• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

I've given it a fair go, but in the end, I'm sad to say that Homefront shall being going back to the Shopfront (lol).

I don't know if it's because I'm located in Australia, but I'm yet to get anything above a red connection. This, in itself, is not that bad, but unless I get the ABSOLUTE jump on someone at close quarters, I will get fucked on.

And as others have said before me:

> the game looks like pure, unadulterated ass - everything is shiny and jaggy.
> it controls worse than the many games it endeavors to emulate.
> there is basically zero recoil on the guns; the fact that I can basically snipe people with my ACR across the length of the map is utter bullshit.
> the gun-play is far from satisfying; headshot some dudes with the M82 in KZ3 and then tell me which feels better
> too many prone/sniping cockmasters.
> the menus/presentation is very shit.

I really wanted to like this game - I've even had quite a bit of fun with it. Ultimately, however, it's just not my type of game and there have been far too many omnipresent niggling issues.

Power to you, if you're enjoying it. A good shooter is hard to come by, these days.

RedStep

JaxJag said:
I feel a lot of the complaints in this thread are from people just not understanding the multiplayer.

Everything in Homefront has a counter, usually multiple counters.

Copters killing your team? Buy a LAV, shoot them down within seconds. Can't afford that? Spec an anti-air character, and use the proximity rocket launcher along with the boomer perk.

The proximity rocket launcher also makes drones basically useless if you're having problems with them.

Everything has a counter.

That may be true, but it doesn't mean that the game is fun. It has a bunch of decent ideas, but no execution. Yes, I can switch to anti-air and shoot down a drone or two before I'm killed. Two more will replace them by the time I respawn, then I realize that I have no interest in playing a drone-shooting game.

Frontlines was far more balanced, the map size and design of Homefront doesn't support the amount of shit they added.

JaxJag

Banned
RedStep said:
That may be true, but it doesn't mean that the game is fun. It has a bunch of decent ideas, but no execution. Yes, I can switch to anti-air and shoot down a drone or two before I'm killed. Two more will replace them by the time I respawn, then I realize that I have no interest in playing a drone-shooting game.

Frontlines was far more balanced, the map size and design of Homefront doesn't support the amount of shit they added.
If you're seeing that many drones, then you're team is just getting pounded.

The Buzzard costs 800 BPs, that's not exactly cheap.

RedStep

JaxJag said:
If you're seeing that many drones, then you're team is just getting pounded.

The Buzzard costs 800 BPs, that's not exactly cheap.

Could be. Doesn't excuse them allowing it to become a shitfest for the losing team. As mentioned, capturing the points takes a backseat to kills. That makes the entire objective a waste. Battlefield has always done a good job of balancing the ticket system so that the objective always remains to capture and hold points rather than rack up cheap kills.

I don't feel that the game offered up anything in the face of its competition. As I mentioned, I love Frontlines. Many hated it. You're free to enjoy Homefront, but the critical and customer response isn't because we don't understand how the game is played.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What the hell is going on with the game

I got thrown into 8 game lobbies all on standby, room fills up to 10-12, wait 2-3 minutes, people just leave

Ground Control got dead real quick

First MP game that runs off a fucking schedule, no fucking joke

If you play from 12pm-10/11pm you will get good to moderate room, try @ late night or early morning = LOL dead game, this is the first time I'm seeing this in a long ass time

angelfly

Reached level 34 and finally got to try out the parrot drone stuff mentioned a few pages back. So much fun to be had. My first try I ended with 8 kills 17 assist and 0 deaths.

desu

Pretty much lv40 and still having tons of fun. Some frustation comes from stupid teams but man I had some epic matches last night. Had a team that apparently didnt know how to use rocket launchers so I had to take down like 10-15 vehicles (man choppers are so easy to take down). Also it always seems if I dont play recon drone then nobody will...

Is there a secret achievement for the pc version? I got the Tea Party achievement today which doesnt seem to be listed for the console version?

I also started some single player and my gf and me were wondering, what the heck is with all the tomatoes in the Oasis. You can't win if you just eat tomatoes all day <.<. That was just weird, they were pretty much everywhere.

mxgt

Banned
Finished the single player and enjoyed it apart from the frustrating deaths.

Still cannot get into the multi player at all so that's it for me.

Zenith

Banned
Rented, beat SP, left feeling unfulfilled.

It felt like half a game (and that's including MP). Not fleshed out at all, rushes you through.

