• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

Got this for PS3 today. Have been playing MP for an hour and then put the game up for sale. Hated it.

Nah, just kidding. It's fantastic! Can't wait to play some more! The MP is so much fun!

M.W.

magicaltrevor said:
Got this for PS3 today. Have been playing MP for an hour and then put the game up for sale. Hated it.

Nah, just kidding. It's fantastic! Can't wait to play some more! The MP is so much fun!

Glad to see you're enjoying it. Pretty good impressions all around.

Mikey Jr.

magicaltrevor said:

Looking at the ps3 version just posted, it doesn't look as good generally. What are your thoughts?

Looking to pick up the ps3 version as well.

ArjanN

desu said:
This might also relate to the success of the game. I wouldn't be surprised about more frequent dlc/patches if the game indeed does as well as reported (lots of preorders for THQ). Weren't there also reports on how the future of the dev studio depends on the success of the game?

Yeah, they plan to support it, but it might be a different story if it's a flop obviously.

They made the pre-order pretty attractive by throwing in Metro 2033 and such, and all the PR, so at least THQ seems to be really putting their weight behind it.

It really hope it's a success, because that would be a nice boost for their currect business strategy of basically being the anti-Activision. I loved Darksiders/Metro 2033/Dawn of War 2/Red Faction, love their Steam support etc.

Spookie

Olivero said:
The vids so far tell me too much COD not enough BF.

I think that's more down to the individual. I'm watching people hover over an chopper then passing to respawn as infantry and continuing to play the game like it's a CoD clone.

Of course when someone on the other side selects a toy they get their arse handed to them.

ArjanN

Spookie said:
I think that's more down to the individual. I'm watching people hover over an chopper then passing to respawn as infantry and continuing to play the game like it's a CoD clone.

Of course when someone on the other side selects a toy they get their arse handed to them.

It doesn't seem very COD to me, for one there's the vehicles that you actually control but more importantly the maps seem bigger. In COD the maps are small with lots of blind corners and even if you kill people they just spawn behind you again, so to do well you have to keep running around rambo-style.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Seems like COD shooting mechanics and such (perks) in a BF world. The maps are too big, vehicles, etc., for it to be more COD than BF. Strikes a good balance between the two, from what I can see.

Makoto

The stories that are going to come out of people buying vehicles are going to be hilarious.

"There's a tank covering B, we need someone to buy an RPG to take it out."

"Bitch I just bought a helicopter."

*destroys tank with helicopter*

fyeah_THE_COURAGE_WOLF_COLLECTION_SAYS-s268x226-85124-535.png

Just bought a pair of Tritton headsets, 3.99 amazon one day shipping. Will receive them just in time for Glorious homefront action. I can't believe how hyped I am for this game.

IMACOMPUTA

campaign=shit.

Such an obvious COD clone.
Absolutely awful dialogue (writing and acting).
NPCs NEVER LET YOU OPEN DOORs. and they WALK SLOOOOOOOOOOW.
It's like someone is always in my way. I have to wait for them to craaaawl to the door in order to get to the next scene.

I also dont understand how they could try SO hard to make this seem like it could really happen by doing a good job with the opening videos and the advertising up until the release and nailing the intro of the game with some really heavy stuff that really puts you in character..
but then make it in the near future with blue laser mechs and weirdo future korean soldiers. It totally pulls me out of the game.
It would have helped the immersion so much to have things look more modern.

ArjanN said:
Yeah, they plan to support it, but it might be a different story if it's a flop obviously.

They made the pre-order pretty attractive by throwing in Metro 2033 and such, and all the PR, so at least THQ seems to be really putting their weight behind it.

It really hope it's a success, because that would be a nice boost for their currect business strategy of basically being the anti-Activision. I loved Darksiders/Metro 2033/Dawn of War 2/Red Faction, love their Steam support etc.
Totally fkn agree!!!!! if one can be a fanboy of a publisher, then I am one of THQ. Their output so far this gen has been awesome. They've taken risks with new IPs and also improved their older ones. I really hope this game's a success.

So this is a Steamworks title and there will be dedicated servers, are there going to be any community toolsets? Will there be user made maps or mods in this game? What are the devs like in that regard?

Eh, watching some videos of the multi-player in action I just see more of Modern Warfare's influence of constant validation and positive reinforcement with experience points or a score popping up for ever minute action done, equipment loadouts and am kind of put off. I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and any of the recent Call of Duty's or the most recent Medal of Honor, all of these games look the same to me.

jaundicejuice said:
Eh, watching some videos of the multi-player in action I just see more of Modern Warfare's influence of constant validation and positive reinforcement with experience points or a score popping up for ever minute action done, equipment loadouts and am kind of put off. I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and any of the recent Call of Duty's or the most recent Medal of Honor, all of these games look the same to me.

Well the score pop up in this game is used to buy armor and drones and what have you with, so it at least makes sense.

I'm tempted to pick this up, it looks like it could be a blast for a few days.
I'm worried of what the community will come up with though to cheapen the game within a week after release, so not sure if it'll be worth the 40 euros...

Wish there was a demo for this (talking about the pc version btw).

M.W.

I've heard so many positive things about the single player and multiplayer. Can't wait for Tuesday!

Mikey Jr. said:
Looking at the ps3 version just posted, it doesn't look as good generally. What are your thoughts?

Looking to pick up the ps3 version as well.

I didn't really compare, but to me it looks just fine. And I'm pretty sensitive about these things.
Sometimes there's a bit of tearing, but nothing game-breaking and the framerate is solid.

Don't worry about it. It's safe to buy the PS3 version.

Matchmaking and joining/inviting friends is great as well. It's exactly like COD with cross-game invites and all.

