• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

kinggroin

Banned
Friends and I want to see a movie tonight and we're trying to decide between Blaire Witch or Don't Breathe.

Don't Breathe seems to have better reviews, but I figured I'd see what GAF has to say.

Don't Breathe.

Blair Witch is a let-down of a sequel that ironically trips over all the tropes that were initially a novel subversion in the first film. It'll only make you cry, and honestly, if that's the result at least let it be profound sadness and watch "Through a Glass Darkly" instead.

I'm exaggerating about Blair Witch, but Don't Breathe is the better choice.

edit: Always late.

Edit: Not really horror, but new Sci-Fi Jennifer Lawrence flick with Chris P
https://youtu.be/7BWWWQzTpNU

acohrs

Don't breathe by far. That and green room have been my favs this year for thriller/horror. Conjuring third.

I enjoyed the Conjuring but there was a tv series in the last year in the UK called the Enfield Haunting with Timothy Spall and Matthew Mcfayden, which was done a lot better. After seeing that, the Conjuring 2 was just a little bit too silly and jump scare-y for me. I still enjoyed it, but not as much as the Enfield Haunting. If you enjoyed the Conjuring 2, I fully recommend watching
streaming online
the Enfield Haunting.

Also, no English terraced house like the one in the film has a basement as fecking big as it was in the film, so when they went into the huge flooded basement, I just started laughing as that scene just screamed fake hollywood scare tactic

Eanan

Don't breathe, while good, it's gimmick gets stale half way through, and re treads over similar set pieces in the film a few times.

It's decent but nothing great. They was the general consensus with the crowd I was withz average movie with a nice gimmick and some unique, tense moments.

The false finishes also were too common.

Darkangel

So I had a really good time watching Don't Breathe last night. It's a solid movie that deserves props for having some originality.

Audience went nuts during the turkey baster scene lol.

Blair Witch creeped the fuck out of me. And I saw matinee of it today, but I was the only one in the theater which made the viewing even creepier for me.

I aint gun sleep tonight

Watched The Guest for the first time.

I feel like I missed something because while I enjoyed some of the subversions, the movie didn't hang together as well as I'd hoped. I pin some of the blame on Maika Monroe. I loved her in It Follows, but there's a certain level of . . . distance(?) in her perfomance that doesn't work for me in The Guest. The kid who played her brother was great though.

I also wished the final set pieces were a bit more over the top, but I guess that all comes down to the budget, so I'm trying not to be too hard on that.

Dan Stevens was incredible throughout. I feel like the movie wouldn't have worked without him.

drotahorror

Yeah the ending could have been a lot sweeter with a bigger budget thats for sure.

Bought Green Room today since I see a lot recs in this thread for it.

I'm not surprised at some of the recent negative views towards The Blair Witch. It looked really derivative from the trailer. Still looking forward to it though.

My post is pretty schizo I just noticed.

lordxar

I thought the first Blair Witch sucked. On a second viewing recently that opinion hasn't changed. The shaky cam and snot bubbling idiots behind it have not improved. So I have zero hope on this sequel. I did like part 2 for whatever reason and I loved the way the first came out. The documentary and everything they did leading up to the original was awesome. The movie just blew...

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah the ending could have been a lot sweeter with a bigger budget thats for sure.

Bought Green Room today since I see a lot recs in this thread for it.

I'm not surprised at some of the recent negative views towards The Blair Witch. It looked really derivative from the trailer. Still looking forward to it though.

My post is pretty schizo I just noticed.

If you end up liking Green Room, I highly recommend checking out the director's other flick Blue Ruin.

Edit: forgot to mention, I FINALLY saw Through a Glass Darkly. You want to talk about horror? Mental illness is no joke man.

Gonna watch Gozu now.

I thought the first Blair Witch sucked. On a second viewing recently that opinion hasn't changed. The shaky cam and snot bubbling idiots behind it have not improved. So I have zero hope on this sequel. I did like part 2 for whatever reason and I loved the way the first came out. The documentary and everything they did leading up to the original was awesome. The movie just blew...

The Blair Witch Project has to be one of if not the most decisive horror film released. For me, it's in my personal horror film canon where it's one of the landmark releases in the genre, similar to The Exorcist and Halloween. My appreciation for it only grows on rewatches, and it's one of those films where all of the stars aligned for me. Ironically, The Witch is getting similar treatment when it comes to opinions. You don't really see many people that thought it was just ok, you either love it or you hate it.

acohrs

So I had a really good time watching Don't Breathe last night. It's a solid movie that deserves props for having some originality.

