• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Power Pro

Yep. That is the trans character. They kinda leaned into it. It would have been better if she had a more womanly voice.
Having someone whose trans in the harry potter world almost seems kinda silly to be honest, at least represented in this way. They have things like polyjuice potion which can change a person's appearance, I have to imagine there would be some magic that can change your sex, or even just pitch your voice better.

Last edited:
I am completely stumped by these door puzzles...you reveal a clue on them, and there are 2 rotating panels that you have to select the right two on before opening the door. The first one I got by trial and error, but I want to understand how I'm supposed to do this.
The moment you realize how to open them

cole sprouse GIF

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Recently started playing, and did the first Charms class. A weird thing: The tutorial on how to use Accio said to press the button again to release the object (i.e. the balls in the minigame), but that did NOT work for me. Instead I had to release R2 to release the balls. Bug, or...?

Krathoon

I found a neat thing about JK Rowling. It shows that she has never said a transphobic comment.:

Last edited:
Why does Rookwood (the Hogsmeade crime boss guy) have the best looking character model in the game? You'd think they would've spent that time working on some of the more major characters. He looks like an actual person talking to cartoons lol

Krathoon

What are Rockwood's cronies called. They had a neat name. That bad witch and wizard enemies are kind of neat. The bad witches wear top hats.

Having someone whose trans in the harry potter world almost seems kinda silly to be honest, at least represented in this way. They have things like polyjuice potion which can change a person's appearance, I have to imagine there would be some magic that can change your sex, or even just pitch your voice better.
That's the issue with trying to introduce Trans characters in fantasy; usually in such worlds if you want to change your gender you just do it all the way. Or if you want to be canon to Alchemy you become a hermaphrodite as a side effect of obtaining eternal youth. Trying to have Trans characters imply that the character was a failure in potioncraft in doing the gender fusion WRONG.

In Fate Grand Order, there are several characters who were canonically born male but had since shaped their bodies to be 100% female by choice. Most were Alchemists. There is even one genderless character because It was a Golem. And of course there is at least one cross-dressser that most would have heard about.

Being Trans is just the nessesity due to the inadequacy of our technology. The unhappy middle ground. I have no ill will towards trans people but don't try to push the flaws of real life in worlds where magic is real and gender fuidity is a thing.

Last edited:

hrab

I am enjoying the game most of the time but I am a bit surprised by all the praise.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I find that there is a ton of jank and lots of weird design choices and don’t get me started on the poor voice acting. So many voices seem like they do not fit the character. Many voice actors sound very robotic and bored.

Lots of the chatter also feels disconnected or only mildly related, like it’s AI generated. Also lots of overlapping dialogues.

I also dislike the amount of time you need to spend inside the menu system, how poor the loading times are (PS5) and how much of it there is.

Animations are very janky and glitch out an awful lot.

It seems like most gameplay elements are baby’s first videogame, except for the combat. Those Merlin trials are laughable at best.

Despite all this, there is a lot the game does right and you can see the amount of love that went into it. There is fun to be had and especially for fans, it can be a magical time.
Yeah, hogwarth itself is outstanding, but the game has a lot of flaws. I played like 7-8 hours only, but all the students I've met so far are super boring. I am disappointed about the lack of real social interactions, I was hoping to spend some time in the dormitory in the evenings, chatting to other students, then chatting to them again during breakfast in the dining hall, in general just hanging out persona style, but so far there is nothing like that.

I didn't even have a reason to go back to my room yet and I am starting to think that I will never have, as even if I have a quest that requires me to pass time (like go to the class during daytime), the bedroom is non interactive, and I can only pass the time from the map menu, lol. But then again considering how boring other students are (so far at least), maybe there is not that much to regret, as even though i would like to hang out, I haven't yet met a single person worth spending time with. And we have a great common room with zero reason to go there, excepty maybe to listen to Chopin pieces on the self-playing piano, which i really adore.

The main character is also extremely bland, it has no personality. Although I was choosing "good" dialog options only, maybe it is better when following the asshole path.

Regarding disconnected chatter I fully agree, some of them are abysmall. I listened to three students talking about owls and sending mails, and while mail was the theme of the conversation it felt like each of them was talking to themselves, not really responding to what other have said. The conversation made no sense, just random sentences about mail. And combined with ff7 remake quality of voice delivery of that chatter, i had to really force myslef to hear them out, which is a damn shame.

