• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Watched OG Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I enjoyed it, liked the gritty look of it. Franklin was ridiculously annoying but that worked itself out

That's definitely one of those movies where the low-fi nature of its production really worked to its advantage. The whole thing has a grimy, voyeuristic, almost snuff film quality to it that a more slickly-produced film would ruin.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that the actual violence is often shown in a pretty clinical, detached way, instead of giving us lovingly shot close-ups of every overly-elaborate gore effect.

That's definitely one of those movies where the low-fi nature of its production really worked to its advantage. The whole thing has a grimy, voyeuristic, almost snuff film quality to it that a more slickly-produced film would ruin.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that the actual violence is often shown in a pretty clinical, detached way, instead of giving us lovingly shot close-ups of every overly-elaborate gore effect.
Definitely. I appreciate the brevity of the kills too, I love a good drawn out kill but if you get hit in the head with a hammer there is no running/crawling, you drop

Also watched Excision last night. Not what I expected, obviously gross at times, but the end is nuts haha. Everything leading up to that is just like......"oh, ohhh noooo" Cool movie
From watching the trailer I didn't expect the weird psychedelic gore stuff to basically all be dreams, until the end. Obviously that's the point but yea

Excision was way better than the 6.1 imdb score would have had me believe. Just an incredible performance from the actor who played Pauline. Similarly enjoyed American Mary despite thinking I would probably hate it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I would love to see a Freddy vs Jason 2 but it wouldnt feature Robert Englund and so they dont even need to waste the money.

The first one was a nice send of for booth franchises...

drotahorror

Excision was way better than the 6.1 imdb score would have had me believe. Just an incredible performance from the actor who played Pauline.

One of my favorites. I let a couple friends watch it with me after I'd already seen it...they absolutely hated it. They couldn't believe that I thought they'd like it. The movie is hilarious too if you can relate to a couple of things.

One of my favorites. I let a couple friends watch it with me after I'd already seen it...they absolutely hated it. They couldn't believe that I thought they'd like it. The movie is hilarious too if you can relate to a couple of things.
Ray Wise was so good in his couple of scenes. Love that guy

"Save some for the rest of us!"

imBask

Banned
the second half of The Purge 2 kinda killed the movie. I'm so sick of hack directors covering up everything by making the movie way too dark

I WANT TO SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING ON THE SCREEN

kinggroin

Banned
Just finished watching 'The Chair' starring Rowdy Roddy Piper (perhaps his last feature film?) - it was pretty decent considering its small budget.

I'll write and share the review with y'all tomorrow.

Started watching the old Masters of Horror series. First episode I didn't like and couldn't finish, skipped to Imprint and boy that was some fucked up stuff, loved it.

Dont know what episode to watch next.

Started watching the old Masters of Horror series. First episode I didn't like and couldn't finish, skipped to Imprint and boy that was some fucked up stuff, loved it.

Deer Woman if you like An American Werewolf in London.

One of these days I gotta finish that series...

Corpsepyre

Banned

Watch Jennifer by Dario Argento and Cigarette Burns by John Carpenter. The former is massively fucked up while the latter is the best episode in the series for many reasons.

Cigarette Burns is the only other one that's actually good. Other than that they range from ok to laughably bad.

I'm usually not the type to post while watching a movie, but I had to take my dog out. I'm about ten minutes into The Conjuring 2 and liked the opening. The film feels expensive if that makes any sense, it's like a horror blockbuster. There were a few neat camera movements/tricks where Wan is showing his skills, he could take it easy on the Dutch angles though. The opening segment having to do with
Amityville
is a genius move on part of the filmmakers, and it included a couple of good jolts as well. Here's hoping the rest of the film keeps up, but man this is going to be a long movie! Hopefully I finish it before the sun comes up.

kinggroin

Banned
So who here is attending Spooky Empire this year?

My site's co-founder and I will be there looking to hob knob with Liam Regan (Banjo director) and Nicholas Vince (actor, plays Chatterer cenobite in Hellraiser). If they aren't too busy, maybe pull an interview.

Then, autographs and photos with WWE wrestler Paige and actress Zoe Bell. After that it's off to the film festival.

I HIGHLY recommend catching Chris McInroy's short film, Death Metal.his previous work pretty much dictates this will be a bloody good time.

glow

Banned

There are some good ones. Aside from what's already been recommended check out The Black Cat

Corpsepyre

Banned
Watched The Exorcist TV show. While not as terrible as I thought it would be, it was still such a lifeless, uninspired slog! Where was the terror? The dread?

Also, cheap as fuck scenes involving homages to the first film for no reason involving an attic and a camera shot that's eerily similar. The damn house looks the same as the original too. Ugh.

