• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

acohrs

Watched these two last night. Really enjoyable.

iXA0NLE.jpg
7lQ7Bzb.jpg

Really liked hush. Enjoying the small recent trend of disability in horror like hush and don't breathe. Adds something new

Saw Under The Shadow last night. I really enjoyed it, although I felt the finale shifted too much into more generic horror tropes compared to the subdued rest of the movie.

One of the best things about foreign movies is how compelling the different cultures and settings are compared to the one I'm familiar with, and that was Under The Shadow's greatest strength IMO. The wartime situation of 1980s Tehran and the culture/treatment towards women gave the entire movie this oppressive tension that honestly was more gripping than any of the actual horror, and helped make the horror elements scarier and feel more dangerous

Highly recommended

under-the-shadow.jpg

strafer

I also watched sadako v kayako which was hilariously bad, I just wanted to see it because I'm a fan of both franchises. Also the ending was kinda bad and weird.

Let's see how long until the american remake comes out.

Buffy and Naomi Watts team up. <3

Aske

I also watched sadako v kayako which was hilariously bad, I just wanted to see it because I'm a fan of both franchises. Also the ending was kinda bad and weird.

Let's see how long until the american remake comes out.

Buffy and Naomi Watts team up. <3

Is this on Shudder now?

kinggroin

Banned
Corpse of Anna Fritz was damn good. About as good as I could have hoped. I was already a fan of André Øvredal after Troll Hunter, but now he's really got my attention.

I also had the pleasure of viewing 'We Are the Flesh'.A film that celebrates carnality and impulse, but perhaps as a point to demonstrating a deep seeded problem in Mexican culture. I'm not aware of the social or political issues there, so I took the film on surface level stuff.

I posted this in the movie thread and might as well post it here as well.

DAR_Comp_06.jpg

Holy crap I wasn't expecting this at all. Shot in B&W and a winks to early Polanski and Lynch this movie was great! I was mesmerized with the style and music from the first frame until the last.. I've never heard or saw Lauren Ashley Carter but she carries the entire movie with minimal dialogue. It's one of the best acting performances I've seen this year. Period!

She's GREAT! If you're a fan of scanners, and want something in that vein starring Lauren Ashley Carter, I highly recommend you rent or purchase 'The Mind's Eye' - synth filled, brain busting blood bath.

She also has a great sense of humor that comes through in her writing. Worth checking out her site for it http://www.wheresmybagel.com/?p=2060

J-Roderton

Just saw Dreams In The Witch House part of the Masters of Horror movies. Anyone know any other ones from that series that are worth checking out?

lordxar

Just saw Dreams In The Witch House part of the Masters of Horror movies. Anyone know any other ones from that series that are worth checking out?

I have about ten left in the series but how you feel about that one you'll probably find the rest comparable. There's slightly better and slightly worse but for me their all about the same. I got stopped going through them by the Halloween marathon and I just haven't gotten back but I will finish them at some point. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there really isn't any stand outs. Cigarette Burns might be the closest but their all relatively entertaining in some fashion.

Aske

She's GREAT! If you're a fan of scanners, and want something in that vein starring Lauren Ashley Carter, I highly recommend you rent or purchase 'The Mind's Eye' - synth filled, brain busting blood bath.

She also has a great sense of humor that comes through in her writing. Worth checking out her site for it http://www.wheresmybagel.com/?p=2060

Agreed - Lauren Ashley Carter is fantastic, and she also seems to know exactly who to work with. I feel like everything she's been in has been outstanding.

I first stumbled across her in Jugface. Loved it. Darling is incredible, The Woman is a classic of course, and although Pod is less groundbreaking, it's a solid movie.

I watched Train to Busan on amazon with the 99 cent rental promo. I ended up really liking it.

It started very slow but it builds a good story for the characters and by the time things ramp up I'm actually caring about people. Even some of the minor characters have enough scenes to make me either root for or against them. This is what a lot of other zombie movies fail on--in most zombie movies I just want cool action and death scenes and don't care one way or another which characters survive.

The only thing lacking was story, but I really didn't expect anything.

zeemumu

So we've got Underworld: Brood Wars this Friday, The Bye Bye Man coming up next Friday, Split coming up the following Friday, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter after that, and Rings at the beginning of February.

Underworld and Resident Evil aren't scary but zombies and monsters so whatever.

I'm worried about Split being a January Thriller film because it's supposedly really good but January horror/thriller films don't have a good reputation for quality overall.

acohrs

watching the OA and I don't know if it's horror, sci-fi, or drama. Having seen Martyrs though, it's very tame in comparison...

lordxar

So we've got Underworld: Brood Wars this Friday, The Bye Bye Man coming up next Friday, Split coming up the following Friday, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter after that, and Rings at the beginning of February.

Underworld and Resident Evil aren't scary but zombies and monsters so whatever.

I'm worried about Split being a January Thriller film because it's supposedly really good but January horror/thriller films don't have a good reputation for quality overall.

Looking forward to RE. Just bought the last two yesterday and plan on marathoning the whole thing again before I go see the new one.

Underworld was cool but will probably wait until it hits home.

Now Split...I'm really looking forward too. I love Shyamalan's movies, even the ones everyone hates so I'm hoping it's his typical output which reminds me...I haven't watched the Visit yet.

zeemumu

Looking forward to RE. Just bought the last two yesterday and plan on marathoning the whole thing again before I go see the new one.

Underworld was cool but will probably wait until it hits home.

Now Split...I'm really looking forward too. I love Shyamalan's movies, even the ones everyone hates so I'm hoping it's his typical output which reminds me...I haven't watched the Visit yet.

