• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

Kayo-kun

I just finished the game after playing it constantly for two days. What a great game, one of the best ones I've played this year. I love the unique style and gamplay.

Yeah, I just started experiencing crashes and errors last night. I haven't gotten that far though. I like the game a lot so far. Not a fan of the lack of options too. Also being able to check the controls while in a level would be nice.

Jubbly

From the official Twitter account:

Update on the update - looking at Sunday for various bug fixes, controller support, and a new map… yfrog.com/mn725xp

725x.png

ScOULaris

Holy shit! There's gonna be a new map added possibly as soon as this Sunday? This bodes very well for the future. I hope that the sales add up for Hotline Miami so we can continue to see it supported via updates and expansions.

This game is the epitome of "it left me wanting more."

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
While I'll gladly take another map, I'd like to see an "expansion pack" down the road rather than a bunch of random maps, going forward.

A couple of articles on Gamasutra were recently posted about this game.

This one talks about the game being way too violent.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DevinWilson/20121026/180284/Why_Hotline_Miami.php

And this one talks about their being meaning in the the game and is pretty thought-provoking. I never even came to this idea but after reading that I wonder if that's what the developers intended all along.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/RamiIsmail/20121029/180408/Why_Hotline_Miami_is_an_important_game.php

Tenck

At the beginning? Yeah, just came here to complain about it. Win8 64Bit. And I had stop the Spooler service to get the game to start. Let's hope the patch scheduled for today or tomorrow fixes the major problems.

Yeah Windows 8 is the culprit apparently. Really kills any motivation to play the game right now. Especially having to wait till Sunday :/

Ciastek3214

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DevinWilson/20121026/180284/Why_Hotline_Miami.php

And this one talks about their being meaning in the the game and is pretty thought-provoking. I never even came to this idea but after reading that I wonder if that's what the developers intended all along.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/RamiIsmail/20121029/180408/Why_Hotline_Miami_is_an_important_game.php

Jesus Fucking Christ that Gamasutra guy is so fucking stupid it made my head implode. (first guy, that is)

pa22word

I haven’t played Hotline Miami. I’m not going to buy Hotline Miami. I’m not going to pirate the game, either. I have no interest in playing the game because I don’t see what there is about Hotline Miami that isn’t pure adolescent nonsense.

tumblr_m9s06d0Ex31rbrlneo1_400.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow, what the fuck @ that gamasutra article. I guess the Clockwork Orange, in book and film is just mindless teenager violence, too, right?

I can't believe someone actually writes about games for a living and even considers possible to comment on a game without having playing it. It shows a complete disrespect and lack of understanding of the medium he's supposed to be an expert in.

And if anything, Hotline Miami is probably one of the more honest violent games I've ever played. It glorifies violence, but you feel dirty after playing, and you don't ever feel like your actions are in any way justified, unlike Call of Duty or whatever.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Wow, what the fuck @ that gamasutra article. I guess the Clockwork Orange, in book and film is just mindless teenager violence, too, right?

I can't believe someone actually writes about games for a living and even considers possible to comment on a game without having playing it. It shows a complete disrespect and lack of understanding of the medium he's supposed to be an expert in.

And if anything, Hotline Miami is probably one of the more honest violent games I've ever played. It glorifies violence, but you feel dirty after playing, and you don't ever feel like your actions are in any way justified, unlike Call of Duty or whatever.

I don't know what kind of guidelines Gamasutra has for publishing content on its site, but I don't get the sense that that guy gets paid to write slop like that.

Danny Dudekisser

Jesus Fucking Christ that Gamasutra guy is so fucking stupid it made my head implode. (first guy, that is)

Wow. I read the first one, and that guy is a fucking idiot. Which is unfortunate, because Gamasutra generally has some pretty bright people writing for them. The fact that he even brings up sexism as a possible concern in this game is more or less proof that he's yet another "journalist" with no way to justify his existence apart from latching onto non-issues that people were sick of hearing about half a year ago. His platitudes on video game violence confirmed it.

Where the fuck do they find these people?

