• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: The Complete First Season launches January 31

So I take it there are no more server issues disconnecting players mid mission? Last time I looked up on how the game was doing players were upset at the online only single player.

I suppose people with flaky or time-limited Internet will be still upset, and maybe they went to other games.

I never had a disconnect in the time period it was supposed to be more problematic, with the two first episodes. In any case, t seems they both improved connection stability and gave an option to reconnect if your connects fails.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's an always-online game. Disc version doesn't change that.

I don't think it is. You can play the game offline.

Can I play HITMAN offline or do you have to be connected all the time?

You will be able to play the locations and missions offline. To play the live events, download updates or see things like leaderboards, you’ll need to be online.

I thought they might make the unlockables available offline finally. No reason not to.

Venom Fox

Banned
The amount of locations has me worried. It's the reason I never bothered to buy the episodes or upgrade pack. Just doesn't seem worth it compared to the other Hitman games.

How many mission total are there?

ZeroX03

Banned
I know. I just dislike the idea of video games season. It's confirmed since the beginning that I won't be seeing the conclusion in the first game/season. I'll have to wait for several years to see it.

Are you worried about the overarching story?

Because let me tell you right now, it's terrible and absolutely the most meaningless part of the game.

I thought they might make the unlockables available offline finally. No reason not to.

They have made it clear that isn't happening.

I wouldn't play this game if I didn't have an internet connection.

I don't think it is. You can play the game offline.

Yes, technically you can play the game offline but you won't unlock anything. Unlocking gadgets/weapons/insertion points/etc. is one of the most important parts of the game so that's why I described it as an always-online game.

And yeah I agree that there's no real reason not to allow offline unlocks, but IO has essentially dug their feet in the sand regarding this so.. yeah.

ZeroX03

Banned
The amount of locations has me worried. It's the reason I never bothered to buy the episodes or upgrade pack. Just doesn't seem worth it compared to the other Hitman games.

Prologue
6 locations each with a main mission.
3 bonus missions, using remixed old locations.
A bunch of escalations per location.
A bunch of elusives which have very slightly changes to locations.
Sarajevo Six on PlayStation.
Infinite user generated contracts.

Just unlocking everything and doing trophies for a location is a 10~ hour undertaking. If you like doing all challenges and escalations it's much longer. If you only care for main missions once, there isn't a lot of content, it's designed to be heavily replayed and succeeds in that.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
They have made it clear that isn't happening.

Have they? Any recent source on that?

Yes, technically you can play the game offline but you won't unlock anything.

I know. I found out the painful way when the first episode kept booting me out and not saving my progress for months due to their shitty servers.

And yeah I agree that there's no real reason not to allow offline unlocks, but IO has essentially dug their feet in the sand regarding this so.. yeah.

Welp. This'll be the first Hitman I skip then. Absolutely gutted. Was hoping the disc version, with the potential for confusion from the causal consumer might make them see sense.

ZeroX03

Banned
Have they? Any recent source on that?

Bunch of big patches, and they've didn't change it and made no statements of intent to change it. If it were changing for the retail release, they would say something. It's staying how it is.

I know. I found out the painful way when the first episode kept booting me out and not saving my progress for months due to their shitty servers.

They have fixed server issues and added a reconnect function at least.

Welp. This'll be the first Hitman I skip then. Absolutely gutted. Was hoping the disc version, with the potential for confusion from the causal consumer might make them see sense.
Is your internet connection unreliable? Honestly, the always-online requirement has been a non-issue for me following the first patch (their servers were wonky the first few weeks). Hell, it's actually considered a GOOD thing in one very specific case lol (
you can disconnect from the internet to retry an Elusive target if you screw up
).
Or is it just a matter of principle? If so, that's totally understandable.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Bunch of big patches, and they've didn't change it and made no statements of intent to change it. If it were changing for the retail release, they would say something. It's staying how it is.

To be fair, they didn't say that was 'how it is' before the digital release.

They have fixed server issues and added a reconnect function at least.

Yeah. I'm not happy being at the mercy/whim of their shitty servers again, particularly for a traditionally single player series. Not sure why they felt the need to hide unlocks and challenges behind an online wall.

Is your internet connection unreliable? Honestly, the always-online requirement has been a non-issue for me following the first patch (their servers were wonky the first few weeks). Hell, it's actually considered a GOOD thing in one very specific case lol (
you can disconnect from the internet to retry an Elusive target if you screw up
).
Or is it just a matter of principle? If so, that's totally understandable.

No, I have a pretty good connection. After the first patch there were still issues among a lot of people. Considering my level of hype (been a huge fan since C:47), it was an incredibly frustrating experience. I spent the whole time waiting for disconnects rather than enjoying the game!

Why this list up to Bangkok and not USA & Japan?

edit - read more posts. dw.

cannot wait for those two episodes though, Japan gonna look nuts!

