• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

NIN90

Trying to install off the disk.
"Steam servers are too buy to handle your request. Please try again later."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

magicaltrevor said:
I'll keep this short as I was just heading to bed (gotta work early tomorrow):

But what are the sniper rifles like?
- I've only used one (there are two), because I haven't unlocked more, but it feels great to me. Two shots to kill, or one if you manage to get a headshot. Sound is powerful and you get multiple shots before reloading (I believe the second rifle is more powerful but does require a reload after every shot).

How are the drones to use?
Ground-drones are much like the RC in BLOPS, and air-drones are much like mini-choppers in BF:BC2. Easy to control. Fun to use.

How realistic are vehicles?
- Pretty realistic I'd say. They control just like you control your character, basically. But I did notice an alternative control-scheme (though I didn't really check it out as I'm fine with the standard controls).

What's the sound design like?
- The sound-design is excellent. Very powerful and rich. It's up there with BF:BC2, I'd say.

How are the maps? Are they all designed for both modes, or only one or the other?
- Some are designed for both, others are exclusive to a certain mode. I believe I've played all maps now, and think they are very well designed. You will find open areas, but most of the time there is always something to see or use as cover. There are many spots to climb if you're into sniping, too.

What's game balance like? Noticing anything dominant yet?
- I think it's great. I didn't get frustrated by anything just yet. Eventhough there are many spots to hide, I haven't seen much campers yet. And if there are, they will get spotted by teammates or get marked as a 'threat' anyway.

How are the dedicated servers?
Matchmaking is very quick. I haven't noticed any lag so far and I haven't dropped out of a game. Tonight, however, I did have trouble getting in some matches, but they have a status message in the main screen that specifically says they're preparing the servers for launch right now, so that could be why.

Hope this helps.
Thanks alot.

For the guy who posted the link to his 'summary' for me - it was about cereal, not Homefront.

I laughed.

NIN90

NIN90 said:
Trying to install off the disk.
"Steam servers are too buy to handle your request. Please try again later."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Fucking steam has been doing this for the past hour.
Let me install my game, you stupid piece of shit.

plc268

Mr. Snrub said:
Preloading at 1 MB/S!!! Guess it might really unlock at midnight...

1.7 MB/S here.

Now where was that speed during the Christmas sale, heh.

NIN90 said:
Fucking steam has been doing this for the past hour.
Let me install my game, you stupid piece of shit.

Try changing your download region and see if that works.

Kuno said:
Just noticed this on YouTube:

XG247's First Look: Homefront - Gameplay Series: Part 3
(Weapon attachments and camo)

Does anyone know how to get the ONLY shotgun in the game without having to preorder at Gamestop? Dammit, I hate this preorder bonus crap.

Thanks, good watch. Looks like unlocks are weapon specific: kill streaks unlock camo and kills unlock attachments. I also didn't notice it before, but some guns have more attachments than others: the ACR has a airburst(?), grenade, and emp launcher, and a shotgun attachment.

EDIT: Wow, Recon drone gets you 30 BP a spot, and people are re-spottable.

NIN90

plc268 said:
1.7 MB/S here.

Now where was that speed during the Christmas sale, heh.

Try changing your download region and see if that works.

Tried that several times. Did not work.
Though now it works.

I'm guessing at midnight when it goes live on OnLive, I can just play it. No downloading, no installs... just fire it up on my Mac at 12:01 a.m. I'm excited to see if it works without a hitch.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any word on the extra $5 for those of us who Amazon'd it?

Liberty4all

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Thanks, good watch. Looks like unlocks are weapon specific: kill streaks unlock camo and kills unlock attachments. I also didn't notice it before, but some guns have more attachments than others: the ACR has a airburst(?), grenade, and emp launcher, and a shotgun attachment.

EDIT: Wow, Recon drone gets you 30 BP a spot, and people are re-spottable.

Spotting is a bp goldmine. And you get a shit load of experience at the end of the match.

Bamelin said:
Spotting is a bp goldmine. And you get a shit load of experience at the end of the match.
balance patch incoming? :p

Good to know, might make people spot often to help the team as well as earn some BP for that apache.

Diablohead said:
balance patch incoming? :p

Good to know, might make people spot often to help the team as well as earn some BP for that apache.
I don't know much about the game - but aren't the Recon drones very easy to destroy? Also someone who gets spotted gets an alert? Much like UAV/Spy planes in COD, I expect the 5% of intelligent players to go out of their way to destroy it for the EXP/BP and help the team. The rest will run around oblivious and complain about camping because the enemy knows exactly where they are and where they are moving.

Makoto

Mr. Snrub said:
Preloading at 1 MB/S!!! Guess it might really unlock at midnight...

If I had bought it from Steam I'd be able to pre-load and then play it at 10PM (PST). Gah, Direct2Drive, RELEASE MY KEY.

By the way, is anyone on PC open to using Mumble? Perhaps we could get one of the admins of the GAF server to create a lobby for us.

vidal said:
By the way, is anyone on PC open to using Mumble? Perhaps we could get one of the admins of the GAF server to create a lobby for us.