Also, we're supposed to be a crucial asset to the Resistance's plan but it's us they keep sending out on suicide runs, e.g. those fucking gates.

Klocker

noire said:
Spent the last 15 minutes trying to get into a game. Keep ending up in 3 person lobbies that go nowhere as everyone loses patience and drops.

Promising foundation, but I think I'm throwing this one on Craigslist.

still sorting out server issues.... maintenance is on today....hopefully it will be better soon as game is all kinds of fun when it's on

JaxJag

Banned
RavenHawk said:
How do you change the single player difficulty on the console version?
You have to go into the main menu options and change the difficulty from there.

Really weird, I haven't seen a game do that in years.

I'm not a fan of the campaign. The story while interesting, there just doesn't seem to be enough of it. The aim assist just makes aiming feel awkward, A.I. is extremely poor.

I do really enjoy the multiplayer. I almost wished they would have done away with the campaign, added some more content to the multiplayer (more game types, maps, etc), and sold the game at $29.99 or $39.99.

RavenHawk

noire said:
Been pretty decent when I've been on, but it's hard to tell if the community is abandoning it already. Seems likely to get into Medal of Honor territory, especially with these issues at launch.

Cutting my losses. Amazon will give me $35. Going to put that toward Battlefield 3.

It trades in for $38 at Bestbuy/Bestbuy.com if you want to go that route.

JaxJag said:
You have to go into the main menu options and change the difficulty from there.

Really weird, I haven't seen a game do that in years.

Thanks JaxJag.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
RedStep said:
Could be. Doesn't excuse them allowing it to become a shitfest for the losing team. As mentioned, capturing the points takes a backseat to kills. That makes the entire objective a waste. Battlefield has always done a good job of balancing the ticket system so that the objective always remains to capture and hold points rather than rack up cheap kills.

I don't feel that the game offered up anything in the face of its competition. As I mentioned, I love Frontlines. Many hated it. You're free to enjoy Homefront, but the critical and customer response isn't because we don't understand how the game is played.
Kills don't go towards the point total needed to win a round of Ground Control in Homefront. BP are separate from the ground control points.

noire said:
Been pretty decent when I've been on, but it's hard to tell if the community is abandoning it already. Seems likely to get into Medal of Honor territory, especially with these issues at launch.
Don't know about the consoles but Homefront is trailing BC2's peak server count by about 1k on Steam.

Sethos

Banned
It's annoying me to the point of frustration that didn't implement a more tactical mode. I love so much about the game, the gunplay, the atmosphere, the effects and the size of the game. However, it's hard to enjoy in those current clusterfuck modes! Drones EVERYWHERE, missiles, tanks and whatnot and the constant chaos that makes no sense most of the time. Yes, it's a very team-minded game and with the right team it could be awesome but 95% of my time, like with every other game will be spent publicly with random people and that's a frustrating experience and then some.

I was ready to chew off my own arm after playing MW2 sometimes but this game has probably taken first place on my frustration meter so far - God. Just like MW2, it reinforces the good players and excels the further with crazy killstreaks. In this game, it excels an entire team and provides easy kills, steam rolling and helicopters.

I haven't even seen any of those helicopters get shot down yet ... Hopefully they add some less frustrating game-modes quickly or this game is going in the 'Never again' pile, unfortunately.

Oh by the way, anyone else feels that 30 FPS is a bit ... uneven? Feels like a constant rollercoaster of over and under 30 FPS, like the game is constantly warping in and out of a very tiny slowmotion effect ....

plc268

SapientWolf said:
Kills don't go towards the point total needed to win a round of Ground Control in Homefront. BP are separate from the ground control points.

Don't know about the consoles but Homefront is trailing BC2's peak server count by about 1k on Steam.

Keep in mind homefront is steamworks, bc2 isn't

I'm giving KAOS until next Friday to patch up matchmaking/servers. If I still can't get into games without have to wait over 15 minutes, I'm just gonna trade this into Amazon. Have my $35 trade in credit locked in until Saturday; don't want to do this but with a combination of a subpar singleplayer and a broken multiplayer, there's no point in keeping this game...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sethos said:
It's annoying me to the point of frustration that didn't implement a more tactical mode. I love so much about the game, the gunplay, the atmosphere, the effects and the size of the game. However, it's hard to enjoy in those current clusterfuck modes! Drones EVERYWHERE, missiles, tanks and whatnot and the constant chaos that makes no sense most of the time. Yes, it's a very team-minded game and with the right team it could be awesome but 95% of my time, like with every other game will be spent publicly with random people and that's a frustrating experience and then some.

