• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Steamlord

What are some horror movies that really nail that classic (usually British and or Victorian/Gothic) ghost story feel? Like the atmosphere of the ghost stories of Henry James, Sheridan Le Fanu, M.R. James, Edgar Alan Poe, etc.

There are countless modern horror movies that have haunted houses and ghosts, but they are far, far from what I'm looking for. Del Toro had classic ghost stories in mind when he directed Crimson Peak, so that is quite close but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

I watched and liked the BBC short "Whistle and I'll Come to You", an adaptation of M.R. James' classic ghost story and the atmosphere is perfectly true to the original story. Though a bit outdated for obvious reasons.

I know "The Innocents" (1961), an adaptation of Henry James' "Turn of the Screw", is supposed to be a classic, but I haven't watched it. What are some others?

You mentioned Crimson Peak but have you seen The Devil's Backbone? It's a much better Del Toro ghost movie. Anyway, some others:

The Innocents (honestly the king of ghost movies as far as I'm concerned)
The Haunting (1963)
The Others
The Fall of the House of Usher (1928 - the Jean Epstein one, not the Watson/Webber short, though that's good in its own way too)
Kill, Baby, Kill
Vampyr (a vampire movie obviously, but a very loose Carmilla adaptation and it nails the eerie atmosphere)
The Uninvited (1944)

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House is divisive but you might give it a try. I thought it was pretty good.

And if you're down with Asian ghost movies I recommend Kuroneko, Kwaidan, and The Ghost of Yotsuya (1959).

lordxar

What are some horror movies that really nail that classic (usually British and or Victorian/Gothic) ghost story feel? Like the atmosphere of the ghost stories of Henry James, Sheridan Le Fanu, M.R. James, Edgar Alan Poe, etc.

There are countless modern horror movies that have haunted houses and ghosts, but they are far, far from what I'm looking for. Del Toro had classic ghost stories in mind when he directed Crimson Peak, so that is quite close but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

I watched and liked the BBC short "Whistle and I'll Come to You", an adaptation of M.R. James' classic ghost story and the atmosphere is perfectly true to the original story. Though a bit outdated for obvious reasons.

I know "The Innocents" (1961), an adaptation of Henry James' "Turn of the Screw", is supposed to be a classic, but I haven't watched it. What are some others?

The Uninvited from 1944 was awesome.

You mentioned Crimson Peak but have you seen The Devil's Backbone? It's a much better Del Toro ghost movie. Anyway, some others:

The Haunting (1963)
The Others
The Fall of the House of Usher (1928 - the Jean Epstein one, not the Watson/Webber short, though that's good in its own way too)
Kill, Baby, Kill
Vampyr (a vampire movie obviously, but a very loose Carmilla adaptation and it nails the eerie atmosphere)
The Uninvited (1944)

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House is divisive but you might give it a try. I thought it was pretty good.

And if you're down with Asian ghost movies I recommend Kuroneko, Kwaidan, and The Ghost of Yotsuya (1959).
Fantastic list. Thanks a lot!

Zombine

Banned
I didn't complain but I do have a delivery estimate...

Arriving Dec 7, 2016 - Jan 5, 2017

This is a joke right?

This...is disappointing. The default picture also changed and it's now some sketchy alt-region amazon customer picture. I'm about to bail hard on this mess.

lordxar

Maybe not directly a horrormovie, but do I need to see Rabid Dogs when I am into Giallos?

Fuck yes. I haven't watched the remake but the original was something special.

The Squad. Someone mentioned this during the October marathon and it looked pretty cool. This has a really good foundation in suspense but ultimately doesn't do anything. This is about a South American squad of soldiers sent to recon an outpost possibly ran over by guerrillas. What they find is a witch. Tensions rise, shit happens and this basically becomes a film about dudes who may have killed innocent civilians at some point which gets used against them by the witch? I don't know this kind of holds the tension for far too long and doesn't have anywhere near a good enough release on it. So when you get to the end its like ok, next movie. I'd love to this one remade properly but do something insane like the ending of They're Watching was.

