• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

LowParry

I think it's what, the Buzzer? Is that just made for anti tank control? Cause using them for infantry is terrrrrrrrible. And also the M16, I don't think it's as powerful as it says. Single shots sure, but it should take at least 3 shots like the SCAR to kill someone. Not 5 - 7.

Can't do well in multi today, it's like I am missing every target I aim at, also I am starting to see more and more snipers appearing which is not good.

Some more close range maps would have made this game a lot better, only the village one with lots of houses feels good to me, all the others I am being killed out of nowhere too often :(

i'm starting to feel the will to sell.

mxgt

Banned
Heavy said:
I'm done. I can't take it anymore. The amount of prone camping is unbelievable. Getting shot from across the map 5 seconds after spawning by a prone asshole hiding behind a rock or whatever impossible cover to see from that far just turns me off so much. The fact that you die almost instantly amplifies it all. Oh and they don't even have to be snipers. You can prone and pick off people across the map with ARs due to no recoil. OH and I've tried using the Parrot several times and each time it's gotten shot down within 10 seconds, even at high altitude. People are learning to target them now. I just can't play this type of game. Kudos to you if you're skilled enough to do well, but my play style is the complete opposite of what this game caters to, which is camping and proning like a jackass.

This sums up my feelings completely.

I'll finish the single player and then probably uninstall. The MP is promising but there's some really bad design decisions in there IMO.

Bboy AJ said:
They should have spent time polishing the game and server load instead of releasing balloons.

Its true that the guys who inflated those balloons were the ones directly responsible for the servers.

I can see getting pissed off by the snipers but really, it is more the fault of your team not working right. On that islands map or whatever with the tall hills I often circle around where all those bastards are sitting and knife them to death. I normally get 3 in a row.

I don't think all of it is bad design but unpolished design, over powered snipers with lots of open maps is asking for them to be used, heli's being a bitch to take down, AR drones being rather too good to gain BP... if only it had more time.

Game could look better too, really feels like it's 3 years old in console visuals, maybe 4. I found the single player looked a lot better and had more lighting compared to the dull brown fields in multi.

noire said:
Not sure that I've unlocked it yet.

The problem isn't that I'm spending all of my points on other shit, it's that I'm not making enough to buy the shit to combat things that are killing me.

I've been killed the proximity launcher a few times in my chopper. It's in the Explosive class.

I am starting to see the complaints on snipers. I do think sniper is a valid class in FPS games, but when you're getting killed by assault rifles ALL the way across the map...I don't think the developers intended the game to be played that way. It IS easy to kill them/counter snipe, but it has disrupted the gameplay for me in a few matches, so much that I don't focus on objectives but just getting rid of snipers.

Still, it's the first week--there are going to be balance issues. QA'ing a game in house with hundreds or a few thousand people is different than hundreds of thousands of people. Give them some time. I usually give a dev a month to fix or acknowledge issues. I'm hoping they have great post-launch support.

To anyone who is pro-prone in FPS's: has this changed your mind at all?

Diablohead said:
I don't think all of it is bad design but unpolished design, over powered snipers with lots of open maps is asking for them to be used, heli's being a bitch to take down, AR drones being rather too good to gain BP... if only it had more time.

Game could look better too, really feels like it's 3 years old in console visuals, maybe 4. I found the single player looked a lot better and had more lighting compared to the dull brown fields in multi.

3 or 4 years old is as old and older than Frontlines, a game that had a lot of things going for it (like 50 players at the same time, large environments, and destructable buildings)

Homefront doesn't look bad or all that old. It has effects in there like SSAO that were not seen in a game (Gears 2) until late 2008. Also the flaring and screen effects are pretty recent efforts put in by games since Killzone 2 and MW2.

Much of the game, such as the foliage and hillsides does look like Frontlines. The colour palette is very similar probably because the art director or art team is the same. I think that the tech artists didn't investigate much in the way of lighting techniques, or maybe by the time they did they were told not to do it because they might make the game unstable at a point where they needed to ship.

All the art is technically sound though and well designed. The vehicles, characters, weapons, environments are well built.

