• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

MrCompletely said:
THIS. I love how you get a quick snapshot of where the action is right when you spawn, especially on such big maps. Of course, spawning on a squad-mate might have worked better.

True, but how many times did you spawn on a teammate in BFBC2 only to be mowed down by someone rounding the corner on said teammate (and on you)?

WitchKing701 said:
True, but how many times did you spawn on a teammate in BFBC2 only to be mowed down by someone rounding the corner on said teammate (and on you)?

In those cases, you have no warning. In this, at least you'll KNOW you are about to be mowed down!

AWESOME HELP KILL TIME BEFORE RELEASE SURVEY

1. PC, 360, PS3? PC

2. Campaign or multi-player first? Will definitely save Amurrrica before going online

3. Class: Assault, SMG, Heavy, Sniper, Tactical, Stealth? Probably go SMG because I love firing SMGs unless it's just not viable in the large maps.

4. Fav vehicle: Humvee, Light Armor Vehicle (LAV), M1A3 Abrams, AH-700 Scout, AH-64 Apache? Love tanks so probably M1A3 Abrams

5. Fav drone: Ground Assault, Ground AntiTank, Air Recon, Air Assault? Maybe Air Recon drone. Spotting sounds like it'll be fun

6. Fav mode? I'll probably play the Battle Commander variant of Ground Control

7. Fav cheese? Jalapeno swiss

Heavy said:

1. PC, 360, PS3? PC

2. Campaign or multi-player first? Will definitely save Amurrrica before going online

3. Class: Assault, SMG, Heavy, Sniper, Tactical, Stealth? Probably go SMG because I love firing SMGs unless it's just not viable in the large maps.

4. Fav vehicle: Humvee, Light Armor Vehicle (LAV), M1A3 Abrams, AH-700 Scout, AH-64 Apache? Love tanks so probably M1A3 Abrams

5. Fav drone: Ground Assault, Ground AntiTank, Air Recon, Air Assault? Maybe Air Recon drone. Spotting sounds like it'll be fun

6. Fav mode? I'll probably play the Battle Commander variant of Ground Control

7. Fav cheese? Jalapeno swiss

LOL.

1. PC, 360, PS3? PS3 (Add me for some MP fun: Caemgen)

2. Campaign or multi-player first? Already started playing MP. Haven't touched the SP yet. Will check that out this weekend. Maybe.

3. Class: Assault, SMG, Heavy, Sniper, Tactical, Stealth? Explosive and sniper.

4. Fav vehicle: Humvee, Light Armor Vehicle (LAV), M1A3 Abrams, AH-700 Scout, AH-64 Apache? Apache.

5. Fav drone: Ground Assault, Ground AntiTank, Air Recon, Air Assault? Air Assault.

6. Fav mode? Ground Control.

7. Fav cheese? Dutch Old Cheese. Because I can't eat any other kind of cheese due to my lactose-intolerance. :-(

1. PC, 360, PS3? 360 (GT: TheApatheticOne - plz add me, dont want to play with pubs)

2. Campaign or multi-player first? Multi

3. Class: Assault, SMG, Heavy, Sniper, Tactical, Stealth? Stealth

4. Fav vehicle: Humvee, Light Armor Vehicle (LAV), M1A3 Abrams, AH-700 Scout, AH-64 Apache? LAV

5. Fav drone: Ground Assault, Ground AntiTank, Air Recon, Air Assault? Mixed between ground assault and air recon

6. Fav mode? Battle Commander variant of Ground Control

7. Fav cheese? Pepper Jack or Colby

I saw the first hour or so of the SP campaign, and it definately struck a nerve with me. I do appreciate that there is some down time between the action sequences (at least what I've seen so far).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not sure if posted, CVG gave Homefront an 8.6, linky.

They said:

"We'd go so far to say that this is the classiest, best value multiplayer shooter on the market, comfortably bettering both recent CoD monsters and edging ahead of Bad Company 2. It deserves a wide, fully engaged audience."

cackhyena said:
Where's the reviews? Figured at least a few would be out by now.

CVG just gave it an 8.6:

Call of Duty wants to wow you with scale, but in doing so, cruelly tells you that you're a speck on its vast wilderness. Homefront allows Jacobs to become the master of smaller locales, enabling a feeling of true territorial empowerment. Your mission is to take back America car park by car park, block by block. The fact that someone, somewhere may be doing the same in Vegas, or New England, or Texas, or Cleveland gives your role a sense of unity, interconnection and genuine purpose.

That's not to say Kaos can't do spectacle. Some of Homefront's set pieces rival the very best on the market. We'll have to skirt around spoilers here, but
a mass civilian grave plays a stomach-churning role in a bit of war voyeurism, whilst the phosphorous cloudburst-gone-wrong is one of the most intense five minutes you'll ever spend with a shooter.

