• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

Bless Woody's little heart. He was blasting Battlefield 3 and saying the Battlefield series is to slow. I guess it upsets him a medic can rack up more points by actually helping his teammates out rather than spawn trapping people in domination.

Enosh

Deadly Cyclone said:
A review from a CoD commentator? Yeah...

How in the hell do you get hired to commentate CoD? Of course he is going to say it is bad.
it's not his job to commentate CoD
he commentates games and he prefers CoD, he isn't payed by IW or Treyarch or activision, he is payed by machinima

NIN90

So I walked into a local shop today because I wanted to get a new game for the weekend and I noticed that the shop got a few Homefront copies early. "Sweet" I thought and walked out with a PC copy.
Just tried to install it. Game is a steamworks title. Unlocks in approximately 2 days and 10 hours. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
NIN90 said:
So I walked into a local shop today because I wanted to get a new game for the weekend and I noticed that the shop got a few Homefront copies early. "Sweet" I thought and walked out with a PC copy.
Just tried to install it. Game is a steamworks title. Unlocks in approximately 2 days and 10 hours. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I experienced a very similar situation with Dawn of War 2.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
valentine71 said:
I checked the controls. While default scheme is same as CoD, only alternative scheme is southpaw. It explains itself i guess :)
FUUUU. Right stick to melee and B to crouch is the wrong way! Thanks for checking.

MMaRsu

Jesus how can you make a review based on 20 minutes, what a freaking clown.

Sad to see people actually listen to this moron.

"If you look at Crysis and Battlefield 3 close enough they look a little better than say... Black Ops but it's not night and day. They're roughly the same."

Who is this clown and why does ANYBODY listen to him? WOW.

zorbsie

I find it weird that there is no difficulty settings for the game. Can't remember the last FPS I've played that didn't have them. Played through the first 3 levels without any real trouble. So maybe its not an issue. Having fun with it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
zorbsie said:
I find it weird that there is no difficulty settings for the game. Can't remember the last FPS I've played that didn't have them. Played through the first 3 levels without any real trouble. So maybe its not an issue. Having fun with it.
Hmm, I read that there are different difficulty settings.

zorbsie said:
Really? Then how come there are achievements that mention harder difficulty?

Javaman

zorbsie said:
How are you guys playing it already if it's a steamworks activated game?

MMaRsu

Dabanton said:
The cheek to even label that a 'review' in his own words "I checked out homefront for 15 -20 mins"

I know right? And then you have people agreeing with this guy? THe fuck is going on ><

Javaman said:
How are you guys playing it already if it's a steamworks activated game?

Well the game has already come out here in The Netherlands, that I know for sure :).

Makoto

After being on the fence for so long, I just said screw it and pre-ordered it on PC. It could have a dismal playerbase which could dwindle in less than half a year but at least I'm supporting a new IP and a developer that's willing to develop their game to suit the needs of the platform. Oh and Metro 2033, that too.

procrastinator

Neo Member
MMaRsu said:
I know right? And then you have people agreeing with this guy? THe fuck is going on ><

Well the game has already come out here in The Netherlands, that I know for sure :).

Its not supposed to be out. Any stores that are selling it are breaking the street date.

verbum

MMaRsu said:

Any problems running it on the PC? What video card are you using?
I have been absent from PC gaming for quite a few years. I seem to recall PC games such as Half Life and Unreal installing and running a lot smoother and error-free than what I am reading about Metro 2033 and Stalker. The old games had patches but they were released quickly and publicized. Or am I looking at the past with rose colored glasses?
I tried the Crysis 2 demo and it stopped installing because of Microsoft Security Essentials, so I am not buying that one. I feel if the developers do not do real world testing and let a common program such as Essentials stop their installation, I do not have the time to buy and fix their product. Life is too short.
So if anyone sees any big time problems with this PC game, let me know so I can find something else. Thank you in advance.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah I am pretty sure there are difficulty settings as a lot of the achievements have you "beating the game on the hardest difficulty."

Unless it unlocks after you beat it once on whatever it is on now, who knows.

Also, I'm not sure that the game is officially out anywhere, so you must have just gotten lucky. :p

zorbsie said:

I think it asks before you start the campaign. Also you can change it under, options- game settings- campaign difficulty. There are 4 difficulty levels by the way- easy,normal, hard, guerilla.

