• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Into

I thought it was decent, but that tent scene makes it a worthwhile viewing. Very impressive for this low budget film. Was incredibly creepy with surround sound also and the suspense is great during it.

But
it goes downhill after that I found. Ending was a bit generic and poor as you said but then again, how else can these "found film" horror movies end?

One big gripe I had with it; right after the ending, that loud, obnoxious end credits music nearly gave me a heart attack when it came blaring on and took me right out of the movie. It would have much better, and keeping in tone with the creepy nature of the film, to let us listen to what was happening in the background after the ending, with the sound of
the river and woman trying to escape

Yeah the tent scene is the highlight, its so well done and the actors just nail it. I agree about the ending, like
i said and like you mentioned its as if they cannot end in any other way than the Blair Witch "camera-drops-to-the-ground noise happens and thats it.

MV5BMTAxMDAxODg5ODReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDI5ODYxODI@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

The House of the Devil

This is easily my favorite horror movie since The Descent came out. Its from 2009 but its filmed and presented as a late 70s, early 80s film, the clothes, even the font of the letters of the title. Its incredibly well done and builds tension to a fever pitch.

A girl takes a job in a house to babysit, saying more would ruin it.

MV5BMTMxODc4MDA1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTI3MTUyNg@@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Resurrect Dead

An urban mystery unfurls as one man pieces together the surreal meaning of hundreds of cryptic tiled messages that have been appearing in city streets across the U.S. and South America.

I put it here because i found it creepy at times, the message that appears is pretty strange about the movie 2001, and something about resurrecting dead people. It has no real scares since its a documentary, but it is creepy throughout and just overall strange. 2-3 guys who have been obsessed with the messages try to figure out just who is doing them and why. Really worth a watch

The Imposter

A documentary centered on a young Frenchman who claims to a grieving Texas family that he is their 16-year-old son who has been missing for 3 years.

Another creepy documentary, if not creepier, it even has footage of the family meeting the guy at the airport. The story is so bizarre and just when you think its bizarre enough just gets even more weird and creepy. I wont spoil it, but the documentary takes you places you would not not believe.

It is really heart pounding, and leaves you with your mouth wide open at the end. Highly recommend this film. This in particular scared me more than most horror films today.

SaintZ

Never Sleep Again

Not a feature film but rather a documentary about the Nightmare on Elm Street. This is highly enjoyable even for non hardcore fans, i only really liked the original, New Nightmare and maybe Nightmare 3. But the documentary is great throughout, its more critical than your average documentary about films would be, its not just several hours of wanking off the series and telling you how each movies is special an amazing. They do actually get people to say "say it like is!" and even admit that Nightmare 2 had many gay overtones, the whole Nightmare 2 is hilarious, the interviews and reaction to the movie today by people who made it is great.

If you like any sort of horror films or just films in general, this is must-see material, its very long and fun. And might make people understand why some of these long winded series ended up sucking the more they went on (Halloween, Friday, Nightmare)

Recommend all 3 for those of you who are bored. And for bumping the thread!
I remember watching this a while back and it was pretty amazing. It was so great to see most of the cast and I can't believe how good Lisa Wilcox looks. She looks almost the same!

In other news, the trailer for Annabelle has been released.

I never watched The Conjuring but this one looks more interesting to me.

Into

Yeah Never Sleeps Again is so far the best horror documentary ive ever seen, i believe its independently produced which is why they can be more critical of the films

How many people here are familiar with The Vanishing?

The Vanishing (Spoorloos)

Its one of the more underrated classics, its underrated because it is in dutch and people freak out because subtitles cause them migraines or something.

Its a super simple story of a dutch couple going on a vacation and stopping at a gas station, the woman disappears and the man is left searching for her.

The ending is geniunly terrifying, i had a lump in my throat watching it. The only ending to a horror movie i found as impactful is Blair Witch, it really packs a punch.

Yeah Never Sleeps Again is so far the best horror documentary ive ever seen, i believe its independently produced which is why they can be more critical of the films

How many people here are familiar with The Vanishing?

The Vanishing (Spoorloos)

Its one of the more underrated classics, its underrated because it is in dutch and people freak out because subtitles cause them migraines or something.

Its a super simple story of a dutch couple going on a vacation and stopping at a gas station, the woman disappears and the man is left searching for her.

The ending is geniunly terrifying, i had a lump in my throat watching it. The only ending to a horror movie i found as impactful is Blair Witch, it really packs a punch.

I fucking LOVE The Vanishing (original, not the terrible remake). Watched it with my dad about 15 years ago and I will never forget that ending. Just an amazing film from start to finish.

