• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

The fact that games can run on best graphics with steady 60fps on PS5 baffles me to the point where I consider switching to PC once the gtx 5xxx series releases.

Social

I am enjoying the game most of the time but I am a bit surprised by all the praise.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I find that there is a ton of jank and lots of weird design choices and don’t get me started on the poor voice acting. So many voices seem like they do not fit the character. Many voice actors sound very robotic and bored.

Lots of the chatter also feels disconnected or only mildly related, like it’s AI generated. Also lots of overlapping dialogues.

I also dislike the amount of time you need to spend inside the menu system, how poor the loading times are (PS5) and how much of it there is.

Animations are very janky and glitch out an awful lot.

It seems like most gameplay elements are baby’s first videogame, except for the combat. Those Merlin trials are laughable at best.

Despite all this, there is a lot the game does right and you can see the amount of love that went into it. There is fun to be had and especially for fans, it can be a magical time.

Last edited:

Otre

Banned
That he knows that if he says the wrong thing he'll be bad man and get punished by childish tyrants.

I have to admit this game is one of the biggest surprises in the last few years. The quality is amazing and it controls well.

Nah, he explained on twitter that Harry Potter was the result of him breaking up with a dear friend and that was why he reee'd out. That reply is probably deleted, so "sourceImadeitthefuckup.gif".

The game has too much of a slow start for my taste. Battle system is superb though.

Last edited:
I guess if I had less forgiveness. I spun the wheel around a few times and thought "Yea, these devs need to patch this out".

I am guessing they will.
Edit: deleted a unnecessary part lecturing the frustrated poster!

The Alohomora puzzle (key lock) solution -

First the green: i assume you have controller, move your stick left so the green energy ball is inside the outbound cyrcle now start slowly making a turn of the stick UNTIL there is a green dot in the lower right side gear then stop moving it (you can even leave the stick there and reuse when you find the other part but better keep the stick there). Now do the same with the other stick but now move it slower when you turn the stick around, when you see a slow movement of the gear in the middle you go back and forth nearby there even slower to find the correct spot. When the greet dot at the bottom is shining and the red gear in the middle are turning you wait 1 second and it's unlocks.
After you do it one time correct, the second time will be easier and the third you will do it "blindfolded". But to tell the truth to figure it out i needed to waste 30 minutes to understand what is going on.
Second that is not the most difficult puzzle, when you go to the flying keys puzzle send a message and i will tell you the trick (if you play at hard, because at lower difficulties its a breeze).

Last edited:
I guess it's not a big problem. Since I don't care. I guess these video game things get overblown sometimes. Anyways. Sorry I got you riled up man.
I was just reading your posts and there were many of them but could not understand what is the problem, after I understood the problem i shared the frustration because i wanted to break the controller the first time doing that puzzle. I thought i won't be able to make it and lose a big portion of the game. it's complicated but not that difficult (after you settle down from the frustration), when you feel like it go and try it again and you will make it. Just next time be angry (that's okay) but more specific 🤣.

Drake

I started off using a keyboard and mouse, but found the controls a bit clunky when it came to combat. I switched to a controller and it feels much better.

Freeman76

In one of the previews they mentioned 4 dungeons were in the game. Are those in the main quest or side activities to discover in the map does anyone know?

Krathoon

The game is very tropey from a game design standpoint. They are totally playing by the book. I assume more interesting monsters pop up the deeper you go in.
I hope there are new events in the Hogwart's castle. I assume they change with the seasons? They are already getting repetitive.

That is the standout thing of the game. The land changes with the seasons.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I am enjoying the game most of the time but I am a bit surprised by all the praise.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I find that there is a ton of jank and lots of weird design choices and don’t get me started on the poor voice acting. So many voices seem like they do not fit the character. Many voice actors sound very robotic and bored.

Lots of the chatter also feels disconnected or only mildly related, like it’s AI generated. Also lots of overlapping dialogues.

I also dislike the amount of time you need to spend inside the menu system, how poor the loading times are (PS5) and how much of it there is.

Animations are very janky and glitch out an awful lot.

It seems like most gameplay elements are baby’s first videogame, except for the combat. Those Merlin trials are laughable at best.

Despite all this, there is a lot the game does right and you can see the amount of love that went into it. There is fun to be had and especially for fans, it can be a magical time.
My main grip so far are the NPCs, with all of them having been conceived by the same mother and father by the looks of it. I understand the amount of detail that went to hogwarts itself and other locations, but this shit is ridiculous annoying.

Reminds me of the Assassin's Creed II NPC duplication glitch.

The foundation is extremely solid, but yeah, if we look for it we can definetely spot jankiness in some areas.

