• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Shots Tennis: Get A Grip! |OT| of New balls! Please!

Takao

Banned
4736433141_3b6de56a39.jpg
4737069650_9aa8599cea.jpg
4737069438_96c5d9f5a4.jpg

Alternate Titles: Minna No Tennis: Portable (JP), Everybody’s Tennis (EU)

Platform: PlayStation Portable, PSP Go

Developer: Clap Hanz/Japan Studio

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America/Sony Computer Entertainment Japan/Sony Computer Entertainment Europe

Available on PSN: Yes

Release Date(s):
June 29, 2010 (NA)
February 23, 2010 (JP)
July 2, 2010 (EU)

Multiplayer:
Ad-Hoc
-Singles
-Doubles

MSRP:
$19.99 (NA)
£19.99 (UK)
Too Much Yen (JP)
Something Something Euros (EU)

Main Characters:

Hugo

4737070208_a43406c507_m.jpg

Our cheeky spikey haired hero. He's your dollar store Goku.

Emily

4736433669_7b246c0016_m.jpg

Our calm and collective heroine. She apparently has a wicked backhand, so don't try anything funny.

Special Guest:

Helghast

219z613.jpg

This Helghast soldier has given up his sniper rifle and picked up a tennis racket. Rumor is he performs best on the brown and gray fields.

Overview:

Announced at E3 2009, Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip! is an expanded portable iteration of the PlayStation 2 Hot Shots Golf spinoff, Hot Shots Tennis. Start your own career mode by customizing your character with over 500 pieces of clothing. Unlock new clothing, new courts, new friends, and new foes by going through the new RPG-esque career mode. From there on you can place, volley, drop or smash your way to victory whilst every court has its own physics which will shape your match-winning strategy.

BullScreenshots:

4737070186_34541a2b3e.jpg
4737070062_a45999f647.jpg

4737070006_c2fd4e8b3c.jpg
4737069938_d335b9247b.jpg

4736433223_07a887212d.jpg
4736433755_3ce9ae1eaa.jpg

Reviews:

Metacritic
IGN - 8/10

E3 2010 Trailer

Still not convinced? There's a demo on the PlayStation Store. Remember to keep that demo's save data, as any items, and level increases can be exported into the full game!

245lymg.jpg
2lnk2tt.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I would be very surprised if the PSN version is anything over $20.
Just waiting for Amazon to send me my copy!
Here's hoping it'll run on CFW without issue.
Never did get around to playing my copy of the PS2, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Takao

Banned
PlayStation Network logo makes me think, does the game have infrastructure multiplayer, or DLC now? Hmm.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Some people were saying the PSN version will be $40. That's not true, right?

Why would it? Every online retailer I've seen has listed it as $20. I don't think retailers would lose half their margins on launch, nor do I think Sony would allow that to happen to a first party game. Unless every retailer had gotten the wrong memo from Sony, it should be $20.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Thread title should have been a play on the phrase "trippin' balls" for shits and giggles.

TripOpt55

I was all excited to play this demo and then I kind of stunk at it. But after playing some more I got better and really like it. I had no idea it was only $20. I may get it.

Takao

Banned
Mejilan said:
Thread title should have been a play on the phrase "trippin' balls" for shits and giggles.

Oh, lol, the thread title came from the demo. Once you've completed the demo you get some message that concludes with this:

"Keep a look out for Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip! It's going to be a perfect summer! New balls! Please!"

I honestly don't know what that last bit is supposed to mean, so I put that as the title. :lol It was actually going to be "New balls! Please! Come on, they only cost $20!", but I was having space issues.

anddo0

The demo sold me. I'm not big on Tennis, but anything with the Hot Shots name on it is usually worthwhile.. $20 is too hard to pass up.

depward

So in with this; downloading the PSN version when available on Tuesday. Hot shots games are the best :D

No infrastructure kinda sucks... but you can't have everything, I suppose.

robatw

hard? i don't wanna brag but the demo is way too easy.. a friend of mine was able to win in under 2 minutes in his first demomatch.

i posted it in another thread but yeah the german cover sucks hard.

51W835thJuL._AA300_.jpg

Trevelyan

Banned
Definitely going to pick this up this week at Toys r us thanks to their buy 1 playstation game get another for 50% off. This and Modnation Racers seem like perfect summer games to compliment Peace Walker and P3P for the next few months. :D

depward

Just so everyone knows (it's actually a little confusing). In a recent preview I read (at *******, if we're still banning that site here @ GAF):

Each time the ball crosses the net, an icon surrounds it (triangle, circle, X or square). To make a play for the ball, my best bet was to hit the corresponding symbol on the controller, but I also successfully volleyed by tapping something different.