[Rec], [Rec]2, [Rec]3 and [Rec]4 I powered through those over the weekend and while number one was ok I'd say two was phenomenal, three kind of sucked, and four was a nice return to form and cap on the series. What I liked most was what the actual virus was. I watched the Quarantine remakes and those had an ok backstory but I think the original story is best. Part four kind of departed on the religious aspect a bit but I still think it wrapped everything up nicely. Part three though was trash tier trash. Worth a watch I guess but goofy in all the wrong ways. Like it tried going all Dead Rising for no apparent reason.

Voidguts

if this request isn't appropriate for this thread, lemme know and I'll edit it out

looking for really good, graphic horror manga & anime series/movies; I love Junji Ito, I love Suehiro Maruo, I love the manga Monster and enjoy the anime. I haven't delved much deeper than those few authors/artists. I have most of Berserk to read, but it's huge. I really like body horror stuff, but anything that is well written/executed is appreciated. anything that is similar to Cronenberg, Hidetaka Miyazaki or JC's The Thing is gonna be right up my alley.

if you have any recommendations, please PM me or post here. thank you!

Steamlord

if this request isn't appropriate for this thread, lemme know and I'll edit it out

looking for really good, graphic horror manga & anime series/movies; I love Junji Ito, I love Suehiro Maruo, I love the manga Monster and enjoy the anime. I haven't delved much deeper than those few authors/artists. I have most of Berserk to read, but it's huge. I really like body horror stuff, but anything that is well written/executed is appreciated. anything that is similar to Cronenberg, Hidetaka Miyazaki or JC's The Thing is gonna be right up my alley.

if you have any recommendations, please PM me or post here. thank you!

Abstraction by Shintaro Kago is fucking awesome

kinggroin

Banned
602stb.jpg
It must be said that from a visual standpoint, Anna Biller really knows how to make what was old, new again. The Love Witch is an absolutely gorgeous throwback to 60s film aesthetics and technicolor charm mixed with modern film making technique.

Oh, and it has quite a bit to say on the topic of feminism, and how that factors into the battle of the sexes. It's playful, but sincere in its message.

My review -

http://www.ttf13.com/reviews/2016/11/16/the-love-witch

Hope y'all enjoy it.

It's currently showing in select arthouse theaters. Head on over to www.lifeofastar.com for more info.

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/vXOmzA56E40

acohrs

Watched Below yesterday. Really enjoyed it, liked how well the sub environment suited the story and could feel the claustrophobia. Also it was refreshing that the entity doesn't make a full appearance, just mere sightings in the corner of people's views.

acohrs

The Haunting (1963)
The Others
Kill, Baby, Kill
The Uninvited (1944)

Found the innocents for free on YouTube! Off for today and tomorrow with back pain so going to watch?

acohrs

Found the innocents for free on YouTube! Off for today and tomorrow with back pain so going to watch?

Watched the innocents, great horror! The pacing, the story, the characters, oh it was everything that I could have asked for! 9/10!

Aske

Is Sadako vs Kyako on the US Shudder? It's not on Canadian Shudder yet, but I know Shudder has the exclusive rights to distribution in the West. Can't seem to find anything to indicate whether or not it's been released in English speaking countries - or when it will be - but I'm taking care to avoid any spoilers so I might have missed some info.

An-Det

It's not up yet, and it isn't listed in the email Shudder sent for their "coming in december" list at the start of the month. I just tweeted it at them, so maybe I'll get lucky.

strafer

Just watched Train To Busan, it was good, only thing I didn't like was the forced bad guy, hated that guy, would have been fine without it.

Aske

I tried watching Sadako 3D. Wow. Does it get...not terrible? I gave up maybe 20 mins in. Real shame. The original Ringu and Ringu 2 are some of the most chilling horror films ever created. I knew the franchise's quality had dropped somewhat in the various sequels, but...Seriously. I'll soldier on in case it gets better, but the vibe of this film is a world away from the originals.

Just bought some Christmas-related horror movies from my Amazon list to watch next weekend...

A Christmas Horror Story [2015]
Black Christmas [1974]
Krampus: The Christmas Devil [2013]

Also the non-horror Tokyo Godfathers [2003]...especially looking forwards to Krampus, which has a 1.7 rating on IMDB!

Aske

Just bought some Christmas-related horror movies from my Amazon list to watch next weekend...

A Christmas Horror Story [2015]
Black Christmas [1974]
Krampus: The Christmas Devil [2013]

Also the non-horror Tokyo Godfathers [2003]...especially looking forwards to Krampus, which has a 1.7 rating on IMDB!