The Visit is the first one in a long time that I've regarded as actually being okay and not "so bad it's good" like The Happening and Lady in the Water. It's significantly more grounded than those two, though. I'd recommend it to watch if you've never seen it before.

The Wailing was incredible. Ending blew my mind and the suspense was with the best of the horror films this year in the third act. A little long in the beginning but I'm trying to decide if it makes my top 10 cause it feels like it does.

zeemumu

Cult of Chucky beings filming this monday.

There's a synopsis of the movie at the link but I won't post it because it spoils Curse of Chucky but it sounds pretty cool if you are fan of the franchise and liked the last one.

There was also an announcement trailer.

I'm excited tbh.

Curse of Chucky was an interesting return to form for the series so I'll check this one out too.

It's weird how
Jennifer Tilly is playing a woman who became a doll who became Jennifer Tilly in-universe

Cool that Andy's gonna have a part beyond that cameo in Curse

Aske

Watched Offspring last night. I'd been meaning to see it for a while, ever since I learned that The Woman was its sequel. Superb film. Far less profound and original than The Woman, but it pairs with it very nicely. Successfully feels exactly like it was made in the 80s, despite coming out in 2009; and delivers creepy kids and feral humans that feel effectively chilling - something I can rarely say about either, despite both being horror mainstays. Definitely see this if you enjoyed The Woman.

Grabbed I Am Not a Serial Killer and Blair Witch on Blu. Weekend watching should be fun. I saw Blair Witch in theaters and didn't hate it like a lot of people seem to so a rewatch should be interesting.

zeemumu

This reminds me. I got around to Watching Sadako vs. Kayako. It was a sort of a mix of horror and comedy and I wasn't really expecting it but there was actual fighting (sorta) at some point. I'll admit that the movies seems to have a bit of a bias towards Sadako over Kayako. She has a larger presence in the film overall and seems more like the main antagonist than Kayako does. Even Toshio shows up more than Kayako.
Sadako seems to be stronger during the fight as well
. I liked the main characters a lot more than I liked the main characters in something like Freddy vs. Jason. Those characters were pretty much hollow shells to be cannon fodder for the slashers, but these ones feel like real people.

Grabbed I Am Not a Serial Killer and Blair Witch on Blu. Weekend watching should be fun. I saw Blair Witch in theaters and didn't hate it like a lot of people seem to so a rewatch should be interesting.

I'm probably gonna grab Blair Witch from a Redbox and watch it with some friends. I've seen it but I don't know if they have. I thought it was fine (I'm slightly claustrophobic so that tunnel scene that you see in the trailers got to me a little) but I can see the criticism that it borrows heavily from current found footage films. That said, I've seen the first one maybe 3 times in the past few months. It hasn't aged well because it's one of those movies that loses a lot of its charm once you know what's going down, and we've had decades to decipher every single frame of that film for plot.

drotahorror

watching the OA and I don't know if it's horror, sci-fi, or drama. Having seen Martyrs though, it's very tame in comparison...

I get mad Donnie Darko vibes when watching The OA. Pretty great show, I'm only on episode 6 though.
-------

I watched Blair Witch recently. It was ok. The ending was solid, and I really dug the house at the end. One of the best designed dilapidated houses I've seen in movies.

I hope Adam Wingard gets another shot at some original material. There's only so much you can do imo with Blair Witch. Now he's working on Death Note and I Saw the Devil. A remake and a manga. I loved The Guest and You're Next, I'd like more of that. I'm still hype for anything he works on though.

Sleepaway Camp 4 is barely a movie

Talking about 4 or Return to Sleepaway Camp?

i'm excited then!

3 already felt kinda lazy to be honest... everyone just phoned it in, the kills we're fun but poorly made and the amount of boobs per minute went up just cause

Return To Sleepaway Camp is a direct sequel to the original, ignores the previous sequels, technically the 4th film. Sleepaway Camp IV was cancelled movie, it only recently was released, but it's just a couple minutes of footage that was filmed of the aborted film (the film quality is awful), and is mostly just flashbacks to the first three movies to make it movie length.

Steamlord

Sleepaway Camp 4 is only worth watching if you want a highlight reel of the first three movies. In other words, if you want a highlight reel of the 2nd and 3rd movies. Because the first is actually worth watching in its entirety. And arguably the second depending on your tastes.

zeemumu

I don't think I've ever sat down and watched the classic universal monster films in their entirety. Only in pieces.I wonder if they'll hold up as well now that I'm familiar with the books.

Aske

Over the last few weeks, I've been catching up on seasons 4, 5, and 6 of American Horror Story.

Really interesting. As much as I love Jessica Lange, I think season 5 (Hotel) is the best thing the team have ever done. Just amazing. They managed to make vampires - which we all know have been super lame since Blade 2 - fun and awesome again. Anyone who bailed on this show during seasons 1-4, give 5 a shot. Very different feel; generally higher quality all around.

Season 6 was interesting. Smart idea, very well paced and with really enjoyable layers to the plot, but the meat of the story was not as well executed as it could have been. Ending was superb though - major points for a climax that elevated everything that came before.

I hope season 7 will return to the previously established formula, but regardless, the self-contained seasons combined with superior acting talent have created something very special wherever they take the show in the future.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What a laughable piece of shit Conjuring 2 is.
Crooked Man scene, my god, what a joke.

And why establishing the Amytville Horror now as something seperat from the case of the last movie?

zeemumu

What a laughable piece of shit Conjuring 2 is.
Crooked Man scene, my god, what a joke.

And why establishing the Amytville Horror now as something seperat from the case of the last movie?

They alluded to it at the end of the first film because they actually worked on that case.

Top Bottom