• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

Dabanton

What would be more interesting is to find out what difficulty level the people who beat the game in 5 hours were on?

I'm expecting an 8-9 hour play through which is perfect for me as the game comes with MP that more than balances it out.

GreatSage

Banned
Dabanton said:
What would be more interesting is to find out what difficulty level the people who beat the game in 5 hours were on?

I'm expecting an 8-9 hour play through which is perfect for me as the game comes with MP that more than balances it out.

I think FPS play-through times (especially those with scripted set-pieces) are fairly accurate.

How long did it take you play campaign in Medal of Honor?

Dabanton said:

Problem for me is that an 8-9 hour campaign for a game whose MP I really don´t care about is too short.

Even though the premises of the SP are interesting, I guess I´ll wait for a price drop.

Liberty4all

Banned
For what it's worth I am 4 hours into the game and at the start of mission 4 (there are 6). I'm playing on default difficulty. I expect to get at least 8 hours out of the campaign.

Wish I could give more details but embargo blah blah. Suffice to say it the game is incredibly atmospheric ... Also the backstory is firmed up in game via collectables. Korean invasion aside, the game is a chilling visual journey through an America whose way of life has completely collapsed thanks to peak oil and a failed economy. It's like every doomer survivalists darkest fantasies come true. It makes me REALLY hope that Saudi Arabia doesn't go up in flames on March 11th.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Htown said:
You know, if they hadn't tried to pretend their story was "terrifyingly plausible", more people would have just gone along with it. Once you put that out there, it makes people actually LOOK at the backstory.

YES. YES. THIS. Thank you.

Dabanton

Bamelin said:
For what it's worth I am 4 hours into the game and at the start of mission 4 (there are 6). I'm playing on default difficulty. I expect to get at least 8 hours out of the campaign.

Wish I could give more details but embargo blah blah. Suffice to say it the game is incredibly atmospheric ... Also the backstory is firmed up in game via collectables. Korean invasion aside, the game is a chilling visual journey through an America whose way of life has completely collapsed thanks to peak oil and a failed economy. It's like every doomer survivalists darkest fantasies come true. It makes me REALLY hope that Saudi Arabia doesn't go up in flames on March 11th.

I've seen HL2 more sombre mood talked about in terms of the atmosphere of this game is that true?

It's quite funny really - but people will pick at anything these days.

A major reason that people aren't interested in this game is because the backstory isn't plausible? Seriously... WTF is this for an argument.

This is the entire point of GAMES... it's to play out situations that aren't necessarily real life like.

So you wont play a game with magic in it because magic isn't plausible? What about futuristic space games? What about basically ANY VIDEO GAME STORY EVER MADE?

Such BS arguments against the game that the story is the problem... so what if the story could never happen - for the purpose of this game, it has. It gives us an excuse to fight in the shoes of the usual enemies in the shooting games (ie; playing as the people who have been invaded on their home soil). For me, I think it's a damn cool idea. I like the slight future part because there will be some fun extra technologies etc. I also like the idea of the resistance movement (HL similarities - yes thanks).

However - what I've seen concerns me a little bit so far. If there is a part in the game with 'infinite re-spawning bad guys' that keep coming until I push forward. At that moment I'm going to be PISSED and I will consider turning off the game and never coming back.

I think it's more to do with the effort they've gone through to make it seem more plausible, which in turn has the opposite effect.

I'm sure most would have been happy with 'unified Korea invades US, oh noez', rather than the '2013 - gas prices rise; 2014 - Pokemon stops selling, creates gap in US economy' line they seem to have taken.

Liberty4all

Banned
Dabanton said:
I've seen HL2 more sombre mood talked about in terms of the atmosphere of this game is that true?

The game is very dark both in terms of story but even moreso in terms of what you are seeing visually.

This "future" is terrifying because it could very well happen. Not the Koreans invading but everything else depicted visually in the game. Economic collapse. Martial law. Limited gas availability. The collapse of suburbia. Empty mega stores. Formerly middle class Americans living on the streets.

The game visually shows you what that might look like and THAT is something that could very well happen in our lifetimes (I pray it doesn't).