If anyone tries to compare this to BF3, sure, but BF3 isn't out yet. Unfortunately it isn't as hot as Bad Company 2

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Warm Machine said:
Its true that the guys who inflated those balloons were the ones directly responsible for the servers.
You allocate resources properly. Instead of spending money on that sort of bullshit marketing, spend it on servers or something more directly related to HF's issues.

However short this game proves to be or contrived the plot ends up becoming, I absolutely love this game.

It has given me goosebumps, the
the white phosphorus part
is utterly fantastic. It has a resonance which I have never felt in any Call of Duty game.

I won't deny that this owes to a great deal to the stark imagery I had seen in real life
ie the use of W.P. in Gaza
but it really has been successful in making me believe in this world it attempts to create.

smik said:
Wow this game is actually really great :p

Picked this up today and its totally surprised me how deep and fun the online experience is, well worth the purchase. the Battle Points systems
works alot better then all other shooters and is really the next step up in how to unlock ability's & streaks should be done in MP FPS's.

The Maps are well thought-out and the gunplay is what will keep you coming back, its fast responsive and feels spot on. but i have to be
honest HF's graphics aren't the best and is the definitely HF's low point, lack of guns and map variety is a
downer hopefully DLC can come into affect with more of both.

anyways thought id share for those who are sitting on the fence, this game is F.U.N. FUN! dont be discouraged

also heres some great news :p

I had to check your post count to be sure after after a post like this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
A friend recommended an awesome set-up for a class and I have been absolutely dominating with it since.

M4 with red dot/holo (whatever sight you like)
Perks:
Steady Aim
Fast Reload
Fast Aim
Ghost

You can just own people because you can aim and fire so much faster with much greater accuracy.

EDIT: Also, not really understanding the "die instantly" thing. You don't die any faster here than you do in the Call of Duty games, maybe a tad slower even depending on what you get shot with. I hate it when I die to quickly in games, but this one feels fine to me. Guess it is all opinion though.

Bboy AJ said:
You allocate resources properly. Instead of spending money on that sort of bullshit marketing, spend it on servers or something more directly related to HF's issues.

Except that's the thing, it was not a money issue. They calculated how many servers they would need based on pre-orders and other factors and the actual demand ended up being way more than calculated. It wasn't that they had no money left for servers, they just got overwhelmed with demand.

LowParry

Deadly Cyclone said:
A friend recommended an awesome set-up for a class and I have been absolutely dominating with it since.

M4 with red dot/holo (whatever sight you like)
Perks:
Steady Aim
Fast Reload
Fast Aim
Ghost

You can just own people because you can aim and fire so much faster with much greater accuracy.

You should try the SCAR with the Acog Scope. So so good :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
CcrooK said:
You should try the SCAR with the Acog Scope. So so good :)

I will do so.

Upon finally playing a good amount over the past few days I can say that I don't really miss all the CoD guns. I would like to have a few more of each type and some different pistols, but I really don't miss having like 50 guns.

Mikey Jr.

Question:

Does winning a match (not a round) of Ground Control or the other modes give you any extra XP? How much is it if they do?

Bboy AJ said:

It doesn't do THQ any good to have people not play the game they bought due to a lack of servers. Don't act like they want ill will from people on day one.

Trust me, as someone who has gone through a multiplayer FPS launch it is a terrifying situation when loads of people can't play the game you have made even though the small amount of people who are playing it are enjoying it.

And yeah, people who are claiming the game is fun are not wrong. I was in multiple 360 servers last night with full 32/32 player games. Lots of people are playing and enjoying the game.

Again with the heli complaints:p
Guys wait until you unlock the AT drone, buy one when theres a heli up (and pray that it doesn't bug out, which it sadly does 7/10 times, but that's because the game is all sorts of bugged and broken, not because the AT sucks or the helis are too good).

More tips for those who are struggling (I'm level 43 now and owning shit up, but ONLY because I've figured out many of the spots to hide in, angles to take, tactics to abuse etc, which imo sucks bigtime).
Also , if you think the normal assault rifles have low recoil, you haven't seen anything yet.
Wait until you unlock the AK lol, it does very high damage, has the best default ironsight and has no recoil, zero, zilch.
It also has a slower fire rate so you can spray like 5-6 people down in a row before you have to reload.

