• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

Deadly Cyclone said:
It's just you.

I have played it in person and it looks decent. Not the best looking game out there, but good for the Unreal engine.

The thing I noticed all the time though was the detail and animations. The environmental detail they packed into the game is nuts, and some of the animations are very good (not all).

The base graphics and textures are average though, I didn't notice them being any better/worse than Black ops.

The animations have looked like the weakest point. Stilted movement and weird transitions all over the place.

Textures like Black Ops is damning, especially given the framerate difference.

NinjaKixx

Banned
What differentiates the different classes? Weapons? Abilities?

I have intentionally left myself in the dark on this game, buit with release tonight I am trying to figure stuff out.

1. PC, 360, PS3? PS3

2. Campaign or multi-player first? Campaign all the way. Learn the ropes before I pop fools online

3. Class: Assault, SMG, Heavy, Sniper, Tactical, Stealth? Assault

4. Fav vehicle: Humvee, Light Armor Vehicle (LAV), M1A3 Abrams, AH-700 Scout, AH-64 Apache? Apache probably

5. Fav drone: Ground Assault, Ground AntiTank, Air Recon, Air Assault? Assault

6. Fav mode? Battle Commander

7. Fav cheese? American Cheddar

Bi50N said:
Somewhat biased but...

2. Campaign or multi-player first? MP all the way, until I stop having fun with it. Plus, I've played the SP at least 20 times this year already. It would be for the cheevos only...

Hey did you work on the game?

EDIT - Wow cool lol

NinjaKixx said:
What differentiates the different classes? Weapons? Abilities?

I have intentionally left myself in the dark on this game, buit with release tonight I am trying to figure stuff out.
Just what guns/perks etc. they have. They're the same as default classes from CoD, except customisable.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
AWESOME HELP KILL TIME BEFORE RELEASE SURVEY

1. PC, 360, PS3? PC

2. Campaign or multi-player first? Single Player until I get all my research done

3. Class: Assault, SMG, Heavy, Sniper, Tactical, Stealth? Tactical and heavy when I get to it.

4. Fav vehicle: Humvee, Light Armor Vehicle (LAV), M1A3 Abrams, AH-700 Scout, AH-64 Apache? Abrams.

5. Fav drone: Ground Assault, Ground AntiTank, Air Recon, Air Assault? Ground Anti-tank

6. Fav mode? Ground Control, probably most often with Ground Commander.

7. Fav cheese? Epic battle between Pepperjack and a good Brie

Klocker

AltogetherAndrews said:
The animations have looked like the weakest point. Stilted movement and weird transitions all over the place.

Textures like Black Ops is damning, especially given the framerate difference.

perhaps but just like all MP games IMO, when in the heat of the battle, with smoke, explosions, bombs and bullets flying, you really don't have time to notice at all.

single player, yea probably notice but MP is immersive enough to where I can not see it being even remotely a turn off. Lighting and other effects look sufficiently up to par.

it's all about the game PLAY and this (MP) game appears to have that going for it in piles and piles. ;)

bhlaab

It's a more emotional story than most games because it's happening in america. when you airstike a whole arab block in modern warfare, it's just a shitty generic warzone, but american people could live in these suburbs, man! The koreans have holed up in best buy and if that doesn't make them bloodthirsty soulless killers I don't know what does...

Hmm just want to say that THQs marketing team is nothing short of sneaky. Hadn't heard of this game at all until last week, had zero interest in it. Was on XBL last night in party chat and a few of my mates started talking about Homefront and how they might get it. By the end of it we all sounded hyped and getting it day one. Keep in mind we hadn't seen one shred of advertising - this was purely due to Internet chat/videos. Well done THQ, didn't cost you much and you convinced another 5-6 people to grab the game day one. Same exact shit happened with Darksiders last year.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I am so excited for this game, got dammittttttttttttt

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
bhlaab said:
Why? It's Called Something Else of Duty
Naw. It's called Battlefield: Call of Duty.

bhlaab

SapientWolf said:
The something else is what makes it for me. I haven't played a CoD game since 08 and I'm probably never going back.

My point is that if you play this you are going back

Erasus

bhlaab said:
It's a more emotional story than most games because it's happening in america.

Really GAF? Really?

I live in Sweden. I can understand why you would have that connection but dont assume everyone does...

markot

Banned
NinjaKixx said:
How many steam preorders does this currently have? Unable to check here @ work.
? How can you tell? Its been on the top seller list for awhile, and is just behind Shogun 2 now.

magicaltrevor said:
Just came in here to say I've played some more matches today and I still feel the same way...

