• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
AltogetherAndrews said:
What a bunch of rotten crap. For one, and this has been explained before, the questions of plausibility were raised largely because of the fucking intro to the thread which states, amusingly, that we're looking at a terrifyingly plausible scenario. Shit snowballs, but let's not pretend that it is being singled out for no reason whatsoever here.

As for the second point, the ever-so-retarded "stop bitching about SP, it's a multiplayer game," excuse me for not being all too happy to sit down and shut up while SP becomes an increasingly marginal part of the experience. And, again, this shit is being pimped hard by the developer, so there's not a whole lot of reason to expect the audience to be entirely forgiving of what supposedly is a very thin campaign.

I'm not usually one to get all huffy about the length of a campaign assuming that it is replayable and/or is a fullfilling once-through experience, but military shooters as of late have felt like episodes more so than full campaigns, and with multi also being a wild card depending on launch day issues and audience reception, it's a tough sell at full price.

But hey.

By the way, this premise and mood seems very similar to that of Heartland.
It's rotten crap to point out that this kind of behaviour is annoying other people, adding nothing to the thread, will not be answered until we actually know more and is derailing the official topic which should be about sharing what we DO know and ARE looking forward to?

The developer has already said some people ran through it in 5 and some took 10 hours. Frankly that's more than enough shooter for me. Plus reports have been fairly positive so I dont see what the hoohah is about. Wait for the reviews to get the full lowdown but until then it's pointless to submit the rest of us to useless moaning about speculation. I was ok to put up with it in other threads but it'd be nice if we didn't clutter the official topic with it for the next week.

p.s it was probably implausible for a bunch of barbarians to sack the mighty Rome as well. I know very little of the plot but am more than happy to play the game to fid out just how plausible it is. To write a game off beforehand cos it's a) not plausible and b) is marketed as plausible is probably the most ridiculous reaction I've ever heard.

But please enough of this. I think the game looks potentially brilliant.

I'm concerned about balance though. I don't like the sound of everyone affording big vehicles or powerups by the end of the match so waiting to see how MP plays out in the real world.

demolitio

kaizoku said:
It's rotten crap to point out that this kind of behaviour is annoying other people, adding nothing to the thread, will not be answered until we actually know more and is derailing the official topic which should be about sharing what we DO know and ARE looking forward to?

The developer has already said some people ran through it in 5 and some took 10 hours. Frankly that's more than enough shooter for me. Plus reports have been fairly positive so I dont see what the hoohah is about. Wait for the reviews to get the full lowdown but until then it's pointless to submit the rest of us to useless moaning about speculation. I was ok to put up with it in other threads but it'd be nice if we didn't clutter the official topic with it for the next week.

p.s it was probably implausible for a bunch of barbarians to sack the mighty Rome as well. I know very little of the plot but am more than happy to play the game to fid out just how plausible it is. To write a game off beforehand cos it's a) not plausible and b) is marketed as plausible is probably the most ridiculous reaction I've ever heard.

I'm concerned about balance though. I don't like the sound of everyone affording big vehicles or powerups by the end of the match so waiting to see how MP plays out in the real world.

So you mean people can't discuss the SP portion of a game? Go into any thread and there will be discussions on it and I'm pretty sure it's not interrupting shit since there's not much more to discuss. They talk about how realistic the scenario is and people are countering that claim? Isn't it the point to discuss games on here instead of just saying "I can't wait for MP"?

You can skim over the story discussion posts and discuss what you want about the game, but it doesn't mean others can't talk about it. God forbid a storyline be an important part of a game, right? You getting angry at people for discussing it instead of ignoring it is actually the most ridiculous reaction ever heard. Not everyone has to love a portion of a game. I guess you didn't like a lot of people in the MW2 thread either then since many thought that was insane as well. :|

I've played a lot of this game's MP so I rather talk about the thing I didn't get to try. MP is very fun and I look forward to it like I said earlier. Every game has a storyline and some people like to discuss it while there's NOTHING else to talk about...

kaizoku said:

FWIW, I don't give a shit about what the developer says in response to that question, considering that I can not recall a single instance where the upper dev estimate has been anywhere near my experience. I'll trust people playing it before I trust a developer on the matter, so we'll see soon enough. Either way, arguing that it's pathetic to be concerned about this because hey, that's how things are with shooters nowadays and hey, it's the multiplayer that counts, that is truly idiotic. Don't want to participate? Then shut up and avoid it.