Anyhow, here goes:

-look up every time you spawn, make a habit of scanning for parrots and those little rocket launcher helis.
It will keep things from getting out of hand.

-if you spawn on the bridge/field side on the Angel map, spawn in a humvee right away, drive around to the left side of the map on the left of the church, a bit past the church.
Park there and you get a view of the entire middle of the map (which the other team has to cross to get to the capture point.

You can cover church, B AND A from there, so get in the turret and mow down the entire enemy team and you'll be out of sight of the snipers at the refinery...
The map design in this game is so stupid it's not even funny.

-On the same map: save up for a tank , it's the best way to capture and hold B.

-If you keep getting shot down with a parrot then you are doing it wrong, those things are fast and nimble, ALWAYS stay near some form of cover that you can line of sight behind (wall/building/silo/stables/billboard/trees).
If you get shot at, duck down, flank around and carry on, you get a ton of bonus points if you can rank it up.

-Don't bother with the slow sniper , the 10 round mag one hits equally hard, shoots 3x faster and is just so much better overall.

-People can see your limbs stick through walls and billboards if you aren't careful... (nice glitch...) and they can hit them too.

-Machine guns are good to lock out an entire choke point in the town map, people won't dare stick their heads out considering how fast you die in this game.

-You can assign perks to the vehicles in your loadout , don't forget this!!!

-always check if there is an option to spawn in a teammates vehicle before you push that respawn button, 99 percent of vehicles stay empty because noone bothers ...
A tank with a good machine gunner can easily 5 star.

-don't forget that emp nades shit on vehicles and land drones!

-You can one shot melee a machine gun drone if you can get behind it.
On the flipside: you can take the drone explosion perk for maximum frustration for anyone trying to do that.

-your helicopter has flares, don't forget to use them.
If an enemy gets a lock on you can use them and it will give you time to discover the source (AT drone/enemy chopper).

-If your team has a chopper up: for the love of god, keep the skies clear of other helicopters (even the little drone one can do quite a number on an apache), and start spotting.
If you don't protect and aid the apache it's as good as useless.

-If you hear 'enemy airstrike incoming' then take a peek at your map.
If there are any green triangles near you (teammates) then you are almost guaranteed to get that airstrike right on top of you, start spreading out and look for the red target icon that appears on the map, run FAR away from it, it has a large explosion radius.

-Use your ears: you can clearly hear the pshhhhpshhh of the little rocket heli drone, take it out even if it's not shooting at you, or it will wreck the person it's trying to kill.
You can easily hear the machine gun drone drive around, listen for it, emp nade it, kill it.

The single one thing this game does right is the sound, everything has a distinct sound, footsteps are clearly distinguishable and you can easily track enemy movement by listening in what direction the noise they are making is going.
The last game that managed to do this was Counter strike... a decade ago.

Will add more if I think of anything.
Keeping the skies cleared and watching your map for airstrikes helps prevent a few of the ten thousand random ways to die in this game.

A post like that proves how many checks and balances the game actually has. Sure some stuff can be abused or needs tweaking but there is a ton of content in here and a ton of strat if you dig into it.

desu

Deadly Cyclone said:
EDIT: Also, not really understanding the "die instantly" thing. You don't die any faster here than you do in the Call of Duty games, maybe a tad slower even depending on what you get shot with. I hate it when I die to quickly in games, but this one feels fine to me. Guess it is all opinion though.

Uhm haven't died this quickly in BC2 nor the older CoD games. Often enough I can't even aim towards someone because I am falling down after 1-2 bullets.

Got my parrot drone to lvl 5 last night in BC GC on Suburbs. Their entire team trying to mow me down as I fly between houses, what a rush.

Warm Machine said:
A post like that proves how many checks and balances the game actually has. Sure some stuff can be abused or needs tweaking but there is a ton of content in here and a ton of strat if you dig into it.