There's a pretty strong PC group that uses the GAF Mumble server.

Liberty4all

Banned
Stripper13 said:
I don't know much about the game - but aren't the Recon drones very easy to destroy? Also someone who gets spotted gets an alert? Much like UAV/Spy planes in COD, I expect the 5% of intelligent players to go out of their way to destroy it for the EXP/BP and help the team. The rest will run around oblivious and complain about camping because the enemy knows exactly where they are and where they are moving.

Destroying it though does little. A dedicated spotter will instantly pop another drone. They are cheap enough bp wise that you make more than enough to cover the cost.

Taking out recon drones is hit and miss wih small arms fire even though they are weak. The launcher drone though with lock on can one shot them.

The issue though is that if you have 2 guys spotting at the same time it's almost impossible to keep the air clean of them. 2 spotters almost guarantee everyone on the other team will be lit up. The flip side though is that your team will be down two guys that could be helping on the offense.

Bamelin said:
Destroying it though does little. A dedicated spotter will instantly pop another drone. They are cheap enough bp wise that you make more than enough to cover the cost.

Taking out recon drones is hit and miss wih small arms fire even though they are weak. The launcher drone though with lock on can one shot them.

The issue though is that if you have 2 guys spotting at the same time it's almost impossible to keep the air clean of them. 2 spotters almost guarantee everyone on the other team will be lit up. The flip side though is that your team will be down two guys that could be helping on the offense.
Hmm that's concerning. It would be annoying to know that someone spawned a chopper because they spent half the match spotting. That being said, it's difficult to call for a patch/fix yet because you're right - the team would be down 1+ players, and the fact that a dedicate spotter should be rewarded for their contribution to the team. Any word on a perk that prevents being spotted?

Stripper13 said:
Hmm that's concerning. It would be annoying to know that someone spawned a chopper because they spent half the match spotting. That being said, it's difficult to call for a patch/fix yet because you're right - the team would be down 1+ players, and the fact that a dedicate spotter should be rewarded for their contribution to the team. Any word on a perk that prevents being spotted?

Why? I think it's great. Having someone dedicated to spotting would be a huge aid to a team.

Tendo

Pre-loading! I hope it does unlock at 12. I have to get up at 6 but I'd like to get a round or two in before I head to bed.

Liberty4all

Banned
Stripper13 said:

There is a perk that blocks uav but nothing that protects you from sentry drones that I know of.

Regarding the chopper concern it would take almost an entire match of spotting to earn enough bp ... Which is actually a good read on to take them out when you see them in the sky ... They cost 250 bp to put out, so taking them out will drain the spotters bp account.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
SeanR1221 said:
Why do only some places have reviews up? Could there be an embargo for lower rater reviews?

I have seen a lot of foreign reviews, so I believe that the embargo was U.S. only, but then again some smaller US sites have reviews up, maybe it was just for major US publications.

JdFoX187

Banned
Anyone getting this on the Xbox 360? I only have one or two people possibly getting it, so I'm looking for some people. Been looking forward to Homefront ever since it was announced. Absolutely loved Frontlines: Fuel of War. And for the hell of it...

AWESOME HELP KILL TIME BEFORE RELEASE SURVEY

1. PC, 360, PS3? 360 (GT: MasterFox187)

2. Campaign or multi-player first? Single Player

3. Class: Assault, SMG, Heavy, Sniper, Tactical, Stealth? Assault.

4. Fav vehicle: Humvee, Light Armor Vehicle (LAV), M1A3 Abrams, AH-700 Scout, AH-64 Apache? AH-64 Apache

5. Fav drone:Ground Assault, Ground AntiTank, Air Recon, Air Assault? Air Assault

6. Fav mode? Battle Commander

7. Fav cheese? American?

Ahhh, so I caved and pre-ordered. The game looks really sweet and I got into BC2 multi, no reason I can't get into this. Can't wait to play, GAF!

MMaRsu

Square Triangle said:
I'm trying to find reviews on this to see if it's worth the buy and all metacritic has is the garbage 360 fanboy/addict/world garbage.

Most real reviews aren't out yet. Could be embargo'd for lower scores.

styl3s

Can't wait to get this, one of my most anticipated and for some stupid reason only 2 gamestops in my state are doing the midnight sale and its like 3 hours away.. guess torchlight/dragon age 2 will keep me busy till i get my hands on this.

Liberty4all

Banned
Square Triangle said:
I'm trying to find reviews on this to see if it's worth the buy and all metacritic has is the garbage 360 fanboy/addict/world garbage.

I like MSXBOX-WORLD however I'm a little biased ;)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Square Triangle said:
Just wait a day and get some GAFfers' takes on it. Bamelin already chimed in and the game unlocks at midnight for the Steamers.

So a spotter would have to spot 8-9 enemies just to cover the cost of the drone?

I don't have the game so I'll reserve judgement for now - but so far it seems balanced. If someone is willing to spot for most of the match and the other team never takes the drones out - said spotter deserves anything he can afford.

nyong

Banned
If you go to the Homefront storefront on Steam it says that the game will unlock in "approximately 2 hours"

Top Bottom