• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Aizo

Banned
Watched Dark Water for the first time at like 3am last night on Japanese Netflix in the dark with headphones after playing Amnesia. It was fairly creepy. Definitely a solid classic for Japanese Horror.

Checked out The Shallows last night....I love anything sharks and was interested in the premise so I came in with high hopes. Wasn't totally let down but was just kinda ehh by the end. I did enjoy it though.

Takes a lot of suspension of disbelief to get through the second half....

The second half brought down the film for me as well. I wasn't too big on the backstory either.
Why do we need to know that she got her medical degree after the attack?
I split the film in two parts, the survivor nature story that I wanted, and then ridiculousness: the movie.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Yo Yo Yo! Anyone here a fan of Candle Cove or creepypasta in general? What about horror anthology series? Because apparently Scyfy has a thing Anyway, I am super excited and really hope this is a success. I would love more stuff like this!

Jerm411

The second half brought down the film for me as well. I wasn't too big on the backstory either.
Why do we need to know that she got her medical degree after the attack?
I split the film in two parts, the survivor nature story that I wanted, and then ridiculousness: the movie.

Pretty much where I'm at....when we hit
the shit with the GoPro I was ok I see where we're at lol

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Italy gets a sweet 6 Disc Mediabook with the 4k Blu-Ray of the Argento Cut of Dawn of the Dead plus every other interation of that movie on Blu-Ray :/

Its coming November 17th from Koch Media and I hope germany gets their own version at some point... Really want to see that 4K Master... Also, its just 45€ https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01LTHL0IS/

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seems like Amazon is busy
fucking up
making the Suspiria Remake but it has strange stuff about Nazipast stuff and it looks it takes place in Berlin in 1977 and doesnt have a danceschool... Cant wait for the disaster to unfold.

Steamlord

fucking up
making the Suspiria Remake but it has strange stuff about Nazipast stuff and it looks it takes place in Berlin in 1977 and doesnt have a danceschool... Cant wait for the disaster to unfold.

Oh god, I had no idea this was happening. It'll all end in tears (or sighs, rather). IMDb says Dakota Johnson is playing Suzy Bannion, so who is Chloe Moretz playing? Not that it matters, neither of them can replace Jessica Harper.

At least we've got the Synapse release of the original to look forward to (however many more years that takes :p).

fucking up

This movie is doomed. I can't wait to hear what they do for the theme song.

scotcheggz

Hey guys, I hope this isn't too shitty of me, but I really want to sound out with you guys about a new youtube channel I just made.

The basic premise is horror and mystery stories that I write sort of in the veign of the twilight zone etc. but told from a kind of meta-world radio station from the fictional country of Moya called PRM 107.4. As the stories go I want to build up the backstory of Moya and do things like drop hidden links into videos that will point to unlisted videos or websites that help to flesh out the Moya world. I want it to be set in a vague time, so you're never sure if its current, old, future..(??) All a bit roleplay-ish. Anyway, I uploaded my first story and it's kind of straight horror rather than mystery or sci fi or something, so I'd love to know what you think if you're interested to have a listen.

First vid is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXOCPvPe_60

acohrs

Here's a topic that I was thinking about that I wanted to ask HorrorGaf. What moments in horror films have made you feel so scared/disgusted that you were unable to keep sitting down and finish the film? Can be a video game, book, or hell even a youtube video.

For me I can recall three points in my life:

1. Don't remember when but went to see Independence Day with older cousins, older brother, and grandfather at the cinema. Left the screening at the scene with the alien in the lab and just sat in the cinema and waited for the end of the film!

2. Child watching the Mummy, probably 7 or something, the scene with the scarab eating the guy's brain. Watched that at a sleepover and couldn't sleep afterwards...

3 (and really 4). Watching scenes of the "monsters" of Human Centipede and Tusk on Youtube. I felt sick to my stomach and for a few days afterwards, couldn't even think of those films again without feeling sick and scared! Eventually later on, I watched Human Centipede and forced myself to watch the whole thing to get over the monster. Still waiting to feel tough enough to watch Tusk and not feeling sick of that stupidly effective monster suit...

Anyone else got such moments??

Did you like the movie? Thinking about picking that bluray myself. How are the extras?
The Wailing is one of hose movies I feel comfortable recommending to anyone who is even remotely interested in horror. It's worth a rental at the very least.

Watched The Shallows today. It was okay I guess? Third act was downright silly but it was pretty tense through the first two. Not one I'd ever rewatch, but still pretty good.

Watched The Shallows today. It was okay I guess? Third act was downright silly but it was pretty tense through the first two. Not one I'd ever rewatch, but still pretty good.
My opinion too. The 2/3s were actually pretty good, had some intense moments, and used its minimal set-up to good effect. And then the last 1/3 turned it into ridiculous woman vs shark action movie

Here's a topic that I was thinking about that I wanted to ask HorrorGaf. What moments in horror films have made you feel so scared/disgusted that you were unable to keep sitting down and finish the film? Can be a video game, book, or hell even a youtube video.

