• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

nero2082

holy fuck ending blew my mind, didn't expect mindfuck story in such little indie game...this game, this fuckin game o0

10/10

Just picked this up and am 1 chapter in. Really liking it, except for my 'generic' style rating... how could I be more stylish?

Edit: Thanks for the tips, I was throwing and using whatever items were around, but I guess I was luring them out a bit

Haunted

Just picked this up and am 1 chapter in. Really liking it, except for my 'generic' style rating... how could I be more stylish?
Be quick, use different weapons (melee and guns), don't be afraid to throw weapons, don't wait too long for enemies, try to chain kills together for combos and always move around.

I've gotten a "generic" rating when I did the ol' Goldeneye N64 trick of getting their attention and shooting them all as they came through a narrow doorway - boring.

edit: that said, simply keep playing - as the complexity of the floors ramps up, so do the opportunities for more elaborate kill-chains. The first couple chapters are little more than tutorial/intro bits with few enemies.

Well written article. I enjoyed it.

Same, very well put. It's roughly what I got out of the game. Simple but effective. I definitely agree that the violence probably made me more uneasy than any other game i have played, and while the graphics are part of the reason, the fact you are led to endlessly repeat the same cycle of murders on every floor (repeat x20 on some floors), without any time to think, and with the throbbing music, played a probably bigger role.

Can't wait for the DLC, and hopefully, the vita version.

Just got this game but the music isn't working. This a common problem?
I had a weird bug under windows 7 where the special effects were coming from headphones, and music from the computer; volumes were controlled independently. Try fiddling with your primary audio device the audio menu?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
should there be an icon for steam when you push out a desktop button? I'm getting an empty page instead of a proper icon...

pa22word

LastWindow said:
Aww, boo hoo.

Responses like these are aggravating to no end, tbqh. Despite the game being pretty great all around, there are some rough edges that need to be filed down. If you disagreed with his complaints please actually form a counter-response other than "suck it up, pansy", because that really benefits no one and adds nothing to the thread.

Can't stop listening to the soundtrack... too bad I'm broke as fucking balls to be able to afford a bloody indietitle...

*cries in a corner*

meh I gots some extra OT pay coming my way so drop me your steam id and i'll buy it for you on thursday once my check is posted

zkylon

zkylewd
Loving the game so far (I'm at chapter 4 or 5 I think) but I gotta play it in short bursts or I get motion sickness...

Is this plug and play with a 360 controller yet, or do you have to do some sort of workaround? I'm REALLY dumb when it comes to PC stuff...

FdbmD.png

Fantastic :D.

Whenever I try to play the game menu just rapidly cycles through all of the choices. Even if I hit Enter at the right moment and start the story mode, I can only move upward. Nobody has helped me on the Steam forums either. Anyone got any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Raptomex

Whenever I try to play the game menu just rapidly cycles through all of the choices. Even if I hit Enter at the right moment and start the story mode, I can only move upward. Nobody has helped me on the Steam forums either. Anyone got any ideas on how to solve this problem?
I had this issue when I attempted to remap the controls. Go to your install folder and move or delete the "keyboard.dat" file. It should generate a new one when you play the game again (back it up just in case). That worked for me. But again, after I remapped the controls incorrectly.

I had this issue when I attempted to remap the controls. Go to your install folder and move or delete the "keyboard.dat" file. It should generate a new one when you play the game again (back it up just in case). That worked for me. But again, after I remapped the controls incorrectly.

Yeah, it happened after I tried to do the same. I can't for the life of me find the install folder though.

EDIT: Found it in the common folder. That worked. Thanks for your help!

commissar

So was the stealth level eveyone seems to hate the part where
you wake up in the hospital and have to get out
?

Also I can't find the save game for the gog version, anyone know where it is?
Still running original release :/

NZA36

Neo Member
easily worth 10 bucks. if you ever wanted to see david lynch direct scarface then this is about as close as you will get (dont know why you would want that, though. LOL)

just imagine these guys with a bigger budget...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/219150/discussions/0/864949719199014777/

Been using a 360 controller for a while now and it works fine, I prefer it. Pad support is already here, you just have to do the simple setup described in this thread.

Yeah, I saw that. Thing is, I'm such an idiot with this stuff. When they say "Put a file named "xbox2" (no file extension!) in your game directory ( Steam\steamapps\common\hotline_miami\ )" I have NO idea how to go about doing that. Like I said, I'm an idiot about this stuff...

dyergram

Ok I worked out the issue with the pad I was being a spaz, anyone get this to run in 16:9 without borders? Also dat music.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Yeah, I saw that. Thing is, I'm such an idiot with this stuff. When they say "Put a file named "xbox2" (no file extension!) in your game directory ( Steam\steamapps\common\hotline_miami\ )" I have NO idea how to go about doing that. Like I said, I'm an idiot about this stuff...

1. Go into your hotline miami folder
2. Right click and select new -> text document and name it XBox2
3. Delete the .txt extension so instead of seeing XBox2.txt it'll just be XBox2

muffs92

I don't know how to get rid of the file extension in win7 as it doesn't have an extension rather it just categorizes it as a text document.

Any tips would be appreciated.

dyergram

I don't know how to get rid of the file extension in win7 as it doesn't have an extension rather it just categorizes it as a text document.

Use save as in notepad then put the file name in quotation marks "xbox2".

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Sure
1. Go to to your control panel and go to Appearance and Personalization alternatively you can just type Appearance and Personalization in the search bar of the start menu
2. Click on folder options
3. Click on the view tab at the top
4. Uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types"

That should unhide your extensions then you can rename it.

chiablo

1. In the folder, hit the ALT key to bring up the menu options.
2. Click Toos, then Folder Options.
3. Go to View
4. Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and click OK.

*dammit, I was beaten by a whole 6 minutes. :(

Any word a patch? Game keeps crashing during the Hot&Heavy mission. I want to play this :/

I'm having the same problem. I read somewhere that a patch is supposed to be out sometime this weekend and it fixes the crash on this stage. I've already gone back to previous missions and scored A+ on them just because I want more of this game. It's a shame it's so busted for some of us--anyone with Windows 8.

muffs92

Thank you all for the quickness.
Although that seems unnecessary compared to being able to delete the extension.
But yay it works!

Tenck

This game is pissing me off so much. Not because it's difficult, but because in Chapter 6 it keeps crashing. Anyone else have this problem?

-This game's atmosphere is so damn cool and enigmatic.
-the soundtrack is amazing
-the second boss and his cronies can fuck right off, time to take a break

ArjanN

That's just about when I figured it out, prior to that I just kind of hoped for the best before I ambushed a guy

I think I beat the game the first time before I found that out. You need really need it either IMO, seems more like a concession for people playing with a controller.

derExperte

This game is pissing me off so much. Not because it's difficult, but because in Chapter 6 it keeps crashing. Anyone else have this problem?

At the beginning? Yeah, just came here to complain about it. Win8 64Bit. And I had stop the Spooler service to get the game to start. Let's hope the patch scheduled for today or tomorrow fixes the major problems.

Top Bottom