"I make games and music. I'm a graduate student at the University at Buffalo. I'm a Buddhist and a vegan. I like Testuya Mizuguchi and Jason Rohrer."

I played tonight without any errors :)

vidcons

Banned
“There’s even a strange vein of sweetness, as a female presence introduced into the player’s apartment in an early mission sees it gradually evolve from dingy cesspit to clean, decorated home.”

yo fuck you rps for writing this and fuck this guy for reading it

the plot around the action is straight noir and this fuck is all "sexism" because clearly they're advocating it instead of using it as some minor development. character cares about girl he saves. would you cry sexism if the male falls in love with the lady or if she falls in love with him. they both get into one another through w/e happens off screen and its so minor and not saying anything other than Final Mission Setups that fuck this guy.

fuck him in his uncultured Butthead.

GorillaJu

The anti-violence complaint bothers me with Hotline Miami, because its one of the more honest depictions of human violence that I've come across.

Haunted

The anti-violence complaint bothers me with Hotline Miami, because its one of the more honest depictions of human violence that I've come across.
I'm not surprised that some people are turned off at first glance(just that someone would feel so strongly as to write a blog about it). I don't think that guy deserves a lot of attention, it's just one blog written from a position of ignorance. Who who really cares that one guy doesn't get it and wrote an incorrect article, let's move on.

Very excited to see the new map in action.

So, this is the indie Spec Ops The Line?

Reading that has me more inclined to play this.
Spec Ops The Line is very deliberate in its intentions, while this one is much more subtle - which in turn does leave more things up to interpretation. It's completely possible and valid to judge Hotline Miami at face value, just taking it as a filthy combo shooter executing on its 80s premise with style.

Jubbly

Cactus is a true artiste it would appear:

"I'm not making games to make money," he told VG247.

"I do want to make money, but it's not my major intention with my creativity. I just like expressing myself, making cool stuff, and like, if you don't want to pay for the game but want to play it anyway, I'm not going to stop people from doing that."

"I want to make enough money to make bigger games, and that' probably not something I'm able to do if I have to get a job, and of course I want to be able to pay rent and buy food from what I do," continued Söderström. "So, we're looking to make another game as soon as possible, and hopefully it will turn out as good as Hotline Miami."

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/02/hotline-miami-creator-talks-piracy-not-making-games-for-the-money/

Vol5

I'm "embarrassed" for the journalist in the first column. Complaining about a game he hasn't even played?

This is one of the best games of the year and amazingly introspective. Gaming always needs a game to push boundaries and shock. HM is that game....for me at least.

Jubbly

I'm "embarrassed" for the journalist in the first column. Complaining about a game he hasn't even played?

This is one of the best games of the year and amazingly introspective. Gaming always needs a game to push boundaries and shock. HM is that game....for me at least.

The writer of the column isn't a journalist. Note that it is posted in Gamasutra's Blog section. Clicking the author's name takes you to the profile page, which reveals the following:

I make games and music. I'm a graduate student at the University at Buffalo. I'm a Buddhist and a vegan. I like Testuya Mizuguchi and Jason Rohrer.

sonicmj1

I heard scattered good things about this game, followed some links from the OT, and then bought it on a whim. I played through the first two parts, and then replayed them again with the Rasmus mask on to get the secret letters. It's surprisingly fast, intense, and satisfying.

Can someone tell me in vague terms what the point of the puzzle is? I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing by trying to get all these letters.

Danny Dudekisser

I heard scattered good things about this game, followed some links from the OT, and then bought it on a whim. I played through the first two parts, and then replayed them again with the Rasmus mask on to get the secret letters. It's surprisingly fast, intense, and satisfying.

Can someone tell me in vague terms what the point of the puzzle is? I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing by trying to get all these letters.

They're relevant in the last level.

Kayo-kun

The second article written by Rami Ismail is great. I completely agree with what he said about the game making you consider what you're doing and why you're doing it.

if heart of darkness was a mashup of a clockwork orange and drive then maybe, sure, someone might let that slide

but no, it is not as stupid as The Line.

Not the themes as a comparison, but the message of subverting the ideas of a violent video game.