For me I can recall three points in my life:

1. Don't remember when but went to see Independence Day with older cousins, older brother, and grandfather at the cinema. Left the screening at the scene with the alien in the lab and just sat in the cinema and waited for the end of the film!

2. Child watching the Mummy, probably 7 or something, the scene with the scarab eating the guy's brain. Watched that at a sleepover and couldn't sleep afterwards...

3 (and really 4). Watching scenes of the "monsters" of Human Centipede and Tusk on Youtube. I felt sick to my stomach and for a few days afterwards, couldn't even think of those films again without feeling sick and scared! Eventually later on, I watched Human Centipede and forced myself to watch the whole thing to get over the monster. Still waiting to feel tough enough to watch Tusk and not feeling sick of that stupidly effective monster suit...

Anyone else got such moments??

I finish every movie I start nowadays, but I also stay away from films that has content I don't want to see. For instance, despite the good reputation it has, I have no intention of ever watching Martyrs.

When I was younger though I would get scared shitless. It took me three years to finish Halloween. I would watch it, make it about thirty minutes, and then have to turn it off. Six months later I'd try again, but then (in the movie) a dog would come in the kitchen and start barking so I turned it off again. I finally saw the ending of the movie while watching the beginning of Halloween 2, then I was good to go.

Aizo

Banned
Looked for Hellboy/Mignola books, found no Hellboy or Mignola books, I am left with mixed feelings XD
I would moreso try to be focusing on stuff that's straight up Horror, and not just Horror themed; stuff that has the sole purpose of making the reader frightened or uncomfortable. I don't think Hellboy is that.

GhaleonEB

My opinion too. The 2/3s were actually pretty good, had some intense moments, and used its minimal set-up to good effect. And then the last 1/3 turned it into ridiculous woman vs shark action movie

Yeah. Around when she got to the
buoy near the end, it got ridiculous. What was frustrating was I thought they were setting up a few different ways she could kill it using the tools she had. But instead they went for one just shockingly dumb, especially considering how relatively grounded the rest of the film was.

Still a fun flick, but the last act took it down a notch.

acohrs

I finish every movie I start nowadays, but I also stay away from films that has content I don't want to see. For instance, despite the good reputation it has, I have no intention of ever watching Martyrs.

When I was younger though I would get scared shitless. It took me three years to finish Halloween. I would watch it, make it about thirty minutes, and then have to turn it off. Six months later I'd try again, but then (in the movie) a dog would come in the kitchen and start barking so I turned it off again. I finally saw the ending of the movie while watching the beginning of Halloween 2, then I was good to go.

Really, wouldn't that ruin the film if you know some of the stuff beforehand? I agree with you on Martyrs, I kind of wish that I didn't see it. It was very good but very disturbing.

Apart from the films listed above, the one film I've read about and just flat out said nope, was A Serbian Film (I think that's what it's called). Read the premise and it just sounds like horrible incest, sex, and gore for the sake of it. Just sounds awful...

Really, wouldn't that ruin the film if you know some of the stuff beforehand? I agree with you on Martyrs, I kind of wish that I didn't see it. It was very good but very disturbing.

Martyrs is one of those movies that I personally think is excellent and tremendously effective, but:

A: I have no particular desire to see it again any time soon; and
B: I'm very, very careful about who I recommend it to

Still, it's one of the only horror movies I've seen in years to actually stick with me for a couple of days after watching it, which I consider a job well done.

Really, wouldn't that ruin the film if you know some of the stuff beforehand?

Yep, that was the point though. Since I knew the outcome I could finally finish watching the movie without being as scared. I was also like 11 years old, so I didn't care as much about ruining films.

acohrs

Yep, that was the point though. Since I knew the outcome I could finally finish watching the movie without being as scared. I was also like 11 years old, so I didn't care as much about ruining films.

I meant more about when you talked about Martyrs than Halloween, as you watched that first as a kid without knowing about it. I guess if you watch the trailer and just say 'nope', that's not ruining the film. You can then decide do I want to watch this, or nope let's read the plot on wiki and move on in my life.

I watched Housebound for the first time just because it popped up on Amazon Prime.
housebound-5454dc5dc65ad.jpg

...Why didn't I know about this movie before??? It was SO good! Lovely comdey horror with unique and likeable characters – I really cared for everyone. I want more like this, now :( Do you have any recommendations? I'm hoping there's some british or scandinavian films that tickle the same nerve. In some ways I was reminded of Hot Fuzz.

Here's a short compilation:
I loved:
Cabin in the Woods
Housebound
Shaun of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End
Dead Snow, especially part 2
Evil Dead 2 & 3
Braindead/Dead Alive

Didn't love:
Tucker & Dale Vs Evil
This is The End
Scary Movie (any part)

T.O.P

Banned
I watched Housebound for the first time just because it popped up on Amazon Prime.
housebound-5454dc5dc65ad.jpg

...Why didn't I know about this movie before??? It was SO good! Lovely comdey horror with unique and likeable characters – I really cared for everyone. I want more like this, now :( Do you have any recommendations? I'm hoping there's some british or scandinavian films that tickle the same nerve. In some ways I was reminded of Hot Fuzz.

