for on normal. Every time I aroused suspicion or got chased by guards, it was because I deliberately did something dangerous, knowing the risks.

Having gotten to Paris level 5 in two runs, it feels like once I learn which NPCs are carrying key items, where all the cameras are, and where all the new guards are, the difficulty will deescalate to basically the same as on normal.

Running in the hotel lobby in Bangkok disguised as a staff member on pro mode, enforcers quickly spin around to look at you. Also, picked up the keycard in the basement while the others were facing the other way. Right as I pick it up, one of them immediately spins around to spot me.

How in the hell are you supposed to delete the security footage in Bangkok now? One enforcer guard outside, one inside, two other guards inside, and two cameras pointed right at the evidence computer? I can't even find a good angle to shoot the god damn thing from without getting spotted by someone. It's infuriating.

I just scoped this out. I think I might have to open the middle door with a scrambler and then blow up the recordings with a thrown duck.

Otherwise, my first attempt at Bangkok was actually identical to a run on normal up to deleting the recordings.

SL128

Got Silent Assassin on Pro Paris. I don't know how the hell I'm gonna do it suit only. Though to be fair, I never did a suit only run on any level in normal difficulty.
Paris pro SASO:
1. From the default starting location, run under the mansion entrance stairs; as soon as you tresspass, Victor's guard will detect the noise and come to investigate; distraction chain him until you can safely take him out alone (not necessarily a big deal if you can't, but it's nice), and then take out the camera server.
2. When Victor is heading outside, shoot the outlet in the puddle; sneak towards the helicopter area from there, and climb a pipe to the auction.
3. Once there, pull the fire alarm by Dalia's room entrance; after the guards leave (this will probably take 1 try, but maybe not), run into the bathroom and hide in the wardrobe.
4. When things are calm, take out and lure guards as usual until you can get Dalia, and then leave in whichever way is the most convenient.

I recommend saving immediately before step 2, immediately before step 3, or immediately before step 4.

I know that. I meant it's now impossible to do it silently.

I discovered a very, very easy way to clear out the area where Helmut makes his call:
When a guard isn't looking, drop a gun and wait for him to discover it. He'll then take it to a shed where you can knock him out in private. Then, pick up the gun and repeat the process as many times as needed. There's only one body box in the shed, so you'll need to be careful of where you drag the bodies if you knock out more than two guards.

Bangkok camera system defeated on professional.

I got in with a scrambler, ducked behind the desk to avoid the enforcer, then just stood next to the wall with the two cameras and shot the recordings while everyone was looking away. Even with the Silverballer no one noticed the noise.

Then I ran out of the room right in front of an enforcer guard. He barely started filling up his suspicion meter by the time I got around the corner, even though I was running.

I think I might just keep this save and do every Bangkok run from it.

Finally got the one unlock I want from professional mode, don't really know if I'll bother mastering the other levels.

xtMjW3o.jpg

Here is the most Rube Goldberg kill yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRwdKOc0q_k

Blowing up Dalia with the gas heater, which was detonated with an exploding fire extinguisher next to it, which was detonated with a proximity mine next to it, which was triggered by launching Viktor's dead body up to the balcony from the ground floor with breaching charges and coins.

Rubezh

I got the Helmut costume on professional by waiting for him in Margolis's room.

I then used the Mixtape 47 to lure him into the bathroom.

Loving professional mode. Just completed my first mission in it. Did Showstopper on Silent Assassin, Suit Only with just the Pro level 1 unlocks. I'm tempted to see how others did it on youtube now, but I might play around with it a bit more still and try to figure out some other ways to do it first.

I'm 4/5 through Landslide's opportunities - this mission really shows off how the game's development process has grown. All the opportunities actually make you think about how you're supposed to close out the kill (if opportunity tracking is turned off). They're almost all fresh variants on what you've already done, and there's a clear difficulty progression.

Also, having so many locked doors that are not trivial to pick or blow open makes you rely on following behind people, which is a twist not really in the game up to now.

Jintor

It's probably been said before but the thing I like about remix levels is they force you to not fall into complacency. Wandering around through apartments I fell into the habit of assuming nobody was around which led to me having to chase down a lot of people while brandishing a crowbar at times.

GonzoCR

Got SASO on Professional on all maps except Colorado, on which I don't even have level 20 Mastery, or even SASO on Normal. Really not looking forward to it; Colorado may be the only map I actually dislike. I'm really appreciating Professional for making me relearn the maps, even if it's really annoying sometimes.

Landslide is really fun too, and some of the kills are brutal.

