• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

R2D4

Banned
Has Kaos Studios ever made a game before? Serious question? Because Homefront would be freaking awesome if it was 2006. 4 hour SP? Really?

I can't count how many times I died in this game. Mainly from the shitty controls. Partially because of the horrid hit detection. Shooting at a guy and nothing registering. I have no idea how I died some times. Just running to "follow me" Connor during a battle and there would be some red explosion out of no where even though I had to follow Connor and do what he said.

And don't you dare kill an enemy before Connor gives you the ok. FAIL MISSON. What bullshit.

The AI is stupid and slow. Sorry I know where to go and am there waiting by the time my shitty AI team mates tell me where to go. Couldn't be more obvious. And ememy will be standing there shooting at me and Connor or whoever would be standing there watching the whole thing 5 feet from the bad guy.

This game is half scripted events. Shooting the 6 guys in slow mo after you kick the door open in chapter 5 I think and having the barrels explode even when you aren't shooting at them. Exploding barrels up the ass in the this game. Died many times because I made the mistake of running into a barrel before slow ass Connor told me to. Ugh. Horrible game. Especially coming off the high of finishing Bulletstorm yesterday.

Tried multiplayer but gave up after 30 min of "Waiting for more players" Did no one buy it on PS3 or what? Glad to sell it back to Amazon ASAP.

R2D4 said:
Has Kaos Studios ever made a game before? Serious question? Because Homefront would be freaking awesome if it was 2006. 4 hour SP? Really?

In 2008...

Frontlines.jpg

...and, at the time, I bloody loved. Not sure what happened here. I think they punched above their weight with HF.

The same main team (with probably less staff), made Desert Combat (the Battlefield 1942 mod) too.

R2D4 said:

I can't count how many times I died in this game. Mainly from the shitty controls. Partially because of the horrid hit detection. Shooting at a guy and nothing registering. I have no idea how I died some times. Just running to "follow me" Connor during a battle and there would be some red explosion out of no where even though I had to follow Connor and do what he said.

And don't you dare kill an enemy before Connor gives you the ok. FAIL MISSON. What bullshit.

The AI is stupid and slow. Sorry I know where to go and am there waiting by the time my shitty AI team mates tell me where to go. Couldn't be more obvious. And ememy will be standing there shooting at me and Connor or whoever would be standing there watching the whole thing 5 feet from the bad guy.

This game is half scripted events. Shooting the 6 guys in slow mo after you kick the door open in chapter 5 I think and having the barrels explode even when you aren't shooting at them. Exploding barrels up the ass in the this game. Died many times because I made the mistake of running into a barrel before slow ass Connor told me to. Ugh. Horrible game. Especially coming off the high of finishing Bulletstorm yesterday.

Tried multiplayer but gave up after 30 min of "Waiting for more players" Did no one buy it on PS3 or what? Glad to sell it back to Amazon ASAP.

Yeah the AI blows in this game. "Jacobs, I'll cover you, go out and lower that ramp" Okay go out. "Oh shit, Jacobs. I forgot to tell you 3 guys with rocket launchers are aiming at the spot you need to go to. Take the out, I'll cover you." Okay. Go to take them out while Connor camps in the garage with his face to the wall. Proceed to die 10 times while trying to lower that damn thing.

samus4ever said:
Yeah the AI blows in this game. "Jacobs, I'll cover you, go out and lower that ramp" Okay go out. "Oh shit, Jacobs. I forgot to tell you 3 guys with rocket launchers are aiming at the spot you need to go to. Take the out, I'll cover you." Okay. Go to take them out while Connor camps in the garage with his face to the wall. Proceed to die 10 times while trying to lower that damn thing.

Yeah - omniscient enemy a.i. and braindead friendly a.i. is complete bullshit. The campaign seems to be an unentertaining chore so far. This game should have been a budget download MP only game like Blacklight.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Far out this is some horrible net code.

Every single game over half the people are red bar, myself included.

Makoto

Keyser Soze said:
made Desert Combat (the Battlefield 1942 mod) too.

It still boggles my mind that despite the fact that they have members from one of the most populars mods ever, they opted to use another for studio for the PC version.

Edit: Let me also add that the default mouse settings in this game are ass. If it weren't for the fact that we could tweak the config, I would not have even bothered finishing the singleplayer. Honestly, it's like PC developers should be required to play a Valve or Call of Duty and be told, "MAKE YOUR GAME CONTROL AS GOOD AS THOSE GAMES."

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
gibon3z said:
You guys have to try this make a class with the following

- Parrot drone
- Crater to Order
- Drone Be GONE!
- Penny Pincher
- Ghost

Ok now do the following during a match. Fly high spot 3 or 4 enemies, then find a prone person using a uav, or a sniper. Lower the parrot drone right next to his face and continue to spot him generating points, eventually a teamate of his will start to shoot at you, when he finally kills the drone BOOM kill on the enemy drone operator or sniper.