The game is incredibly buggy though.
It's the most frustrating game I've played in a very long time.
There isn't a single function or thing in the game that doesn't have multiple ways to glitch or bug or just not work at all.
Drones movement and shooting, movement, jumping, hit detection in cover, emp nades can put your vehicle in a perpetual loop of being disabled (5-7 minutes last game where my tank couldnt move because the blue lighting effect was stuck), spawns (vehicles will spawn in the red zone at times, barely giving you enough time to scramble out of it before it blows up) , scoping, prone.
All of those are bugged, some of which in a way that they will never be able to fix. (drones getting stuck, hit detection near cover, drone physics).

Nearly every match has been a constant fight with the bugs and glitches.
It's been a painful learning process to figure out how to keep stuff from getting stuck or glitch out.
Add the terrible performance to that (20 fps staring at the floor on the angel map on low detail , also due to a bug since there are no performance issues if you start a practice game) and the mouse aim issues and this game should never have been released like this.

Maybe in a month or two when everything has been patched out (and I've not even mentioned the snipers or weapon damage and many ways to abuse map layout) and it might be a great experience, but right now I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone to be honest.

SapientWolf said:
The weapons were clearly balanced for the consoles, not the PC.

I am horribad with the AR drones though. Any tips?
Oh this so very much, I bought the game after looking at mp gameplay footage on youtube from the console version.
It's like a totally different game there....

About the AR drone: People will hear you coming.
I've only found two uses for it :
-Storming a base with the help of a bunch of infantry, where you basically 'tank' and lead to reveal enemy positions and hopefully kill one or two.
-Protecting part of the map when enemy team is trying to push, find a choke point that they HAVE to get past and lock it down from a distance.

This makes it really effective on the suburb map, but kind of useless everywhere else.

@ Deadly cyclone, are you playing on xbox or on pc?
I definately live a lot longer in bad company 2 (though death comes too fast for my liking in that game too), at least I usually have time to duck behind my cover or shoot back against a decent player.

The only thing that kills me in cod is the terrible spawn system causing people to constantly spawn in my back or flank, or right in an area that I just went through and considered 'cleared'.
(and the noobtubes/chopper/nade spam obviously).

Also shouldn't you be comparing it to games like cs, America's army, rtcw, sof2 or firearms.
Cod has way too little recoil and way too high damage/high fire rate to begin with.
The games in the list above all have so so so much more enjoyable and satisfying shooting mechanics.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Diablohead said:

I took out a heli with a proximity launcher and I've ran down snipers in a humvee (so satisfying), but you have a point. Snipers are basically trolling the flaws in infantry combat right now until DE patches the game. The weapons were clearly balanced for the consoles, not the PC. I wouldn't complain about the looks if the game could hold a steady 60fps in multiplayer but it can't, not even on godlike rigs. The patches are going to be make or break for this game.

I am horribad with the AR drones though. Any tips?

i'm raging right now and it's the final straw, someone was in clear view and I was burst fireing from prone at him using an acog, no hit markers or anything then I get taken out in 2-3 bullets, I was behind a tree peering around it a fair but but my bullets were doing fuck all.

That's not the only time too, i've notice on cars that the collision box is wonky at the front bumper area, you can see someones leg and thigh fully if they crouch yet you are shooting an invisible wall with sparks, other objects sometimes do the same thing.

I also keep getting placed into yellow ping servers, are there actually any in the UK?

Did this game really cost 50mil?

i'm selling and taking my £10 loss, it's upsetting but I can't stand bullshit like shooting with no damage. Sorry thq I tried my best but just can't stick.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
desu said:
Uhm haven't died this quickly in BC2 nor the older CoD games. Often enough I can't even aim towards someone because I am falling down after 1-2 bullets.

