• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Hoppa

I just learned Incendio, not that far in. Really enjoying this game so far, it looks great and combat is more satisfying than I would’ve expected for a game like this. Named my character Flipendo Jones

School Cooking GIF by Harry Potter

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, this game is a lot of fun so far! Just makes you feel good.

The only thing that's a little bit disappointing so far is the performance mode on PS5. It does seem to be mostly a solid 60fps, but there are obvious hitches rather frequently. Happens when finding new fast travel flames among other things, but also just "randomly". Might be loading hitches, not sure. But no huge deal.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Those mumming knights on the corridors... Just seen the most random shit ever ahah. Keep your eyes open for those.

I wonder how last gen consoles are going to handle streaming the castle? Could just be poor optimization but it hitches a bit on next gen consoles, especially when sprinting or leaving an interior

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Where is a venemouis tentacula? I need one for miss Garlick. Sounds like a spider thing?
You can pick some from the plants in the greenhouse one time, otherwise it’s the shop ‘Dogweed and Deathcap’ in Hogsmeade way to the north west with the mushroom icon.

Last edited:

RafterXL

I watched the first Harry Potter movie and it was actually pretty good. I think if I had seen it as a kid it would have blown me away. My biggest takeaway was how many little things from the game that didn't mean much to me that I now understood. If I'm picking up on these things as a novice to the series, I'd image you'd have to be pretty damn happy if you're a hard-core fan of the IP.

The whole thing just seems joyful, which makes the controversy unfortunate. I get Willy Wonka meets Mary Poppins meets Hocus Pocus vibes. Anyway, I feel bad for the (online) HP fans that have to wade through this shitstorm because a few crazies.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Wife and i just picked up an x and the game. Looking forward to diving in. Not a huge potter fan, but it looks rad and appreciate what it represents.

My wife is a HUGE fan so its going to be fun seeing her fan girl out to all the nuance and context.

I hope she has fun. As a huge fan myself it's been a blast. Basically a big love letter to fans or even casual readers.

j0hnnix

I'm really enjoying this game. I ended up getting it Thursday but busy with work, played some Friday night and today.. finally got the broom and I'm just flying around like a crazying person and did some Dark Arts Arena.

Now once again have to put Judgement in the back burner. I'm never going to finish Judgement and Lost Judgement.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Wife and i just picked up an x and the game. Looking forward to diving in. Im not a huge potter fan, but it looks rad and appreciate what it represents.

My wife is a HUGE fan so its going to be fun seeing her fan girl out to all the nuance and context.
Hah! Being someone who followed Harry Potter but wasn’t really a huge fan; handing the controller over to super-fans to play with their own character it’s almost like watching kids at Christmas, and it‘s almost the better part of the game for me. Despite having to hand the controller up.

Last edited:

Krathoon

It would have been great to have a sultry woman say, "Oh, I remember, back when I was a little boy...", and then they just leave it at that.

Then it just makes you wonder.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Honestly, I’m really interested to see how (or if) the story ever addresses the fact that a teenager from Hogwart’s:

J5yC2Rn.jpg

…is on a rampage slaughtering fauna and sentient beings on a scale that would make Nathan Drake feel inadequate. I mean, dark wizards are being evaporated via ancient magic and my dude’s all like “shame no one was here to witness that”. Then he goes and attends a class with Professor Garlick with zero trauma. Sociopath vibes, lmao.

Room of requirement is amazing, but is there any way to change the music? The mission had some really nice ambient music, then when you’re decorating it’s just annoying, especially if you set the ambience of the room to moonlit.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Honestly, I’m really interested to see how (or if) the story ever addresses the fact that a teenager from Hogwart’s:

J5yC2Rn.jpg

…is on a rampage slaughtering fauna and sentient beings on a scale that would make Nathan Drake feel inadequate. I mean, dark wizards are being evaporated via ancient magic and my dude’s all like “shame no one was here to witness that”. Then he goes and attends a class with Professor Garlick with zero trauma. Sociopath vibes, lmao.
It is pretty nuts. It is like going to college and wiping out gangs and the police just let you get away with it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

J5yC2Rn.jpg

NPCs get upset if you use dark magic, but not that you’re killing hundreds of people at a time while making nonchalant quips about how they had it coming.

I do think they took the easy way out by ignoring it instead of building non-lethal outcomes into the mechanics and incorporating a morality system to better reflect the perspective of the books. Would’ve taken the game to the next level.

has anyone heard of frame stuttering issues on PS5? It’s very weird, it’s like the game starts rewinding itself over and over then resetting like 5 times per second, rapidly. It doesn’t always happen but when it does it takes a few minutes to stop. It’s always intermittent

BFIB

This is insane. Remembered I had a Best Buy Gift Card from Christmas, went to Best Buy....out of the PS5 version. Then my wife reminded me I had Amazon credit to use, log into Amazon to buy the game....and it's out of stock on the standard edition.