What people use to "write off" games is really none of my business, but the reaction has everything to do with the claim that was made and posted in this thread. As said, everything has a tendency to snowball beyond reason, but it's still a hell of a lot more reasonable to argue about it than it is to demand silence on the matter. Complain at the devs if you must complain.

soultron

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
I'm not usually one to get all huffy about the length of a campaign assuming that it is replayable and/or is a fullfilling once-through experience, but military shooters as of late have felt like episodes more so than full campaigns, and with multi also being a wild card depending on launch day issues and audience reception, it's a tough sell at full price.

But hey.

By the way, this premise and mood seems very similar to that of Heartland.
Not that I'm an apologist by any means, but, these days, you have to expect high-profile titles like Homefront to have MP as a focus and SP as an afterthought. MP is where the publisher can profit from things like DLC, while the SP-only folk are strung along for the inevitable sequel which gives them another 5-8 hours of campaign play -- and another cliffhanger. It's par for the course, these days.

The fact that the campaign is said to be impactful and enjoyable is what's great in my mind. I really don't care about the length. KAOS done good if I actually end up enjoying (and replaying) the SP.

I agree about your point regarding Heartland. The difference is that this game actually got made, which is great for us.

EDIT: Just like the haters who balked at CODBLOPS, I fully expect a lot of people to pick this one up (or rent) even though they're dismissing it now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Again, only one review said 5 hours so far, and no one seems to be discussing the other text in that review where they say it was plenty for them.

"That short, short length of the main story may seem like a major sticking point, but it isn't as significant as you might fear," it says. "Homefront is relentlessly brutal and constantly puts you in new, unusual and memorable scenarios, varying the pace to keep things interesting."

PSM3 admits it was left wanting more at the end, "but not because we felt that the story was lacking or that we hadn't been playing for long enough - we were just keen to keep playing".

Let's at least wait for the major reviews to come out.

bangai-o

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
What a bunch of rotten crap. For one, and this has been explained before, the questions of plausibility were raised largely because of the fucking intro to the thread which states, amusingly, that we're looking at a terrifyingly plausible scenario. Shit snowballs, but let's not pretend that it is being singled out for no reason whatsoever here.

As for the second point, the ever-so-retarded "stop bitching about SP, it's a multiplayer game," excuse me for not being all too happy to sit down and shut up while SP becomes an increasingly marginal part of the experience. And, again, this shit is being pimped hard by the developer, so there's not a whole lot of reason to expect the audience to be entirely forgiving of what supposedly is a very thin campaign.

but gaf-gamers are coming into this discussion as if it had been shoved down their throat like EVERYONE LOOK THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU BE READY. Someone said a five hour campaign and everyone gets mad as if it got text messaged to them all day. We dont even know who said five hour campaign! add to all that, gamers bitching by calling it a CoD clone, but Battlefield3 is okay because it haz graffics!

i would almost like to see a mock thread about Metroid Prime with its 4 hour campaign and completely plausible story.

Corto

kaizoku said:

That tends to happen in every OT thread. When the game releases it will then drive the thread towards one way or the other depending on the real quality of the game.

People are looking at the story through a pinhole. Great movies (and games, presumably) overcome mediocre plots through delivery.

Man goes back in time to stop assassin robot, who wants to the kill mother of savior of mankind, whose is only impregnated with this savior because the man goes back in time=Terminator.

WHAT THE FUCK

Execution is everything. At the end of the day, if the execution is great, you'll say, "That story was kinda dumb, but goddamn, that was great."

desertdroog

I am excited to play with the AI rocket robot in the sp campaign. Weekend Confirmed's podcast put this game on my radar as a result of discussing that and how grim the world feels from the guerillas pov; not all sorties will be peachy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
IDGAF about single player. The MP looks awesome and that's what I come for. Dedicated servers on my 360? Awesome.