This game is awesome.
Hey do you mind throwing some more detail our way? I only ask because outside of it's BF/COD influence I know very little about the game. I understand BPs and how they purchase etc.

But what are the sniper rifles like?
How are the drones to use?
How realistic are vehicles?
What's the sound design like?
How are the maps? Are they all designed for both modes, or only one or the other?
What's game balance like? Noticing anything dominant yet?
How are the dedicated servers?

NinjaKixx

Banned
DanDeschain said:
Looking on Steam, I see this unlocks at midnight. Any chance D2D will distribute the keys at midnight?

I read D2D will release keys at 10 AM on the steam forums. That's why I decided to not go that route.

Liberty4all

Banned
Stripper13 said:
Hey do you mind throwing some more detail our way? I only ask because outside of it's BF/COD influence I know very little about the game. I understand BPs and how they purchase etc.

How are the maps? Are they all designed for both modes, or only one or the other?

Summary of everything I posted here.

Feeling sad though G & T doesn't seem to be interested as much as GAF

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
bhlaab said:

That's a very narrow-minded comment. The game is very different from Call of Duty and Battlefield both, sure it shares some features and basic controls, but it differentiates itself from those two with new additions and a different style of gameplay.

Deadly Cyclone said:
That's a very narrow-minded comment. The game is very different from Call of Duty and Battlefield both, sure it shares some features and basic controls, but it differentiates itself from those two with new additions and a different style of gameplay.
And for this reason alone, I will probably be my go to shooter until Resistance 3 comes out.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
bhlaab said:
I imagine that the map size and the vehicle count will be different, at least. The reward system is different. It seems like the pace is different as well. There's quite a bit of anti-camping built into the game.

I don't buy that many games in the genre so I don't have FPS fatigue yet. That helps too.

Liberty4all

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:

I agree with this assessment ... The flow of the game is very different.

Stripper13 said:

I'll keep this short as I was just heading to bed (gotta work early tomorrow):

- I've only used one (there are two), because I haven't unlocked more, but it feels great to me. Two shots to kill, or one if you manage to get a headshot. Sound is powerful and you get multiple shots before reloading (I believe the second rifle is more powerful but does require a reload after every shot).

Ground-drones are much like the RC in BLOPS, and air-drones are much like mini-choppers in BF:BC2. Easy to control. Fun to use.

- Pretty realistic I'd say. They control just like you control your character, basically. But I did notice an alternative control-scheme (though I didn't really check it out as I'm fine with the standard controls).

- The sound-design is excellent. Very powerful and rich. It's up there with BF:BC2, I'd say.

- Some are designed for both, others are exclusive to a certain mode. I believe I've played all maps now, and think they are very well designed. You will find open areas, but most of the time there is always something to see or use as cover. There are many spots to climb if you're into sniping, too.

- I think it's great. I didn't get frustrated by anything just yet. Eventhough there are many spots to hide, I haven't seen much campers yet. And if there are, they will get spotted by teammates or get marked as a 'threat' anyway.

Matchmaking is very quick. I haven't noticed any lag so far and I haven't dropped out of a game. Tonight, however, I did have trouble getting in some matches, but they have a status message in the main screen that specifically says they're preparing the servers for launch right now, so that could be why.

Hope this helps.

angelfly

ghostmind said:
Amazon just upped the credit to $15 (on the 360 version at least), so I am taking the plunge.
I preordered the 360 version a week ago and it's already shipped. Hopefully I'll get the extra $5 as well.

eternaLightness said:
I have $80 in gift cards on Amazon. Could get this but would really like to see more reviews.

Will you buy it for the singleplayer, or the multiplayer? Or both? Because if you have a look on YouTube I think there's plenty of multiplayer-footage to check out and make up your mind.

Spl1nter

markot said:
I need to see more reviews, pc specific ones >.<

ya still not convinced at all for the game. People say the multiplayer is amazing but not a single video I have seen impresses me. Frontlines was a horrible clusterfuck so hearing this is a spiritual successor doesn't exactly excite me.

Spl1nter said:
ya still not convinced at all for the game. People say the multiplayer is amazing but not a single video I have seen impresses me. Frontlines was a horrible clusterfuck so hearing this is a spiritual successor doesn't exactly excite me.

Check out this video and try to ignore the silly German voices:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CMqxUEkbk&hd=1

This doesn't show the more teambased-goodness and larger scale-maps though.

magicaltrevor said:
Will you buy it for the singleplayer, or the multiplayer? Or both? Because if you have a look on YouTube I think there's plenty of multiplayer-footage to check out and make up your mind.

I think both. While the single player sounds cool, the mp looks to be pretty fun. It seems to not be as crazy as COD either which is nice.

Top Bottom