Looking to watch a horror flick on Netflix tonight. Any recommendations? Preferably something from the last fifteen years.

Just looking over the horror section, any of these would be a good choice:

Cabin in the Woods
The Collection
V/H/S/2
American Mary
Stake Land
Black Death
Maniac
The Woman
Let the Right One In
Severed: Forest of the Dead
Fido
All Cheerleaders Die

I remember watching this a while back and it was pretty amazing. It was so great to see most of the cast and I can't believe how good Lisa Wilcox looks. She looks almost the same!

In other news, the trailer for Annabelle has been released.

I never watched The Conjuring but this one looks more interesting to me.

I think it's kinda funny how the "real" doll is actually a Raggedy Ann.

GAF I'm in need of a great haunted house movie, but since I've seen most of them I'll settle for an okay one. From US Netflix I've seen and liked Legend of Hell House, The Innocents, The Haunting (original), 1408, Grave Encounters, The Pact, The Shrine, The Innkeepers,100 Ghost Street (I know, but it was fun), The Awakening, Frighteners, Insidious, Absentia, and Haunting of Rosalind Leigh. I've seen A Haunting in CT 1+2, House of Voices, Amityville, Yellow Brick Road, Blair Witch, Insidious, House on Haunted Hill (both), and 13 Ghosts. I didn't care for Lovely Molly, Haunter, or Hollow. Help me find something of Netflix or Amazon prime, I have a vpn so any region of Netflix is fine by me.

Metalmarc

GAF I'm in need of a great haunted house movie, but since I've seen most of them I'll settle for an okay one. From US Netflix I've seen and liked Legend of Hell House, The Innocents, The Haunting (original), 1408, Grave Encounters, The Pact, The Shrine, The Innkeepers,100 Ghost Street (I know, but it was fun), The Awakening, Frighteners, Insidious, Absentia, and Haunting of Rosalind Leigh. I've seen A Haunting in CT 1+2, House of Voices, Amityville, Yellow Brick Road, Blair Witch, Insidious, House on Haunted Hill (both), and 13 Ghosts. I didn't care for Lovely Molly, Haunter, or Hollow. Help me find something of Netflix or Amazon prime, I have a vpn so any region of Netflix is fine by me.

You've seen poltergeist right? Dunno if its on netflix (edit looks like 1 & 2 are on the mexican netflix)

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

I don't have much to add to you list. Maybe check out The Beyond (1981) or the Sentinel (1977). Neither of those are on streaming that I can find, although maybe you can find them in other regions.

I don't have much to add to you list. Maybe check out The Beyond (1981) or the Sentinel (1977). Neither of those are on streaming that I can find, although maybe you can find them in other regions.

I've seen the The Beyond, I liked it but I'm not feeling Fulci as much as I did when I was in a gore mode. I've yet to The Sentinel, it's On Demand so I might check that out. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I have also seen The Entity and both Woman in Black films.

EDIT:

A genre that I know I'm missing a lot from are the British "Christmas" horror films (Warning to the Curious, ect.) but I can't find the streaming anywhere.

I Also know the ending to a movie that I've never seen. What was the horror movie with the haunted mansion where the main character is impaled by a fence?

Hilbert

I've seen the The Beyond, I liked it but I'm not feeling Fulci as much as I did when I was in a gore mode. I've yet to The Sentinel, it's On Demand so I might check that out. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I have also seen The Entity.

The Sentinel is just OK, but you obviously are a connoisseur, so maybe check it out.

Hilbert

I have also seen The Entity and both Woman in Black

I am reaching here, but maybe A Virgin Among The Living Dead, or Castle Freak.

JJD

I've heard good things about a spanish movie called "La Casa Muda" (The Silent House). But I doubt it's on netflix.

Ridley327

Gaf, did anyone watch The Conspiracy ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2330322/

I don't know how to feel about the premise, but it's gotten good reviews.

It's a pretty rad film. Do not read anything else about it, though, since this is a really easy film to spoil.

It's kind of what would happen if you switched the runtimes for the documentary and final footage bits from The Blair Witch Project, so there's a great deal more setup going into it, but the payoff is that much sweeter.

dokish

Banned
What is GAF opinion on The Tunnel? Is my favorite found footage movie ever. I recommend everyone to watch it. Finally done right.

Just looking over the horror section, any of these would be a good choice:

Cabin in the Woods
American Mary
Stake Land
Let the Right One In
Fido

These.
Also:

We Are What We Are
Here Comes the Devil
The Stuff (if it's still on there)
Troma stuff (toxic avenger, nuke em high, etc)

zeemumu

Finally got aroun to watching Sleepaway Camp last night. That GOAT ending!