I came off playing Black Ops most recently and it feels equal to me. Bad Company 2 may be a bit slower for deaths than Homefront, but I am not having an issue with it. As I said, I think it's all an opinion thing. :)

desu

Deadly Cyclone said:
I came off playing Black Ops most recently and it feels equal to me. Bad Company 2 may be a bit slower for deaths than Homefront, but I am not having an issue with it. As I said, I think it's all an opinion thing. :)

Maybe its also because HF weapons are pretty much laser guns, while games like BC2 have bullet drop and so on which makes it a little harder to get the bullets into your target.

desu said:
Maybe its also because HF weapons are pretty much laser guns, while games like BC2 have bullet drop and so on which makes it a little harder to get the bullets into your target.

Yeah, at least the sniper seems to have a tiny bit of travel time though (just way too high damage/fire rate...) I have to really lead my shots from a distance. (could just be that the netcode is bad and it's laggy as hell despite 54 ping).
Also the pistol has some really strange delay to it, I'll often kill people with it after I die, and I'll hear the flesh rending sounds of my bullets hitting like 0.5 seconds after I fired my first shot...

Dabanton

Yeah i'm seeing people playing this like it's Black Op's and getting owned yes the game is fast but take your time. As it's the first week everyone is still on that level playing field no one really knows the maps yet.

I'm enjoying the ebb and flow of matches and once people have the maps down i could see well organised teams having some fantastic matches.

I think once week 2 comes and people who are not feeling it sell the game and move on it should settle down nicely.

FLEABttn

Banned
Single player was not bad, and I definitely enjoyed it more than say any recent CoD, but I'm getting tired of the set pieces game I think.

And I think I clocked in around four and a half hours. Disappointed from that perspective. I'd like more FPS's to focus on single player, and make it shine. These 4-6 hour of okayish single player modes are disappointing. If it's going to be that short, I'd better be pissed off when it ends because of how good it was (Max Payne 2).

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If you on PS3 and reading this, add me PSN: GraveRobberX if you want to get the Full Boat trophy

16 players in a party, silver trophy

Have 5 spots open

Meh fuck this game, shelving it for a month.
Last match we took and held all 3 objectives for pretty much the entire round, and we LOST.
(seriously, we lost one objective twice for about 10seconds each time, we recapped it immediately).

Enemy team was pretty much all snipers and campers sitting back and farming us, while we pushed for the objective (successfully).
And yet we lose because apparently you get more points from your kd ratio than for getting objectives.

Again, fuck ... this... game, reinstalling battlefield 2 , seems to be the only game where I can properly scratch my conquest mode itch.

GraveRobberX said:
If you on PS3 and reading this, add me PSN: GraveRobberX if you want to get the Full Boat trophy

16 players in a party, silver trophy

Have 5 spots open
just added you, PSN: razgriz417.

And what the hell is up with trying to get into games today? No servers are filling up and I'm wasting all my time just trying to get into a game...

FLEABttn

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, but apparently, people don't buy those.

Truly a damn shame.

MP has promise but I'm not sure how this passed QA PS3 side. It's hard to even talk about the balance side of things when I've hard locked 4 times since yesterday and I'm only level 5. Kaos, patch this, please.

smik

See You Next Wednesday said:
I had to check your post count to be sure after after a post like this.

let me warn you the game is Fugly, if you have a eye of a graphics enthusiast you will absolutely throw up at the visuals (360/PS3).
i was playing in a party of 4 so my experience was magnified when playing with friends, playing together and reaching objectives was alot of fun
but i could see playing lonewolf could be a liitle off-putting and boring.

HF has a lack of guns and MP location variety so i dont want to paint you a perfect picture HF because it certainly has its flaws, the BP system
is really smart idea and adds to the flow of the game, more shooters should implement this.

idk, wasn't expecting for me to enjoy HF based on the feedback here

grate

Apparently as the states are falling apart from the siege, ladders are impervious to destruction. Why do all of the maps have brand new ladders? Why are all the ladders the expandable kind?

I think Farm is the only map with ladders that have shown any kind of wear. I find it really hard to sink my teeth into this compelling story, when all of the ladders are brand new in all of the maps. I am stuck in cities that have plywood windows and broken roofs and floors, but all of the ladders are still brand new.

If the ladders aren't the super cool brand new kind, or the semi-degraded ones found in Farm... they are the blue ladders stolen from playground sets. You know the ones I am talking about, they have the rounded tops... such as the one found on the Hooters sign in generic multiplayer level 5.