Overall hearing that pseudo chatter while running around this freaking amazing castle is quite a contrast of quality.

I do enjoy the game, but I fear that when I will get used to how awesome hogwarth is, a lot of the charm will evaporate. I can only hope that if they ever do a sequel, they will get some inspiration from persona games.

Last edited:

ABeezy1388

So what’s the deal with the inventory and selling your stuff? Just sell off everything you’re not using but you keep the appparence(s) for all this stuff? Or? I guess how’s it work exactly?

Krathoon

That's the issue with trying to introduce Trans characters in fantasy; usually in such worlds if you want to change your gender you just do it all the way. Or if you want to be canon to Alchemy you become a hermaphrodite as a side effect of obtaining eternal youth. Trying to have Trans characters imply that the character was a failure in potioncraft in doing the gender fusion WRONG.
All they had to do is give her a sultry voice. Like Kathleen Turner.

Last edited:

hrab

So what’s the deal with the inventory and selling your stuff? Just sell off everything you’re not using but you keep the appparence(s) for all this stuff? Or? I guess how’s it work exactly?
you can sell everything you are not wearing. sold items will still be available for appearance change.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Another thing I don't quite get: The defense against dark arts class teaches you to use a yellow spell (like Levioso) to break through yellow shields, but then in the duel you have to do I didn't even have to use it. I just did a Protego and his shield was gone. So that also breaks shields?

Hugare

Played it for 3h, and it was exactly what I expected, for better or worse

Looks good, very polished, but the UI is horrible. Takes too much from the screen. Menus are also mobile-ish in look.

Voice acting is subpar. Main character in particular sounds like he was voiced by an AI because he is so monotone.

I was a huge potterhead when I was young, so exploring Hogwarts is easily the highlight. They did a great job creating it.

Combat is serviceable so far. Saw some people saying that it opens up, so we will see. Story so far is meh with characters that I dont give a damn. Gringotts cart setpiece looked cool tho.

Seems like a fun game that some people will say its the second coming of Christ while others will absolutely hate it because both of them have some axes to grind, when the truth is actualy in the middle.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I always found it funny how Fantasic Beasts didn't really do well.

The story is also kind of annoying. It is about Dumbledore being a chicken shit and not facing down his ex gay lover until the last moment.

Last edited:

hrab

Another thing I don't quite get: The defense against dark arts class teaches you to use a yellow spell (like Levioso) to break through yellow shields, but then in the duel you have to do I didn't even have to use it. I just did a Protego and his shield was gone. So that also breaks shields?
When you hold the shield button long when getting hit you automatically cast a different spell (dont remember the name) that breaks the shield. You can probably see it in the spell edit window, under standard actions or sth like that.

so basically short press - just the shield, long press - shield + break and stun (I believe)

Last edited:

Krathoon

The game also puts you in a fight with a witch that uses the red shield that you have to use incendio or the disarming spell to break. That totally threw me off.
It seems like the baddies like to use red shields.

Krathoon

When you hold the shield button long when getting hit you automatically cast a different spell (dont remember the name) that breaks the shield. You can probably see it in the spell edit window, under stnadard actions or sth like that.
That is stupify. I guess it breaks all shields?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
When you hold the shield button long when getting hit you automatically cast a different spell (dont remember the name) that breaks the shield. You can probably see it in the spell edit window, under standard actions or sth like that.

so basically short press - just the shield, long press - shield + break and stun (I believe)

I know about that one (since the into teaches it), but no, I just did a basic guard and his shield broke.

It really bugs me when games teach you things and then they don't actually work that way, lol. Same with the Accio instructions being completely wrong.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

same.

There is also some weird audio issue where if you lower the pitch of a characters voice, they sound like a robot lol I thought when I was making the character and testing it only in that part it would sound that way....

nah, they talk that way the whole time after, so I might start over and just remove all that.

@PillsOff I feel like this game was made for the night setting as everything in the day time looks really washed out.