Finally figured out the last opportunity I was missing in Landslide (the stage) by just trying stuff. I love that opportunities are getting more complex and not just completely predictable while tracking is off - it feels more rewarding.

Then I tried my first Sapienza run on professional and ended up cut down by a shotgun-wielding guard in his underwear. This is totally part of the professional experience too - appreciating some of the more ludicrous moments that only come up when you have to push through with your run.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I got the full game this past week, the steelbook version and I really liked it, although not as much as Absolution. I've heard that is sacrilegious to hardcore Hitman fans, but I started at Absolution, so I can't relate. I loved the open format of this Hitman a lot, but I preferred the more structured and story-based Hitman of Absolution. That said, totally worth the purchase and highly enjoyed it.

My only complaint is I think the last two missions were easily the weakest. I rank the chapters as: Sapienza-Paris-Bangkok-Marrakesh-Hokkaido-Colorado.

I didn't like the encampment/confined nature of Colorado compared to the others. It was too cramped and heavily guarded compared to the others which offered much greater diversity in gameplay IMO.

I got the full game this past week, the steelbook version and I really liked it, although not as much as Absolution. I've heard that is sacrilegious to hardcore Hitman fans, but I started at Absolution, so I can't relate. I loved the open format of this Hitman a lot, but I preferred the more structured and story-based Hitman of Absolution. That said, totally worth the purchase and highly enjoyed it.

My only complaint is I think the last two missions were easily the weakest. I rank the chapters as: Sapienza-Paris-Bangkok-Marrakesh-Hokkaido-Colorado.

I didn't like the encampment/confined nature of Colorado compared to the others. It was too cramped and heavily guarded compared to the others which offered much greater diversity in gameplay IMO.

I liked Colorado in that it offered a different experience from the other mission areas, but I do agree with you in that I just didn't enjoy it that much.

Been playing since Hitman 2 and still haven't finished Absolution though, lol.

I have to say I'm not enjoying Professional mode at all. For me it counteracts two of the most fun things about this game - finding several solutions for a single problem and the ability to adapt when shit hits the fan.

To me Hitman has always been a game with one puzzle (kill the target) and several different ways to solve that puzzle. With the new cameras, new guards and missing items it feels like a lot the variety in approaching a situation is gone. Almost like there's very few (or even just one) 'right' ways to do something and the developers want you to figure it out.

Second, if something goes wrong there doesn't really seem to be any way to recover the run. Combat is hard, getting the hunted or suspicious status basically screws you... And because of the single save every time something goes wrong it's almost certainly a mission restart. Pretty much how we play ETs these days. Restarting the level over and over to learn how not to fuck up is just not that much fun.

GonzoCR

Absolution is the only other Hitman game I've played, and while I liked it, I much prefer this one. I'm honestly a little puzzled that you didn't like Colorado; it's the level that reminds me the most of Absolution, very cramped and with people who can see through your disguise everywhere. Hokkaido is really cool but I'm not sure I agree with the decision to lock your loadout until level 20.

Demoskinos

Don't you need to call in Code 17, not just trigger a lockdown?

Ended up realizing this eventually... had no clue the "escape plans" were sitting in that room in the basement. Once I figured that triggered Victor's bodyguard to drop his phone I was off to the races.

Reached level 10 professional in Paris. Did a couple of Sapienza runs.

It turns out that Napoleon Blownaparte plays a role that neither the remote explosive duck nor the exploding phone can fill. It attracts people like the phone, but instantly detonates like the duck. And the explosion is much bigger than the duck's.

Sapienza on professional definitely forces me to improvise when something goes wrong - mainly because I keep running into the very same guards they put into place to surprise experienced players, and because I've given up trying to maintain SA in the biolab until I've gone through it a few times.

So far, it hasn't been too bad knocking out two guards in hand-to-hand - as long as one guard doesn't have line of sight while you fight the other.

Well I managed to get SA/SO on Paris professional. Protip: don't save too early because you'll be reloading a lot. Better to keep restarting the level until you're a fair way into the mission before you put down a save point. Anyway, I pushed Dalia on Viktor's head to finish the mission. Then I went and checked Youtube to see how others had done it and... pretty much every SA/SO run I find does the same thing. One guy had a variant where he triggered the fireworks and then took a battleaxe up/down the pipe and slit their throats.

I'm sure in time clever people will find amazing ways to pull it off but until then it just kind of reinforces the idea (for me) that professional mode funnels you into specific ways to complete any particular challenge.