No idea about The Christmas Devil, but Krampus with Adam Scott is an excellent "family friendly" seasonal horror comedy.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Ya'll need to watch the Autopsy of Jane Doe. Like, now. Fucking hell of a horror film. Best seen with surround and lights off, as usual.

zeemumu

Today I found out that they're still making Phantasm movies.

This came out a few months ago. I guess it was the last thing Angus Scrimm did before he died.

220px-Phantasm_Ravager_%282016_Film%29.jpg

strafer

Posted in the Blair thread but might as well post here too. Really liked the new Blair Witch movie.

Damn damn damn, this was a good fucking movie.

Once again it made me not go out in the woods for some time.

The audio in the movie was phenomenal and the last part in the rain and the lightning was cool, I wonder if that was a set or in just a rainy night and were lucky.

I'm still a little out on what the hell was going on, need to read some theories.

zeemumu

Posted in the Blair thread but might as well post here too. Really liked the new Blair Witch movie.

Damn damn damn, this was a good fucking movie.

Once again it made me not go out in the woods for some time.

The audio in the movie was phenomenal and the last part in the rain and the lightning was cool, I wonder if that was a set or in just a rainy night and were lucky.

I'm still a little out on what the hell was going on, need to read some theories.

Supposedly
that big thing wandering around wasn't the witch but a proxy (assumed to be heather) and that bright light that they see was the world rapidly changing from night to day back to night.

strafer

Supposedly
that big thing wandering around wasn't the witch but a proxy (assumed to be heather) and that bright light that they see was the world rapidly changing from night to day back to night.

Yeah, I figured there was some time shenanigans involved, when Talia and Lane showed up the second time telling them they've been gone for five days I was like, OH shit and then of course later in the movie in the house.

Also this movie also sheds some light of might have happened to Josh in The Blair Witch Project seeing how he just disappared during the night; maybe the Witch lured Josh using the voice of his girlfriend? Then using the voice of Josh lured Mike and Heather to the house and then proceded to kill them.

Also the black guy in the movie is the voice of Henry in The Last Of Us. Neat.

zeemumu

Yeah, I figured there was some time shenanigans involved, when Talia and Lane showed up the second time telling them they've been gone for five days I was like, OH shit and then of course later in the movie in the house.

Also this movie also sheds some light of might have happened to Josh in The Blair Witch Project seeing how he just disappared during the night; maybe the Witch lured Josh using the voice of his girlfriend? Then using the voice of Josh lured Mike and Heather to the house and then proceded to kill them.

Also the black guy in the movie is the voice of Henry in The Last Of Us. Neat.

Is he really? That's pretty cool. Although
I've never seen a single character in a movie trying harder to die since Micah in Paranormal Activity. I think the only horror trope he doesn't do is have sex with his girlfriend.

Zombine

Banned
Holy crap...The Blob remake is so much fun. I can't believe how
willing they are to murder the shit out of anyone--including that kid!
Really bizarre film with awesome practical effects.

gamz

I posted this in the movie thread and might as well post it here as well.

DAR_Comp_06.jpg

Holy crap I wasn't expecting this at all. Shot in B&W and a winks to early Polanski and Lynch this movie was great! I was mesmerized with the style and music from the first frame until the last.. I've never heard or saw Lauren Ashley Carter but she carries the entire movie with minimal dialogue. It's one of the best acting performances I've seen this year. Period!

zeemumu

I finally got the chance to see Don't Breathe. I thought it was a pretty good reversal on the home invasion genre. My only gripe is about the stupidity of the protagonists, like
how they never shut up despite the fact that he can only find them through sound.

I had heard rumors about how dark it got but damn.
That turkey baster scene was horrifying.

lordxar

Ya'll need to watch the Autopsy of Jane Doe. Like, now. Fucking hell of a horror film. Best seen with surround and lights off, as usual.

Yes, yes YES! Just finished it and I thought it was incredibly good too! The jump scares, few though they were, could have been done away with but largely it was a damn good film.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Any thoughts on Under The Shadow, Evolution, and The Monster? Deciding which one to watch with that Amazon $0.99 deal

Get Under the Shadow. Superb little Iranian horror film. I haven't watched Evolution, but The Monster had its decent moments, but it was nothing to write home about.

Top Bottom