It's the sound and the face that gets you. Unfortunately that series is downhill after the first. And I don't mean a gradual drop in quality, I mean exponential drops in quality to the point where one of them is made almost entirely out of clips from previous movies, and the logic is so loose that you can figure out the plot twist within minutes.

Chibrou

That was an horror week end for me.

Oculus : The best one of the bunch. Start as a classic haunted-object-hate-everybody but turn out to be a clever movie who makes a great uses of a double narration (the theme of the mirror is well used). I was pleased by the child actors and Amy Pond was solid too.

Afflicted : Found footage that reminded me of chronicle. The actions scenes were really exiting. the last part of the movie fall a bit flat, Like it seems they didn't know what to do with the characters.

Rigor mortis : That was pretty. At first I was afraid that it was one of this foreign movies that i would not get but I found that the movie did a great job of explaining it self (kinda). There still is many wtf things, but after reading on it, it's because i don't have the chinese legends and myths background (plus, it's a good thing to be aware of the background of the movie, it's supposed to be an homage at a kind of Chinese movies).

Amnesia : the first movie of the oculus director. Definitily on a budget and a slow burner. It deals with loss and creepy thing in a tunnel. I think I liked it.

Sighseers : Not an horror movie, more like a dark comedy road trip. After the movie, we were a bit shameful to have liked it, it's mean and nihilist but funny (and strangely, the end hit me hard).

Mama : Feral children, Jamie lanister, jessica chastain in a punk goth outfit, a creepy and elusive supernatural character, my dear Spanish friends behind the camera and the script, that was good until the few last scenes where it loses everything horrory or creepy about it and became, well, something else that I didn't quite enjoyed.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I've been off a horror kick for a little bit, but came across this shirt in the window of a video rental shop and had to buy it!

The store owner makes these custom. lost Weekend Video in SF. Great rental shop and dope shirts.

The first, by far. The second is more of a fantasy movie. It's kind of interesting because it's so bizarre, but it doesn't have near the amount if charm of the original.

Agreed completely. The first is the right balance of horror and comedy, the second is a fucking comedy. The third isn't even really a "House" movie, but is decent. The 4th is also pretty bad with a few great/terrible scenes.

I enjoyed the 2nd house in a ways more, its a fun movie, it kinda isn't horror but still enjoyed it being more like a fantasy adventure.

3rd House (The Horror Show) was just bad outside of one funny scene :p

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Still on a high of seeing The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on the big screen and seeing Tobe Hooper in real-life. One of the highlights of my life literally. A girl got so scared during the film, she puked and had to be ambulanced out.

And despite having seen TCM a million times...It was incredibly harrowing on a cinema screen with the sound turned up. Hooper is a class act too. What a legend.

Eanan

Has anyone seen oculous yet? Wondered if its any good.

I thought it started a bit poor, not too interesting and exciting, but got better for the second third, but then went a bit naff in the final third.

Overall, a fitting "meh" for the film and instantly forgotten .

Horror-Gaf, im in need of assistance, i'm slowly trying to get my fiancee accustomed to horror films, and i need some suggestions for stuff that she would handle well, she doesn't handle horror very well, i talked her into the Evil Dead remake and she's still mad at me for it (completely worth it though ahahah) just more easy to watch stuff that wont scar her too bad, that way i can get her into the genre slowly haha

Horror-Gaf, im in need of assistance, i'm slowly trying to get my fiancee accustomed to horror films, and i need some suggestions for stuff that she would handle well, she doesn't handle horror very well, i talked her into the Evil Dead remake and she's still mad at me for it (completely worth it though ahahah) just more easy to watch stuff that wont scar her too bad, that way i can get her into the genre slowly haha

You're Next might be a good film to ease her in. It's intense without being gross and has a very strong female lead.

Or maybe some more recent horror comedies like Shaun of the Dead.

You're Next might be a good film to ease her in. It's intense without being gross and has a very strong female lead.

Or maybe some more recent horror comedies like Shaun of the Dead.

I actually didn't even think of "Your Next" that's a good one, ill have to see how she feels about it, ill have to look around and get a list going!

Cabin In The Woods (horror-comedy is usually easy to stomach)
Scream
Poltergeist
Child's Play (Anything with a silly villain really)
The Strangers (?) (I find home invasion films pretty tame)

Maybe:
Friday the 13th
28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead

I dunno, it's hard to pick "not scary" films since I don't get scared. You should just show her the scariest movie you can think of and then be like, "If you can watch this, you can sit through anything."

Quality, screw how scary it is list:

The Thing
Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Reanimator
Possession (that's horror, right)
Dead Alive (Peter Jackson)

Top Bottom