• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

damn, PC version confirmed!

Got it working for you...

PC Screens:

C7D2D59FFDA60047B5B2D5471B46093261C6BA93

EFB49E774E637B7E3AC4D79E1C5E3A2ECA2DC9ED

Weenerz

Banned
My first gripe with the PC multiplayer, the weapons don't seem to have any recoil. Played a few maps thus far, and while the recoil can be annoying, the game itself is damn fun. Looks like the developers decided to focus on a fun game instead of making the prettiest game. Which is a good thing in my book.

Sorry, I'll try to get more, I thought it'd be easier to share with Steam in game screenshots...

LcG4h.jpg

Everything is maxed. It looks better than PS3/360 but it's not breathtaking or anything. Fun, though!

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Glad to see KAAOS has a grip of high capacity dedicated servers up. Nothing worse than watching Steam finish a new game download only to find a bunch of Jimmy's Capped Cable Modem Listen Servers in the browser.

How's performance on the PC?

Weenerz said:
My first gripe with the PC multiplayer, the weapons don't seem to have any recoil.

Really? Different for me. Gun doesn't just move up but also laterally left and right. Probably depends on the gun.

My only gripe so far is the weird enemy death animations...Seems like lots of missed frames and dudes randomly flying around after death? Not sure if I'm just seeing things?

Game runs pretty solid though, and looks pretty nice.

My current specs are:

9800GT
Phenom 955 @ 3.2 Ghz Quad Core
4GB DDR2 RAM

Once the parts of my new build arrive, I expect the game to run much more better.

More screens:

E17AE89B080787E3A0C8EDE7561597637309DF9F

08AB784787FB5C992D06CE3E0804F71242361FCD

77FB68668271294A358AB602FBFE1A4A188C017E

Weenerz

Banned
Beware people that aren't fans of snipers, they are everywhere. This one server I am on currently is a 32 player server and each team has 8+.

Weenerz said:
Beware people that aren't fans of snipers, they are everywhere. This one server I am on currently is a 32 player server and each team has 8+.

this seems to be a problem in every large scale multiplayer game.

When will devs stop catering to them.

Brink might be the first game in a long time to not have overpowering sniper classes.

The M.O.B

The fact that you can be effective as a sniper is already leagues different from COD:BO.

Good stuff, but there is no cap on the amount of snipers per team?? ugh

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
gibon3z said:
this seems to be a problem in every large scale multiplayer game.

When will devs stop catering to them.

Brink might be the first game in a long time to not have overpowering sniper classes.
I wouldn't sweat it too much. There are more ways to ruin a sniper's day in Homefront than there are flavors at Baskin Robbins.

Haklong

Just played for about an hour now. I like it, performance is also very good. Got the game running at 1080 with everything maxed.

plc268

BloodySinner said:
My on gripe so far is that there does not seem to be any mouse options. The cursor feels laggy.

Do you have vsync on? I have the same thing with the vsync on, I haven't tried turning it off yet, but that seems to be the usual fix for a laggy mouse.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
BloodySinner said:
My on gripe so far is that there does not seem to be any mouse options. The cursor feels laggy.
This might help:
For those curious, mouse acceleration in UE3 based games can be disabled by browsing to c:\users\yourusernamehere\my documents\my games\gamenamehere\gamename\configs folder, opening up a file called XXinput.ini with notepad or any other plain text editor, where the XX is an abbreviation or the game's name (so in this case HFInput.ini or Homefrontinput.ini), then scrolling down and setting bViewAccelerationEnabled=TRUE to false.
Still waiting for my copy to download. Kind of got boned by the D2D install.

Signed off to take a shower, back now and getting a G40 error on OnLive 5 times in a row. I'll try a few more but if it doesn't work, I'll just play the new Assassin's Creed DLC.

edit: on the 8th try it logged in

Haklong

Am I the only person that’s sick of collectables in games? Ever since Gears of War all these action games have hidden things to find throughout the environment.

The M.O.B

Haklong said:
Am I the only person that’s sick of collectables in games? Ever since Gears of War all these action games have hidden things to find throughout the environment.

..................this has been going on way before Gears of War was even thought of.