Bboy AJ said:
FUUUU. Right stick to melee and B to crouch is the wrong way! Thanks for checking.

No problem.

Now gonna try multiplayer. I wanted to try this morning but it didn't let me, it kept disconnecting, giving error before starting a match.

Edit:

After 10 tries or so couldnt get into a Ground Control or a Skirmish match. TDM worked at the first try.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
They tell us about their lives and why other games can't measure up to Black Ops all while schooling noobs in Domination. And they get paid. Yeah!

So in other words...

codcommentator.jpg

MMaRsu said:
Jesus how can you make a review based on 20 minutes, what a freaking clown.

Sad to see people actually listen to this moron.

Who is this clown and why does ANYBODY listen to him? WOW.
I've been trying to wrap my head around this for the past 15 minutes (about as long as he played the game).

I just don't understand how this random guy got so popular. He's got 267,000 subscribers ffs and each video gets anywhere from 1000-2000+ comments. I'm completely baffled at how this moron got so popular and even more baffled at how many people follow what he's saying based on the comments.

20 minute review for Homefront?
Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 look "about the same as Black Ops"?
15 minute review for Brink?

Is this real life?

zorbsie

valentine71 said:
I think it asks before you start the campaign. Also you can change it under, options- game settings- campaign difficulty. There are 4 difficulty levels by the way- easy,normal, hard, guerilla.

I can't believe I missed that. But I do see the option under game settings now. My Bad. lol

Heavy said:
I've been trying to wrap my head around this for the past 15 minutes (about as long as he played the game).

I just don't understand how this random guy got so popular. He's got 267,000 subscribers ffs and each video gets anywhere from 1000-2000+ comments. I'm completely baffled at how this moron got so popular and even more baffled at how many people follow what he's saying based on the comments.

20 minute review for Homefront?
Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 look "about the same as Black Ops"?
15 minute review for Brink?

Is this real life?

I see you're new to youtube. I can upload a video of my buddy saying stupid shit in TF2 and get 60k+ views without any effort.

MMaRsu

TouchMyBox said:
I see you're new to youtube. I can upload a video of my buddy saying stupid shit in TF2 and get 60k+ views without any effort.

I'm not new to youtube but it's baffling me. The worst thing is so many people follow this guys word.. for what?? Because he's a Call of Duty commentator?

MMaRsu said:
I'm not new to youtube but it's baffling me. The worst thing is so many people follow this guys word.. for what?? Because he's a Call of Duty commentator?

There are people on youtube who view me as a god.

All my hype for this game went out the window as soon as I saw Engine: UE3

I am really sick of the heavy, 30 FPS style of UE3 shooters. And it IS a problem with the engine, not the framerate. Killzone is 30 fps and doesn't feel awkward like ue3 games. Those games just feel slow to me, and not in the good way like KZ2.

I'll give it a rent and if it blows me away I'll buy it. The only thing stopping me is that its a multiplat game, so if I buy it on PS3 the online will already be small, and in 9 months it will be dry, sooner on 360. I like sticking with exclusives because they have a guaranteed player base, usually.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
This is sounding awesome, a few concerns though. The line "anyone can save up for a big item" sounds ominous. Is the game just a constant barrage of power ups against powerups?

With killstreaks they're quite sporadic and can be dealt with or countered quickly. But a constant stream of them sounds chaotic. Are you just constantly dying in this and worrying about vehicles, UAVs and so on?

What's the pace of the game like? Blood and thunder? Tactical? Never feel safe?

kaizoku said:
This is sounding awesome, a few concerns though. The line "anyone can save up for a big item" sounds ominous. Is the game just a constant barrage of power ups against powerups?

With killstreaks they're quite sporadic and can be dealt with or countered quickly. But a constant stream of them sounds chaotic. Are you just constantly dying in this and worrying about vehicles, UAVs and so on?

The system, as I understood it, was similar to counterstrike and Modern Combat: Domination and MGS4 Online. You start the same, get a kill you can buy a weapon, 2 kills give you more points to spend, etc.

My only concern is can you save up points or do they go back to zero after you die? I was never into any of the above games I mentioned, so...

