• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

nero2082

H9mzN.png

fav mask defo

ugugug police station level is kinda hard. but i chose the monkey mask which wasnt very smart. It'd be really easy with the unicorn mask I think. I got pretty far, but something dumb would always happen. It sucks when you shoot a group of people and think they're all dead but one gets up and shoots you.

edit- I got past the fat dudes part, but got stuck on the next one (likely the last part). Probably easy with the unicorn mask since you have to use guns for sure.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is there a way to remap the lock-on button?

jgminto

Damn!

Completed it once and I am going through a second time to get the collectibles. Still a lot of fun but I have run into some bugs. A dog walked through a wall and then exited the level, stopping me from finishing, then I got stuck on the stairs on a later level. Also a few freezes here and there. Never ran into any problems like this on my first playthrough.

Atomski

Just finished it. Excellent game :)

Look forward to dlc and whatever else these guys make.

I do wish they had leaderboards in this game.

Jubbly

Game Update - November 5
The following updates have been made to the game. If you encounter any additional issues please email a description of the issue along with your system specs and OS to support@devolverdigital.com.

Gamepad support has been enabled. Make sure you have installed the newest drivers for your xbox controller before using this feature. You'll find them on Microsoft.com, just follow the link below

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

To disable the gamepad correctly (if you want to go back to mouse and keyboard) you might need to first switch the controller to OFF in the option menu AND restart your computer, otherwise the game might run with a small but constant slowdown until you do so.

Remapping the keys now works with arrowkeys as well.

Most reported bugs have been fixed. A slowdown problem and a bug with people getting stuck in stairs/elevators are still things we are looking into. If you encounter these, try running the game in 1280x768 which is the game's optimal resolution.
Note: We have noticed that that the bugs mentioned above have a tendency to accur when playing the game with windows running on a Mac and that should be taken care of with the Mac version of Hotline Miami that will be out soon.

A bonus stage ”Highballer” has been added, which will be unlocked when you complete the mainstory.

Additional environmental graphics.

More gore with the Jones mask now has additional graphical effects.

Additional sound effects.

The pot of boiling water has been updated.

More randomly placed weapons.

First and second boss battles slightly modified.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/219150/discussions/0/864950398902437081/

derExperte

Can someone check if the Win 8 issues are fixed, please?

I would but Steam hasn't updated my version yet.

edit: So Steam updated, I started the 6th level skipping the intro and i crashed as before. Started again with the intro and now no problem.

ScOULaris

Yes, the update is finally out! I can't wait to try out the bonus stage when I get home. :)

I really hope that the updates and additional content keep coming for this game. It's such a great base to expand upon.

derExperte

Still crashes randomly for me, almost completed level 10. :( I'm starting to regret buying this despite how good it is when it works.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
New map is okay, just a single floor, finished in a minute, but I'm looking forward to a new campaign with its own story and scoring.

Also using the Phil mask those guys just repeat Je suis whatever something something Fantastic Arcade, lol.

Might have been an okay level if intersected with the campaign, with the girl being your gf.

Spwn

Have you guys noticed throwing boiling water on a dog turns it into a white suit guy? For some reason I think that's great.

androidcandy

Neo Member
I just finished the "final" map and got the credits, but now I am on a new set of maps which is pretty cool after that ending I need some answers lol. Love the game, but an options menu would be nice for remapping keys. The only glitches I have had with the game so far is random crashing and stuff. Excited to play the new map!

Cmagus

Anyone able to get the gamepad support working? I go to the option but yes is not selectable in the menu and yes I have the latest drivers.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anyone able to get the gamepad support working? I go to the option but yes is not selectable in the menu and yes I have the latest drivers.
Press A/D (or whatever you set as WASD) for left/right in that sub menu, not the arrow keys. It's a bit wonky like that in some other menus as well. Gamepad support works fine but the game's infinitely more playable with the mouse imo.

BioHazard

What are the collectibles everyone is talking about? Are they pretty easy to find without a guide? If not, anyone have a good guide? I may play through it again to reveal more story stuff.

Cmagus

Press A/D (or whatever you set as WASD) for left/right in that sub menu, not the arrow keys. It's a bit wonky like that in some other menus as well. Gamepad support works fine but the game's infinitely more playable with the mouse imo.

Yeah one of the guys said they made a mistake on that menu they are updating it again soon.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What are the collectibles everyone is talking about? Are they pretty easy to find without a guide? If not, anyone have a good guide? I may play through it again to reveal more story stuff.