This is not how you do it! The symbol that shows is the shot the player used to hit the ball, not the button YOU should hit to hit the ball back!

In any case, the writer's preview was actually quite negative... which is a shame, because I found all of his negatives (not being able to hit the ball, thinking that it's more sim than arcade(wut)) to absolutely be the opposite of mine.

I guess we'll see tomorrow!

Lkr

guys, I posted this in the psp cfw thread without much help, but I need help. I'm on an older version of 5.50 gen B and I want to be able to play Hot Shots tomorrow when I pick it up. What custom firmware update lets me play the newest UMDs? I wasn't even able to play the demo because I don't know what to do

Pezking

robatw said:
i posted it in another thread but yeah the german cover sucks hard.

51W835thJuL._AA300_.jpg

It will come with a flip-cover. Sony Germany does that with every new game for PS3 oder PSP.

You'll get the japanese boxart without the USK-logo, so that's pretty much a perfectly localized cover.

Takao

Banned
depward said:
Just so everyone knows (it's actually a little confusing). In a recent preview I read (at *******, if we're still banning that site here @ GAF):

This is not how you do it! The symbol that shows is the shot the player used to hit the ball, not the button YOU should hit to hit the ball back!

In any case, the writer's preview was actually quite negative... which is a shame, because I found all of his negatives (not being able to hit the ball, thinking that it's more sim than arcade(wut)) to absolutely be the opposite of mine.

I guess we'll see tomorrow!

Yeah, I read that stick of joy preview, and neglected to post it for a reason, lol.

DiscoJer

Takao said:
Yeah, I read that stick of joy preview, and neglected to post it for a reason, lol.

To be fair though, the commenters corrected him and he owned up to the mistake.

It does perhaps illustrate the dangers of playing someone for a few minutes at E3 and trying to write a preview...

(Also strange that they don't have a full build, it's been reviewed already by some sites)

Takao

Banned
Poor Hugo, in the JP box art he looks sun burned, and in the EU box art, he looks sick. Maybe he saw the North American box art between shoots? :lol

Lkr

I just realized that ad-hoc party is available on North American PS3s. Is it compatible with any firmware? Goddamn I hope it is, GAF vs the world in Hot Shots Tennis

Takao

Banned
The game apparently has game sharing so that you can play with your cheapo friends, lol.

Lkr said:
I just realized that ad-hoc party is available on North American PS3s. Is it compatible with any firmware? Goddamn I hope it is, GAF vs the world in Hot Shots Tennis

Ad-Hoc Party will work with CFW PSPs.

Lkr

went to gamestop:
we don't have it in yet, maybe our shipment will be in tomorrow

walmart:
asked the lady since it wasn't out on the shelves, she said she put out all the new games last thursday. she didn't seem to understand when I said the game came out TODAY, but I didn't feel like making a scene

target:
had nothing out, at this point I just gave up hope and returned home

did anyone manage to get it? :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lkr said:
went to gamestop:

walmart:
asked the lady since it wasn't out on the shelves, she said she put out all the new games last thursday. she didn't seem to understand when I said the game came out TODAY, but I didn't feel like making a scene

target:

Not going to bother with the UMD and just snag if off of PSN.

depward

Lkr said:
went to gamestop:

walmart:

target:

Usually most game releases are shipped on Tuesdays and available at b&m stores on Wednesday. In some instances, this isn't the case... but if it's not a high-profile game release, it's usually this way.

This is a nice perk for us DD folks; we can grab it on the PSN Store on the shipping day

Lkr

is it on PSN yet? Is the PSN game just an eboot? I'll purchase it on PSN if there is a way to play it on a CFW PSP, otherwise I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow :(

Takao

Banned
Lkr said:
is it on PSN yet? Is the PSN game just an eboot? I'll purchase it on PSN if there is a way to play it on a CFW PSP, otherwise I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow :(

PSN updates are usually around 6PM EST. I don't think you'd be able to buy it off PSN, as the PSPs firmware was updated today, and I think that would lock you out of the store, or at least the game, no?

Lkr

Takao said:
PSN updates are usually around 6PM EST. I don't think you'd be able to buy it off PSN, as the PSPs firmware was updated today, and I think that would lock you out of the store, or at least the game, no?
I was planning to at least purchase on my PS3. I just want to play the damn game without jumping through hoops:D

Barrett2

Gonna check PSN before I leave work today, would be nice to play this puppy on the train ride home. I just started ch.5 of Peace Walker, think I need a break before continuing that. :lol

Lkr

does the mediago PC app not exist anymore? i can't get the site to load. or does that mean they are updating the store?

Top Bottom