It won't be 60 FPS on 360, though, right? Weak. Will there be single player coop?

Slo

This shit about the non-believable plot again? This is a dealbreaker for some people? In a videogame? So the line of absurd plotlines is drawn here?

- Underwater city with scuba suit golems and magic juice injections? No problem!
- Genetically engineered humans fighting against an alliance of sentient aliens and a parasitic space virus? No problem!
- Zombie apocalypse? Awesome!
- Koreans? WTF IS THIS SHIT?

Slo said:
This shit about the non-believable plot again? This is a dealbreaker for some people? In a videogame? So the line of absurd plotlines is drawn here?

- Underwater city with scuba suit golems and magic juice injections? No problem!
- Genetically engineered humans fighting against an alliance of sentient aliens and a parasitic space virus? No problem!
lol so true

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Bboy AJ said:
IDGAF about single player. The MP looks awesome and that's what I come for. Dedicated servers on my 360? Awesome.

It won't be 60 FPS on 360, though, right? Weak. Will there be single player coop?
MKvDC and MK9 are the only 60fps vsynced UE3.0 games on the consoles, that I'm aware of.

Zenith

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
FWIW, I don't give a shit about what the developer says in response to that question, considering that I can not recall a single instance where the upper dev estimate has been anywhere near my experience. I'll trust people playing it before I trust a developer on the matter, so we'll see soon enough. Either way, arguing that it's pathetic to be concerned about this because hey, that's how things are with shooters nowadays and hey, it's the multiplayer that counts, that is truly idiotic. Don't want to participate? Then shut up and avoid it.

Got it in one.

I have to admit I'm intrigued by this game. The problem I have is that none of my friends are going to pick this up. We'll likely stick with Black Ops all the way til Gears 3 for MP.

Which means if I'm going to get it, I will most likely play the SP more than anything else.

And so the issue becomes, is the SP worth $60? Even for an 8-hour game, I usually will not drop $60 on it unless I simply HAVE TO HAVE IT. Right now I don't think I have to have this game, but nonetheless it's intriguing.

Now, if Amazon runs one of their "it's $40 today only" about a week after release, then I might be jumping on it.

And who knows, maybe I need to make some new friends. Like GAF friends. :)

See You Next Wednesday said:
The fact that people are not buying the games because of the the plot means their PR efforts have failed.

A few GAF weenies probably don't mean much in the scheme of things.

SapientWolf said:
MKvDC and MK9 are the only 60fps vsynced UE3.0 games on the consoles, that I'm aware of.

Couldn't you turn off vsync in bioshock for higher fps?
I don't remember if it made a whole lot of difference but for someone who doesn't care that much about graphics , it would be nice if they give you a choice.
60fps but some less graphics or 30 with all bells and whistles.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
SapientWolf said:
Fuuuu! Thanks.

I am very tempted to try this game out, I sold my copy of bad company 2 a little while back as I had my fill and it was sitting there being unplayed, I love the look of multi in this.

Liberty4all

Banned
Marcellus Wallace said:
What are the controls like? Is there any weight to the players?

I'm playing on the 360 version. Shooting feels good, like something somewhere between CoD and BFBC2 ... Weighted a little more on the CoD side.

The fact that people are not buying the games because of the the plot means their PR efforts have failed.

Do you honestly think that this would realistically happen? I'm wagering it's just some dudes who didn't want to buy it anyway, but wanted to be opinionated about it. Perfect solution.

Slo said:

Yeah, the plot is no more ludicrous than World in Conflict, yet I fucking loved that game.

angelfly

Funny thing is this is the first game I've ever seen folks on GAF give shit for how likely the events in the game are to happen. It's like people the ability to use their imagination when discussing the story.

canadian crowe said:
Game looks fun, but the graphics leave something to be desired. Maybe it's my eyes, but I would have expected it to look better.

I guess not every game can afford being a looker. Though, animations look downright distracting at times.

