• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: The Complete First Season launches January 31

I'd say the Elusives are pretty good. They aren't as elaborately designed as the main contracts, the appeal of it is mostly the idea of having a mission that is both limited by a real world clock and having only one attempt to get it right (sort of).

I know IO have said otherwise, but I'm still skeptical that the Elusives won't return in some form. Feels like at lot of work creating unique assets and recording new dialogue for a one-and-done thing.

We're getting more of them going by the SteelBook screenshot so maybe they'll rerun some while working on S2?

ZeroX03

Banned
We're getting more of them going by the SteelBook screenshot so maybe they'll rerun some while working on S2?

I hope they will, but that screenshot specifically states it excludes already concluded timed events.

Nobody will be mad if they repeat elusives nine months later. I don't think that breaks the spirit of them.

Ludens

Banned
?????????????

I'm not sure where this is coming from. Who is getting fucked?

If you pre-ordered the Full Experience on PC, you paid 10$ more and you got the requiem pack.
If you didn't preorder the Full Experience, you paid 10$ more and you didn't get Requiem Pack.
If you bought the game piece by piece, you will end up on paying 25$ more.

Regarding the Making of and the OST, we don't even know if they will be added for free or if SE/IO will charge for them. In this second case, early purchasers will get screwed again.
As I wrote, I don't consider Elusives a selling point of the game, it's like saying if you didn't pre-ordered Destiny you missed on some Events they hosted.

Also is not even sure Elusives are gone forever, with the retail launch they could propose them again as the screenshot states.

J-Skee

So there's definitely going to be a second season. I wonder if this is how Hitman will always be from now on. Hopefully they'll loosen up on the "always online" stuff. I don't need all of my missions to be ranked with everyone else in the world.

ZeroX03

Banned
Also is not even sure Elusives are gone forever, with the retail launch they could propose them again as the screenshot states.

SEjG59R.jpg

That asterisk, unfortunately. Hope it's not the case.

So would this be the complete edition or is there still more DLC to come after the disc releases?

If it's all on disc, this should mean that all of the levels for season one will be included by then, from Paris to Japan (currently, the last two levels, USA and Japan, haven't been released yet).

Sounds like (at least for now) the only additional content to come will be Elusive Targets, which sorta don't count.

I hopped aboard for the Gary Busey target and had a blast. It's a bummer you guys won't get to experience it (though plenty of people have documented it on YouTube).

Cannot wait for them to announce Season Two. This might be the first game I go full-digital with.

SEjG59R.jpg

That asterisk, unfortunately. Hope it's not the case.

I had a meeting with them at Gamescom and we spoke a bit about plans for retail, and they said that at least they have plans for live content after the disc release for people who buy it that way - THEN the season will be over.

I don't think elusives will return, if I had to guess, but there will be 'live content' like elusives AFTER the disc release.

duckroll

Okay this is incredibly confusing, but here goes:

- Console preorder players paid $60, get all content, and get it ASAP.
- PC complete release got a price drop, so if you waited on PC you got a discount.
- However if you bought early you got timed content.
- Episodic players were confused by weak messaging, end up paying $75+.

Basically if you pre-ordered on console you got all content at a set price ($60), and you paid the lowest price for your platform. Every other option (episodic or PC or both) had some kind of negative drawback.

If you can't tell, IO/SE had atrocious messaging regarding what content they were getting and what it would cost. Even my reading of the press release, I'm reading it as full package non-preorder buyers getting the DLC pack, but others are interpreting it as them still having to pay. I can't fucking tell.

Well, as someone who has been interested in this since the beginning, but didn't want to buy into an incomplete season at the time, I don't think it's -that- confusing right?

Here's what I understand:

- If you wanted the entire seasonal product as it released, you would buy the full price game.

- If instead you weren't sure about the product, you could buy the first episode for "cheap", and then pay more if you like it enough to upgrade to the full game.

- If you still aren't sure after the first episode, you could buy each episode individually whenever you want, but you end up paying even more in the end.