Heavy said:
Totally fkn agree!!!!! if one can be a fanboy of a publisher, then I am one of THQ. Their output so far this gen has been awesome. They've taken risks with new IPs and also improved their older ones. I really hope this game's a success.

I've seen this terminology before here. Does it honestly feel like the "taking risks" thing is applicable here? It's a modern war shooter. It may be great enough to hang with the rest and have enough distinguishing features to stand on its own, but it's another one of those from a developer who recently made something similar, new IP or not.

CryptiK

So I tried getting this in the equal distribution thread but I'll try here anyway can someone help me get the steam version? I have paypal thats not the problem the problem is that the Price difference in Aus is stupid. 49.99 USD does not equal 79.99 USD in Australia so if someone is able to help I will get you the funds straight away over paypal PM me.

addyb

Mmm still on the fence about this. Don't get me wrong I'm hearing positive feedback and the footage looks promising but I remember thinking the same about moh and got burned by that. Saying that it was the real lack of maps and customisation that killed it for me.

Thing is I've had enough of cod, it's become real old for me so need another online shooter.
I do like the idea of using your points etc to buy better weapons, equipment etc like counter strike did it. I love counter strike so hopefully this has got something that will interest me.

jonremedy

CryptiK said:
So I tried getting this in the equal distribution thread but I'll try here anyway can someone help me get the steam version? I have paypal thats not the problem the problem is that the Price difference in Aus is stupid. 49.99 USD does not equal 79.99 USD in Australia so if someone is able to help I will get you the funds straight away over paypal PM me.

It's Steamworks, so why don't you just buy it at retail?

CryptiK said:

Similar situation in NZ. It's US$79.99 on Steam, but only US$49.99 on GamersGate, so I went with that one.

CryptiK

jonremedy said:
It's Steamworks, so why don't you just buy it at retail?
because retail is 99.99 AUD >.>

lastplayed said:
Similar situation in NZ. It's US$79.99 on Steam, but only US$49.99 on GamersGate, so I went with that one.
Im after the TF2 item aswell so the GamersGate doesnt help.. :(

jonremedy

CryptiK said:
because retail is 99.99 AUD >.>

Im after the TF2 item aswell so the GamersGate doesnt help.. :(

Hehehehe. Then I don't understand why you Australians are complaining about Steam prices when it's cheaper than retail :p They're just priced according to the market.

MMaRsu

Marcellus Wallace said:
I've heard so many positive things about the single player and multiplayer. Can't wait for Tuesday!

I';ve only heard bad things about the single player, and it's only 4/5 hours long.

M.W.

MMaRsu said:
I';ve only heard bad things about the single player, and it's only 4/5 hours long.

Well, I'm really not buying this for the campaign anyway. I'll jump straight into MP right away and check out SP from time to time.

Klocker

Like Battlefield. If you are buying it for single Player, you're doing it wrong! :D

I believe the SP is done well based on several reports of people playing and being drawn into the (short) story. BUT I believe the only reason SP is there is to give the game an identity in the marketplace. It calls attention to itself and the relocation to "home soil" (for many of us) is unique in that vein. In today's marketplace, even to sell the MP aspect, you need a hook, an identity. That's all this SP is.

do people buy 15 million copies of black Ops to play the SP as an operative? hell no. they buy it because all of their friends tell them how ADDICTING multiplayer is.

but black ops is an identity.

the game is built for MP.

CAW

Been reading a lot of hype and popularity surrounding the MP but has anyone that got the game early given the SP a go? How does it add up in terms of buying the game for the SP alone?

If it's worth it, I'm going to buy the PC version, if it's short with little to no replay value then I'll probably just rent the 360 version or something.

Like Battlefield. If you are buying it for single Player, you're doing it wrong! :D

I believe the SP is done well based on several reports of people playing and being drawn into the (short) story. BUT I believe the only reason SP is there is to give the game an identity in the marketplace. It calls attention to itself and the relocation to "home soil" (for many of us) is unique in that vein. In today's marketplace, even to sell the MP aspect, you need a hook, an identity. That's all this SP is.

do people buy 15 million copies of black Ops to play the SP as an operative? hell no. they buy it because all of their friends tell them how ADDICTING multiplayer is.

Very true, good point. I was hoping it would have a solid SP aspect just because of the writer (John Milius - Red Dawn). The last THQ game I bought was Metro2033 which I loved! But I guess that's a different situation altogether considering it didn't even have MP.

CAW said:
Been reading a lot of hype and popularity surrounding the MP but has anyone that got the game early given the SP a go? How does it add up in terms of buying the game for the SP alone?

If it's worth it, I'm going to buy the PC version, if it's short with little to no replay value then I'll probably just rent the 360 version or something.

Very true, good point. I was hoping it would have a solid SP aspect just because of the writer (John Milius - Red Dawn). The last THQ game I bought was Metro2033 which I loved! But I guess that's a different game altogether considering it didn't even have MP.
No, don't buy it just for the SP. From all accounts it's short and probably has no replay value. Just rent it like you said

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
All single player impressions have mentioned good things about the campaign, although short, I still can't wait to play it.

It does have some replay value too in multiple difficulties, achievements, and collectables.

I wouldn't buy it just for the campaign, but it will still add some great value to the package.

M.W.

legacyzero said:
Think I'm taking off work early for this. Simply cannot wait to play it. The latest multiplayer footage pretty much cemented that.

Yeah, I might do the same. Can't believe some people are already level 40+. Must be some addicting shit.

Klocker said:

Game developers shouldn't get a free pass on bad SP campaigns just because there is a focus on MP. Anyway THQ has been pushing how great the SP is, it's not unreasonable to expect it to be halfway decent.

Top Bottom