I was ready to chew off my own arm after playing MW2 sometimes but this game has probably taken first place on my frustration meter so far - God. Just like MW2, it reinforces the good players and excels the further with crazy killstreaks. In this game, it excels an entire team and provides easy kills, steam rolling and helicopters.

I haven't even seen any of those helicopters get shot down yet ... Hopefully they add some less frustrating game-modes quickly or this game is going in the 'Never again' pile, unfortunately.

Oh by the way, anyone else feels that 30 FPS is a bit ... uneven? Feels like a constant rollercoaster of over and under 30 FPS, like the game is constantly warping in and out of a very tiny slowmotion effect ....
You can drop a chopper with ~400bp worth of hardware. I've done it before. Proximity launchers and AT drones are effective AA. Here's something most people don't know:

SneakyStephan said:
The AT drone is like that little machine gun drone that you drive around.
Only instead of a machine gun it has a rocket launcher on it.

It's horrible against infantry (takes 2 pretty much direct hits to kill someone) , but it is really tough (only weak against melee and explosives) and if you keep any enemy vehicle or drone centered in the square that is lined out on your aiming , then it will go red and lock on, if you shoot then , it will shoot off FIVE homing missiles instead of one 'dumb' missile.

This will instakill any drone, two of these salvos will usually take out an apache (maybe 3 if it's full health).
Since there is only a 5-6second delay between salvos it's really really effective at taking out anything airborne. (and you are a small, agile target so it's not that easy to shoot you down or avoid you)

It's even good against enemy jeeps and those APCs and tanks.

Plus it only costs 300-350 points depending on what perk you use.

Sethos

Banned
SapientWolf said:
You can drop a chopper with ~400bp worth of hardware. I've done it before. Proximity launchers and AT drones are effective AA. Here's something most people don't know:

Aren't AT-Drones like level 30+ ? And the Proximity launcher, is that available below 14?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can't believe how much fun I have just spotting enemies and dropping bombs on them from behind enemy lines.

Sethos said:
Aren't AT-Drones like level 30+ ? And the Proximity launcher, is that available below 14?
Level 21, once you get it, choppers and elusive parrots become easy pickings. Proximity Launcher is ~34 though. Never knew whether that thing actually worked on helicopters tho

Sethos

Banned
razgriz417 said:
Level 21, once you get it, choppers and elusive parrots become easy pickings

Can't wait to see my chances of using it. Every other drone I have out gets insta-killed by something and trying to hit helicopters with anything as most pilots suffer from severe ADHD and will be all over the place.

I don't really enjoy this type of clusterfuck combat and annoys me even more I have to adapt to it, in order to give the game a fair shake :( Main reason why I never enjoyed Battlefield games whatsoever - Maybe a bit of an own-goal buying Homefront.

Think I'll just hold off for additional game-modes or trade it in at Gamestop while it still holds value.

I love it when this game won't let me access the multiplayer playlist. Failed to load? WTF is this shit KAOS? Every other day this game has problems for me. I'm getting to the end of my patience with this shit.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
razgriz417 said:
Level 21, once you get it, choppers and elusive parrots become easy pickings. Proximity Launcher is ~34 though. Never knew whether that thing actually worked on helicopters tho

Using that for a parrot is almost always a waste, though - parrots are cheap and can instantly be up again if shot down. Even with the other team actively trying to shoot my parrots down, I can have it up 99% of the time during a match.

commish said:
Using that for a parrot is almost always a waste, though - parrots are cheap and can instantly be up again if shot down. Even with the other team actively trying to shoot my parrots down, I can have it up 99% of the time during a match.

Yea but in most of my games, I feel like I'm the only one that even tries to shoot those buggers down. That and its free points, you see a lot more parrots than you do any vehicle on the field

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just started the single-player up. Since i figure it is short i am playing on hardest difficulty.

It is hard but not too hard yet. Hopefully i don't run into any impossible sections.

So far it is alright. Interesting premise. Controls seem a little odd though for some reason (360).

Klocker

razgriz417 said:

Proximity Launcher is also in the default Explosive class from day one

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just beat the campaign, thought it was very well done, but a tad short. The whole story was there, and I felt complete when done, just felt like they could have added a bit more meat in some of the levels. There was one level that felt perfect for meat, it was the
farm area when you are heading to steal the chopper, it just felt like that level lasted a good while.