3liteDragon

I haven’t even started my main quests yet, been exploring the castle this whole time. It’s fucking incredible, the attention to detail’s impeccable. There’s so much you can discover on your own just by wandering around the place, the place feels alive. There’s so much going on everywhere.

And the music throughout all this: 💯

IMG_2427.png

IMG_2424.png

IMG_2425.png

IMG_2428.png

IMG_2426.png

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Game definetely has some issues with HDR. Just did the herbology class, and during some cutscene angles HDR is good, while in other becomes more washed out.

And it's not my TV, because this doesn't happen in any other game.

Last edited:
I guess I've found my 'fashionwarts' look

wlrfUki.jpg

Also I'm pretty glad I turned off the minimap and quest markers from the start, I've become fairly good at navigating the castle even without the book bird whisp thing, and the open world tends to have good markers everywhere to orient yourself if you're flying.

Power Pro

This game's sidequests love to tempt me...I still don't know if these choices have any significance, but every time I see a real asshole option, it's so tempting to do lol

I'm not in Slytherin! I shouldn't be wanting to pick these, haha.

J5yC2Rn.jpg

lol yeah. You literally vaporize a troll in the middle of town and the cop lady is like: "Nice."

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm still learning magic in Hogwarts. Fun. I've allowed myself to do a little exploring in between that
first hamlet mission where you have to meet that girl
. It's still pretty early in the game but I'm not rushing this one. Love the world. I'm sure there will be some constructive criticisms that a hopeful sequel can address but it's a beautiful world to explore.

G-Bus

Banned
Game flows nicely if that makes any sense. Feels like there's so much to do.

I'd really like my broom now. Need to explore.

The lock on is garbage. I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it but I'd like to see it fixed. Only complaint I have outside of minor performance stuffs.

Last edited:

zkorejo

Yeah, for sure a more authentic LOTR game would be nice. I didn't mention LOTR because I felt Shadow of Modor 1/2 were excellent games so it's not like we've been devoid of good LOTR games in the same way that we were with the Harry Potter franchise.
Shadow of Mordor was good. I played when it came out and enjoyed it but it didn't really remind me of LOTR if I'm being honest. Loved nemesis system, that's all I remember from it.

The locations for example, no shire, no rivendell no old forest, no wizards, no dwaeven city. Even the new tv show has amazing locations. It's like if Hogwarts legacy was set in London and not Hogwarts castle and surrounding areas.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, this game is a lot of fun so far! Just makes you feel good.

The only thing that's a little bit disappointing so far is the performance mode on PS5. It does seem to be mostly a solid 60fps, but there are obvious hitches rather frequently. Happens when finding new fast travel flames among other things, but also just "randomly". Might be loading hitches, not sure. But no huge deal.
How does it look though? I am on PC running the game on a 3080 which is almost 2x more powerful than the PS5 and man the framerate is a mess in hogsmead. 45 fps. game doesnt even look that good indoors. like its missing AO or shadows. then you outside and it looks stunning.

But yes, this game is special. I am getting that Rockstar caliber feeling from this game. The world is full of life and other details. The music really makes you feel good just being in this game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I haven’t even started my main quests yet, been exploring the castle this whole time. It’s fucking incredible, the attention to detail’s impeccable. There’s so much you can discover on your own just by wandering around the place, the place feels alive. There’s so much going on everywhere.

And the music throughout all this: 💯

IMG_2427.png

IMG_2424.png

IMG_2425.png

IMG_2428.png

IMG_2426.png
is PS5 using RT shadows and refflections. Game looks nothing like that on PC with RT off.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

is PS5 using RT shadows and refflections. Game looks nothing like that on PC with RT off.
I'm playing on fidelity RT, it's definitely using RT reflections from what I can tell. Don't know about shadows, would be nice if we got a DF breakdown. The game's not a technical masterpiece or anything but it's still a looker. I have version 1.03 on PS5, I thought that was the Day One patch but apparently it's not. There's visuals popping in most of the time when I'm turning around, few frame drops here & there but kinda rare for me so far, hope they can get this fixed ASAP.

Those are all gameplay screenshots btw, game doesn't have photo mode. Had to manually turn off all the HUD elements.

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
Watching the movies now on Peacock. I remember watching the first 2-3 when I was in grade school but don't remember them well.

Still don't consider myself a harry potter fan but the movies, and now the game is super compelling.

Top Bottom