30 bp x however many times you spotted him + 130 bp

It's a cheap but hilarious tactic.

I have been doing this all night, so much fun. Mark a bunch of people then when your drone is almost dead park it by a sniper and they will shoot it and blow them up.

I took out 3 guys taking a point with one drone explosion.

How is the difficulty in the SP campaign? Let's say I just want to blow through it to see everything and don't necessarily want to die more than a couple times or get frustrated.

Neuromancer said:
How is the difficulty in the SP campaign? Let's say I just want to blow through it to see everything and don't necessarily want to die more than a couple times or get frustrated.

You'll die more than a couple of times at some points. The enemies can see and shoot everything.

Fox Mulder

Neuromancer said:

just play it on easy or normal then. It's pretty cheap and awful on anything higher.

LowParry

samus4ever said:
Well one can only hope they tested the server load properly.

I know right? I gave Homefront another chance tonight. Some of it goes well, but if I have to spend nearly 30 minutes just to find a room that gives me yellow bars instead of the red, forget about it. My friend loves the game and that really is my only incentive of keeping it so that we can play the MP.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
CcrooK said:
I know right? I gave Homefront another chance tonight. Some of it goes well, but if I have to spend nearly 30 minutes just to find a room that gives me yellow bars instead of the red, forget about it. My friend loves the game and that really is my only incentive of keeping it so that we can play the MP.

Should have gone with the PC version to help balance out it's inverse server load problem...

homefront2011-03-1902-2jcp.jpg

After playing the MP mode for a good 5 hours today I can say that the mode is really good if you persevere. I actually prefer it to COD Black Ops and to a certain extent Bad Company 2 but nowhere near Halo Reach.

However, the design problem of perks and loadouts remains. I'd much rather they keep everyone at essentially the same level and what you choose is just balanced against what other people choose. Going through and earning shit is really not all that fun especially when you continually get pounded by people with all the gear.

Forsete

Plasma said:
Got the game today but haven't played it yet, this install is taking ages.

It installed 5gb of the game from the disc and now its downloading 4gb.

Same thing here.. Anti-piracy trick I believe.
A pretty shitty thing to do to those with shitty connections.

Forsete said:
Same thing here.. Anti-piracy trick I believe.
A pretty shitty thing to do to those with shitty connections.

Doubtful, it has been out on the usual channels for a week.
Though why anyone would want to pirate this game to play the awful singleplayer is beyond me.

Achamian

uk peeps complaining about this not being on steam. buy from d2d, get metro 2033 free, use codes on steam. simples. love the mp in this. unfortunately i stink at it. closest a mp has come to the glory of etqw for me. :)

Dabanton

Played a few hours of this now and while the SP is a bit too scripted for my tastes

The multi is superb. Love the size of the maps. Lots of nice areas for confrontation lots going on and i never feel cheated when i get killed like a lot of other MP,it's fair.

Weapons feel good and the stuff like drones are great, Helicopters can be dealt with and they don't completely dominate proceedings like in certain other games (hello BC2) there is a good groundwork for an awesome MP community for this once the people get up to speed.

Looks like this will be my chosen online FPS game until BF3 shows me what it's coming with.

Plasma

Banned
Finished the SP last night, took me about 4 hours to complete the game.

Now I don't mind short campaigns like Call of Duty and MoH but this one just seems too short even by those standards.

Hoping the multiplayer makes up for it.

Psykotik

SumGamer said:
Anybody here play the game on PS3 with Region 3 disc? Wonder what's going on with the DLC? I can't redeem the Battle Code :(

yeah, i have the same problem too, R3 disc.

this is what they're saying though:

http://www.replayinteractive.com/newsd.php?nid=186

15th Mar 2011
Homefront NOTICE for PS3

Homefront NOTICE: Due to the recent earthquake in Japan and the subsequent damage to the local infrastructure, please be informed that the Homefront PS3 online unlock codes may currently be unable to be activated on PSN. SCE (Sony) Asia is putting all efforts to resolve the situation. Should you be facing the above problem with your Homefront PS3, we hope for your patience and understanding of the current situation facing Japan while we wait for SCE Asia.Thank you.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Did act 1 today, can see why people say it's mediocre. Gunplay feels weird, sluggish and not all that satisfying so far. Enemies seem stupid which is a shame. Scripted encounters and events don't seem that entertaining.

I'm kinda glad it's only 4 hours or so so I can just rush through it. I don't see why anyone would want a really long campaign in these kinda games.

Not tried multi yet but with this gunplay I'm not sure if I will get into it. Will try it til crysis comes out then it's probably getting swapped.