Overall I feel that I liked the campaign in this better than Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2 or even Bad Company 2. Hopefully number 2 is beefed up in all areas.

Mikey Jr.

PS3 version here:

Anybody select a playlist, and it puts you in a lobby of 6 people that never seems to want to fill up? The fuck is going on with this?

Have to keep backing out and trying out other playlists, which does the same shit. I just have to get lucky and get a good room.

--Ohh, and you cant leave it there waiting to fill, because if you dont move your controller, it kicks you for idling.

Idling.........in the lobby.....

Come on Kaos.

Flunkie

Banned
Regardless of what anyone else says, I'm having a blast with the game. I'm specifically staying away from GAF hivemind on this one. I wanted to like this game, and so I'm really legitimately finding enjoyment out of it. So what if it's not the best game ever?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If the reports of this game costing $50 million are true, then I gotta wonder where the hell it went?

Campaign is *awful*, it's short (which in this case was a blessing in disguise), it's ugly as sin, has no voice talent to suck away money... The multiplayer has what... 7 maps which are made entirely of SP assets. So what... did Kaos spend 1.5 years on a beach in tahiti drinking pina coladas then squirt this game out in 6 months or something?

ShikaTheReaper said:
Ugh i really want to try this game but there so many mixed reviews >< i want another shooter to play T_T
The game is good, but I'm not sure that Homefront deserves its price. Bought it for only 15$ and feels good with it.

The_Player said:
The game is good, but I'm not sure that Homefront deserves its price. Bought it for only 15$ and feels good with it.

i guess ill just wait and see what happens. one of my friends might pick ip up and then ill try it.

ShikaTheReaper said:
Ugh i really want to try this game but there so many mixed reviews >< i want another shooter to play T_T

My opinion if your interested in both Homefront and Crysis 2, wait for the Crysis 2 reviews to drop and make up your mind. Homefront is a hit or miss. Sometimes it works great. Sometimes it's a nightmare to play.

samus4ever said:
My opinion if your interested in both Homefront and Crysis 2, wait for the Crysis 2 reviews to drop and make up your mind. Homefront is a hit or miss. Sometimes it works great. Sometimes it's a nightmare to play.

Yeah that was my back up plan. I really want a new shooter to play.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sinatar said:
If the reports of this game cost $50 million are true, then I gotta wonder where the hell it went?

Campaign is *awful*, it's short (which in this case was a blessing in disguise), it's ugly as sin, has no voice talent to suck away money... The multiplayer has what... 7 maps which are made entirely of SP assets. So what... did Kaos spend 1.5 years on a beach in tahiti drinking pina coladas then squirt this game out in 6 months or something?
I doubt that it really took $50 mil, since the game is pretty much a sequel to Frontlines with a 3 year turnaround. There's only about a hundred heads at the studio. It's probably closer to $20-$30 mil, if that.

Yeah, don't buy this one for the SP. I don't even know if I'm going to play the campaign. It's still about one or two patches away from being something I can recommend for the MP.

samus4ever said:

I find that the multiplayer is a lot of fun, when it works...the amount of issues with hard crashes and matchmaking I'm having (PS3) is making it a bit more difficult to recommend the game. When you can get into the type of game you want its great, love the Battle Commander aspect that rewards and challenges/punishes you based on your performance. The hard part is trying to get into games in general. Have you all been having issues with the servers on the 360 and PC versions?

razgriz417 said:
I find that the multiplayer is a lot of fun, when it works...the amount of issues with hard crashes and matchmaking I'm having (PS3) is making it a bit more difficult to recommend the game. When you can get into the type of game you want its great, love the Battle Commander aspect that rewards and challenges/punishes you based on your performance. The hard part is trying to get into games in general. Have you all been having issues with the servers on the 360 and PC versions?

Damn i wouldnt be able to enjoy a game that way >.<

razgriz417 said:
Have you all been having issues with the servers on the 360 and PC versions?
Not a single problem with servers @ PC. Ping - stable; hitboxes - awesome. For real. The only problem is the game engine - periodic crashes during map loadings, shitty optimization, etc.

razgriz417 said:

Yes on the 360 version. Sometimes it will boot me from a game and not even let me load the playlist. Sometimes it will just freeze when it says loading into the multiplayer. Half the time the servers are not working. The cons outweigh the pros right now for me by a LONG shot.

Top Bottom