- In addition to this, the game has regular timed events as an ongoing online service, available to those who have the prerequisite episodes, so those playing the longest will have access to the most content over time.

- Now there will be a cheaper compiled version of the game available next year when all the episodes are out, similar to a GOTY Edition re-release.

Does that sum it up? Doesn't see very odd to me? Am I missing something?

ZeroX03

Banned
I had a meeting with them at Gamescom and we spoke a bit about plans for retail, and they said that at least they have plans for live content after the disc release for people who buy it that way - THEN the season will be over.

I don't think elusives will return, if I had to guess, but there will be 'live content' like elusives AFTER the disc release.

3NlseoL.jpg

:)

Ludens

Banned
Well, as someone who has been interested in this since the beginning, but didn't want to buy into an incomplete season at the time, I don't think it's -that- confusing right?

- If you wanted the entire seasonal product as it released, you would buy the full price game.

- If instead you weren't sure about the product, you could buy the first episode for "cheap", and then pay more if you like it enough to upgrade to the full game.

- If you still aren't sure after the first episode, you could buy each episode individually whenever you want, but you end up paying even more in the end.

- In addition to this, the game has regular timed events as an ongoing online service, available to those who have the prerequisite episodes, so those playing the longest will have access to the most content over time.

- Now there will be a cheaper compiled version of the game available next year when all the episodes are out, similar to a GOTY Edition re-release.

Well, cheaper only if you buy it on PC, considering on console the price is the same.

MUnited83

For you.
As a Hitman fan who's played all the games up until this one, I'm still unsure how this game plays out story wise.

Are you just dropped into a sandbox level and given the objective and go or are there cutscenes and narrative set up in each episode? All the previous games still had forms of cutscenes and narrative tied into each mission.
There's a cutscene at the end of each mission which has the "main" plot of the game. While that plot isnt present very much on the locations themselves, you can find hints and conversations that help you put a few puzzle pieces together if you explore enough.

Considering how the Bangkok episode ended, is very possible the next episode will fully integrate the main plot to the sandbox.

ZeroX03

Banned

They were never clear about the seventh episode - it wasn't even properly mentioned in the PS Store description. Most episodic players didn't realize that there would be such a significant price disparity. They also originally said the original release would come with three episodes, and then it switched to six. Also pricing was inconsistent between console and PC, in which PC gets a price drop with the packaged release while console didn't.

Keep in mind that IO/SE never explicitly said any of this, the pricing and model changed multiple times, the seventh episode wasn't clarified until three episodes in and now the full package buyers are getting even more content that the episodic buyers seemingly aren't getting (or have to pay even more for), and there's no option to upgrade as an episodic buyer. They also wouldn't respond to questions regarding these things on social media.

I mean if you look at it that PC players get a discount and console players don't, that's kind of unfair too. Nobody really won from this release, and IO/SE were never clear about it.

There was actually a short sale where the game was 10% cheaper on PS4, so uh add that confusion to the mix if you care about who's paying what for what.

duckroll

They were never clear about the seventh episode - it wasn't even properly mentioned in the PS Store description. Most episodic players didn't realize that there would be such a significant price disparity. They also originally said the original release would come with three episodes, and then it switched to six. Also pricing was inconsistent between console and PC, in which PC gets a price drop with the packaged release while console didn't.

Keep in mind that IO/SE never explicitly said any of this, the pricing and model changed multiple times, the seventh episode wasn't clarified until three episodes in and now the full package buyers are getting even more content that the episodic buyers seemingly aren't getting (or have to pay even more for), and there's no option to upgrade as an episodic buyer. They also wouldn't respond to questions regarding these things on social media.

I mean if you look at it that PC players get a discount and console players don't, that's kind of unfair too. Nobody really won from this release, and IO/SE were never clear about it.

Okay, that definitely sounds very confusing. Especially with all the flipflopping about how much content there is initially. I started paying attention more attention when I heard the game was actually really good, so I guess it was all sorted out by then.

In fact, what IS the 7th episode? Wouldn't USA and Japan still only take it up to Episode 6? Is there a 7th location, or is it a 7th episode in existing locations?