While the Korean part of the story I personally find pretty implausible, let me be the first to say the devs haven't pulled any punches in terms of how Americans might fare under such a regime. You guys saw Red Dawn right? Same writer who penned the story for Homefront. Remember how civilians were treated in that movie?

Truant

Does this have some systemic stuff to it, or is it just CoD in a new setting, in terms of level design and such.

I'd love an open-world game like this, but I guess it's pretty linear?

ColonialRaptor said:
It's quite funny really - but people will pick at anything these days.

A major reason that people aren't interested in this game is because the backstory isn't plausible? Seriously... WTF is this for an argument.

This is the entire point of GAMES... it's to play out situations that aren't necessarily real life like.

So you wont play a game with magic in it because magic isn't plausible? What about futuristic space games? What about basically ANY VIDEO GAME STORY EVER MADE?

Well the game takes itself too seriously not to focus on plausibility. A game like this is really trying to push a gritty, realistic version of events in the near future. That seems to require at least a little plausibility, unless it's clear that this is just a 'cool dystopia'.

If you want to bite the bullet and accept it despite the fact that the story is ridiculous - that's just fine. But it's also fair to those who feel the immersion is broken because of the Korea thing and that the U.S. is just not worth plundering.

For a parallel example, one could look at Metroid: Other M. A lot of metroid nuts got their panties in a twist because of the ideology behind how the gameplay unfolded. She was ordered to use certain weapons and that's apparently a huge taboo, even though the gameplay mechanic was exactly the same as previous Metroids in that respect.

The multiplayer looks allright, i like the in-game currency system and battle commander seems like it could really work.

Waiting for a demo or at least some (user) reviews before i decide on it

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Bamelin said:
The game is very dark both in terms of story but even moreso in terms of what you are seeing visually.

This "future" is terrifying because it could very well happen. Not the Koreans invading but everything else depicted visually in the game. Economic collapse. Martial law. Limited gas availability. The collapse of suburbia. Empty mega stores. Formerly middle class Americans living on the streets.

The game visually shows you what that might look like and THAT is something that could very well happen in our lifetimes (I pray it doesn't).

While the Korean part of the story I personally find pretty implausible, let me be the first to say the devs haven't pulled any punches in terms of how Americans might fare under such a regime. You guys saw Red Dawn right? Same writer who penned the story for Homefront. Remember how civilians were treated in that movie?
Great to hear your basic impressions so far, look forward to hearing more. :)

As mentioned I only got to play the first 3 chapters, but I agree with everything you have said. There is some very disturbing visual imagery in the game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
dragonfart28 said:
Well the game takes itself too seriously not to focus on plausibility. A game like this is really trying to push a gritty, realistic version of events in the near future. That seems to require at least a little plausibility, unless it's clear that this is just a 'cool dystopia'.

If you want to bite the bullet and accept it despite the fact that the story is ridiculous - that's just fine. But it's also fair to those who feel the immersion is broken because of the Korea thing and that the U.S. is just not worth plundering.

For a parallel example, one could look at Metroid: Other M. A lot of metroid nuts got their panties in a twist because of the ideology behind how the gameplay unfolded. She was ordered to use certain weapons and that's apparently a huge taboo, even though the gameplay mechanic was exactly the same as previous Metroids in that respect.
The details of the scenario aren't what make a story plausible. It's the way that people in the story feel, react and behave. Here is an interview clip from Salman Rushdie on the subject. I posted it in the pre-order thread too:

Magical Realism is still realism

Games rarely get that part right though, so it could be a moot point anyway.

SapientWolf said:
The details of the scenario aren't what make a story plausible. It's the way that people in the story feel, react and behave.

Sorry, there is no way I'll bite the bullet on this one. I won't even care about how the people in a story feel, react or behave if I can't accept the premise to begin with. But I'm just one guy - go enjoy the game if you're really keen on it. The multiplayer sounds very promising.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lord Griegous said:
Problem for me is that an 8-9 hour campaign for a game whose MP I really don´t care about is too short.

Even though the premises of the SP are interesting, I guess I´ll wait for a price drop.
Seems like it would be better to either rent it, Gamefly it, or pick it up on Amazon for the bonus and $10 credit and then trade it or eBay it for ~$30. That way you'll still get to participate in the discussion and it won't be competing with Crysis 2, Brink, Portal 2 and FEAR 3 for your time.