Haklong

The M.O.B said:
..................this has been going on way before Gears of War was even thought of.

I guess, but its the first action game I can think of off the top of my head that did it. I'm not talking about Banjo Kazooie either. Just seems like pointless achievement hunting.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Haklong said:

I like them, they add a bit more story and replayability to the game outside of the normal run-through. If you are a person that does not really like them, just don't pick them up! :p

Damnit! Right in the middle of a great round the connection to the host was lost. OnLive isn't making me a happy camper right now. If I didn't get this game for free, I'd be pissed.

Exuro

OldJadedGamer said:
Damnit! Right in the middle of a great round the connection to the host was lost. OnLive isn't making me a happy camper right now. If I didn't get this game for free, I'd be pissed.
Onlive doesn't have dedicated servers? That's odd.

Mr. Snrub said:
I'm enjoying it. Its not blowing me away but its a lot of fun. Would probably like it more if they stopped rotating TDM with GC.
What's mediocre about the game. I'm just trying to get a feel for the quality of the game before it releases here without getting entangled in reviews or hype. What do you mean GC rotates with TDM? don't you pick a gametype and go from there?

JesseZao

I did the OnLive deal. Been pretty solid so far. Finding the Press [E] to perform situational actions including jump or crouch or waiting until the scripted NPCs walk though a door one by one seems a bit clunky, but it's been pretty fun so far.

Stripper13 said:
What's mediocre about the game. I'm just trying to get a feel for the quality of the game before it releases here without getting entangled in reviews or hype. What do you mean GC rotates with TDM? don't you pick a gametype and go from there?
There's a mixed mode, apparently.

I'll give detailed impressions tomorrow. All I have to say now is that the Diablo WRECKS shit.

Exuro said:
Onlive doesn't have dedicated servers? That's odd.

OnLive is spotty, this is the first major release and it was hyped and advertised pretty well so I'm sure their servers are getting hit pretty bad. I may have just lost my connection to the OnLive server... not sure yet.

I'm enjoying the campaign quite a bit. The setting and environments are fantastic. While the game isn't a technical showpiece or anything, the level of detail in the environment is astounding. You'll know what I'm talking about when you play the campaign. Every object, structure, piece of debris, is meticulously detailed. It reminds me of Gears of War's environment in terms of the high level of detail in everything. Must have took a long time to make all these assets, even despite the low-res textures everywhere.

I took a bunch of screenshots with the Steam feature but they're all gone... lol. So you have to upload them afterward? I (wrongly) assumed there were also saved on your hard drive somewhere. Sigh...

BTW! I recommend finding and reading the newspapers if you care about the story at all. Some of them are pretty neat. They seem to be scattered about every time there's a break in the action and you're just walking around or talking to people.

Exuro

After you quit the game a Steam window should pop up showing all of your pictures that you shot asking if you want to upload them or whatnot.

Exuro said:
After you quit the game a Steam window should pop up showing all of your pictures that you shot asking if you want to upload them or whatnot.
Yeah, I just X'd out of that assuming it also saved on the hard drive because there's a button that says "Show on disk" and it opens a folder somewhere. Oh well..

They were great pics :( I took em with care and love lol

Connection to host lost... AGAIN. Not dealing with this right now only to have all my progress lost. I'll try again tomorrow. Why is the connection never lost in games I'm doing shitty in? It always has to do with games I'm doing really well in.

Oh shit, found em! Tucked away in some obscure sub-folder. This is at 1080p "very high" settings. It's an area in the beginning where you can walk around and search for those newspapers and talk to people... the game seems to have a bunch of these breaks in action and I think they're a nice change of pace.

2011-03-15_00002tzgl.jpg

2011-03-15_0000548ff.jpg

2011-03-15_00006imnl.jpg

2011-03-15_00011w8qu.jpg

NinjaKixx

Banned
I have 1 and only 1 complaint...Ground Control matches are WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too short.

Kaos, you have to give the team that has to cross the map some time. Every Match I have played the team who gets the capture points on their side twice wins every time.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I hate arbitrary barriers in games, but this takes it to a new level.

homefront2011-03-1501-eq5y.jpg

Yea, that little box there is impassable. What an obstacle, hooey.

Top Bottom