How was The Line stupid?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I can't get enough of this game, tomorrow's update can't come soon enough since I'll probably get tired of replaying levels pretty soon.

Anyways, did we ever figure out how to trigger context sensitive kills? Every now and then I'll instakill a dude through a doorway or take a human shield, and I have no idea how it happens.

Lain

I can't get enough of this game, tomorrow's update can't come soon enough since I'll probably get tired of replaying levels pretty soon.

Anyways, did we ever figure out how to trigger context sensitive kills? Every now and then I'll instakill a dude through a doorway or take a human shield, and I have no idea how it happens.

If you have a gun, you can take enemies as shields when hitting spacebar. Without a gun though you kill them.

Corto

I think that you use the unconscious guys as shields if you have a gun equipped and press space near them. I think. The mouse wheel press to lock aim stopped working for me after the tutorial. hmmm weird.

tengiants

The Devin Wilson article is controversial and dumb because it's just click-bait. Is Gamasutra owned by Fox news? I bet Devin Wilson doesn't even exist. Please don't pay attention to that shit.

sonicmj1

Beat it. It was hard to tear myself away. The final boss battle was obnoxious, and I managed to die as I beat it somehow
because I happened to be standing next to the guy when he shot himself in the head
. Had to do it over again with the "stage cleared" music, which caused a small music bug when I actually did it right.

Whatever. It was definitely worth my ten bucks. Mechanically, it feels amazing when you succeed. You get enough foreknowledge that you can plan ahead, but when you act, you have to act quickly and precisely, so it's great when a plan comes together as you wanted.

As for the storyline, it's intentionally very vague, and I don't know how the "true ending" stuff makes me feel about it. But I like the aesthetic a lot. The neon colors, the scan line filter, and the way the level uneasily turns about as you run through it makes the game feel both grungy and psychedelic, and it fits well with the exaggerated violence and the protagonist's unreliable perspective.

I kind of want to play through a bunch of it again.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This game... this fucking game. Fast as hell, challenging, and addictive.

Just started earlier and made it to Hot & Heavy but I keep hitting a crash that I've been able to replicate. On the third part of the level where you open the door and immediately push the guy over, the game crashes. I think it has something to do with breaking one of the corner pieces of glass because my third crash was delayed for a second until the glass broke.

sonicmj1

Played through most of the early part of the game again. If you go balls-out with guns, it's not hard to rack up some nice combos.

The craziest point totals I scored, though, were when I used the Carl mask, which you can find pretty late in the game. The drill execution is practically a 5000 point bonus on top of a normal kill, and it gives you a huge amount of boldness points. I managed to hit the triple figures in Chapter 4, I think.

This game is fun, but I'm starting to feel like it's bad for me. I should do other things.

ArjanN

Played through most of the early part of the game again. If you go balls-out with guns, it's not hard to rack up some nice combos.

The craziest point totals I scored, though, were when I used the Carl mask, which you can find pretty late in the game. The drill execution is practically a 5000 point bonus on top of a normal kill, and it gives you a huge amount of boldness points. I managed to hit the triple figures in Chapter 4, I think.

This game is fun, but I'm starting to feel like it's bad for me. I should do other things.

With the drill mask you're pretty much guaranteed an A+ as long as you drill execute everyone.

RyuHayate

I completed this last night; it's simply awesome. Great soundtrack, challenging yet never frustrating, top-notch art direction, super interesting story... hell just everything about it is great.

So, what's the general take on the epilogue here?
Does the protagonist just think he killed the biker? Or was the biker's conclusion kind of a "what if" scenario?

Kayo-kun

I completed this last night; it's simply awesome. Great soundtrack, challenging yet never frustrating, top-notch art direction, super interesting story... hell just everything about it is great.

So, what's the general take on the epilogue here?
Does the protagonist just think he killed the biker? Or was the biker's conclusion kind of a "what if" scenario?

I believe that the first protagonist went into a coma/died after getting beat down by the biker. Everything after that is imagined by the protagonist. If I remember correctly, things started to get weird after that chapter and the protagonist started to see the zombies etc. I believe the the ending with the biker is accurate one.

Top Bottom