• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

gamz

We have forgotten the Evil Dead Remake among the great Remakes.
Even when I would classify it more as a Sequel like it was original intended (with Army of Darkness and a Ash/Mia Team Up followed up)

Super sad that this has not happened.

Next Movie on my Halloween Marathon is Cronos.

Not to mention The Fly.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Next Movie was Cronos, which Was a big let down.

I expected the movie spending more time on telling more on the Cronos Device and maybe have Jesus struggle more with his new gained life energy and the vampire thematic.
The movie has similar issues like Hellraiser to me, its spends to much time on other stuff while the most interesting thing about it is the mcguffin and what surrounds it. Hellraiser is of course the much better movie.
Oh, and Ron Paulmann sucks donkeyballs in this.
But I guess thats what you have to expect when you buy a movie based on the description if the title giving device on Wikipedia.

Next up is the original Universal Frankenstein

lordxar

I expected the movie spending more time on telling more on the Cronos Device and maybe have Jesus struggle more with his new gained life energy and the vampire thematic.
The movie has similar issues like Hellraiser to me, its spends to much time on other stuff while the most interesting thing about it is the mcguffin and what surrounds it. Hellraiser is of course the much better movie.
But I guess thats what you have to expect when you buy a movie based on the description if the title giving device on Wikipedia.

I liked Ron Perlman in this but ultimately thought the whole movie was kind of boring. He was just such an asshole and felt right in that role.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Frankenstein makes no sense.
Nobody from the villagers has ever seen the monster and Victor Frankenstein himself has just realized that his monster is on the loose, but suddently the whole village knows that Boris Karloff is Running around.

Also not even back then they didnt get it right that the scientist is Frankenstein and not the monster -,-

Still a great movie, the Its Alive scene is amazing and the sets are unbelieveable, it looks like they took a big note from german expressesion for the interiors of the castle.
I think tomorrow I will see Bride of Frankenstein.

acohrs

It's still probably better than his next film Mimic, which I watched for the first time yesterday. It's OK, nothing special, and won't remember any of it in a while.

drotahorror

We have forgotten the Evil Dead Remake among the great Remakes.

Not me that's for sure. In fact I had high hopes that the Unrated Blu Ray was coming out in October. Sadly it was only digital.

I never thought blob (1988) would be legit good.

I am SO glad you just mentioned that. The blu ray was a limited release and I missed it. I just checked amazon and another version? is coming out in less than 2 weeks and it's up for preorder. Hells yea.

gamz

Holidays was shit. I didn't like any of the stories except for Father's Day and that blew the ending. Kevin Smith's was the worst.

SomTervo

Can I just say that We Are Still Here was one of the worst recommendations I've ever had from GAF.

Room full of six film-loving adults who've watched every horror from Rosemary's Baby to Braindead to the Babadook.

All of us thought it was laughably shit.

These lines are now part of our injoke canon until we die:

'Paul, look at your wife. Look at her, man. He's your son.'

Can I just say that We Are Still Here was one of the worst recommendations I've ever had from GAF.

Room full of six film-loving adults who've watched every horror from Rosemary's Baby to Braindead to the Babadook.

It's well-liked by a lot of horror communities, so, y'know. It's not just GAF.

I definitely understand it not being for everyone, but I still really enjoyed it. But I love the throwback period movies that get done every now and then. House of the Devil is another example. Love it to death but most people I know who watched it on my recommendation said it was boring.

drotahorror

I thought it was ok, like a 5.5 or 6/10. I nabbed it for $5 on blu ray. I took a bit of advice from this board and grabbed The Neon Demon and The Green Room. TND was hot garbage, TGR was average as hell. GAF (atleast some) also loves A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. It was even worse than neon demon.

I really hope Don't Breathe doesn't suck. I'm blind buying it this month. Too many shitters lately to be honest. Like every big horror movie that came out this year (blu ray) has been average or shit.

lordxar

I thought it was ok, like a 5.5 or 6/10. I nabbed it for $5 on blu ray. I took a bit of advice from this board and grabbed The Neon Demon and The Green Room. TND was hot garbage, TGR was average as hell. GAF (atleast some) also loves A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. It was even worse than neon demon.

I really hope Don't Breathe doesn't suck. I'm blind buying it this month. Too many shitters lately to be honest. Like every big horror movie that came out this year (blu ray) has been average or shit.

Yeah I'd give We Are Still Here a 6. Need to see Neon Demon and Girl Walks Home but that one seemed slow. I liked Don't Breathe. In fact I gave it an 8 which might be a bit high. It did some nice things but had some missteps too. Green Room was irritating because I bought it blindly after hearing how good it was. These aren't terrible wastes of time by any means but their not the masterpieces people say either.

Pedantry: It's "Green Room", not "The Green Room".