Audience went nuts during the turkey baster scene lol.

Yeah it is a horror that does away with jumps for good old fashion suspense and creepy atmos.

That scene was so fucked up
especially when she makes him drink it! Blargh!!!

lordxar

The Blair Witch Project has to be one of if not the most decisive horror film released. For me, it's in my personal horror film canon where it's one of the landmark releases in the genre, similar to The Exorcist and Halloween. My appreciation for it only grows on rewatches, and it's one of those films where all of the stars aligned for me. Ironically, The Witch is getting similar treatment when it comes to opinions. You don't really see many people that thought it was just ok, you either love it or you hate it.

I wouldn't put BW in with the Exorcist. That's like 2001 or Citizen Kane level. I'd give it a Friday the 13th level though. :) it is influential there's no denying that but its not stellar filmmaking.

Actually by that measurement I would put the Witch up with the Exorcist because it is a damn well made movie...it's just boring as shit. Which I do plan on rewatching it on Halloween night mostly because I blind bought the bluray but also because I'm better prepared to watch the film instead of grab for my pillow. So my opinion of it might go up.

I guess aside from the shaky cam my biggest beef with BW is the annoying douches that star in it don't get horribly mangled on screen. At least in most other horror flicks, good or bad, you get to see the ones you can't stand be killed in a cool way. Here there's a lot of screaming but not much going on besides tents shaking angrily or rock piles that snuck up when the camera wasn't looking.

Monocle

I suspect the main reason The Witch is divisive is a big portion of the audience expected a modern horror movie and got something much more challenging and subtle. Plus, its exceptional craft, understated character building, and fine details that reinforce the plight of the family are bound to be lost on some viewers.

Frankly, some people are lazy viewers and shallow thinkers. That's not true of everyone who doesn't appreciate The Witch, but based on a number of obtuse posts I've seen, the movie has obviously flown over some heads.

You leave the zone of unchallengeable opinion when you start claiming that an objectively well made movie is bad just because it wasn't what you wanted.

lordxar

I suspect the main reason The Witch is divisive is a big portion of the audience found it slow paced and boring where others loved the plodding doom.

Frankly, some people defend this like they created it, funded it, or have some other ownership.

You leave the zone of unchallengeable opinion when you start battering those with a different opinion.

Ftfy

Sure it's well made and I definitely enjoyed the discussions on camera framing and religious aspects in the other thread but at some point everyone that defends this so strongly needs to let the film stand on its own. Calling people obtuse and battering them for having a negative opinion won't get you far in changing their opinion...

acohrs

I enjoyed the Witch, really interesting and attention-grabbing. I can believe it wasn't for everybody, which is a pity but understandable. I just hope that we get more horror films like it though

imBask

Banned
I thought I was the only person left on earth who didn't like The Witch

I had to fight to stay awake the whole time, I was bored to death

acohrs

Was it the tone or pace of the film? Boring story? Just trying to understand what others saw that i missed

imBask

Banned
Was it the tone or pace of the film? Boring story? Just trying to understand what others saw that i missed

Tone and setting I think. And the tension, everyone keeps praising the tension in that movie and I couldn't feel it at all, I didn't feel scared, I didn't feel unconfortable...

I don't know, i'm not a fan of ghosty possessiony witchy stuff bercause I can't relate to any of it, so that was just another one of those to me

drotahorror

One of the most boring horror movies I've seen in a while. Not as bad as A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night though. Great atmosphere in both, acting, everything. Just not fun or entertaining at all.

My cousin on the other hand...it was the first horror movie he's ever seen. He loved it.

kinggroin

Banned
One of the most boring horror movies I've seen in a while. Not as bad as A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night though. Great atmosphere in both, acting, everything. Just not fun or entertaining at all.

My cousin on the other hand...it was the first horror movie he's ever seen. He loved it.

What are some of your favorite films in the genre?

What elements make a horror movie entertaining for you? And I don't really think The Witch was going for fun

Ridley327

The new restoration for Phantasm finally has a release date on Blu-ray: December 6.

I'm not the biggest JJ Abrams fan out there, but I have to give him props for being so passionate on helping Coscarelli out on restoring the film to its former glory.

The Witch was a solid 7 for me. Worth watching for the great acting, great atmosphere, great dialog. Biggest issues were the 'eh' ending and cliche witch design (I got a couple of good laughs out of the witch scenes.)
Baby getting turned into jelly
was probably the peak in terms of [EDIT: not scares, but creepy factor] IMO.