It's left me feeling rather bored and almost demoralised. I've sat here for a good 10 minutes after switching off wondering if I'm just fed up of shooter genre and if I shouldn't just move onto other games!

cackhyena

The people in helicopters, raining down missile after missile, strafing to their hearts content is what will cause me to stop playing this. It's so broken. I played 3 matches in a row where that's all the other team had to do. There were 2 and sometimes 3 in the air for the duration of the third leg of a round just going to town.

No one on the team thought to maybe give the helis a finite amount of missiles? At least in BC2, the controls are hard enough to master, and realistic enough to maneuver, speed wise, that a well placed shot can take out the driver. Ugh.

cackhyena said:
The people in helicopters, raining down missile after missile, strafing to their hearts content is what will cause me to stop playing this. It's so broken. I played 3 matches in a row where that's all the other team had to do. There were 2 and sometimes 3 in the air for the duration of the third leg of a round just going to town.

No one on the team thought to maybe give the helis a finite amount of missiles? At least in BC2, the controls are hard enough to master, and realistic enough to maneuver, speed wise, that a well placed shot can take out the driver. Ugh.
One of the loading tips said that LMG's are effective against helicopters, not as good as rockets but still it makes them move out of the way.

I want to unlock the prox rockets to see if I can actually hit them, every time I have tried to shoot one out of the sky with a rocket launcher I miss so I spawn in a light tank or something and mess them up.

In single player is anyone else finding that they're running out of ammo all the time?

Am I doing something wrong? It seems I just get the ammo that I'm given at the start of each mission and have to eek it out to defeat hundreds of bad guys, and rarely do you get a moment to gather more?

I'm enjoy the game well enough, and I've been capturing as many screenshots as I can of various parts of the game. Planning to share some here soon. The PC version can look SO good, but also SO SO bad. I will show examples of both :p

It really feels like another rushed BS PC port job and I'm considering returning it. I have a 5970 and I am hardly getting over 30fps. Even if I reduce the res and AA numbers it doesn't make a difference. Just BAD programming.

The story is pretty cool. Kind of emotional. But it is hitting home on the shooter fatigue that I'm having quite hard. God I can't wait for BF3. The scenes where you have to find and shoot like 20 or 30 koreans by yourself, while constantly getting shot and dying many many times.. it's just not really fun, but I desire to finish it.

Shipping unfinished games is just wrong. It's like buying a broken microwave. You are legitimately expected to be able to return the game to the microwave company, or where you purchased it from if it's crap.

But with games? I don't know of many places that accept returns because 'it's a crap game'... Even if it's not 'physically' broken, if the software isn't built up to scratch, refunds should be feasible IMO.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Wow the single player game was really, really short. The game was pretty average, bland and not all that engaging really.

Not digging the MP much yet. I'll give it another try before I switch over to crysis 2.

SumGamer

cackhyena said:

They need to add better Anti-aircraft equipment to counter those things. Maybe heat seeking missile that's hard to dodge.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
CcrooK said:
Hey guys, I hear Crysis 2 comes out next week.
Don't I know it! My copy of HF sold on Amazon yesterday and that money went to a Crysis 2 preorder. Not to mention we just got $5 extra credit from Amazon for HF. Awesome. The game keeps on giving, even in its afterlife.

Too much nonsense on HF. They should have spent time polishing the game and server load instead of releasing balloons.

I just had a thought on what might help balance out snipers, instead of giving them 130BP per kill from range drop it to 90BP from sniper rifles since they kill so easily in this game, also I find the bolt action rifle is terrible, still takes 2 hits to kill and is really slow to reload, might as well stick with the first sniper with a 10 bullet clip and auto fire...

Sethos

Banned
Love this game, while it does have some minor issues here and there, it works. Although I can't see myself playing for very long unless they add some proper tactical modes, modes without respawn etc. these OMGOMG PEW PEW RESPAWN RUSH GO ADHD modes gives me a headache - I feel like that with every game though, this isn't just Homefront.

Last night was pretty much the last straw for the five or so people I've been trying to play with regularly. Dedicated servers are down or you just can't connect to them. They tell you to do the 16player peer to peer mode but the connection is so terrible every round everyone is lagging all over the damn place besides the host. It seems they have their entire netcode built around the idea of dedicated servers, but they obviously didn't put enough up and knew it. Last second throw in peer to peer without testing and enjoy the lagfest.

Joining as a party never works. At best you get one or two other people in with you while the rest have to back out to the menu and view the friend's list and join manually hoping the server hasn't filled up in that time frame.
We literally spent more time in the lobby searching for games/trying to get everyone into the same match then we did playing over the course of the night. Pretty damn absurd. There's nothing quite like bugs that require you to completely boot out of the game to fix them as well if you want to continue searching for servers(see the Failed to spawn beacon bug and the playlists not even loading when clicking Ranked Match).