This reminds me I still need to watch "A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night", though. It might pair well with "Under the Shadow", since we don't get a ton of horror films out of the Middle East.

drotahorror

^You are correct. Each time I see the case I even tell myself there's no "the".

Obviously.

Bruh.

Bruh.

I thought House of the Devil was pretty good. I thought it was going to be GOAT though from the opening scene. I loved the opening part, just the way it was filmed and everything.

HiiiLife

Ouija was....okay(?) for the 4 dollars I spent. I wish I was as eloquent as some of the other posters here, but it wasn't downright shitty like I was expecting.

And I'll once again mention Corpse Husband, Mr. Nightmare and Llama Arts (Mr. Nightmare voiceover but this time with animated pictures) on YouTube seem to really hit that horror/creepy niche more than any "scary" movie I've seen lately.

Treat it like a podcast and just listen. The imagination does wonders. Lol.

lordxar

Caught Phantasm last night which I dug. It's up on Shudder in remastered format and looked really good. Thought I'd watched it years ago but apparently all I'd saw was ads with the ball or something.

acohrs

Over the weekend, I watched I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House. It was a solid OK. Spends so much time on atmosphere and pacing to the point that the characters and storytelling suffer. The ending is farcical IMO

Zombine

Banned
Absolutely cannot wait for The Blob Blu-Ray on Friday. It will be the first time Ive seen it in years.

I don't think I've seen it since SyFy was "Sci-Fi" and I was still in middle school.

Steamlord

Over the weekend, I watched I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House. It was a solid OK. Spends so much time on atmosphere and pacing to the point that the characters and storytelling suffer. The ending is farcical IMO

I saw it the other day too. I agree it's far from perfect, but damn that atmosphere is on point. And that sound design, bruh.

acohrs

I saw it the other day too. I agree it's far from perfect, but damn that atmosphere is on point. And that sound design, bruh.

Agree, the sound and atmosphere is amazing. What did you think of the ending, especially
the main character's death

Steamlord

Agree, the sound and atmosphere is amazing. What did you think of the ending, especially
the main character's death

It was fairly predictable
I mean she straight up says it at the beginning
, but I wasn't really expecting anything mindblowing. Overall it was a net positive for me.

drotahorror

Absolutely cannot wait for The Blob Blu-Ray on Friday. It will be the first time Ive seen it in years.

Word, I've never seen the remake or the original. I hear the remake is a marvel in the special effects department. I believe it's from an Australian company but since the original blu release is OOP, I'll take what I can get. It's region free anyway I believe.

It's got a hot 1 star on netflix but their reviewers are worse than imdb. Hopefully I can check it out sometime.

acohrs

It was fairly predictable
I mean she straight up says it at the beginning
, but I wasn't really expecting anything mindblowing. Overall it was a net positive for me.

Yeah but
by a heart attack
? Nothing seemed to foreshadow that!

Steamlord

Yeah but
by a heart attack
? Nothing seemed to foreshadow that!

It kind of makes me wonder if they were going for an ambiguous explanation as to whether
it was the ghost or the mold. She does mention that she's worried about the mold causing respiratory issues...plus they say some molds can cause you to hallucinate (ghosts specifically, even). Layers!

Melchiah

Saw two films at the local Night Visions festival yesterday.

QVqZioOl.jpg

http://www.nightvisions.info/wp/en/portfolio/we-go-on/
”Thought-provoking genre excursion”
– Blair Hoyle/ Cinemaslasher

”Savvy, tender, and scary”
– Cinehouse

”A very human horror story that puts paranoid people above paranormal shocks”
– Ian Sedensky / Culture Crypt

”Miles Grissom suffers from a form of post-traumatic stress. He`s terrified of death to the point where he has trouble driving, sleeping, functioning, the classics. Fed up, he takes out an ad in a local trade offering a bounty of $30,000 to anyone who can provide him with irrefutable proof that there is an afterlife. He wants closure. The thing with the supernatural is that, much like that nightstand drawer on your mom`s side of the bed, maybe it should be left alone. Certain things should not be touched.”
– Jo Santana / Destroy the Brain!

Thumbs up for We Go On. Good mood, fitting soundtrack, and a refreshing angle to its theme.

LOdeeJPl.jpg

http://www.nightvisions.info/wp/en/portfolio/let-me-make-you-a-martyr/
”The character development is superb and I was absolutely blown away by Manson’s performance”
– Shannon McGrew / Nightmarish Conjurings

”Most crucial and most individualistic revenge thriller in years”
– Howard Gorman / Tom Holland’s Terror Time

”A Dense, Frightening Revenge Tale”
– Patrick Cooper / Bloody Disgusting

”Drew Glass is back in town and it’s about to hit the fan. Upon his return, he crosses paths with his adoptive father/local crime boss, his crack-addicted adopted sister/lover, a dope-slinging trailer park attendant, a blind priest with a secret, a missing little girl, and a reclusive hit man for hire. Each step brings new challenges as Drew is quickly tangled up in his past with the town.