T.O.P

Banned
Not really horror but i just watched The Purge: Election year

I hope DeMonaco keeps making these, they are far from perfect (first one was awful) but goddamn if they aren't tons of fun

Third one also ramped it up a bit on the gore side and the brutality of certain kills wich i fuckin loved

Just wondering where they would go with a sequel, plot wise :/

glow

Banned
Watched The Exorcist TV show. While not as terrible as I thought it would be, it was still such a lifeless, uninspired slog! Where was the terror? The dread?

Also, cheap as fuck scenes involving homages to the first film for no reason involving an attic and a camera shot that's eerily similar. The damn house looks the same as the original too. Ugh.

I watched it last night. Bad, but ok as far as network tv shows go.

I have a theory already:
Geena Davis is grown up Regan from the movie and she exposed some crazy shit to her husband to make him an invalid like that

Whats your favorite Horrormovie theme?

Candyman or Halloween probably but there are so many classic themes...

kinggroin

Banned
Theme song I'm assuming

Ah ok. In that case, The Fly, Halloween, and above all Creepshow

edit: As for the talk earlier about Excision - I wasn't overly fond of it, but as a parent, the ending was chilling and seared itself into my mind for days.

---------------------------------

Anyone here ever see Nina Forever? My buddy reviewed and loved it. For anyone interested, Shudder has it streaming now/

Trailer
https://youtu.be/fNlcFY6dUl8

Saw Blair Witch today. I have to say I was really feeling cynical about horror after watching the previews and seeing at least two "horror" previews that I couldn't tell if were supposed to be horror or parody. One was some ouiji board movie. I don't remember what the other one was. Not Annabelle 2, that's not exciting but the trailer wasn't laughable.

Saw Blair Witch today. I have to say I was really feeling cynical about horror after watching the previews and seeing at least two "horror" previews that I couldn't tell if were supposed to be horror or parody. One was some ouiji board movie. I don't remember what the other one was. Not Annabelle 2, that's not exciting but the trailer wasn't laughable.
That damn Ouija movie. That looks like some direct-to-DVD tier crap that somehow is getting a theatrical release, a prequel to a movie with a 7% on Rotten Tomatoes

So yeah, don't let that color your mindset. I can't not laugh when I see that trailer

I just saw JeruZalem on Netflix. It's as bad as I thought it would be. I don't know why I have a soft spot for found footage movies but I keep watching them.

Uuugh, that movie was so disappointing.

The premise is great! The potential was there! The setting is actually really interesting!

And then...
...it basically turns into a bog-standard zombie thing, only the zombies have wings. Wooo.

Also, they use a stock sound effect of a bear growling for the demon things, which is just...Gah. Stop doing that, filmmakers. Stop using easily recognizable stock sound effects in your horror films. Stop it.

(I'm looking at you, Babadook.)

That damn Ouija movie. That looks like some direct-to-DVD tier crap that somehow is getting a theatrical release, a prequel to a movie with a 7% on Rotten Tomatoes

So yeah, don't let that color your mindset. I can't not laugh when I see that trailer

My favorite part of that trailer is how similar it looks to the trailer for "The Conjuring". They both even use "Time of the Season" by The Zombies against a backdrop of domestic tranquility to say, "Hey, get it? This is the early 1970s!"

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

Whhhhhhaaaaaaaaaat! All this time I've been thinking 'oh god, another Oujia board movie? How? How! Knowing its a prequel is a weird mix of 'that makes sense' and 'god damn it...'

oh the other one was an exorcist who uses science to go into the possessed person's mind to council them about the demon using their body.

HiiiLife

I cringe every time that trailer comes on. SHES EXPERIENCING SOMETHING AMAZEBALLZZZZZZ

Interestingly enough, the new Ouija movie is directed by Mike Flanagan. He's the guy that directed Absentia, Oculus, and Hush.

On another note, I kind of had a few beers last night and blind bought the new Slugs Blu-ray (don't drink and Amazon!), what am I in for?

Wrong Region, but I am glad that there will be a avaiable master. Shouldnt take long then^^

Which region are you looking for?

On another note, I kind of had a few beers last night and blind bought the new Slugs Blu-ray (don't drink and Amazon!), what am I in for?

Slugs is fucking awesome. Fantastic gore scenes, and some of the worst acting ever seen. Like worse than Troll 2 levels of bad.

I found House by the Cemetery on Shudder last night. Dare I say that Fulci's ghost/haunted house movies are among the best in the genre?

It's out tomorrow, courtesy of the fine folks at Arrow Video.

Ordered!

*rubs hands together*

Edit:

Slugs is basically what would happen to The Blob remake if you took away most of the talent, all of the money and replaced the Blob with slugs. It's great, b-movie fun.

lordxar

Slugs is fucking awesome. Fantastic gore scenes, and some of the worst acting ever seen. Like worse than Troll 2 levels of bad.

I found House by the Cemetery on Shudder last night. Dare I say that Fulci's ghost/haunted house movies are among the best in the genre?

I love Fulci's horror stuff. It's just great on a whole different level.

Top Bottom