I'm guessing most people enjoying the multiplayer are doing so by themselves. They few times I was able to get into a dedicated server I was alone. Granted, when I did it was smooth, but if dedicated servers were lagging that would be pretty horrible. I didn't buy this game to play online by myself however. This is the first 'major release' that I have seen that has done such a horrible job at party match making. Blacklight Tango Down worked better than this shit.

smik

Wow this game is actually really great :p

Picked this up today and its totally surprised me how deep and fun the online experience is, well worth the purchase. the Battle Points systems
works alot better then all other shooters and is really the next step up in how to unlock ability's & streaks should be done in MP FPS's.

The Maps are well thought-out and the gunplay is what will keep you coming back, its fast responsive and feels spot on. but i have to be
honest HF's graphics aren't the best and is the definitely HF's low point, lack of guns and map variety is a
downer hopefully DLC can come into affect with more of both.

anyways thought id share for those who are sitting on the fence, this game is F.U.N. FUN! dont be discouraged

also heres some great news :p

Australian Servers Inbound

Due to unprecedented demand, we will be doubling the Multiplayer Dedicated Server capacity in Australia within a day, & more to come next week!

Our ‘Skirmish’ playlists are capped at lower player counts (16 max) not requiring a dedicated server, the performance will be similar to what you’d expect from any FPS with a solid peer-to-peer infrastructure. You will certainly be able to get a taste of the full Homefront experience, until our dedicated server capacity is scaled to support demand. So, please give ‘Skirmish’ a try while we install additional dedicated server hardware, right on Australian soil.

We want to stress that Homefront is one of very few FPS games providing dedicated server support on consoles. The infrastructure and networking code required to support this is much more complex and demanding than you see in most titles. The return is epic large-scale warfare on huge maps, with more players & a level pitch for all – something we believe is critical for fair, balanced online FPS gameplay.

Every game that goes the extra mile to provide dedicated servers faces additional growing pains in the early going as the kinks are ironed out, but please bear with us as we address these – the results will be worth it!

Once again, we apologize for any disruption to your gaming, and thank you for your patience and support.

angelfly

Diablohead said:
I just had a thought on what might help balance out snipers, instead of giving them 130BP per kill from range drop it to 90BP from sniper rifles since they kill so easily in this game, also I find the bolt action rifle is terrible, still takes 2 hits to kill and is really slow to reload, might as well stick with the first sniper with a 10 bullet clip and auto fire...
I guess they figure the sight is too good so they had to balance it out with slower reload and fire rate.

Fox Mulder

ColonialRaptor said:
In single player is anyone else finding that they're running out of ammo all the time?

Am I doing something wrong? It seems I just get the ammo that I'm given at the start of each mission and have to eek it out to defeat hundreds of bad guys, and rarely do you get a moment to gather more?

just pick up the guns dropped by enemies. The game provides you with whatever weapons it needs for a particular event, so you never have to worry about ammo at all. Not really realistic for a resistance force, but whatever.

Mikey Jr.

ColonialRaptor said:

The problem is that the game separates guns based on attachments which is moronic, but whatever.

Like, if you have an m16 with no scope, you cant pick up ammo from an m16 with a red dot sight, same with acog, silencer, etc.

Game treats them all like completely different guns. So you have to find a gun which is EXACTLY like the gun you want ammo for.

Finally finished the single player, I like it but the ending was a bit open, I expected to see something else but then the credits came up. I know it's had a lot of stick but I played it start to end in two sittings on the hardest settings to make the most out of it.

Not sure why people are complaining about the helicopters, AT drones take them out extremely easily, and for cheap too...

If you didn't save bp for an at drone or rocket launcher (and your entire team is batshit retarded) then that's not the games' fault now is it.
Noone is making you spend ALL your points as soon as you get them.

I'm done. I can't take it anymore. The amount of prone camping is unbelievable. Getting shot from across the map 5 seconds after spawning by a prone asshole hiding behind a rock or whatever impossible cover to see from that far just turns me off so much. The fact that you die almost instantly amplifies it all. Oh and they don't even have to be snipers. You can prone and pick off people across the map with ARs due to no recoil. OH and I've tried using the Parrot several times and each time it's gotten shot down within 10 seconds, even at high altitude. People are learning to target them now. I just can't play this type of game. Kudos to you if you're skilled enough to do well, but my play style is the complete opposite of what this game caters to, which is camping and proning like a jackass.

Klocker

it's official.... Ground control is more fun than BC2 Conquest mode and maybe even Rush.

when people are using the proper counters to keep shit in check, the game is amazing.

Top Bottom