For some reason I'm really really curious about this game.

Waiting to hear from people picking up pc version what it's like.

A little wishlish (more like wishful thinking)

-functional graphics, nice contrast between player model and surroundings so you can see what's going on (and not too much bloom like in bc2) (!)

-dedi servers with full admin support and lots of filter options (!)

-mod tools (yeah right)

-Not dying in 0.5 seconds from anything that isn't a headshot. (!) (I guess this is already in the game for sure? :( )

-spread and recoil on guns

-no input lag or mouse accel (!), msaa support, being able to keybind every single action

The stuff with (!) added is pretty much mandatory for me to be able to enjoy a shooter.

Klocker

Day 1 for multiplayer alone

heard some impressions for someone who got it early and it sounds very fresh with the battle points system

MMaRsu

Meijimasha said:
All my hype for this game went out the window as soon as I saw Engine: UE3

I am really sick of the heavy, 30 FPS style of UE3 shooters. And it IS a problem with the engine, not the framerate. Killzone is 30 fps and doesn't feel awkward like ue3 games. Those games just feel slow to me, and not in the good way like KZ2.

I'll give it a rent and if it blows me away I'll buy it. The only thing stopping me is that its a multiplat game, so if I buy it on PS3 the online will already be small, and in 9 months it will be dry, sooner on 360. I like sticking with exclusives because they have a guaranteed player base, usually.

Have ya played Bulletstorm? Best UE3 shooter ever.

Makoto

SneakyStephan said:
-Not dying in 0.5 seconds from anything that isn't a headshot. (!) (I guess this is already in the game for sure? :( )

-spread and recoil on guns

If the 360/PS3 multiplayer videos uploaded so far are any indication, I think it's safe to say that the spread on something like the M4 is little to none and as a result, you're pretty much getting shot without being able to found out who shot you if it was from short to medium distance. Seems like the game will have some cases of "whoever finds who first" to it.

jonremedy

Meijimasha said:
The system, as I understood it, was similar to counterstrike and Modern Combat: Domination and MGS4 Online. You start the same, get a kill you can buy a weapon, 2 kills give you more points to spend, etc.

My only concern is can you save up points or do they go back to zero after you die? I was never into any of the above games I mentioned, so...

The points accumulate throughout the entire match. Dying does not reset them to zero.

kaizoku said:

''Tactical never feel safe''? It fits i think. Because of the spawn system you really dont feel safe. I dont know if you heard it but when you spawn, you see the tags of the players. So people have to keep up the pace if they dont want to die. Also people on kill streaks get tagged so they have to move too. But don't think that game is about running and gunning because of what i wrote. It just keeps the pace up and balances people's skills. I really had some fun playing it but graphics, gunplay and maps really feel weak.

Meijimasha said:

No, you dont lose your points when you die and also in MGOnline you were paying for the weapons too, in Homefront you pay for the extras like RPG, body armour, vehicles but you don't pay for basic weapons.

vidal said:
If the 360/PS3 multiplayer videos uploaded so far are any indication, I think it's safe to say that the spread on something like the M4 is little to none and as a result, you're pretty much getting shot without being able to found out who shot you if it was from short to medium distance. Seems like the game will have some cases of "whoever finds who first" to it.

I don't get why games keep doing this, what's the fun in that? It takes the interaction out of the game.

Being a better shot or having quick reactions doesn't matter anymore with these kinds of games.

The main thing that is making me curious about the game is the buying mechanic.
Is it really like in cs? (you die = you lose your weapon and have to buy a new one?)
I sure hope so.

Pistol rounds need to make a comeback, as does not every second player running around with a 50 cal sniper rifle.

jonremedy

SneakyStephan said:
I don't get why games keep doing this, what's the fun in that? It takes the interaction out of the game.

Being a better shot or having quick reactions doesn't matter anymore with these kinds of games.

The main thing that is making me curious about the game is the buying mechanic.
Is it really like in cs? (you die = you lose your weapon and have to buy a new one?)
I sure hope so.

Pistol rounds need to make a comeback, as does not every second player running around with a 50 cal sniper rifle.

Not at all. Guns are unlocked by gaining experience just like in BF2.

Top Bottom