The 'Follow Connor' prompt is symptomatic of our main gameplay gripe - another indication of Kaos' lack of confidence in the Modern Warfare generation to work things out for themselves. In each section, you'll have to wait for one of your unlikeable accomplices to reach ahead of you; to open doors or kick over obstacles. The power is therefore whipped out of your hands at various crucial moments, which kicks back against the 'Me vs. The World' enjoyment that other layers of Homefront nail so well. Whilst we're talking Half-Life, a 'zoom' feature would not have gone amiss in a game that leans so heavily on inter-character discussions and "My God, look over there" observations.

Throw in sprawling Ground Control missions, a fierce Skirmish mode and an impromptu priority-based mission generator in the form of the Battle Creator, and Homefront's multiplayer really packs a punch. We'd go so far to say that this is the classiest, best value multiplayer shooter on the market, comfortably bettering both recent CoD monsters and edging ahead of Bad Company 2. It deserves a wide, fully engaged audience.

Edit: beaten by Deadly!

Edit 2: spoiler'd per Bam.

mxgt

Banned
Was there ever an explanation as to why Homefront is not on Steam for people in the UK?

Would've probably ordered the nice steelbook from GAME anyway, but it's weird that everyone else has it available on Steam.

cackhyena

"We'd go so far to say that this is the classiest, best value multiplayer shooter on the market, comfortably bettering both recent CoD monsters and edging ahead of Bad Company 2."

I think I'll need more opinions before I swallow that. I want it to be true, though.

cackhyena said:
"We'd go so far to say that this is the classiest, best value multiplayer shooter on the market, comfortably bettering both recent CoD monsters and edging ahead of Bad Company 2."

I think I'll need more opinions before I swallow that. I want it to be true, though.

Might be hyperbolic but haven't really heard many complaints about the MP.

Anyone interested in guns/equipment/attachments/camo, check this vid out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZWA2ihShqQ&hd=1

And some PC MP gameplay (from an alpha, according to comments): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoTadEvoKf4

chixdiggit

So according to Steam this game will be out in 10 hours... is that right? I never knew they released games late at night.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Deadly Cyclone said:
Not sure if posted, CVG gave Homefront an 8.8, linky.

They said:

"We'd go so far to say that this is the classiest, best value multiplayer shooter on the market, comfortably bettering both recent CoD monsters and edging ahead of Bad Company 2. It deserves a wide, fully engaged audience."

I just preordered.

PSN is Tigerheli is anyone wants to do some MP tomorrow.

cackhyena

Like, just send out the drone and it's automatic as long as the enemy is outside, or is it you get to manually fly around and have to mark them yourself.

Flunkie

Banned
cackhyena said:
Like, just send out the drone and it's automatic as long as the enemy is outside, or is it you get to manually fly around and have to mark them yourself.
Manually fly it around. You can switch back and forth from your drone to your dude in case someone is a threat to you.

sw33tclyde said:
Didn't see this in the OP, will there be split screen(two gamertags on one screen) for MP?

Anyone know? Posted this a page back and got no response.

Probably going to pick this up at midnight, was hoping it's split screen so I can convince my room mate to pitch in half of the cost. :D

plc268

chixdiggit said:
So according to Steam this game will be out in 10 hours... is that right? I never knew they released games late at night.

I'll believe when I see it.

I've preordered a couple of things off of Steam, and the launches are almost always delayed at the last second.

It'd be nice if they offer a preload anytime soon.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
chixdiggit said:

They've started doing some midnight (PST) releases. DOW2 Retribution for instance came out at that time a couple of weeks ago.

I am torn over buying this for the MP alone, need to order it before tomorrow afternoon to make it for a good pre-order posting time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
sw33tclyde said:
Anyone know? Posted this a page back and got no response.

Probably going to pick this up at midnight, was hoping it's split screen so I can convince my room mate to pitch in half of the cost. :D

Nope, no split screen of any kind.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Nope, no split screen of any kind.

Ah figured this was the case, but thanks anyway for the confirmation. I'll likely still pick this up, Blops has gotten a bit stale for me.

If anyone comes across some Justin.tv streams or anything like that, please post 'em here. :)

eznark

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
Not sure if posted, CVG gave Homefront an 8.6, linky.

They said:

I am panting heavily.

I preordered it on 360. Feel free to add me
thekranz
. If it's as awesome as all that I will pick it up on PC too most likely.

cackhyena said:

From my experience, the multiplayer's focus is almost entirely on offensive play -- shoot, move, shoot. I still like Bad Company 2's multiplayer more in comparison because there's much more definition of the various classes. It has been a rare thing to see a sniper -- the regular soldier class and load-out is versatile enough that seeing any other classes during multiplayer doesn't seem to happen very often. This might just be because people have tried experimenting with the other classes or that the game isn't quite officially out yet.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
CVG review said:
The 'Follow Connor' prompt is symptomatic of our main gameplay gripe - another indication of Kaos' lack of confidence in the Modern Warfare generation to work things out for themselves.