Also, why is it that there are two versions of every map...

Take for instance the awesome classics that are 'Cul De Sac' and 'Suburbs'. I thought these maps were the same map, until I couldn't find the baby sniper tree fort when I was playing 'Cul De Sac'. Then I realized the swimming pool was missing, and I almost lost my shit. Turns out that 'Cul De Sac' and 'Suburbs are pretty much identical maps, except 'Cul De Sac' has little children's playsets on the back side of the map, and 'Suburbs' has a tree fort and swimming pool.

Similarly, generic multiplayer map 1 with the broken bridge you walk on and generic multiplayer map 2 with the broken bridge you walk under... awesome all around guys.

Getting back on topic, I also like the ragdoll effect when you knife camp some child sniper trying to climb on top of the White Castle or Hooters in generic multiplayer level 4. They get their hand stuck in the ladder and wave around frantically when they die.

I also like when the awesome servers are lagging so hard that you die and don't even see any death sequence or anything... just get thrown right back into the loadout selection.

I regret purchasing this game more than I regret the shitshow that was Blacklight Tango Down. At least that game was $15 dollars and had futuristic ladders, and didn't have a single playset or swimming pool or White Castle or Hooters sign.

Hixx

MP gets more enjoyable as you play but you feel incredibly gimped when you start out. The abundance of snipers once again ruining the first few weeks of a new FPS though. Go play fucking Time Crisis if all you want to do is sit and shoot :(

HixxSAFC said:
MP gets more enjoyable as you play but you feel incredibly gimped when you start out. The abundance of snipers once again ruining the first few weeks of a new FPS though. Go play fucking Time Crisis if all you want to do is sit and shoot :(

Not a problem, I just sit next to them with my exploding parrot drones.

Sitting snipers are helpless against it.

Makoto

People must come across some really dumb snipers. The drones are so loud and just completely obvious that as soon as I see one, I just fire my couple of shots at it and it's down.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SneakyStephan said:
Meh fuck this game, shelving it for a month.
Last match we took and held all 3 objectives for pretty much the entire round, and we LOST.
(seriously, we lost one objective twice for about 10seconds each time, we recapped it immediately).

Enemy team was pretty much all snipers and campers sitting back and farming us, while we pushed for the objective (successfully).
And yet we lose because apparently you get more points from your kd ratio than for getting objectives.

Again, fuck ... this... game, reinstalling battlefield 2 , seems to be the only game where I can properly scratch my conquest mode itch.
BF2 uses a ticket system, and tickets are tied to the number of respawns with the number of flags held being used as a multiplier. I thought that Homefront had meters that filled at a rate determined by the number of objectives currently held and the duration of time that they were held for, independent of kills. But there's no manual so I can't confirm it.

Just finished the campaign. It improves exponentially after the first 3 'levels'.

The hyped up story is nonexistent, and the intro really lays down some expectations that the game never comes close to delivering on from a narrative perspective.

In the end I was satisfied with it. Could have been longer, but they clearly focused on quality over quantity. The game's riddled with technical shortcomings, but I was generally impressed with the encounter design and scripted sequences. Sure, they could've packed another hour of unimaginative corridor shooting to bring it up to Call of Duty length, but the game wouldn't have been better off for it.

I'll jump back into the multiplayer tonight. Still not sure if I like it, but given I've come back to it more than once, that's a good sign. If anyone with the PC version wants to play, hit me up on Steam: gorillawar1

dustin

Neo Member
When the game works, and by that I mean being able to quickly join a lag-free game, it's pretty great. But I've been playing since launch day and this is rarely happens :/

JaxJag

Banned
I feel a lot of the complaints in this thread are from people just not understanding the multiplayer.

Everything in Homefront has a counter, usually multiple counters.

Copters killing your team? Buy a LAV, shoot them down within seconds. Can't afford that? Spec an anti-air character, and use the proximity rocket launcher along with the boomer perk.

The proximity rocket launcher also makes drones basically useless if you're having problems with them.

Everything has a counter.

Top Bottom