Yes, technically you can play the game offline but you won't unlock anything. Unlocking gadgets/weapons/insertion points/etc. is one of the most important parts of the game so that's why I described it as an always-online game.

and that is for me enough to not buy. Shame. I liked previous Hitmans.

MUnited83

For you.
I know. I just dislike the idea of video games season. It's confirmed since the beginning that I won't be seeing the conclusion in the first game/season. I'll have to wait for several years to see it.
Do you? Its not like the story is the main part of the game. Waiting for a packaged with all is the same as skipping Uncharted 1/2/3 because you're waiting for a package with all of them.

Do you? Its not like the story is the main part of the game. Waiting for a packaged with all is the same as skipping Uncharted 1/2/3 because you're waiting for a package with all of them.

Yeah, not to mention that so far the story has been somewhat inconsequential - just cinematics that bookend the chapters and allude to an overall
conspiracy
plotline. Not to say there's isn't plenty to glean from overheard NPC conversations and assassination opportunities to fill in the gaps.

For those worried about content - the four levels released so far are huge (with maybe Bangkok feeling a bit small). There's a ton to discover, and the Escalations (and Community Contracts) are smart about using areas and items that go relatively untouched in the story missions.

Looking at this release being "only" Season One and somehow incomplete is pretty unfortunate. The replay value in this thing is sky high.

Honestly surprised but this is my GOTY for 2016 so far, I bought a steam key for $15 from ebay (AMD card promo redemption thing) and have poured an amazing 110 hours into the game so far. The levels have all been absolutely phenomenal with a ton of challenges to replay each time, different enough to be really fun. The attention to detail for each level has been absolutely fantastic.

I was definitely a huge "EPISODIC? FUCK THAT SHIT" guy at announcement and after, still not a fan of any games being released that way, but in this case it really worked for me since I'd play for a week and then just revisit the game a few times to do the elusive targets, and a month or two later another level with another week of content came around. Pretty cool.

Can't imagine though its been a financial success, with steamspy showing 250k sales I dunno what exactly that means but hopefully the full package deal does well.

You could say the same about any game franchise. Did people realize when they played Uncharted 1 they wouldn't see the conclusion until 2016?

Edit: Haha. Bernardo said the same as me and used the same example.

Is this the first confirmation we've had that elusive targets will keep going past the disc release?

It makes sense - at the current rate of one every two weeks there wouldn't be more than 7-8 more this year.

SomTervo

I have had my eye on this. About how long of a game is it for all of the areas?

If you push through each area just for completion, probably not too long. Just like all the other games. Maybe 7-10 hours.

The bulk of the longevity comes from just how insanely replayable the game is. E.g. trying to find perfect runs, but this iteration also has a massive suite of modifiers called 'challenges' - e.g. "Complete the level with your default suit", "Kill both targets with only a sniper rifle", etc etc.

On top of that they are adding 'alternate versions' of levels which might have crowds in unusual places, new targets, or completely different assets (one turns a mundane street into an entire movie set, complete with a big robot, loads of rubble, special effects gear and crews, etc).

There's a lot of game here. Just remember most of the fun comes from replaying.

I'm sure you like Hitman already so you knew this to an extent :)

My answer above sort of applies to your question, too.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You CAN play offline but you won't be able to unlock things those systems are exclusively tied to your online save. You can't even select a lot of those related menu options at all if you are offline.

Believe me, I know :) I was just hoping, given its a retail release, they might change it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You guys better purchase this. It's damn awesome. I think whether you're an old time fan or new to the franchise you can play this and get a lot out of it.

90% of the game is found in challenges, feats, etc.

When I had 3 episodes I considered it a disappointment. Then when i discovered all there is to do in the game and dove in, it became an easy GOTY contender for me.

Gamezone

Gold Member

This.

They lock you out of everything, including 47's signature pistols.

Foffy

Banned

I don't think it's IO that has dug their feet in the sand...

Look at their publisher, who has a big hard on for big data metrics lately.

Foffy

Banned
Apologies.

Please bear with me.

kek

What did Episode 4 or the Bonus Episodes break, by the way?

But damn dude, it was kinda crazy that with each update, something else got broken in the early days of the game. That launch was fucking brutal, and I think you and I were some of the heaviest shitters on the game then.

Ozium

What did Episode 4 or the Bonus Episodes break, by the way?

But damn dude, it was kinda crazy that with each update, something else got broken in the early days of the game. That launch was fucking brutal, and I think you and I were some of the heaviest shitters on the game then.

I dunno I uninstalled it

To those concerned, I've never once had an issue with the servers in the last two months of playing this game, and my internet connection isn't the greatest.

At most (on PS4), it'll disconnect if I put it into Rest Mode, but they've implemented an option to reconnect to the servers so you don't lose any progress that way.

If you don't have any internet connection, though, I guess that is rough. Unlocks seem to be tied to being online. Hopefully they can iron that out, or find a better solution. I don't think the integrity of the Leaderboards are an important enough thing to keep people from unlocking items/starting locations/etc.

Top Bottom