Last edited:

Krathoon

They kind of half ass it on the npcs. Also, I ran into an NPC that made no damn sense. Also, saw another copy of him nearby.
He was casting glowing stuff around himself. I have no idea what he was doing.

I reached a point in the main quest where I have to level up. The game does not tell you what level you should be on main quests. I was like level 9 fighting level 20 spiders.

Last edited:

Freeman76

My main grip so far are the NPCs, with all of them having been conceived by the same mother and father by the looks of it. I understand the amount of detail that went to hogwarts itself and other locations, but this shit is ridiculous annoying.

Reminds me of the Assassin's Creed II NPC duplication glitch.

The foundation is extremely solid, but yeah, if we look for it we can definetely spot jankiness in some areas.

Its the sort of thing i dont pay attention to as its pretty much part of gaming. Why would they bother putting time into creating 400 unique npcs that are basically part of the scenery when those resources could be spent on performance or making interesting design elements.

I feel like some people pick holes for the sake of it, which must kinda suck when a game has SO many brilliant elements. Nothing is perfect and if you look hard enough you will always find something that isnt up to scratch.

The devs have outdone themaelves with this, its a joy to play and thats rare in gaming these days. No MTX, no SP, I mean wtf do devs need to do lol

april6e

Or a LOTR rpg with this level of detail and love for the universe. It's mind boggling HP is just getting something like this now after all these years. It's even more mind boggling that LOTR hasn't gotten a real game to take advantage of the amazing universe created by Tolkien.

Not every game needs to be so serious.. just some lighthearted fun but good story, good gameplay and a magical fantasy world that is true to it's universe.

I liked HP movies but didn't really get into it when I was a kid but a few years back. But I definitely appreciated the universe and setting. If you like that universe you will love it even more in this game because it's more immersive and because you playing in it and the devs have absolutely nailed it.

I can't imagine how cool it would be to live in a living Tolkien world like this.

Yeah, for sure a more authentic LOTR game would be nice. I didn't mention LOTR because I felt Shadow of Modor 1/2 were excellent games so it's not like we've been devoid of good LOTR games in the same way that we were with the Harry Potter franchise.

Last edited:

Krathoon

The NPCs in the Witcher 1 look like they are all related. It is hilarious.

I also saw in this game some girls play riding on some brooms. Their dresses did not lift up over the brooms, they just clipped through them.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Its the sort of thing i dont pay attention to as its pretty much part of gaming. Why would they bother putting time into creating 400 unique npcs that are basically part of the scenery when those resources could be spent on performance or making interesting design elements.

I feel like some people pick holes for the sake of it, which must kinda suck when a game has SO many brilliant elements. Nothing is perfect and if you look hard enough you will always find something that isnt up to scratch.

The devs have outdone themaelves with this, its a joy to play and thats rare in gaming these days. No MTX, no SP, I mean wtf do devs need to do lol
I disagree. As much detail the environment has, and there's no denying that, that's no reason to replicate NPC's in the same area. It comes to a point where you can find 4, even 5 NPCs within the same small area that look exactly the same.

It's not super immersion breaking, but it tones it down a bit, at least for me.

I can deal with asset recycling, but in this case I think they were a bit lazy on that regard.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
We need to talk about the lightening in this game. Wtf is going on. Sometimes it feels like you're playing a gorgeous game, and other times you're completely taken out of the immersion by the flatness.

NyHLxY4XlpGdXaf8UjVT0AIPm87U0Ge6tWrLfLY7.jpeg

GN3Y6wbteLSHJYTsEvEETmxoaPM1AFf46wQFuYQH.jpeg

fHwunlOB6JrYYwxUgPo9Ke3mneDZyNgzyoAb7t4n.jpeg

same.

There is also some weird audio issue where if you lower the pitch of a characters voice, they sound like a robot lol I thought when I was making the character and testing it only in that part it would sound that way....

nah, they talk that way the whole time after, so I might start over and just remove all that.

P PillsOff I feel like this game was made for the night setting as everything in the day time looks really washed out.

Sorta like how most Yakuza games as Dragon Engine was sorta designed around more night then day.

edit. will play with the settings to see if I can get it to look better

Last edited:

anthony2690

Anyone figured out map following sidequest, I don't want to Google anything or risk spoiling the game, but this quest is driving me mad, as I don't want to miss any side stuff XD

Very mild sidequest spoiler below.
quest name: ghost of our love (it's one of them map quests)
I'm stumped on the locations as I'm not seeing any purple areas like with the last map quest I did

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
In one of the previews they mentioned 4 dungeons were in the game. Are those in the main quest or side activities to discover in the map does anyone know?

The "four dungeons" likely refer to:

four trials the MC has to do to "Beat the Big Bad" or whatever. They are the Divine Beasts. Literally, you get the quests from dead heroes of old.