Here's a short compilation:
I loved:
Cabin in the Woods
Housebound
Shaun of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End
Dead Snow, especially part 2
Evil Dead 2 & 3
Braindead/Dead Alive

Didn't love:
Tucker & Dale Vs Evil
This is The End
Scary Movie (any part)

A film i'm 101% sure you'll love

Dead_End_movie.jpg

Zombine

Banned
That Jordan Peele movie looks...interesting

I can't be the only one that smells shit from a mile away. It looks horrendous. Looks like an hour+ long Key & Peele skit. From the trailer I don't think the movie knows what it wants to be, and the acting didn't set my world on fire either.

Soooooooooo campy in the worst way.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Whats your plan for Halloween regarding movies?

I plan to watch movies from three eras:

1 Universal Black & White Movie
1 70/80/90 classic Movie
1 modern age (2000-2016) movie

Currently I am think about watching Frankenstein, Cronos and Evil Dead.

And I want to make a Jack o Lantern this year. How does GAF handle this usually? Will there be a Jack o lantern topic where everyone shows his creation?

I meant more about when you talked about Martyrs than Halloween, as you watched that first as a kid without knowing about it. I guess if you watch the trailer and just say 'nope', that's not ruining the film. You can then decide do I want to watch this, or nope let's read the plot on wiki and move on in my life.

I see I see. Well I had every intention to watch Martyr's, during one of the early 31 days of horror marathons, but because of its reputation I asked about the kind of content to see if I could stomach it. I was told that I wouldn't by some reliable sources. Then, with no intention of watching it, I spoiled myself on the plot by reading a summary.

JeruZalem

Okay, so why did it take half the movie before shit actually started going down?

Edit:
Man, fuck this movie. Fuck the main character. And fuck this ending.

acohrs

Just saw Rosemary's Baby last night, golden oldie! Pacing wasn't great and the movie went on longer than it needed to but I really enjoyed it. The themes explored in that film are still very relevant today.

The Thing collector's edition should be coming in the mail today. Don't know if I'll get to it tonight though gotta watch Scream Queens.

The idiots in Hollywood want to remake Nightmare on Elm Street again.

And it seems like they are seriously working on it.

Can't wait to see all of the iconic scenes from the original regurgitated once again.

Actually, I've never sat through the remake, but I saw a few clips on YouTube and it astounded me how much worse the redone scenes are. The shot in the original of Nancy sleeping while Freddy hovers over her though the wall is fantastic. The remake does the same scene with "modern" technology and it looks like shit. Straight shit.

Sigh, I'd watch if Robert Englund came back. Yeah, I'm part of the problem.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Robert Englund gives just advices like that they should do a Jason Goes To Hell and let Freddy jump in other bodys all the time.

He is not helpful.

Aske

JeruZalem

Okay, so why did it take half the movie before shit actually started going down?

Edit:
Man, fuck this movie. Fuck the main character. And fuck this ending.

Really? I loved it. It's nothing profound, but it's a fun action horror. I enjoyed the ride from beginning to end.

The idiots in Hollywood want to remake Nightmare on Elm Street again.

And it seems like they are seriously working on it.

I'm into it. Keep the franchise alive. I hated the last attempt, but I'm still there day one for this if it looks half decent. I'm always down for more Freddy.

Can't wait to see all of the iconic scenes from the original regurgitated once again.

Actually, I've never sat through the remake, but I saw a few clips on YouTube and it astounded me how much worse the redone scenes are. The shot in the original of Nancy sleeping while Freddy hovers over her though the wall is fantastic. The remake does the same scene with "modern" technology and it looks like shit. Straight shit.

Sigh, I'd watch if Robert Englund came back. Yeah, I'm part of the problem.
The remake is horrible but I love how they make you feel bad for Freddy. The whole movie they make you question if maybe he was innocent the whole time and then nah, he wasn't

It stood out as an interesting choice in an otherwise completely uninteresting take on the franchise. The CG and reliance on jump scares are awful

dawgparty

Finally got around to watching Green Room. Fucking BLOWN away by how much I loved the movie. The main female character was my favorite in so long. Any other siege/fight for your life movies that are this great?

hampig

Finally got around to watching Green Room. Fucking BLOWN away by how much I loved the movie. The main female character was my favorite in so long. Any other siege/fight for your life movies that are this great?

Green Room was so good. It was just so brutal in little bursts.

I would recommend Blue Ruin though. It has a similar, but more serious feel to it, and is at least as good as Green Room.

As far as siege/fight for your life movies, You're Next is another recent one that is excellent. You could maybe count Don't Breath there, I thought that was pretty good. I can't really think of anything else though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hellraiser is a weird movie.
The parts in hell and with the Xenobits are great, but nothing is really happening and I wouldnt even call it a horrormovie.

Top Bottom