Ha! I'm gonna bitch at my boy about this one. He worked strictly on the MP though (hammering stuff out as recently as this weekend no less) but we had this same discussion in re: to the failure of Vanquish to sell.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Is it just me, or while the atmosphere of the game seems great...the graphics are on par with what you would find in a Wii game?

It looks terrible for a PS3/360 game.

U2NUMB

TacticalFox88 said:
This will be the MP game that will hold GAF out until the Fall Shooter(s) release. Bookmark it.

Sounds like it.. I am also crossing my fingers for Red Faction to be awesome.

LowParry

Yeah, I could use a break from CoD:BO - And this game looks like the good distraction I need. But I'll still play the two.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
WrikaWrek said:
Is it just me, or while the atmosphere of the game seems great...the graphics are on par with what you would find in a Wii game?

It's just you.

I have played it in person and it looks decent. Not the best looking game out there, but good for the Unreal engine.

The thing I noticed all the time though was the detail and animations. The environmental detail they packed into the game is nuts, and some of the animations are very good (not all).

The base graphics and textures are average though, I didn't notice them being any better/worse than Black ops.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
WrikaWrek said:

Might be time for a new eyeglasses prescription. Still, I would get this on the PC if you have anything with a graphics card in it.

Rad-

Just decided, gonna buy this for the multiplayer on Friday. Hopefully we get a good amount of 360 euro gaffers for this.

plc268

WrikaWrek said:

I'm not sure why you think that... all of the streams I've seen of the game look fine and it doesn't particularly stand out as bad graphics.

But, I'll be playing it on PC, so it doesn't concern me much.

Man I am so on the fence with this game!

edit: does this game have a co-op campaign? sorry I'm at work and cant research this stuff.. stupid Proxy

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

1. PC, 360, PS3? PC

2. Campaign or multi-player first? Not sure, the campaign looks a bit silly so I might just hop online.

3. Class: Assault, SMG, Heavy, Sniper, Tactical, Stealth? Hmm.. Probably Heavy.

4. Fav vehicle: Humvee, Light Armor Vehicle (LAV), M1A3 Abrams, AH-700 Scout, AH-64 Apache? GET TO DA CHOPPA

5. Fav drone: Ground Assault, Ground AntiTank, Air Recon, Air Assault? Haven't really read much about this. Probably something with some BRRAAAAAPPPP machine guns or something.

6. Fav mode? I don't even know what modes are in this, whatever is closest to battlefield conquest.

7. Fav cheese? I'm a man of simple tastes, mild cheddar.

soultron

Banned

1. PC, 360, PS3? 360. (GT: soultron)

2. Campaign or multi-player first? Definitely SP. Getting Freedom Fighter vibesboners.

3. Class: Assault, SMG, Heavy, Sniper, Tactical, Stealth? Stealth or Tactical. Love to fuck with people.

4. Fav vehicle: Humvee, Light Armor Vehicle (LAV), M1A3 Abrams, AH-700 Scout, AH-64 Apache? Humvee. I love the ability to zip around while knowing I could be blown up any second. Something about the vulnerability is exciting to me. Spotting targets for a gunner is sweet too.

5. Fav drone: Ground Assault, Ground AntiTank, Air Recon, Air Assault? Air Recon. I love to spot dudes in BFBC2. It's the team player in me.

6. Fav mode? Will have to play it first. Anything with Battle Commander in it sounds pretty dope though.

7. Fav cheese? Provolone, dude. So good. Italian pride.

Bi50N

Somewhat biased but...

1. PC, 360, PS3? 360, as Bi50N

2. Campaign or multi-player first? MP all the way, until I stop having fun with it. Plus, I've played the SP at least 20 times this year already. It would be for the cheevos only...

3. Class: Assault, SMG, Heavy, Sniper, Tactical, Stealth? SCAR, ACOG, EMP Grenade, RPG, Recon Drone. It works for me

4. Fav vehicle: Humvee, Light Armor Vehicle (LAV), M1A3 Abrams, AH-700 Scout, AH-64 Apache? Tank. Always the tank.

5. Fav drone: Ground Assault, Ground AntiTank, Air Recon, Air Assault? Recon :)

6. Fav mode? Ground Control, BC on

7. Fav cheese? Something French that runs at room temperature

1. PC, 360, PS3? PC

2. Campaign or multi-player first? MP first, but interested in SP.

3. Class: Not sure...probably Assault, Stealth, and/or Tactical. The SCAR looks sexy--love the gun models so far.

4. Fav vehicle: Humvee, Light Armor Vehicle (LAV), M1A3 Abrams, AH-700 Scout, AH-64 Apache? Scout for myself, but Apache when playing w/friends.

5. Fav drone: Ground Assault, Ground AntiTank, Air Recon, Air Assault? Ground Assault looks fun, but I think Air Recon does more for the team.

6. Fav mode? Not sure, but leaning toward Ground Control w/Battle Commander.

7. Fav cheese? Smoked guda!

Top Bottom