I love the added "Is that Pitbull?!" line, too good. And I think Landside is my favorite bonus mission and one of my favorite overall, it's so densely packed with cool stuff, it's nice not having such a huge playground for a change, you can really get around quickly and see what the whole mission has to offer.

Anyway, I pushed Dalia on Viktor's head to finish the mission. Then I went and checked Youtube to see how others had done it and... pretty much every SA/SO run I find does the same thing.
I actually hadn't done either of the fireworks kills before on pro or regular before trying SASO on pro, but I can see why so many would try it that way.

I took the auction invite, snuck into Dalia's bathroom via the attic, lured her in with the sink overflow and garroted her. Ran back down to the main floor, picked up a stashed emetic poison syringe, hung around the bar to trigger Viktor going to the meeting in the courtyard, and then hid behind planter where Viktor goes to take his phone call. Once he got there I poked him with the syringe and followed him to the bathroom, coined the bodyguard out into the hallway, and garroted Viktor.

I'm sure in time clever people will find amazing ways to pull it off but until then it just kind of reinforces the idea (for me) that professional mode funnels you into specific ways to complete any particular challenge.

Well, Terminal Velocity was the most popular SASO route even back when Paris came out! I'm sure the average player has only done SASO on Paris this way, whether on normal or pro. (Yes, I also did this for my last push to reach level 10.)

But you need to check the speedrunners' accounts to see people trying original routes. Like this SASO run from earlier today using only chandeliers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMwAlcFiRkI

Roussow

I haven't played since Hokkaido dropped, jumped right into the escalation. I was a little rusty, the toughest part was ritually grabbing the Helmut disguise (I can't think of a single more versatile or accessible disguise in the entire game), thought I'd try out the lethal syringe and I ended up getting my first SA, I guess if it looked like an "accident" and the body's found they let you off that criteria? Shocked by how easy it was to just jab it in his back in an area that wasn't super secluded, and just walk away.

Lima

I haven't played since Hokkaido dropped, jumped right into the escalation. I was a little rusty, the toughest part was ritually grabbing the Helmut disguise (I can't think of a single more versatile or accessible disguise in the entire game), thought I'd try out the lethal syringe and I ended up getting my first SA, I guess if it looked like an "accident" and the body's found they let you off that criteria? Shocked by how easy it was to just jab it in his back in an area that wasn't super secluded, and just walk away.

Yeah they changed how the lethal syringe worked a while ago. It was useless before and went on to became one of the most powerful loadout tools in the arsenal.

Roussow

My dream level for Season 2 would be a giant tech company that parallels/satirizes something like Amazon or Google. You could kill targets by hacking a self driving car when they're in it and drive them into a wall or off a cliff, or by tampering with Boston Dynamics esque robots in the R&D department that go crazy, or fly a drone in for the kill, etc.

It's not specifically all in one mission, and not exactly what you're asking for -- but Watch Dogs 2 had some good stealth action set in similar scenarios.

Sapienza level 7/10 already. It feels like old times, dancing around guards and crouch-running over the roof.

Some advice:
- Don't make the same mistake I did and initiate the Memento opportunity while assuming that there are still any propane tanks on the roof or in the attic.
- Kitchen staff and gardeners are allowed to carry propane tanks without suspicion.
- Weeding the Garden and Getting Your Hands Dirty are the only challenges that can be stacked with The Personal Touch in one run. Plan accordingly to save yourself a run.
- The Seeger 300 isn't actually powerful enough to headshot from the spot where you would normally want to do Sniper Assassin.

ZeroX03

Banned
Good, that was an easy Elusive. Haven't touched Professional yet.

Think I've got every unlockable suit except the Elusive Yukata now.

Demoskinos

So I just finished doing another run on Professional Paris. If anyone is still having trouble getting Helmut's disguise and maintaining a SA I think I have a pretty fool proof way to get the disguise every time.

This is from the 2nd half of the mission starts right after I finished the Bartender Opportunity for Victor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnjkwY9vMaA

So apparently, the Sieger variant you unlock on Professional difficulty plays Ave Maria while zoomed in.

Damn it's probably real hard to get all the way to lvl 10 in Colorado of all places.

So I just finished doing another run on Professional Paris. If anyone is still having trouble getting Helmut's disguise and maintaining a SA I think I have a pretty fool proof way to get the disguise every time.

This is from the 2nd half of the mission starts right after I finished the Bartender Opportunity for Victor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnjkwY9vMaA

We've all been doing it the hard way all along. The brain-dead easy method to get Helmut, courtesy of BernardoOne.

Might need a little improvisation with more coins if guards are passing by.

Top Bottom