Slo said:

I guess Bungie may at some point have said that Halo presented "a terrifyingly plausible future." Context.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I guess not every game can afford being a looker. Though, animations look downright distracting at times.

The graphics just don't seem to have a ton of personality. Why does every modern shooter have to have the neon green HUD? You are guerrilla, and I wish the hud was more representative of that.

kaizoku said:

Rome didn't have a stockpile of nuclear weapons on mobile submarines capable of nuking the fuck out of North Korea hundreds of times over.

Not everybody is willing to pay money to buy or rent the game just to find out if the game can make a ridiculous premise seem plausible or not.

Whether the game should be written off or not, the notion that somehow China will allow North Korea to grow into a dominant military threat capable of invading the USA, when North Korea is right next door is pretty stupid.

The notion that somehow North Korea would invade USA instead of China when China is right next door and the USA is separated by an ocean, is also bloody stupid.

You don't have to play a game to understand something isn't plausible. The antagonists of the game was originally the Chinese who would make the story far more plausible but the developers were probably afraid of the backlash.

I'm alright with the color, but I guess a little more homebaked could have worked. But it's a HUD, too much personality could be distracting.

Though no, visual personality is in short supply. Modern shooter and whatnot.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
What appeals to me about this game is that the timeline is so well thought out and "believable." Hopefully the in game story will be as interesting and the gameplay fun.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I'm alright with the color, but I guess a little more homebaked could have worked. But it's a HUD, too much personality could be distracting.

It's also really cluttered.

I hate to be down on this game, because clearly a lot of passion went into this game. I love an underdog and would have hoped for something a little more unique.

Either way I'm sure I'll pick it up after I'm done with Crysis 2.

It also reminds me of Freedom fighters, so that's a plus.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think story critics are hugely over-thinking this.

1. Some video game out there MUST make North Korea a bad guy. It's just too perfect a villain.

2. They should be a militarily-threatening villain because the current day North Korea isn't. They should be able to hit America where it hurts: home.

3. You can't set it too far in the future, because then North Korea is unrecognizable as the current entity that it is.

Given these pretty simple and understandable ideas for a game plot, you are simply going to have a timeline that people call "unrealistic" if they're nitpickers.

Slo said:

The problem is that the plot would be so much more feasible if they would simply replace the koreans with the chinese.

BocoDragon said:
I think story critics are hugely over-thinking this.

1. Some video game out there MUST make North Korea a bad guy. It's just too perfect a villain.

2. They should be a militarily-threatening villain because the current day North Korea isn't. They should be able to hit America where it hurts: home.

3. You can't set it too far in the future, because then North Korea is unrecognizable as the current entity that it is.

Given these pretty simple and understandable ideas for a game plot, you are simply going to have a timeline that people call "unrealistic" if they're nitpickers.

If you want some small rogue state with a dictator as a villian, why not Iran? Why not Libia? Why not Venezuala? If you want an actually plausible enemy nation, why not China? They're the biggest threat to the US economically and militarily they're constantly seeking dominance, and they can overwhelm any military power just by drowning you in bodies.

You don't have to nitpick at all to find the story far-fetched.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
MalboroRed said:
The problem is that the plot would be so much more feasible if they would simply replace the koreans with the chinese.
China is not a strange hermit empire, though. China is ultra-demystified... they simply can't be a sinister "other" anymore.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
MalboroRed said:
They usually start out that way but focus groups never buy into it. It's hard for people to associate the place that makes half the stuff in their home with a merciless invading force.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Slo said:

This is correct.

SapientWolf said:
They usually start out that way but focus groups never buy into it. It's hard for people to associate the place that makes half the stuff in their home with a merciless invading force.

That's exactly why we should fear china, lead in your kids' toys, cancer-causing cheap crap at walmart, the i-dong, etc, etc.

Mr. Snrub said:
What's so bad about the drones?
They were really annoying in Frontlines and I hate getting killed by enemies that I have no chance of killing in an attack. At least when I get attacked by a vehicle in some games there's always the chance I can take out the vehicle before I'm killed. Take out a drone, person still lives. Just seems cheap to me.

Top Bottom