Starring an almost unrecognizable Marilyn Manson and SONS OF ANARCHY standouts Mark Boone Junior and Niko Nicotera, LET ME MAKE YOU A MARTYR is a crime-flick love-story-melodrama hybrid that gushes style without forgetting the substance. Shot on location in Oklahoma, the cinematography captures the sublime grotesqueness of a decrepit Midwestern town. — the film juxtaposes its genre roots with issues and ideas ranging from child abuse to life after death. A film that dares us to walk away thinking about more than funky soul music, murderous thugs, and muscle cars (all of which, mind you, are still in the movie).

LET ME MAKE YOU A MARTYR is the first feature film from Corey Asraf and John Swab, taking five years to complete. The pair has made a film that betrays the dull, drab camerawork of most indies being released today. By injecting their story with a genre-hopping boldness, the film skips over worn-out clichés and stereotypes that populate so many modern crime films.”
– Devin Mendenhall / Fantasia

Let Me Make You a Martyr is more of a thriller, and wasn't quite as good as a whole. The dialogue felt a bit pretentious at times, but the ending and the character played by Manson were its saving grace. It was nice to see it with the director Corey Asraf sitting beside us, and hear interesting tidbits about its making in the Q&A session afterwards. The screening was nearly sold out, and he said in the end that it's the largest Q&A audience he's ever had.

Aske

It's got a hot 1 star on netflix but their reviewers are worse than imdb. Hopefully I can check it out sometime.

Netflix ratings are predictions: guesses at what you'll rate the movie based on how you've graded other movies in the past (and checked against other viewers with similar preferences). If you fill in the questions on their website, their predictions will be more accurate.

lordxar

I watched the 80's Blob last night and that is pretty damn good. Everyone kept talking about it during October so I finally revisited it. Don't think I've watched it since the early 90's probably and then edited for TV so it was a shit version. I vaguely remembered the diner sink scene is about all. So seeing this edit free was awesome and yes the practical effects were amazing. I think it largely plays out as goofy as the original (in a good way) so it's not the masterpiece that the Thing or Alien is but it's pretty damn good in its own right. I did like the origin in this too because it's not the same as the original. In other words remake done right.

JJD

Watched the Wailing yesterday and was damn good.

Just saw this today, and agreed. Some wonderfully creepy and unsettling moments

Saw it a few days ago, I had high expectations but didn't enjoy it that much.

There are too many plot holes, I just couldn't enjoy it. The comedic first half of the movie didn't work out at all for me.

Cinematography is top notch though, still worth to see.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finally watched The Witch last night. I kept my expectations in check because of the praise, but damn... it's justified. I've watched my share of horror and some scenes still managed to freak me out
(Caleb's death, yeesh)
I think the cast did an outstanding job here, from Cleftjaw to Lysa and the kids.Thomasin is a revelation, she'll go places.

I even thought the twins were creepy

Next on the list: Under the Shadow and The Wailing

drotahorror

I complained to amazon and they gave me 30% off the order.

I didn't complain but I do have a delivery estimate...

Arriving Dec 7, 2016 - Jan 5, 2017

This is a joke right?

Saw it a few days ago, I had high expectations but didn't enjoy it that much.

There are too many plot holes, I just couldn't enjoy it. The comedic first half of the movie didn't work out at all for me.

Cinematography is top notch though, still worth to see.

I liked the story and it was a good movie. I would barely classify it as a horror movie, a lot more drama/mystery than horror.

Aske

You know how modern low budget action horror comedies are usually terrible? Well Manborg is one hour eleven minutes of pure awesome. Great characters, well-paced, hilarious dialogue, awesome stop-motion effects, demons on hoverboards, buckets of gore. This movie knows exactly what it wants to do, and succeeds in every respect. Hellraiser + Robocop + He-Man. Loved it.

What are some horror movies that really nail that classic (usually British and or Victorian/Gothic) ghost story feel? Like the atmosphere of the ghost stories of Henry James, Sheridan Le Fanu, M.R. James, Edgar Alan Poe, etc.

There are countless modern horror movies that have haunted houses and ghosts, but they are far, far from what I'm looking for. Del Toro had classic ghost stories in mind when he directed Crimson Peak, so that is quite close but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

I watched and liked the BBC short "Whistle and I'll Come to You", an adaptation of M.R. James' classic ghost story and the atmosphere is perfectly true to the original story. Though a bit outdated for obvious reasons.

I know "The Innocents" (1961), an adaptation of Henry James' "Turn of the Screw", is supposed to be a classic, but I haven't watched it. What are some others?

Top Bottom