The gameplay was easily the best in the series but I couldn't get past all the technical issues after Episode 1 so I never progressed. Were those ever addressed? I'd be down to buy this if they were.

ZeroX03

Banned
Okay, that definitely sounds very confusing. Especially with all the flipflopping about how much content there is initially. I started paying attention more attention when I heard the game was actually really good, so I guess it was all sorted out by then.

In fact, what IS the 7th episode? Wouldn't USA and Japan still only take it up to Episode 6? Is there a 7th location, or is it a 7th episode in existing locations?

The 7th episode is the 'Bonus Episode' which is three missions set on old locations with new targets and heavily remixed maps. One of the missions has Sapienza transformed into a film set, another changes Marrakesh from a warzone in the day to a relaxing night market.

But those three missions are split in to two releases, two of them are available now and the third will be made available at an unknown date. We don't know what location it'll be a remix of yet either.

Oh and if you bought episodic, you have to pay for the bonus episode. But you can't buy it yet. So full package owners have 2/3 of the missions, but episodic players can't buy or access those yet because who fucking knows why.

Yes, it's confusing fun with stupid messaging to boot. Again, don't let that take away from how truly great the game is.

Ludens

Banned

Nobody knows. I mean, the seventh episode just popped out recently, with Steam saying "Episode 1-7". Yeah, there was a rumor initially, but people thought the seventh episode was the bonus DLC released last on July, while apparently that isn't the seventh episode?
I can't even know at this point as Full Experience owners.

The only thing I know is IO or SE changed their plan in a very confusing way, while they refused to reply to the many answers on social media asking for clarifications.

I love the game because Hitman is a unique mix of puzzle and stealth you can't find in other games, but really this Season 1 release was a mess from a marketing and communication point. As I wrote I won't support further IO by purchasing the Season 2 in advance because...why do such a thing, if by purchasing later you get more contents to pay less? And also I will know what I'm purchasing at that point.

farisr

Have they changed the server connection requirements for stuff that really shouldn't be locked behind them yet?

ZeroX03

Banned
Nobody knows. I mean, the seventh episode just popped out recently, with Steam saying "Episode 1-7". Yeah, there was a rumor initially, but people thought the seventh episode was the bonus DLC released last on July, while apparently that isn't the seventh episode?

The only thing I know is IO or SE changed their plan in a very confusing way, while they refused to reply to the many answers on social media asking for clarifications.

I love the game because Hitman is a unique mix of puzzle and stealth you can't find in other games, but really this Season 1 release was a mess from a marketing and communication point. As I wrote I won't support further IO by purchasing the Season 2 in advance because...why do such a thing, if by purchasing later you get more contents to pay less? And also I will know what I'm purchasing at that point.

The 7th episode is the bonus episode, IO have stated that.

If you don't purchase in advance, you'll miss out on elusives.

If you purchase episodic, you pay more and wait longer.

If you buy it blind in advance, you're... buying it blind. And paying more if on PC.

If you wait for the full package to drop in price, you're missing out on even more elusives.

No win situation for any buyer.

MUnited83

For you.

No, the bonus is definitely considered a episode. There's no confusion about this. It has been very, very clearly stated.

Ludens

Banned
No, the bonus is definitely considered a episode. There's no confusion about this. It has been very, very clearly stated.

Ah ok, I was confused by the fact it was called "bonus" and it will release in two chunks.

The 7th episode is the bonus episode, IO have stated that.

If you don't purchase in advance, you'll miss out on elusives.

If you purchase episodic, you pay more and wait longer.

If you buy it blind in advance, you're... buying it blind. And paying more if on PC.

If you wait for the full package to drop in price, you're missing out on even more elusives.

No win situation for any buyer.

For me no problem, considering (as I wrote) I don't care for elusives so much.

Have they changed the server connection requirements for stuff that really shouldn't be locked behind them yet?

No.

Jeremy

I'm wondering: what are they going to do about elusive targets for new season 1 players? There are obviously people holding off for this who would be missing out on content right?