The new restoration for Phantasm finally has a release date on Blu-ray: December 6.

I'm not the biggest JJ Abrams fan out there, but I have to give him props for being so passionate on helping Coscarelli out on restoring the film to its former glory.

Shame about that release date though. December? Come on, guys!

Any word on the boxset? Hopefully the digital versions are still set for October.

Fox Mulder

I suspect the main reason The Witch is divisive is a big portion of the audience expected a modern horror movie and got something much more challenging and subtle. Plus, its exceptional craft, understated character building, and fine details that reinforce the plight of the family are bound to be lost on some viewers.

Frankly, some people are lazy viewers and shallow thinkers. That's not true of everyone who doesn't appreciate The Witch, but based on a number of obtuse posts I've seen, the movie has obviously flown over some heads.

You leave the zone of unchallengeable opinion when you start claiming that an objectively well made movie is bad just because it wasn't what you wanted.

I really like the movie, but it doesn't have to be for everyone. I'm not going to look down on people that aren't into it for things like the setting, pace, or even the old English dialogue.

drotahorror

What are some of your favorite films in the genre?

in no particular order

Halloween '78
TCM 2
Black Christmas '74
Haute Tension
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2013
Planet Terror
Excision
The Return of the Living Dead

Just some that I'm thinking of. There's plenty others that I love.

What elements make a horror movie entertaining for you? And I don't really think The Witch was going for fun

I wanted to elaborate a bit but I didn't. Anything can make a horror flick entertaining. From effects, to pacing, to suspense, to gore. The Witch wasn't paced well at all. It made for a boring ride. I guess I have a different meaning to entertainment/fun when it comes to horror movies. I don't mean having a good time and shootin the shit with my bros. I just mean something that keeps me watching and enjoying it.

I really like the movie, but it doesn't have to be for everyone. I'm not going to look down on people that aren't into it for things like the setting, pace, or even the old English dialogue.

Setting, dialogue, acting, characters, = great in The Witch. Pacing killed the movie for me. Pacing is one of the most important aspects in movies for me.

acohrs

in no particular order

Halloween '78
TCM 2
Black Christmas '74
Haute Tension
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2013
Planet Terror
Excision
The Return of the Living Dead

Just some that I'm thinking of. There's plenty others that I love.

I wanted to elaborate a bit but I didn't. Anything can make a horror flick entertaining. From effects, to pacing, to suspense, to gore. The Witch wasn't paced well at all. It made for a boring ride. I guess I have a different meaning to entertainment/fun when it comes to horror movies. I don't mean having a good time and shootin the shit with my bros. I just mean something that keeps me watching and enjoying it.

Setting, dialogue, acting, characters, = great in The Witch. Pacing killed the movie for me. Pacing is one of the most important aspects in movies for me.

I can understand pacing killing enjoyment, watching The Night Of (not a horror) atm, and the pacing is atrocious to me. Kills all enjoyment

Senoculum

Cool thread. I hope I'm not late to the party but I saw Sadako vs Kayako (The Ring vs the Grudge) at TIFF this past weekend. It was awesome.

-It manages the exposition very well, so newcomers aren't lost
-some people might dislike it, but I love how they structured this film; it felt like a serial with one major plot taking centre stage (while keeping everything connected). It's basically a new Ringu movie with guest appearances. But it works! It works so well.
-When both Sadako and Kayako finally appear on screen together, the entire theatre ruptured in applause. Well deserved too.
-it's oddly hilarious at points (intentionally so)
-the performances are actually really good. Well done on the protagonists and side characters
-Major, major Junji Ito vibes, aka gothic and absurd and utterly disturbing.
-THE SOUND DESIGN ROCKS.
-the trailer is awful and doesn't actually show half of the scary scenes in the film. But maybe that's a good thing because I felt it was a treat to be subjected to a few side plots that could work as short films unto themselves.
-The ending is rock and roll

I didn't quite know what to make of it at first, but honestly, the entertainment factor is through the roof. 9/10.

acohrs

Cool thread. I hope I'm not late to the party but I saw Sadako vs Kayako (The Ring vs the Grudge) at TIFF this past weekend. It was awesome.