Sorta like how most Yakuza games as Dragon Engine was sorta designed around more night then day.

edit. will play with the settings to see if I can get it to look better
You can change the pitch in the audio settings, not sure why youd even wanna mess with that as its always gonna sound artificial

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Played a tiny bit since it's late and I am tired but man !!!
I didn't even made it through the intro into the vault yet. I am playing so slow looking at everything. The game looks and sounds fantastic.
I've spent 30 minutes in the character creation and you can make some really nice looking witches. I do am cursed to select biggest afro possible in every game with character customization, so I am playing as wizard. Maybe I will restart

For graphics, both Quality30 and Balanced40 feel good. Are there tradeoffs or is balanced just 40fps quality? I have to say it's not the worst feeling 30fps game this gen. Feels ok actually.
Performance mode looks good too. Unlocked hits about 65 fps but not sure if uncapping the modes changes target resolution or not. HFR is too blurry for me.
Think I will just play in capped 40 balanced.
As for audio - Home Cinema is probably just least compressed audio? I play on tv speakers and c1 actually got good speakers. Some time ago I discovered that some games benefit if you set you ps5 to sound bar setting instead of tv.
And another positive impression for Dualsense. I am actually surprised you can feel your low health heartbeat, wind, spellcasting and so on. I like that trigger locks in 50% position for faster spell casting. Probably will be later different spells that require pressing it fully.

Anyway - highly positive impressions so far.

Negatives:
-Some weird temporal artifacts if you move camera past objects close to camera.
-Terrible dirty camera lens effect... with fingerprint smudges on it? Anyone noticed that>
-Some outline fringing around main character. Maybe sharpening

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
You can change the pitch in the audio settings, not sure why youd even wanna mess with that as its always gonna sound artificial

Why would I not mess with it when its an option in the creator a character screen that I want?

So you saying everyone was suppose to know those features are broken and how dare we expect them to work properly or? lol

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Why would I not mess with it when its an option in the creator a character screen that I want?

So you saying everyone was suppose to know those features are broken and how dare we expect them to work properly or? lol
Changing an audio recording artificially is always going to sound robotic. If you want it the option is there, noone is saying its good.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Changing an audio recording artificially is always going to sound robotic. If you want it the option is there, noone is saying its good.

Sure but, that sounds like something you should be saying to the development team.

They probably should have just used multiple voice actors to have many real options instead of some cheap "robotic" thing.

I didn't expect them to go that cheap route and will change the setting.

Sure but, that sounds like something you should be saying to the development team.

They probably should have just used multiple voice actors to have many real options instead of some cheap "robotic" thing.

I didn't expect them to go that cheap route and will change the setting.
I was very disappointed there was no Cockney option. Saints Row 2>Hogwarts Legacy.

Moneal

I know about that one (since the into teaches it), but no, I just did a basic guard and his shield broke.

It really bugs me when games teach you things and then they don't actually work that way, lol. Same with the Accio instructions being completely wrong.
You can redirect their spells back if you perfect block. That might be what happened.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Played a tiny bit since it's late and I am tired but man !!!
I didn't even made it through the intro into the vault yet. I am playing so slow looking at everything. The game looks and sounds fantastic.
I've spent 30 minutes in the character creation and you can make some really nice looking witches. I do am cursed to select biggest afro possible in every game with character customization, so I am playing as wizard. Maybe I will restart

For graphics, both Quality30 and Balanced40 feel good. Are there tradeoffs or is balanced just 40fps quality? I have to say it's not the worst feeling 30fps game this gen. Feels ok actually.
Performance mode looks good too. Unlocked hits about 65 fps but not sure if uncapping the modes changes target resolution or not. HFR is too blurry for me.
Think I will just play in capped 40 balanced.
As for audio - Home Cinema is probably just least compressed audio? I play on tv speakers and c1 actually got good speakers. Some time ago I discovered that some games benefit if you set you ps5 to sound bar setting instead of tv.
And another positive impression for Dualsense. I am actually surprised you can feel your low health heartbeat, wind, spellcasting and so on. I like that trigger locks in 50% position for faster spell casting. Probably will be later different spells that require pressing it fully.

Anyway - highly positive impressions so far.

Negatives:
-Some weird temporal artifacts if you move camera past objects close to camera.
-Terrible dirty camera lens effect... with fingerprint smudges on it? Anyone noticed that>
-Some outline fringing around main character. Maybe sharpening
Might the ‘temporal artifacts’ be the white targeting outline by any chance?

Top Bottom