The collectibles talked about are the puzzle pieces. By collecting all of them, you can see the "true" ending. There's one in each of the first fifteen or so chapters. In the chapter select screen, it shows if you've collected the mask and/or puzzle piece for that level (they're the tiny icons).

You'll have to use the owl mask to see the puzzle pieces. They're not very well hidden, but they are kind of hard to see since they're tiny purple tiles. There are youtube guides if you ever can't find one.

Got this game thanks to this thread. And oh man, just the soundtrack is worth the price of admission. Awesome 80s flair. The game itself is also really cool. But I could be too slow for this kind of game. I die a lot, even in the earlier stages.

Just beat it.

The level I was having trouble with earlier was really easy with the unicorn mask.

The final boss glitched on me when I played last night.
The woman wouldn't do anything for a while so she was an easy kill. It put me in terrible position to beat the last part though. It worked properly today, and it was pretty easy to beat honestly.
Spoiler'd just in case.

The epilogue was okay. I made the connection to the two janitors being the developers and it all being a game when I met the guy in the little room in the Chinese restaurant. He looked like a programmer to me for some reason, and the computer. I don't recall many prior references to a "game", but I might be forgetting them.

It might be just me but I hardly used any of the unlocked weapons. It was always a bat, metal rod, and three guns. They didn't seem to spawn much. I didn't find any of the secrets (except the snake mask, but that was pretty obvious) or use many of the masks either. Going to go over some of it in a few weeks or so. Although I played the first couple of missions of it a few times and didn't notice any secrets. =(

Have you guys noticed throwing boiling water on a dog turns it into a white suit guy? For some reason I think that's great.

The same thing happened to me on the Assault stage with
the police officers
if I used the mask where I spawned with the knife. I also thought it was pretty cool, although yeah clearly a glitch.

Just finished the game. On the last boss and moving into the epilogue:
Last boss was boring compared to all the tripping balls lead up where you go to the VHS shop, pizza place, cocktail bar and find everyone dead, and the game getting really meta. I see that the epilogue goes more into the meta territory which I'm happy about. I'm looking forward to getting through the rest of it. It's been a very enjoyable game and easily the best £6.99 I've spent in ages.

Edit: Also the Nicolas Winding Refn inclusion in the special thanks satisfies me that this is basically the unauthorized Drive: The Game, which I'm fucking stoked about. I'm hoping there's more of this style of game. And I'd love to see it get the official Salis/Drive stamp at some point. Hopefully Drive 2 gets a sequel based on the Salis book and we get a Hotline Miami 2.

ScOULaris

Just got home and played the bonus level. Yeah, it's really barebones. One floor and no real context to it.

I still have high hopes for future story-based DLC, however. Maybe we'll even get a new music track or two?

Haunted

There are masks to collect (most awarded for highscore, some found in the levels themselves) and secret puzzle pieces to get an alternate ending, one hidden in each chapter. I think they're easy to find once you know what you're looking for and making a conscious effort of it. Wearing Rasmus also helps to make them stand out visually, at least a bit.

Here's the location for the first one in Prelude to get you started:
to the left of the starting door, near the train tracks towards the bottom. White pixel within some purple pixels.

edit: alternatively, there are Youtube videos showing each location as well (but that's boring) :p

sonicmj1

Ending related question:
I finished the puzzle before I beat the game for the first time. Is there any way to get the normal ending after you finish the puzzle? I can't disassemble it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
why would you ever need a mask other than the horse?

zkylon

zkylewd
Just beaten this and I'm trying to find all the puzzle letters. The key-arranging seems to be bugged as all hell, they seem to set themselves randomly, even if I try them in every single spot...

Also,
I really liked you could just kill mask guy, that was pretty crazy. The two guys at the end I presume are the two devs, right?

Just beaten this and I'm trying to find all the puzzle letters. The key-arranging seems to be bugged as all hell, they seem to set themselves randomly, even if I try them in every single spot...

Also,
I really liked you could just kill mask guy, that was pretty crazy. The two guys at the end I presume are the two devs, right?

That was the implication

goblin

Ending related question:
I finished the puzzle before I beat the game for the first time. Is there any way to get the normal ending after you finish the puzzle? I can't disassemble it.

Yes.
To get the normal ending, don't use the computer in the final chapter.

Top Bottom