Damn, lots of MP gameplay there! Wish I wasn't at work.

Game still has the look of a polished mod...but the gameplay looks great.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Anyone else a little fed up of coming into a Homefront thread and being confronted with nothing but

"this story is impossible and can't possibly happen therefore I won't play this game"

And

"5 hour campaign? That sucks cos I don't care about MP!"

Honestly who the hell are these guys cos they sure as hell don't sound like the target audience and I wish they'd stop filling every Homefront thread they see with literally pages and pages of the same crap. I can't remember another game that's garnered such a weird and pathetic response from gamers. Before embargo has even been lifted to boot!

If you don't care about COD like MP, look elsewhere. This game is aimed squarely at fans of the COD formula who are ready for something new.

The campaigns seem similar in direction and length, the MP is the main selling point, this kind of game has been a staple of the industry for awhile now. The plot tries to be different but honestly it isn't really is it? It's just army soldiers all over again.

Can't get my head around the weight of reaction.

Marleyman

Banned
kaizoku said:
Anyone else a little fed up of coming into a Homefront thread and being confronted with nothing but

"this story is impossible and can't possibly happen therefore I won't play this game"

And

Definitely annoyed by it. I just don't understand how some judge a game solely based on the length of the SP, especially without every playing it. If reviewer X says it took him 5 hours, all of a sudden there is an internet shitstorm proclaiming this as a negative. It is sad but inevitable.

soultron

Banned
The great thing about the game is that the PR won't be screaming at you, "THIS STORY IS SO PLAUSIBLE, BRAH!"

PR does not exist in the gameplay vacuum. I think it's so foolish that people are dismissing this game because of the PR bits.

MarshMellow96 said:
The UAV gets a health boost for getting level 2 - do infantry get the same?

Is there a limit on UAVs in the battlefield?

Your threat level and associated buffs can be vehicle specific, yes. Whatever you're using on your streak is what gets buffed (and targeted by the opposing Battle Commander).

If you pause at the kit loadouts, you can get an idea of how the BP work. One of his loadouts has a ground drone for ~500 BP and a hellfire missile for ~1000 BP.

I'm really liking the idea of BP. I never liked the idea of kill streaks--BP/score streaks seem much more appropriate.

Rikyfree

kaizoku said:

And

Honestly who the hell are these guys cos they sure as hell don't sound like the target audience and I wish they'd stop filling every Homefront thread they see with literally pages and pages of the same crap. I can't remember another game that's garnered such a weird and pathetic response from gamers. Before embargo has even been lifted to boot!

If you don't care about COD like MP, look elsewhere. This game is aimed squarely at fans of the COD formula who are ready for something new.

The campaigns seem similar in direction and length, the MP is the main selling point, this kind of game has been a staple of the industry for awhile now. The plot tries to be different but honestly it isn't really is it? It's just army soldiers all over again.

Exactly. If you don't want the MP and don't want to spend the bones to play the SP, just rent the damn thing.

kaizoku said:

And

Nerve.jpg

kaizoku said:

And

What a bunch of rotten crap. For one, and this has been explained before, the questions of plausibility were raised largely because of the fucking intro to the thread which states, amusingly, that we're looking at a terrifyingly plausible scenario. Shit snowballs, but let's not pretend that it is being singled out for no reason whatsoever here.

As for the second point, the ever-so-retarded "stop bitching about SP, it's a multiplayer game," excuse me for not being all too happy to sit down and shut up while SP becomes an increasingly marginal part of the experience. And, again, this shit is being pimped hard by the developer, so there's not a whole lot of reason to expect the audience to be entirely forgiving of what supposedly is a very thin campaign.

I'm not usually one to get all huffy about the length of a campaign assuming that it is replayable and/or is a fullfilling once-through experience, but military shooters as of late have felt like episodes more so than full campaigns, and with multi also being a wild card depending on launch day issues and audience reception, it's a tough sell at full price.

But hey.

By the way, this premise and mood seems very similar to that of Heartland.

Top Bottom