-some people might dislike it, but I love how they structured this film; it felt like a serial with one major plot taking centre stage (while keeping everything connected). It's basically a new Ringu movie with guest appearances. But it works! It works so well.
-When both Sadako and Kayako finally appear on screen together, the entire theatre ruptured in applause. Well deserved too.
-the performances are actually really good. Well done on the protagonists and side characters
-THE SOUND DESIGN ROCKS.
-the trailer is awful and doesn't actually show half of the scary scenes in the film. But maybe that's a good thing because I felt it was a treat to be subjected to a few side plots that could work as short films unto themselves.

I didn't quite know what to make of it at first, but honestly, the entertainment factor is through the roof. 9/10.

Glad to hear that it is enjoying, really looking forward to watching it. Just saw the trailer for Rings when i went to see Don't Breathe. It doesnt look very good imo... which is a shame as i love both horror franchises

Monocle

Ftfy

Sure it's well made and I definitely enjoyed the discussions on camera framing and religious aspects in the other thread but at some point everyone that defends this so strongly needs to let the film stand on its own. Calling people obtuse and battering them for having a negative opinion won't get you far in changing their opinion...
I don't care about changing people's opinions. I just get annoyed when posters make up things, or miss what's there, in the process of dismissing good movies.

I mean.. you're responding to two positions I never took. I don't believe the movie has to be for everyone, and I don't look down on people who disliked specific aspects of it for reasons that actually make sense.

It's one thing for a person to see a movie and find that it isn't for them. It's quite another to say the movie is bad, or stupid, or poorly made, when the real problem was their expectations or their inability to discern the substance and methods of the storytelling.

All I'm saying to The Witch's detractors is, don't hate on something if you obviously don't get it. It's possible to have a strong negative reaction to a movie without constructing a false narrative to justify yourself.

drotahorror

I don't care about changing people's opinions. I just get annoyed when posters make up things, or miss what's there, in the process of dismissing good movies.

I mean.. you're responding to two positions I never took. I don't believe the movie has to be for everyone, and I don't look down on people who disliked specific aspects of it for reasons that actually make sense.

It's one thing for a person to see a movie and find that it isn't for them. It's quite another to say the movie is bad, or stupid, or poorly made, when the real problem was their expectations or their inability to discern the substance and methods of the storytelling.

All I'm saying to The Witch's detractors is, don't hate on something if you obviously don't get it. It's possible to have a strong negative reaction to a movie without constructing a false narrative to justify yourself.

No one around here is saying The Witch is stupid or poorly made. Most people have said it's boring AKA the pace isn't for them. If something is boring, it isn't paced well or interesting enough to be something you can get in to.

You act like people that didn't think The Witch was the fuckin second coming are stupid or something. Sorry, I don't really care if the movie had some insane, deep meaning behind it. It wasn't for me. I bought the movie day 1 on blu ray, I was fairly hype for it. I went in with an open mind and looking to enjoy it. I didn't. Big deal.

strafer

-THE SOUND DESIGN ROCKS.

Damn, cant wait to see it.

MattyH

Had some google play credit and a rental voucher so decided to rent 31 enjoying it so far got a feeling it will be as hit and miss as lords of Salem though

Had some google play credit and a rental voucher so decided to rent 31 enjoying it so far got a feeling it will be as hit and miss as lords of Salem though

i dont have much hope for 31 but, damn, lords of salem was so good.
that was the best horror movie i saw in a theater in years. i loved that movie's vibe.

Watched OG Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I enjoyed it, liked the gritty look of it. Franklin was ridiculously annoying but that worked itself out

I wanted to get it out of the way before I strapped myself down for the marathon, so I watched The Conjuring 2 tonight.

I thought it was a definite improvement over the formula of the first. Not that the cast in the original was bad, but the characters in the Conjuring 2 were more engaging and likeable. Frances O'Connor's performance as the mother was really effective, and I'd totally watch a spin-off movie about Maurice Grosse instead of that stupid doll.

I was glad to see they toned down the LOUD MUSIC and didn't cue it up well before the jump scare visuals that ruined any chance of being startled in the original movie, so there were actually a few here that I didn't see coming. I felt the tone was more consistent as well, though it still had some overly silly parts, it was nowhere near as drastic as the goofy final act in the original.

The biggest offender was the ghost/demon/whatever designs.
The yellow contact lenses for the Bill Wilkins ghost, the hilariously cartoony Crooked Man and Nun Marilyn Manson...
they were laughable.

I still didn't find it scary watching it alone at home though, but I could see how it might work with the right audience in a theater. I do have some issues with the ending and overall logic of the film, but I've rambled on long enough. Back to my disgusting old haunted chair that probably should have been thrown out.

Top Bottom