My annoyance with this was how game wasn't even digitally available for some stores. PSN Asia didn't have Hitman, I guess they decided that region only deserved getting it physical.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm wondering: what are they going to do about elusive targets for new season 1 players? There are obviously people holding off for this who would be missing out on content right?

According to this poster, you'll miss out. And if you don't buy the complete first season at full price, you'll miss out on even more by waiting.

I hope they run the elusives again.

AHA-Lambda

According to this poster, you'll miss out. And if you don't buy the complete first season at full price, you'll miss out on even more by waiting.

I hope they run the elusives again.

That is such a weird way of phrasing, why even mention that you get the prologue? Why not just say 6 episodes? The prologue is half of the first one anyway so it's redundant

Hybris

Communication about costs and content has been extremely poor. I'm lucky I didn't have to deal with any of this crap because I got the full experience + pre order stuff for $15 due to that Amazon pricing error a bit before release. So glad I saw that thread before they fixed that.

PC wins, the black label goes well with the rest of the cover.

I wish they could release the physical disc without the always online crap. Not acceptable for digital, but certainly not for physical.

I doubt they are going to change the system, retail version or not.

Seems to be the case. Holding off on playing it until all of the "seasons" are available in one package.

Every season is a full game. Usually you need 2-3 years to make a game, so see you in 5 years? They are releasing now one episode per month or close to it because they have done most of the work in previous years of development, they aren't doing new episodes in 30 days of work!

I have had my eye on this. About how long of a game is it for all of the areas?

2 tutorial missions + 6 episodes + 3 side missions = I would say... 11 hours.
But they are very replayable, you can perfectly play an episode five, six times without repeating actions. Then add the challenges, some of them are 'gameplay' in the sense that they suppose enigmas or puzzles you have to solve exploring and thinking. An example, in a mission there is a challenge called 'Drop the F Bomb', you have to guess how to do it, (spoilers)
discovering there is a neon sign letter for a cafeteria club where the F letter seems a bit broken, you have to shoot at it as the target is below to kill him, that's the secret.
Now add to that the escalation missions, which there already a pair of dozens?, and the elusive targets. That's around 80 hours of content.
And I'm not counting the contract targets, done by the devs or by the community.

so it was $59.99 for the full experience when it launched (and the current price,) $75 if you bought each episode individually and $65 if you bought the first episode then the season pass...

disgusting

Personally I'm not surprised buying something in parts is in the end more expensive than buying whole in one go, it's a tactic used in so many markets.

300 hours? Is it open world with side missions or what?

I've plyaed 65 hours, 300 hours is crazy!

Is it worth it to jump in now for the Elusives? People seem to be excited about 'em.

I always believed they would appear again next year, but it seems I'm wrong, there will be new elusive targets when retail is released, but not the old ones. A pretty icky preorder tactic, I have to confess.

As a Hitman fan who's played all the games up until this one, I'm still unsure how this game plays out story wise.

Are you just dropped into a sandbox level and given the objective and go or are there cutscenes and narrative set up in each episode? All the previous games still had forms of cutscenes and narrative tied into each mission.

Very much like previous Hitmans. Every episode has a single standalone story with unique characters and a backstory, and there is diffuse overarching story arc joining everything (surely the final episode will solve it). Every episode has a cg cutscene referring to that story arc.

Oh, so that's what they are gonna do. I suppose there will be 8-10 new elusive targets to be released in the following months after retail.

Coolade

So I take it there are no more server issues disconnecting players mid mission? Last time I looked up on how the game was doing players were upset at the online only single player.

Metal-Geo

My GOTY for 2016. (Tough battle between this and Inside though).

I've put about 300+ hours into this as well. It's so good.

May double dip just to show support. But also for the documentary and soundtrack.

So I take it there are no more server issues disconnecting players mid mission? Last time I looked up on how the game was doing players were upset at the online only single player.

I actually had a disconnect during the last elusive target. However, a few updates ago they added a "retry connection" button. Before that users were actually forced out of their game.

Top Bottom