There are numerous other "dungeons" that are not these.

- SNIP -

The game clearly did not set out to innovate and the developer is perfectly fine with that. It's HP in a competent open world - no more, no less.

. . .as for gameplay, I dunno, it all does feel like a whimsical "Teen Wizard" adventure which is what they set out to do. Combat I find to be really good (I'm not entirely sure what my build is, and having all Spell Slots open gives me anxiety as to what to slot now that I have enough spells to go in them all), the puzzles all over the place are fun open world trials (including the Merlin Trials) that to me are more about discovery than anything else and totally disagree about the overall quality of the voice work - for sure some of the AI generated voices aren't great, but those duds are few and far between. The MC and especially your Professors and other named characters are top notch in their delivery (including the ones that are over the top tropey in their delivery).

And I say this as someone with zero emotional investment in this property. Will I 100% this? Probably not. But there's definitely enough here to carry me through to Wo Long next month.

Alex11

Yeah it definitely does.

I've seen up to 21GB RAM usage (with 32GB ram capacity). VRAM usage is 11-13GB on the GPU. The game is memory intensive. 16GB ain't gonna cut it.
So I can play on my antique 1050 ti Cyberpunk no problem at medium and many other recent games but not Hogwarts, damn, it's a bit harsh. It doesn't look that good to merit those high requirements, shame, I like HP and was on the verge of purchasing it.

One thing though, If this was any other game I think people would be critiquing heavily on this fact.

Krathoon

I had to adjust the settings on my tv because it made the game too bight. I had it on Dynamic and I switched it to Natural.

Freeman76

Anyone figured out map following sidequest, I don't want to Google anything or risk spoiling the game, but this quest is driving me mad, as I don't want to miss any side stuff XD

Very mild sidequest spoiler below.
quest name: ghost of our love (it's one of them map quests)
I'm stumped on the locations as I'm not seeing any purple areas like with the last map quest I did

You have to go at night. The location is between hogwarts and hogmeade. Hipe thats vague enough

Krathoon

So I can play on my antique 1050 ti Cyberpunk no problem at medium and many other recent games but not Hogwarts, damn, it's a bit harsh. It doesn't look that good to merit those high requirements, shame, I like HP and was on the verge of purchasing it.

One thing though, If this was any other game I think people would be critiquing heavily on this fact.
I notice the slow down with 16GB happens once in a while. I was running it with high settings on a 1080GTX. I went ahead and got it on the PC and PS5. Got a discount on the PC version.

I wanted to mess around with the PC version.

I can’t wait to play Hogwarts legacy (I’m a HUGE Harry Potter fan)but I do hope the same developers make a game with the classic characters and you playing through all the books / movies. I want to relive the classic story through the game with this high fidelity, detail and care.
Rvxwab4.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've never seen all the movies, only maybe the first one when it first came out. Probably gonna binge the movies over the weekend and hopefully the game is delivered by Monday.

Boneless

Decided to get it on PC rather than my PS5. Played about an hour and really impressed so far! God voiceacting, engaging story, wand spells feel good. Impressive graphics with some great lightning and shadows as well.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Is there any setting to lock the camera in a way that the enemy NPC always stays at the center of the screen, like most games do? I know you can lock with R3, but the camera does an amazing lousy job at keeping the enemy NPC centered on the screen.

jorgejjvr

If both options of performance are available to me. Which should I pick?

Is it a better resolution at performance, and locked 60 that HFR doesn't make sense to pick?

Last edited:
I'm obsessed with this game. Gameplay is so good. It's not doing anything new but it's so well made. Kind of like ghost of tsushima, but better.
I wasn't a fan of the wizarding world. Watched the movies years ago and thought they were meh. Never did read the books.
Walking around Hogsmead brings back nostalgic memories of my past visits to Universal Studios Orlando. lol

Freeman76

Natty: we need to find archie asap, the dark wizards have him and wont hesitate to kill the child

Me: Hang on a sec I think there's a mushroom I can pick back there

I feel like some people pick holes for the sake of it, which must kinda suck when a game has SO many brilliant elements. Nothing is perfect and if you look hard enough you will always find something that isnt up to scratch...
i feel like some people look at every new game & think 'now, why can't this game include things that are in games that have much greater size budgets & larger numbers of development personnel?'...

Last edited:

ABeezy1388

I’m level 8, did a main quest and I think 2 side quests. Finally walking up to to Hogsmeade, and I’m just so fascinated with this game.

I wish this shit was real so bad! Lol

Krathoon

What is great about Harry Potter is that it is written in a way that the wizard world is supposed to exist in the real world.

Doctor Who used to be like that, but now it is like in it's own universe. That happened when they introduced different prime ministers and a different American president.

Top Bottom